Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-10, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

Conan is not making a cent from the tour. The money is going towards his staff that worked for him on the Tonight Show.

http://www.examiner.com/x-11363-TV-E...bout-the-money
Old 04-04-10, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

So he is doing it for the money.
Old 04-04-10, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Then why are the tickets so expensive?
I thought the tickets were pretty reasonably priced unless you were buying a VIP package or bought tickets off of eBay or whatever but that doesn't really count.
Old 04-04-10, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Then why are the tickets so expensive?
overhead. you know, like getting about 50+ people across the country to numerous dates, putting them up, feeding them, paying their salary. you know, that kind of stuff. and to be honest, the price is no different than most major concerts in my town, so i don't see how you can say it's so expensive. even still, say you do think it is expensive, isn't this like one of those once in a lifetime chances to see something you'll probably never see again?
Old 04-07-10, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Max to join the dark side?

Sources tell Movieline that Conan O’Brien’s longtime bandleader Max Weinberg recently made overtures to Leno about joining the new Tonight Show as Leno’s bandleader. He’d be replacing Kevin Eubanks, who announced in February that he had plans to leave the show.

It’s a post that Weinberg has long coveted, though he only held it briefly during O’Brien’s truncated tenure. “I think one of the biggest thrills in my life was seeing my name in the same sentence as Doc Severinsen, who, in my view, is the gold standard for Tonight Show bandleaders,” Weinberg told Inside Jersey last August after assuming the gig. “There’s never been anyone who did it quite near the class and the brilliance of Doc Severinsen in the original Tonight Show Band. I used to think when I was a kid what a great job that must be — you know, same place, every time, everyday. Lo and behold, here I am 40 years later, doing it. That sounds deep, deep, deep, deep, deeply satisfying to me.”

In some ways, the news comes as a shock: even entering into discussions with Leno would mark Weinberg as a high-profile defector from the Conan camp, and could spark another round of backlash against Leno just as he’s settling into the Tonight Show.

Still, we hear that despite his long association with O’Brien, Weinberg was less than beloved by staffers. When O’Brien’s show was still located in New York, Weinberg would send interns to do gardening work at his house on the New Jersey shore, and would involve staffers in his pay disputes with the network — at one point, even enlisting an intern to tabulate every minute of screen time Weinberg had racked up over two years in an argument for a salary raise. Though several members of Weinberg’s band will be joining O’Brien during his live summer tour, Weinberg himself is conspicuously absent from the list.

When asked to address the matter, an NBC spokeswoman said only, “We are not commenting.” Reps for Leno and Weinberg have yet to get back to us.
http://www.movieline.com/2010/04/exc...bandleader.php
Old 04-07-10, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk God

that would suck. i like max, but if some of those behind the scenes things are true, good riddance.
Old 04-07-10, 08:00 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Slash wears an "I'm with Coco" pin on his Tonight Show performance. NBC tries to edit around him.

http://tv.gawker.com/5511584/nbc-att...-team-coco-pin

Old 04-07-10, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk God

that's awesome.
Old 04-08-10, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by xraybies
Slash wears an "I'm with Coco" pin on his Tonight Show performance. NBC tries to edit around him.

http://tv.gawker.com/5511584/nbc-att...-team-coco-pin

That piece of shit! That's it, I'm not buying his album
Old 04-09-10, 04:40 PM

That was the most weirdly shot performance I've ever seen. I saw more of the back of the cameraman than Slash.

Here's something to piss off the Conan loyalists....

Nielsen Notes
In late night, Jay leaves Dave in the dust
Returning 'Tonight' host leads by a million viewers
By Toni Fitzgerald, MediaLifeMagazine.com staff writer, April 9, 2010

For a few brief nights after Jay Leno returned to "The Tonight Show," it looked as though he and David Letterman were going to be fighting for the lead every night, with Letterman winning his fair share.

But more than a month into Leno's return, that's no longer the case.

After a couple of early Letterman victories among young adults, Leno has taken a firm lead among total viewers and adults 18-49, and Letterman has lost virtually all the gains he made in Leno's absence.

For the week ended April 4, NBC's "Tonight" scored its largest advantage over CBS's "Late Show" in total viewers in four weeks and tied its largest margin among 18-49s in the past month.

"Tonight" averaged 4.2 million viewers, 1 million, or 32 percent, ahead of "Late Show." ABC's "Nightline" also finished ahead of Letterman with 3.7 million.

Among 18-49s, "Tonight" led by 25 percent with a 1.1 rating to "Late Show's" 0.9. "Nightline" also averaged a 0.9.

Leno has now won all 25 nights in total viewers since he returned from his brief run in primetime and 23 of 25 nights among 18-49s.

Before Leno's return, the sense of media people was that the two would jockey for No. 1 for some time but that eventually Leno would regain the lead. The question was just how long that would take.

The answer, now so evident, was not very long at all.

Letterman was averaging 4.1 million before Leno came back, and even the week of his rival's return he averaged 3.7 million. But from then on it was a steady downhill slide to last week's 3.2 million.

Some Letterman viewers may have switched to Leno while others may have simply drifted away.

Leno, too, has seen his viewership fall since his debut. He averaged 5.6 million in his first week back, and he's down from the 2008-'09 season, when he averaged 5.2 million.

But he's well above the 2.8 million Conan O'Brien was averaging before his ouster.
For all the media outcry over how poorly NBC handled O'Brien, it appears not to have hurt Leno upon his return.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/art...n_the_dust.asp
Old 04-12-10, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone going to opening night in Eugene tonight?????
Old 04-12-10, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by dotheDVDeed
That was the most weirdly shot performance I've ever seen. I saw more of the back of the cameraman than Slash.

Here's something to piss off the Conan loyalists....

Nielsen Notes
In late night, Jay leaves Dave in the dust
This was evidently going to happen. Leno has been ruling the ratings, this won't change. People who watch leno will keep watching him, and the rest of the fanbase will split even more when Conan's new show starts.
Old 04-12-10, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TBS late night show?!?

Didn't see that coming.
Old 04-12-10, 12:23 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Darknite39
TBS late night show?!?

Didn't see that coming.
Just saw that on Twitter. wow!
Old 04-12-10, 12:26 PM
Banned

Conan O'Brien to make TBS his new late-night home

By FRAZIER MOORE, AP Television Writer Frazier Moore, Ap Television Writer – 5 mins ago

NEW YORK – Late-night mainstay Conan O'Brien is headed to TBS to resume his comedic duties with a talk show expected to debut in November, the network said Monday.

The program will air Mondays through Thursdays at 11 p.m. Eastern, shifting TBS' "Lopez Tonight," starring George Lopez, to midnight.

O'Brien quickly fired out a celebratory tweet.

"The good news: I will be doing a show on TBS starting in November! The bad news: I'll be playing Rudy on the all new Cosby Show," he posted Monday on Twitter.

The surprise announcement hit the same day O'Brien starts a two-month, nationwide comedy tour in Eugene, Ore., amid persistent reports that he was likely to claim Fox as his new late-night home.

Barring Fox, syndication was widely considered O'Brien's most likely option. Few if anyone mentioned TBS as a plausible destination.

O'Brien began serious talks with TBS just last week, the network said.

"In three months, I've gone from network television to Twitter to performing live in theaters, and now I'm headed to basic cable," O'Brien said in a tongue-in-cheek-toned statement. "My plan is working perfectly."

O'Brien left NBC in January after hosting "The Tonight Show" for just eight months, as his ratings plunged from those of his longtime "Tonight" predecessor, Jay Leno, who reclaimed the hour. Until last June, O'Brien had followed Leno as host of "Late Night" since 1993.

After giving O'Brien "Tonight," NBC sought to keep Leno on board with a prime-time show that quickly flopped. An attempt to move O'Brien to a post-midnight slot drew O'Brien's ire, and he walked away with a $32 million settlement package.

Although that put him in play for other networks, the deal barred him from appearing on TV until September.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100412/..._conan_o_brien
Old 04-12-10, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

I wonder if he talked to George first, to see if he didn't mind the bump to midnite?
Old 04-12-10, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

George called him to ask him to come to TBS.
Old 04-12-10, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Darknite39
George called him to ask him to come to TBS.
George is a smart man.

I just wonder how he'll do in the west coast markets. I mean, basic cable on satellite is shown on eastern time, so a show that airs in NY @ 11pm will air in LA @ 8pm, which means he could conceivably be competing with prime time shows in LA and not Dave and Leno. So that could cut into ratings, I suppose, and not impact Dave or Leno at all.

I guess it comes down to how many satellite subscribers there are to basic cable users.
Old 04-12-10, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought satellite had the east and west feeds.
Old 04-12-10, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Rather than continue 2 threads it would probably be best to move the TBS discussions to the new thread:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/572...s-its-tbs.html
Old 04-12-10, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

I'm outraged! "Lopez Tonight" isn't "Lopez Tonight" at Midnight...

Team Lopez!!!
Old 04-12-10, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by shaun3000
I thought satellite had the east and west feeds.
At least for me, I have Directv and everything other than local network seems to be on east coast time. I don't have a problem with watching Burn Notice at 7 instead of 10. Or the flip side is that I don't have to wait till 12 or 1am for the repeat.
Old 04-12-10, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TBS has East and West Coast feeds on cable out here.
Old 04-12-10, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
I'm outraged! "Lopez Tonight" isn't "Lopez Tonight" at Midnight...

Team Lopez!!!
They actually are addressing that. Upon the official move, the show will be called "George Lopez is Terrible Anytime."
Old 04-20-10, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Went to the second Seattle show tonight. It was a whole lot of fun. It truly is a variety show--comedy, music, video, setpieces, the whole shabang. It did lean a little bit too much on the music (Conan did 4 songs, the band had an extended song [which Pender rocked] and Eddie Vedder and Mike McCready of Pearl Jam did 3 songs), but the comedy bits (with the exception of a surprisingly limp Triumph appearance) were all really great, really fun and left a huge smile on my face.

When Vedder came out, it got an insane pop in front of the Seattle audience. Having heard little to no Pearl Jam, I didn't have much of a reaction. However, they did a pretty sweet cover of Baba O'Riley, AND apparently the first night had (ugh) Dave Matthews in that spot. I'll take Who covers and no Dave Matthews douche any day! Conan seemed truly awed by Pearl Jam. Afterwards he kept referencing back to how awesome it was.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.