Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-10, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

Originally Posted by wm lopez
Who do you think your talking to some Obama kool-aid drinker who was cheering last night's speech?
No, although I wouldn't be surprised if you said you'd been drinking gasoline or paint thinner.
Old 01-28-10, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wm lopez
The guys from DVDTALK gave me my own twitter page!
Old 01-28-10, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 171 Posts

At least Johnny would step aside and let a guest host take over one night a week.

Has Jay's ego ever opened a door of opportunity for anyone to be a guest host?
Old 01-28-10, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
According to people in this forum like Mr Lopez, Conan O'Brien was absolutely thrilled to walk away from [The Tonight Show] for a fifth of that amount.
Except that O'Brien made it clear that he considered The Tonight Show at 12:05 to not be The Tonight Show anymore. So in Conan's mind, walking away from The Tonight Show was the only way to save it (i.e. keep it in its proper timeslot).

Jay Leno voluntarily accepted a demotion, knowing that the demotion would demote everyone and every show that came after him. Conan O'Brien didn't, however it's absolutely clear that he wasn't "thrilled" to walk away from the show, and would rather have continued to have done it at its proper timeslot for years to come.
Old 01-28-10, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho

No. That's one of those stories that Rosie tells. She was offered to host on Friday night's during Jay's run, but he flat out refused to allow it to happen.
Old 01-28-10, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At least Johnny would step aside and let a guest host take over one night a week.

This is where you are wrong.... he let Conan guest host for 7 months, that was a selfless act
Old 01-28-10, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wirefan
This is where you are wrong.... he let Conan guest host for 7 months, that was a selfless act
Old 01-28-10, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This suggests that Johnny was wrong for doing that -- after all, the guest hosting created the Jay monster.
Old 01-29-10, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leno really needs to stop acknowledging the situation at all -- every time he opens his mouth to address it, he just ends up looking more and more like a lying sack of shit.
Old 01-29-10, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Except that O'Brien made it clear that he considered The Tonight Show at 12:05 to not be The Tonight Show anymore. So in Conan's mind, walking away from The Tonight Show was the only way to save it (i.e. keep it in its proper timeslot).

Jay Leno voluntarily accepted a demotion, knowing that the demotion would demote everyone and every show that came after him. Conan O'Brien didn't, however it's absolutely clear that he wasn't "thrilled" to walk away from the show, and would rather have continued to have done it at its proper timeslot for years to come.
Wait... so you're saying that Mr Lopez was wrong !?
Old 01-29-10, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

<object width="580" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FpJQLdRNrPE&hl=en_US&fs=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FpJQLdRNrPE&hl=en_US&fs=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="580" height="360"></embed></object>
Old 01-29-10, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If you are interested, Oprah did an "After the Show" discussion with her audience about the Jay Leno interview. It's 40 minutes.

http://www.oprah.com/oprahshow/Oprah...troversy-Video

Here's a summary:

Oprah defends Jay to the hilt. Really. She defends Jay like Johnny Cochrane defended O.J.

Oprah explains that Jay is a really, really, really good guy.
He's also a powerless employee of NBC, who has no choice but to cede to whatever the network asks him to do, because he really needs a job.

Despite the fact that [in the interview] Jay displays absolutely no passion about hosting The Tonight Show, and even states that he doesn't think of being a talk show host as his profession, Oprah assures her audience that Jay loves, Loves, LOVES hosting the show.
Old 01-29-10, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
The ratings information provided is evidence that Jay Leno had the most popular prime-time line-up feeding into his show for the first years of his run as the most popular late night host.

The theory is [a theory with which I'm sure you disagree] that all those incredibly popular prime-time shows provided a platform for NBC to promote Jay Leno, and convince people to sample the show.

No one at this forum has ever denied that Jay Leno is very popular.

However, he never would have become popular unless viewers had been made aware of his show, in the first place.

The shows I listed [the information in the post that you and Mr Lopez have decided to ignore] included the popular dramas that aired at 10pm during the 2000s.

Y'know, the kind of shows that Conan never benefited from because NBC had the Jay Leno suckfest on every night at 10pm.
I haven't decided to "ignore" your list of popular shows NBC had, I just don't buy that the so called leadins are the reason people watch Leno. Everybody has a remote. For the undecided viewers, maybe it helps somewhat but still, had Leno not been their favourite host, they would have switched to Letterman. Late Night TV is pretty much all about the host for the first part, and if the viewers don't like the guests then they switch. If leadins were so important, Letterman would have regained the ratings crown years ago.
Old 01-29-10, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Luds
I haven't decided to "ignore" your list of popular shows NBC had, I just don't buy that the so called leadins are the reason people watch Leno. Everybody has a remote. For the undecided viewers, maybe it helps somewhat but still, had Leno not been their favourite host, they would have switched to Letterman. Late Night TV is pretty much all about the host for the first part, and if the viewers don't like the guests then they switch. If leadins were so important, Letterman would have regained the ratings crown years ago.
You need to read all the posts in the thread.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/9969005-post809.html
Old 01-29-10, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Understanding that executives, objectives, and margins change with the times (not time slots), let's look at it from this perspective. Letterman had been getting beat by Leno for over a decade. Sometimes the gap was bigger than other times but it was always in Leno's favor. So why would CBS not fire Letterman? Why not bring in some fresh new talent to try and win the ratings war?

Because I don't think the networks really care all that much about the late night ratings. Would they like to be #1? Absolutely. But being in second place by a few tenths of a point or even a full point. Is it really that big of a deal in that time slot? If it is, how does Letterman keep a job? What, only NBC cares about ratings? Maybe it's that nobody else could do good enough to keep them in second?

If late night ratings were really so cut-throat, CBS wouldn't even try? Conan dips below Letterman by, what, a .1 and all the sudden it is time for his firing?

In reality, it did have to do with ratings. But not Conan's. It had everything to do with Jay's ratings failure. He was averaging half of what a decent prime-time show does. The affiliates wanted his show gone. NBC's wonderful contracting ($150 million payout and guaranteed timeslot -- and Jay's unwillingness to give on those) did the rest.
Old 01-29-10, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oprah's site has a poll up on The Tonight Show "controversy".

http://www.oprah.com/oprahshow/The-T...ntroversy-Poll
Old 01-29-10, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Nefarious
Understanding that executives, objectives, and margins change with the times (not time slots), let's look at it from this perspective. Letterman had been getting beat by Leno for over a decade. Sometimes the gap was bigger than other times but it was always in Leno's favor. So why would CBS not fire Letterman? Why not bring in some fresh new talent to try and win the ratings war?

Because I don't think the networks really care all that much about the late night ratings. Would they like to be #1? Absolutely. But being in second place by a few tenths of a point or even a full point. Is it really that big of a deal in that time slot? If it is, how does Letterman keep a job? What, only NBC cares about ratings? Maybe it's that nobody else could do good enough to keep them in second?

If late night ratings were really so cut-throat, CBS wouldn't even try? Conan dips below Letterman by, what, a .1 and all the sudden it is time for his firing?
It's not so much about ratings, but about money. Sure, Letterman lagged behind Leno, but his show was still making money for the network. Apparently Conan was not.

Last edited by Double_Oh_7; 01-29-10 at 07:56 AM.
Old 01-29-10, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
It's not so much about ratings, but about money. Sure, Letterman lagged behind Leno, but his show was still making money for the network. Apparently Conan was not.
Then the executives should be fired, too. Open the ledgers up and prove it. It simply isn't true unless they are counting a lot of sunken costs and other b.s. that shouldn't in a true apples to apples (regular year production of Jay to regular year production w/o start-up costs of Conan).

That is just another convenient excuse that seems acceptable and palatable to people but falls completely apart when examined in any true detail.
Old 01-29-10, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Nefarious
Oprah's site has a poll up on The Tonight Show "controversy".

http://www.oprah.com/oprahshow/The-T...ntroversy-Poll
Current results:

1. Did you watch Oprah's interview with Jay Leno?
Yes (92%)
No (8%)

2. After watching the show, did your opinion change?
Yes (8%)
No (92%)

3. Whose side were you on before the interview?
Jay (30%)
Conan (70%)

4. Whose side are you on now? Jay or Conan?
Jay's (33%)
Conan's (67%)

5. Do you care about the Jay Leno/Conan O'Brien controversy?
Yes (81%)
No (19%)

6. Do you think Jay Leno should go back to The Tonight Show?
Yes (33%)
No (67%)
Old 01-29-10, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That's actually a really interesting poll. I imagine the Oprah audience and the Leno audience roughly overlap.
Old 01-29-10, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Did Letterman have anything to say about the Oprah interview last night?
Old 01-29-10, 09:33 AM

That Opera poll is retarded. If you opinion of Leno improved but you're still behind Conan, the poll doesn't reflect that. Picking either Conan's side or Leno's side is a pretty narrow way to look at things, especially when the real villain here is NBC.
Old 01-29-10, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
Did Letterman have anything to say about the Oprah interview last night?
I believe Letterman has been in repeats all week. We'll probably have to wait until Monday to get his take on it. I'm sure he'll have something to say.

It'll be great if he shows the clip of saying he told only one cheap-shot joke and then Letterman shows the 4-5 he actually made.
Old 01-29-10, 09:43 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by SpanishTechno
That Opera poll is retarded.
Settle down...it also works in Firefox.
Old 01-29-10, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by MovieLine
Sundance 2010

Tilda Swinton on Playing Conan O'Brien: 'Yes, Yes, Yes, Absolutely'
Written by Kyle Buchanan | 25 Jan 2010, 1:10 PM | 8 comments

On Conan O’Brien’s final Tonight Show, he earned one of his biggest laughs when he said that if HBO decided to make a movie about the recent late-night fiasco, he’d “like to be played by Academy Award-winner Tilda Swinton.” I just finished interviewing Swinton at Sundance to promote her new film I Am Love, and I decided (without any authorization from HBO whatsoever) to make her a formal offer for the red-headed role. Do we have a rare bit of good news for the beleaguered O’Brien?

“I’ve heard about Conan!” Swinton said excitedly when I broached the subject. “I’m so thrilled.”

So would she be willing to take on the challenge of playing him? After all, Swinton has bent genders onscreen before, as anyone who’s seen her 1992 film Orlando would know.

“I would just be only too happy,” she beamed. “Yes, yes, yes, absolutely.”

Then, pondering the offer, she decided to return the favor and solicit from O’Brien. “What I really would love to do is get him to do some of the things I get to do. It would be nice if he were here at Sundance maybe, wearing this coat, talking about I Am Love.”

It might seem like a tall order for O’Brien, but he certainly has several months of unemployment to pull off such a switch. “And why not?” Swinton said. “Every girl should have a doppleganger.”

I'd watch that.

Originally Posted by Groucho
Settle down...it also works in Firefox.
heh

Last edited by RichC2; 01-29-10 at 10:01 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.