Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-10, 05:56 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

I suspect Leno is well-prepared for hecklers.
Old 01-25-10, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

"Even Deftones is taking shots at me. Which is a surprise. Usually he's just taking shots at Melanie."
Old 01-25-10, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
I suspect Leno is well-prepared for hecklers.
by stealing other people's comebacks?

Originally Posted by dork
"Even Deftones is taking shots at me. Which is a surprise. Usually he's just taking shots at Melanie."
props for a well placed reference that about 90% of the people in this thread won't get.
Old 01-25-10, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's the first thing that popped into my head, too, dork. I think it's all Leno has left these days.
Old 01-25-10, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
$10k to 35k a table? wow.
Old 01-25-10, 06:33 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheato
Indeed. With a subjunctive counterfactual and an indeterminate singular they. The force is strong with this one. If only he had used "at work" instead of "to work."
How about.
Would you be happy if your employer gave you $30 million to leave the job you are doing? And your replacement will be the person who was doing your job before you. Would you be all smiles and classy as you leave?
Now next up. How David Letterman will act when Leno starts to beat him in the ratings when they are head to head.
Reminder: RATINGS ARE WHAT BASED ON VIEWERS NOT WHO CRIES THE MOST.
Old 01-25-10, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wm lopez
Ratings are based on a few viewers meant to represent me, which they certainly have never done.

Love your tweets.
Old 01-25-10, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 724 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
I personally wish Conan had taken that 12:05am start time offer. It's far better than him being off-the-air as he is now (IMO). Plus Jay is 60 y.o. this year, so I think he probably will retire in the next 6 years. After that, Conan could've moved back to the 11:35pm start time again.

And it would NOT have been the first time The Tonight Show had it's start time moved later into the night. In the '60s (and maybe through the early-'70s), The Tonight Show started at 11:15pm every night because the 11 o'clock local news was only 15 minutes long back then. When local news expanded to 30 minutes, then the start of The Tonight Show was moved back 15 minutes to 11:30pm. And later, it was moved back 5 more minutes to 11:35pm to allow more commercials. So a move back of the show's start time would not have been an unprecedented event (although, if it had happened, it would've been the first time with an after midnight start, at least in some timezones).
However, it would no longer immediately follow the nightly news. I think a 30min shift to follow a Leno monologue would certainly change the dynamic of the Tonight Show. One would have to look at 1/4 hour ratings to see how much of a drop off occurs as the evening wears on.
Old 01-25-10, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wm lopez
How about.
Would you be happy if your employer gave you $30 million to leave the job you are doing? And your replacement will be the person who was doing your job before you. Would you be all smiles and classy as you leave?
Now next up. How David Letterman will act when Leno starts to beat him in the ratings when they are head to head.
You're a strange dude with kind of a loose grasp on this whole thing, aren't you?
Old 01-25-10, 08:04 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by freshticles
You're a strange dude with kind of a loose grasp on this whole thing, aren't you?
I'm convinced that wm lopez is playing all of us here with the Borat-Republican type of character he is showing here.
Old 01-25-10, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

According to Questlove (of the Roots), that little snippet of "Lovely Rita" by the Beatles (played when Tom Hanks walked out) may have cost NBC $500,000.

http://twitter.com/questlove/status/8100254545

Last edited by DGibFen; 01-25-10 at 08:16 PM.
Old 01-25-10, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Truffaut Fan
He thought the "Freebird" segment was "horrible" and said Will Ferrell wasn't funny at all. He said Tom Hanks was boring and that Neil Young picked a terrible song to play. He said Conan was a pussy for saying such nice things about NBC after they've treated him like garbage.

He liked Thursday's show with Robin Williams and thought it was "really funny".
This just proves that Howard is over 50.
Old 01-25-10, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Gawker strikes again with a Late Night War retrospective (with video):

http://tv.gawker.com/5456733/the-fir...deo-chronology
Old 01-25-10, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
And it would NOT have been the first time The Tonight Show had it's start time moved later into the night. In the '60s (and maybe through the early-'70s), The Tonight Show started at 11:15pm every night because the 11 o'clock local news was only 15 minutes long back then. When local news expanded to 30 minutes, then the start of The Tonight Show was moved back 15 minutes to 11:30pm. And later, it was moved back 5 more minutes to 11:35pm to allow more commercials.
As Conan wrote in his statement, "for 60 years the Tonight Show has aired immediately following the late local news."
http://www.buzzfeed.com/scott/conans-statement

So I don't think it was necessarily just the later time, but the fact that another talk show would be between it and the news. If the local news had expanded to an hour, that would've been a different story.
Old 01-26-10, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A clever comment from a Gawker reader:

So what I've learned from all this is this Late Night debacle was really a giant Butterfly Effect from Hugh Grant wanting some paid trim one night.

It's like: a British actor flaps his penis on Sunset Boulevard in 1995 and fifteen years later Conan loses the Tonight Show.
Old 01-26-10, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

That's awesome

Ok, showing "old" Conan eps tonight is just gross. I can't even watch.
Old 01-26-10, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
That's awesome

Ok, showing "old" Conan eps tonight is just gross. I can't even watch.
I agree, they should not show Conan at all. That would make for better TV :P
Old 01-26-10, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y06r95CtpYY&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y06r95CtpYY&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Kevin Pollack has some great things to say about Conan on this episode of his web talk show.

He starts talking about it 2 minutes in, and goes for about 8 minutes.
The video is black for the first 40 seconds.

I think it's very enlightening to get the honest opinions of people who are in the business and who have interacted with Jay and Conan.
Old 01-26-10, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Did Leno say anything about this last night? Or did he just go straight to Typos?
Old 01-26-10, 11:49 AM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dx23
And the sadder thing is that this situation isn't their only mess. These same executives passed on Lost, are losing millions in the upcoming Winter Olympics, passed on Monk and Psych, cancelled Southland, only to see it succeed later on TNT, and essentially killed their 10 PM primetime lineup. How the hell do these people still have jobs?!?
TV execs and weatherman. The only job you can be a screw up in and keep it.
Old 01-26-10, 05:28 PM
Banned

I'm convinced that wm lopez is playing all of us here with the Borat-Republican type of character he is showing here.
I'm defending Leno because he was the King at his time slot when he hosted the TONITE SHOW. Then he's asked to make way for a young guy while he was still king and he didn't act like Conan. Now after Conan's ratings are bad he's asked to step away and acts like a spoiled kid and makes all this late night drama and his ratings shoot up. And he gets $30 million and puts on this act and here you all comment how classy he is. And I'm the strange one and I'm playing you?

Last edited by wm lopez; 01-26-10 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-26-10, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I've never even heard of the TONITE SHOW? When did leno host that? IF you love the Leno and the franchise so much, at least spell it properly. I love Mykal Jay Fahx. I love Gym Kerry. Doesn't look too authentic does it? Also, how is Conan the spoiled kid in this? Jay Leno hung around like a sad little puppy, killed Conan's numbers which( despite how you want to spin it) were better than Letterman's until Leno came along with his shitty show, and then pretended like NBC were slighting him as well, to appear like the good guy. Your world is fake my friend. I don't mean to rain on your parade but I'm also pretty sure that Sarah Palin dislikes mexicans.
Old 01-26-10, 06:09 PM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts

(I've believed that for a loooong time)
Old 01-26-10, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Your world is fake my friend. I don't mean to rain on your parade but I'm also pretty sure that Sarah Palin dislikes mexicans.
Old 01-26-10, 07:09 PM

I've never even heard of the TONITE SHOW? When did leno host that? IF you love the Leno and the franchise so much, at least spell it properly. I love Mykal Jay Fahx. I love Gym Kerry. Doesn't look too authentic does it? Also, how is Conan the spoiled kid in this? Jay Leno hung around like a sad little puppy, killed Conan's numbers which( despite how you want to spin it) were better than Letterman's until Leno came along with his shitty show, and then pretended like NBC were slighting him as well, to appear like the good guy. Your world is fake my friend. I don't mean to rain on your parade but I'm also pretty sure that Sarah Palin dislikes mexicans.
Wow. Resorting to typo / grammar comments because the other lad doesn't like "ur fav nite time guy Conan". Nice.

FAIL

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.