Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-10, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Re: NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
Leno's rating are lower now that Conan's were, as I understand it.
I don't think overall they are worse, but I think in the 18-49 demo that they covet, he's significantly lower.
Old 04-29-10, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought the whole point of having Conan take over was because he was younger and he would bring 18-49yr olds.

Then when Leno came back, and NBC was dishing out the info about Leno's audience being (mostly) 50+, I knew Leno's 18-49 demo was going to suck.
Old 04-29-10, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
Leno's rating are lower now that Conan's were, as I understand it.
Did your understanding of that come from post 1200 a week ago?
Old 04-30-10, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Conan interview on 60 Minutes this Sunday.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100430/..._conan_o_brien

O'Brien: I wouldn't have done what Jay Leno did

NEW YORK – In his first post-"Tonight" show interview, Conan O'Brien said that if he had been in Jay Leno's shoes, he would not have taken back the show less than a year after publicly handing it off to someone else.
"That's me, you know," O'Brien told Steve Kroft of "60 Minutes" in an interview to be broadcast Sunday, excerpts of which were released Thursday by CBS. "Everyone's got their own way ... of doing things."
O'Brien, in the midst of a sold-out concert tour, said he decided to leave NBC because "this relationship is going to be toxic and maybe we just need to go our separate ways."
It was the comic's first interview about the late-night television drama that played out this winter.
He has since been hired by TBS, where he will launch a talk show in November.
In a transition laid out five years earlier, Leno left "Tonight" last year and O'Brien took over. NBC worried about losing Leno to a competitor so the network gave him a prime-time show five nights a week.
That failed on two fronts: affiliates objected to Leno's low ratings and threatened to pull the show, and O'Brien's poor "Tonight" show ratings enabled CBS' David Letterman to surge ahead to first place.
NBC tried to please both comics by offering Leno a half-hour show at 11:35 p.m. and letting O'Brien keep the "Tonight" show name and begin a half hour later. O'Brien said no and Leno, who never wanted to leave "Tonight" in the first place, slipped back into his old home.
"I wouldn't have done that," O'Brien said.
Asked by Kroft what he would have done, O'Brien said, "Done something else, go someplace else. I mean, that's just me."
O'Brien said he didn't see the point in giving everything to a relationship with NBC that seemed to have no future.
"I'm not sure these people even really want me here," he said.
During the few weeks between his public decision and actual exit, O'Brien became something of a folk hero. An Internet "Team Coco" tribe rose up to support him, and O'Brien's ratings soared for shows with pointed jabs about his bosses.
NBC and a Leno spokesman had no comment about O'Brien's statements.
His buyout by NBC forbade O'Brien from giving interviews that could be printed or telecast before May 1; the "60 Minutes" telecast will be May 2.
CBS' release of the interview excerpts may be a technical violation of that deal, but NBC wasn't expected to pursue it.
Old 04-30-10, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope Conan all the success on TBS but enough with the whining already. Bottom line is he forced NBC's hand to do all of this in the first place, threatening to leave them for FOX unless they offered him the Tonight Show. Some will say Leno should have grown a pair and said no, but he's not likely to do that to his boss any more than we could do that to our boss (or bosses.) We don't know the situation he was in and why he had to play along and agree with it. So the bottom line is Conan forced all of this on NBC in the first place. And I doubt Leno would have done that. He waited until Carson was ready to retire. But that's just Leno.
Old 04-30-10, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by calhoun07
Bottom line is he forced NBC's hand to do all of this in the first place, threatening to leave them for FOX unless they offered him the Tonight Show.
Source?
Old 04-30-10, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

NBC didn't have to give Conan the Tonight Show to begin with. They could have just said Jay is our guy and unless there isn't some other deal we can make, thanks for your service and good luck to you in the future (that is if Conan "demanded it").

NBC got themselves into this mess. Jeff Zucker was betting Leno would not be the ratings juggernaut he was 5/6 years ago when the deal was made and he was wrong. As a way to keep Leno he was betting a 10pm show would work. It didn't. In fact it was an utter failure. How does this guy still have a job?
Old 04-30-10, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by WallyOPD
Source?
Set the Wayback Machine to 2004.

Bottom line is he forced NBC's hand to do all of this in the first place, threatening to leave them for FOX unless they offered him the Tonight Show. Some will say Leno should have grown a pair and said no, but he's not likely to do that to his boss any more than we could do that to our boss (or bosses.) We don't know the situation he was in and why he had to play along and agree with it. So the bottom line is Conan forced all of this on NBC in the first place. And I doubt Leno would have done that. He waited until Carson was ready to retire. But that's just Leno.
And we're back to the circular logic. It's Conan's fault because he wanted more than to sit at 12:35 after 15 years. It's Leno's fault because he agreed to retire gracefully with a 5 year warning. It's NBC's fault for not understanding how ratings and local markets work. Blah, blah, blah.

Everyone caused this mess. However, how they all responded to the different situations as they arose are the real telling signs of who these people really are.
Old 04-30-10, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by WallyOPD
Source?
Google it. It was all over in the media at the time this all blew up. Oh, wait...that's right, nobody can say anything bad about Saint Conan. Oops, my bad.

Look, the guy is talented and funny, but he's not the innocent bystander in all of this that he seems to want people to believe. Or at least that some of you want to believe.

My problem with all of this are the idiots who want to believe Leno was innocent in all of this or that Conan was innocent in all of this and these poor old souls were just screwed over by the NBC machine. Both had their cut throat sides that they didn't show the camera. You might want to try doing some reading on this at various websites. I am not going to spoon feed it to you because if you're saying "Source?" it's doubtful you even want to read it, or will dismiss it if you do.
Old 04-30-10, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pinata242
Set the Wayback Machine to 2004.

And we're back to the circular logic. It's Conan's fault because he wanted more than to sit at 12:35 after 15 years. It's Leno's fault because he agreed to retire gracefully with a 5 year warning. It's NBC's fault for not understanding how ratings and local markets work. Blah, blah, blah.

Everyone caused this mess. However, how they all responded to the different situations as they arose are the real telling signs of who these people really are.
Sure everybody in this is responsible in some way. No doubt. But the genesis of it all was to keep an antsy Conan happy in the first place five years ago.
Old 04-30-10, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Google it. It was all over in the media at the time this all blew up. Oh, wait...that's right, nobody can say anything bad about Saint Conan. Oops, my bad.

Look, the guy is talented and funny, but he's not the innocent bystander in all of this that he seems to want people to believe. Or at least that some of you want to believe.

My problem with all of this are the idiots who want to believe Leno was innocent in all of this or that Conan was innocent in all of this and these poor old souls were just screwed over by the NBC machine. Both had their cut throat sides that they didn't show the camera. You might want to try doing some reading on this at various websites. I am not going to spoon feed it to you because if you're saying "Source?" it's doubtful you even want to read it, or will dismiss it if you do.
There were rumors that other networks would pursue Conan heavily for a 11:30 show, but I hadn't ever heard that Conan had specifically threatened to walk to Fox if he didn't get the Tonight Show. But continue your erroneous assumptions that I'm some blind Conan fanboy, it's somewhat amusing.
Old 04-30-10, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Are you suggesting Conan's contract with NBC was coming to a natural end and it wasn't necessarily a threat he made against the network? Le Gasp!
Old 04-30-10, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 727 Likes on 531 Posts

If he had never asked (for the Tonight Show), we would never have known. I don't think it was a threat. Conan asked. And NBC obliged.
Old 04-30-10, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

Why do you even post in here seriously? Every time I've seen you make a post about this whole deal you just seem to crap on Conan. We all get it you obviously don't care a lot for Conan. Quit posting about it. NBC didn't have to give him The Tonight Show to begin with. It was asked and they made the choice of letting him have it in 5 years with a fair warning for Leno. Wouldn't you want an advancement too after being with a company for so long? NBC wanted to have their cake and eat it too. They wanted to keep both guys around as long as they could and basically got 5 years extra out of Conan, when he could have gone someplace else to establish a new show.
Old 04-30-10, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts

Bottom line is he forced NBC's hand to do all of this in the first place, threatening to leave them for FOX unless they offered him the Tonight Show.
I googled it and found no such reports that Conan "threatened" anyone. You're going to have to help me out.
Old 05-01-10, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Some will say Leno should have grown a pair and said no, but he's not likely to do that to his boss any more than we could do that to our boss (or bosses.)
Most of us aren't millionaire celebrity TV personalities. Leno had just as much leverage if not more.

I don't think Conan is a saint, but he's sounds alot more honorable than Jay Leno.

Leno's BS doesn't even make sense. Why did he even bother to ask NBC if Conan was okay with the bump, if he was going to go through with it regardless?
Old 05-01-10, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The real scandal was when Jay Leno hired a hitman to murder the cheating husband of one of his assistants.

don't believe me? google it. it was all over the internet five years ago.
Old 05-02-10, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 727 Likes on 531 Posts

Old 05-02-10, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

According to Bababooey, the Howard Stern Show is pursuing Conan for an interview. That's the one I want to hear!
Old 05-02-10, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Check out the fourth video down on here to see Obama's jab at Jay Leno at the White House Correspondent's Dinner!

http://tv.gawker.com/5528978/obama-j...ondents-dinner
Old 05-02-10, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I hope Conan all the success on TBS but enough with the whining already. Bottom line is he forced NBC's hand to do all of this in the first place, threatening to leave them for FOX unless they offered him the Tonight Show. Some will say Leno should have grown a pair and said no, but he's not likely to do that to his boss any more than we could do that to our boss (or bosses.) We don't know the situation he was in and why he had to play along and agree with it. So the bottom line is Conan forced all of this on NBC in the first place. And I doubt Leno would have done that. He waited until Carson was ready to retire. But that's just Leno.
I keep hearing about Conan's 'whining' but it seems to me he's taken everything in stride. Sure he was a little bitter in his last few weeks, but I would be too, working for a bunch of fucking douchebags who not only were firing me, but barring me from doing anything with my life for the next 6 months or so. The guy gave a classy exit speech and now he's doing an interview and when asked questions, he's giving honest answers.
And do we really know that Conan forced NBC to give him the tonight Show or did they offer it to him? They seem like a bunch of monumental fuck-ups over there with no clue how to program their network, so it wouldn't surprise me. I would have guessed he was looking at fox to better his situation, and NBC freaked and offered the Tonight Show.
Old 05-02-10, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's likely that Conan's agent played the Fox card during the negotiation period, hinting that Conan might be wise to see what their offer is. NBC then offered the future Tonight Show as part of its package because it cost them nothing up front and said agent took the deal to Conan. As the Tonight Show is part of his dream career, he took the deal. I don't think NBC or Conan was necessarily wrong for anything there. I'm not sure Leno was even then wrong to sign off on that deal, which we know he did. Jay was in the wrong for not fading away as he agreed to do. He saw how Carson left. He should have damned well done the same. His highly successful standup career only makes it more galling he did what he did.
Old 05-02-10, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't realize that wanting to advance your career is considered "threatening" your employer now.
Old 05-02-10, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

wow, Coco's wife is a looker
Old 05-02-10, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

After the nuclear bomb Leno laid at the WH Correspondant's dinner last night NBC might want to ask Coco back. It was like watching a root canal without novocaine (or a couple of typical Leno monologues).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.