Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

Old 02-06-10, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

Yeah, exactly. He couldn't beat the oldies who have established a viewer base for the past 15+ years (Letterman and Leno) after a whole 7 God Damned months on the job--with one of those oldies -- his direct predecessor -- also on the same network, BEFORE Conan's show, which I'm sure helped out a lot.

I don't mean to be so repetitive, but I suppose it's OK to fight fire with fire.

Also--and I'm asking this seriously--he was beating Fox reruns, right?
Old 02-06-10, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Frankly, I don't care how well he does in the ratings, as long he's happy with his situation, and it's enough to allow him to continue to put on a good show. If more people want to watch Leno, so be it.
Old 02-06-10, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wm lopez View Post
All he had to worry about was ABC,CBS and Simpson reruns on FOX and he couldn't beat that.
In the 4th Quarter of last year, Conan pretty much won late-night:

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/01/04...-quarter/37565
Conan finished the quarter having ranked #1 or tied for #1 among broadcast networks in adult 18-49 rating for eight of the last nine weeks.....For the fourth quarter of 2009, Conan’s average 1.369 million adults 18-49 topped the 1.359 of Letterman.... in adults 18-34, Conan’s 654,000 topped Letterman’s 459,000.
Note that these ratings are for 2009, before the NBC debacle occurred.

Again, Conan didn't need to "win" to be considered successful (see Dave's success on CBS despite being behind Leno for a decade). However, it's a mis-characterization to say he was losing.

As for being behind local Simpsons reruns, I don't think there's any real numbers to back that statement up.
Old 02-07-10, 08:16 AM
Banned

The local outlets that run Simpsons reruns are happy with their numbers and don't want that changed.
I heard this when there was talk of Conan going to FOX.
Of course most DVDTALK members based on the Conan love just want him on the air.
Never mind the numbers it's not their money.

Last edited by wm lopez; 02-08-10 at 06:51 AM.
Old 02-07-10, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Of course most DVDTALK members based on the Conan love just want him of the air.
Sorry, gonna need an English translation on this.
Old 02-07-10, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The local outlets that run Simpsons reruns are happy with their numbers and don't want that changed. I heard this when there was talk of Conan going to FOX.
The local outlets are happy with their numbers for that timeslot because they don't have to share the advertising revenue with the network for whatever syndicated show they decide to air there (it's not Simpsons reruns in every market). It doesn't mean that the FOX affiliates were doing better in the ratings; they most likely weren't.

As for Conan on FOX, the reaction from the affiliates has been mixed. Some don't want to give up the timeslot to FOX, while others think Conan at that hour could make them money. There is also the problem of current syndication deals in place that could keep affiliates from being able to air Conan at that timeslot, even if they'd want to.
Old 02-07-10, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The local outlets that run Simpsons reruns are happy with their numbers and don't want that changed.
Well then. That settles it.
Old 02-07-10, 04:30 PM
Banned

Of course most DVDTALK members based on the Conan love just want him of the air.
Never mind the numbers it's not their money.
Old 02-07-10, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Interesting Letterman, Oprah, and Leno commercial during superbowl.
Old 02-07-10, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah...

WTF was that?
Old 02-07-10, 06:47 PM

Leno appeared in an ad for his (soon-to-be) direct competition?
Old 02-07-10, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oprah said they taped it at Dave's studio on Tuesday.

Hope this is discussed a bit. I'm curious how this came about.
Old 02-07-10, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Here's the commercial for those who haven't seen it:

Old 02-07-10, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Great commercial in that there was no way to see that coming. When the camera went to Leno, my jaw dropped.
Old 02-07-10, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dx23 View Post
The local outlets, which run The Simpsons reruns, are happy with the high viewers for that 10PM-or-so. They are worried that a Conan show many not bring in as many numbers (or maybe just the profit margin) that The Simpsons syndication brings in. I heard this "somewhere".

DVDTalk members and Conan's fans don't care that Fox might lose money at their studio over this. And that a move to fox may not be profitable for Fox anyways. They just miss Conan and want to see him on the air again. Nevermind the numbers, you guys just don't understand that Fox has to make money.

If Conan does get his own show elsewhere, it'll definately be back to the lowest possible budget.

I don't care where he goes. I'll watch. I'd just as well see him working on more TV shows or getting into movies.

Conan was never out to appeal and placate to average joe-schmoe. Beneath all of the silly sketches, lies a smirking undercurrent of wink-wink rebellion.

Take away that wink-wink nature and there really isn't anything for dead-behind-the-eyes Americans to latch onto. That's what Leno is there for. Monica and OJ jokes. Ass kissing guests. I'm sure that it is hard work. But he never really putting himself out there or adding any soul to his show.

On the flipside, people just want to forget about everything and fall asleep in the evening. People don't really want 'fat people' jabs.
Old 02-07-10, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by troystiffler View Post
The local outlets, which run The Simpsons reruns, are happy with the high viewers for that 10PM-or-so. They are worried that a Conan show many not bring in as many numbers (or maybe just the profit margin) that The Simpsons syndication brings in. I heard this "somewhere".
It's profit margin, not ratings. Right now, the affiliates keep 100% of the ad revenue in that time slot. If they air a FOX network show there, they'll have to start sharing at least some of the ad time with FOX.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...689790182.html
The independent stations have expressed mixed views about a late-night show with the star. They would be replacing sitcom reruns and other programming after the late local news with a network show for which they likely would be able to sell far fewer ad spots—though with the potential for richer ad rates if the show does well...

Some other Fox stations are more enthusiastic. "For us, Conan would definitely be a wise acquisition," said Thom Postema, vice president and general manager of the Wilmington, N.C., Fox station owned by Southeastern Media Holdings Inc. "It would definitely be better than the syndication [reruns] we're airing now."

DVDTalk members and Conan's fans don't care that Fox might lose money at their studio over this.
I certainly don't care if the FOX network would make money or not on a Conan show. However, if FOX can't make a deal between Conan and its affiliates that it thinks will be profitable, I'd certainly understand. Unlike NBC, whose official excuse for dropping Conan is BS. (It had everything to do with the Jay Leno Show's ratings, and Leno's contract, and very little to do with Conan's ratings, which were fine.)

As an aside, don't get the FOX network confused with Fox Studios. What's profitable for one isn't necessarily profitable for the other.
Old 02-07-10, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Isn't all the Fox TV stuff done through Twentieth in terms of production/studio?
Old 02-07-10, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post
Isn't all the Fox TV stuff done through Twentieth in terms of production/studio?
No. For example, House is an Universal production.
Old 02-07-10, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
No. For example, House is an Universal production.
Right. What I mean is that as I understand it, when Fox the network does something in house through what is seen as "Fox" the studio, it's actually Twentieth.
Old 02-07-10, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by troystiffler View Post

Conan was never out to appeal and placate to average joe-schmoe. Beneath all of the silly sketches, lies a smirking undercurrent of wink-wink rebellion.

Take away that wink-wink nature and there really isn't anything for dead-behind-the-eyes Americans to latch onto. That's what Leno is there for. Monica and OJ jokes. Ass kissing guests. I'm sure that it is hard work. But he never really putting himself out there or adding any soul to his show.

On the flipside, people just want to forget about everything and fall asleep in the evening. People don't really want 'fat people' jabs.
You pretty much hit the nail on the head IMO (which has no quantitative value whatsoever).
Old 02-07-10, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post
Right. What I mean is that as I understand it, when Fox the network does something in house through what is seen as "Fox" the studio, it's actually Twentieth.
If the FOX network initiates the deal, it'll probably be set up at Fox Television Studios, a division of Twentieth Century Fox Television.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_Television_Studios
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/20th_Ce...Fox_Television

Again, though, what's profitable for the studio isn't necessarily profitable for the network, and vice-versa. For example, FOX ordered 13 episodes of the show Dollhouse for its first season. However, FOX didn't like the pilot, so only the 12 following episodes were aired, some of which had scenes from the pilot re-worked into them. For FOX, it made economic sense to only air the 12 episodes. However, for Fox TV Studios, they had worldwide distribution deals that required 13 episodes of the show, so they produced a final episode that FOX never ordered or paid for. So for Fox TV, it made sense to produce the extra episode. Then, when Fox TV offered the extra episode to FOX, the network declined to pay for it for broadcast, although they did order additional episodes for a second season.

With Conan, if the show is made, Fox TV Studios will likely make a profit on it for as long as it's on the air, since FOX will be paying the bills. If it does poorly, FOX could lose money, but not Fox TV Studios.
Old 02-07-10, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by LickTheABCs View Post

That is some of the best CGi I've seen since Jurassic Park.....
Old 02-07-10, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
That is some of the best CGi I've seen since Jurassic Park.....
1 or 2?
Old 02-07-10, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by stopgap View Post
1 or 2?
Both
Old 02-08-10, 12:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by LickTheABCs View Post

So.... The 'feud' between them was all bullshit and they were just jerking us off the whole time....?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.