Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-11, 05:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

I'm really not "getting" what it is that is so different about Conan that people don't get him, what exactly is there to get or not get? He's not doing intellectual British comedy like Beyond the Fringe or anything like that.
He does dumb silly shit like everyone else. What is he supposed to do, use subtitles explaining the jokes?

At the same time, I'm disappointed with the TBS show and I wish Late Night would come back in some way, shape, or form. When he returned to NBC to make that cameo on Jimmy Fallon, that felt like a nice shot in the arm (Also noticed his beard is back). He should have hijacked the set and took his old show back.

Last edited by HUG-H; 10-10-11 at 06:05 AM.
Old 10-10-11, 08:25 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HUG-H
I'm really not "getting" what it is that is so different about Conan that people don't get him, what exactly is there to get or not get? He's not doing intellectual British comedy like Beyond the Fringe or anything like that.
He does dumb silly shit like everyone else. What is he supposed to do, use subtitles explaining the jokes?

At the same time, I'm disappointed with the TBS show and I wish Late Night would come back in some way, shape, or form. When he returned to NBC to make that cameo on Jimmy Fallon, that felt like a nice shot in the arm (Also noticed his beard is back). He should have hijacked the set and took his old show back.
If you don't see a difference between Conan and Leno, you simply aren't looking.

Conan even did a sketch when he first took over Late Night (that I found scarily prescient) in which he showed older people some clips of his show and they almost universally hated him.
Old 10-10-11, 09:22 AM

^ Ah, no, I know the difference between when someone is bringing it and when someone is phoning it in, Leno is the latter.

What is it with Conan that turns off older people? While we're at it, what do these people think of all the other hosts? Why is all the pressure on Conan to have Leno's demographics? Would they hate Jimmy Fallon if he got the Tonight Show?

Maybe Jay Leno is really the Reader's Digest version of him and Kimmel, Letterman and Fallon.

Last edited by HUG-H; 10-10-11 at 09:29 AM.
Old 10-10-11, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,888 Posts

What is it with Conan that turns off older people? While we're at it, what do these people think of all the other hosts?
Jay Leno is Gasoline Alley and Conan is The Far Side.
Old 10-10-11, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

What is it with Conan that turns off older people.
People just like what they like. Remember when Firefly was cancelled? Arrested Development? Or even when NBC backed out on Conan. I hold them all very near and dear. I think it's irrational that people don't love and adore them the way I do. You can just hook people's brains and invade TV culture, or you're stuck with your niche audience. Some shows can afford it. Some can't. Same thing goes for movies.
Old 10-11-11, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86
Did you ever watch Late Night at all? Conan's show has never been about big budgets and trying to be the flashiest show on television. He does a relatively basic show with goofy over the top sketches. It's all part of the charm of the show to me at least.
If you recall, Conan's Tonight Show set was big budget, and his TBS set is anything but. He wishes he had the budget he doesn't have now.
Old 10-11-11, 05:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by siddd5
If you recall, Conan's Tonight Show set was big budget, and his TBS set is anything but. He wishes he had the budget he doesn't have now.
As if NBC would've let it be anything but big budget?
Old 10-11-11, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So, for 4 months out of his 17 year career he had a big budget with the Tonight Show. What's your point?
Old 10-12-11, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

The Tonight Show had a bigger budget because NBC considers it one of their top shows so obviously no matter who gets that spot will have a larger budget. I see no proof that he wants a bigger budget for his show. The cheap budget jokes and skits that he puts on are something that he's joked about for years on his show.
Old 10-12-11, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I could've bet, if he stayed at NBC, that within 2 years, he would've been back at 11:30 because Jay's 30 minute lead-in show would've been a bust.
It's also just as possible that NBC would have waited a few months and then expanded Leno to an hour and Conan would be back to 12:30. Conan is right back where he started, but with a different name for his show. And what about Jimmy Fallon? What would happen to him if he had to go all the way back to 1:30?
Old 10-12-11, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Meh. I can't say I miss Conan on NBC. Sorry, folks, just gotta say it the way I see it. I think Fallon is far better host of Late Night than Conan ever was.
Old 10-12-11, 11:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by calhoun07
Meh. I can't say I miss Conan on NBC. Sorry, folks, just gotta say it the way I see it. I think Fallon is far better host of Late Night than Conan ever was.
Old 10-13-11, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

I hope that is a joke.
Old 10-13-11, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Fallon isn't bad but give me a break. The best hosts on right now are Conan and Ferguson in my opinion.
Old 10-13-11, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Fallon isn't bad but give me a break. The best hosts on right now are Conan and Ferguson in my opinion.
Ferguson is brilliant in the way he's almost an anti-host. He often has guests on who are not plugging stuff... and even when some come on to plug stuff he will instead has a real conversation with them. I tried watching Fallon one night when he had Louie CK on and it just came off as feeling smarmy. Even Letterman is so paint-by-numbers it is like he acting out a scene on a sitcom where he is portraying a talk-show host.
Old 10-13-11, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fallon may not be as good of a host as Conan, but he has a better show overall. It's just more fun to watch. If people accuse Letterman of being paint-by-the-numbers (and he is), Conan is just as bad about the routine.

And, yes, Ferguson >>>> all of them.
Old 10-13-11, 08:31 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

but at the same time I think some of the people there he's still friends with (I'd imagine Fallon is one).
Fallon's show is exec produced by Lorne Michaels, who gave Conan his big break with SNL and also by suggesting Conan to NBC for Late Night in first place. Conan has always said he owed his career to Lorne.
Old 10-13-11, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pinata242
Fallon may not be as good of a host as Conan, but he has a better show overall. It's just more fun to watch. If people accuse Letterman of being paint-by-the-numbers (and he is), Conan is just as bad about the routine.

And, yes, Ferguson >>>> all of them.
To me Fallon seems like he tries too hard to get people to like him. I think he's funny in small doses but he's not as consistent as Conan. Conan can be samey at times I'll agree but his show is still enjoyable if you ask me.
Old 10-13-11, 01:51 PM

I've only watched Fallon when he's had great guests on, other than that, I avoid NBC Late Night after they forced Conan out. When I did watch, I never cared for his monologues, and they do the "thank-you notes" routine way too much.

Conan was funny when the self-defense guy was on last night (early this morning rather, it didn't come on until 2 AM because of play-offs).
I like the TBS show, it's great that he's allowed to say things like "shit" on the network, but I still miss the old original show.

Last edited by HUG-H; 10-13-11 at 01:56 PM.
Old 08-18-12, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

NBC's "The Tonight Show" is laying off 20 staffers, and host Jay Leno agreed to a pay cut to save as many jobs as possible, a person familiar with the situation told TheWrap.

NBC declined to provide a reason for the layoffs. The late-night institution has slipped in the ratings since the messy exit of Conan O'Brien and Jay Leno's reinstatement as its host in 2010. But it remains the No. 1 show in late night in total viewers and the 25-54 demographic most important to late-night advertisers.

The amount of Leno's pay cut was unclear. The host is known for banking his entire "Tonight Show" paycheck and living off his pay from standup gigs and appearances.
Old 08-18-12, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 08-18-12, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

He is still #1. Also, pretty good of him taking a pay cut to save jobs. Would Conan do the same?

Last edited by resinrats; 08-19-12 at 01:44 AM.
Old 08-18-12, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by resinrats
He is still #1. Also, pretty good of him taking a pay cut to save jobs. Would Conan do the same?
yes

didn't he pay his staffers when they weren't on the air?
Old 08-18-12, 11:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by redrum
yes

didn't he pay his staffers when they weren't on the air?
yeah, he did. resinrats is obviously completely ignorant.
Old 08-19-12, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
yeah, he did. resinrats is obviously completely ignorant.
Well good for Conan then. Yep. I totally confess I don't bother to reread 58 page threads. Just remember people thinking Leno is the devil.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.