Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

Old 01-25-10, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

He had fun on television on his last show. He did what he said he was going to do.
Old 01-25-10, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk God

I think Stern is just ticked because he thought he could have done a better job on the show (which is probably right) and he feels as though everyone should feel about NBC as he does. That doesn't necessarily make him right, but he does make a valid point on the guests. Hanks wasn't great.
Old 01-25-10, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I like and agree with this from Time magazine:

"And then, as Conan said, something truly amazing did happen. Conan called onstage Will Ferrell, in bell-bottoms and wig (with cowbell!), to lead a band including ZZ Top's Billy Gibbons, Ben Harper, Beck and Ferrell's own pregnant wife—plus Max Weinberg and the crew—in a full version of Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Free Bird." And in what must be a first in talk-show-host farewells, Conan—who's wielded an axe numerous times on his shows—played himself off the air by ripping a guitar solo, to a balls-out Southern Rock power ballad about getting out of a relationship with no future.

This wasn't Bette Midler tenderly singing off Johnny Carson, but it was beautiful. It was the raucous, sly and true-to-himself sendoff of a host who—even if he wasn't the right match for Leno loyalists—has a thought-out entertainer's vision and knew exactly what he was doing with his Tonight Show. Conan had a rough ride, but he nailed his Tonight's ending: it was weird, wryly appropriate, classy and straight from the heart.

Just like the show that, let's hope, someone other than NBC will soon get to put on the air."
Old 01-25-10, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by freshticles View Post
As far as the song, who cares what they did with it? Freebird is not some sacred song. That song gets bastardized and loses credit every time some drunk 56 year old screams it out at a concert. Will Ferrel isn't the greatest singer, but he's no worse than any other bar band singer covering a Lynryd Skynyrd song. I thought it was a great way to end the show with Conan jamming with his buds, having what looked like a great time.
"Freebird" is bastardized a hell of a lot more when the reunited "faux" Skynyrd performs it with Kid Rock. Compared to that, Will Ferrell's version is practically the authentic original!
Old 01-25-10, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Drexl View Post
I'm hoping for "The Late Shift with Conan O'Brien."
I dig that.
Old 01-25-10, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I liked the whole show, except for the "Freebird" ending bit. It went on too long and all the performers seemed uncomfortable. Of course, I really dislike Will Ferrell and never found him funny. He's like a little kid who won't leave you alone until you laugh at his stupid antics. I thought he was pretty good in "Stranger than Fiction" though. The Freebird bit might have worked if Ferrell wasn't involved.
Old 01-25-10, 12:00 PM

The Conan threads have been long so maybe someone posted these thoughts already:

At the last minute, why didn't Conan agree to do "The Tonight Show" at 12:05 and let Jay have his little thirty minute variety show? Chances are that with all this backlash Jay's show would have gone down in flames. What exactly could he have done in thirty minutes except a monologue, a short skip, and one guest?

Due to age, Letterman and Leno are reaching the end of their years as hosts, Conan could have then had his 11:35 slot back and beat whoever CBS was putting in to replace Letterman.

Was Conan afraid that if his ratings were still low at 12:05, NBC would give him the axe?

Conan could have taken "The Tonight Show" to 12:05, made lots of sarcastic remarks about being "punished" or whatever, then by being a team player could have renegotiated a better contract for himself and his staff so that when Jay exited Conan would be quite the power player to contend with.

For all Conan's "respect for "The Tonight Show" name and franchise," Leno's 11:35 show was NOT going to be the "The Tonight Show." It was just going to be another version of the weak-ass "Jay Leno Show" at a later hour.

I think that Conan was too hasty in declaring that he would not follow Leno again. Just my opinion, but by continuing to battle Leno at his new 12:05 time slot and making Leno look like a spoiled brat may have won him the war. NBC has flip-flopped so much on this, who's to say that it wouldn't pay off Leno and can his ass seven months down the line for his 11:35 show?
Old 01-25-10, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Nefarious View Post
I don't know that when Jay retires that there isn't a run made at Conan. Not saying there will be for sure but I wouldn't be surprised. I think Conan blames Jay & not NBC.
I don't know about that, but I assume Conan recognizes that the executives who made the decisions over the past month are not necessarily going to be the same people running the company down the road. If I were him, I wouldn't want to work for a Zucker-led NBC ... but five years from now, who knows if Zucker will still be running things at NBC. Or, for that matter, whether the guys who hire Conan at Fox and treat him well in 2010 -- assuming that happens -- will still be calling the shots at Fox.
Old 01-25-10, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GuessWho View Post
Conan kept saying "We're going to have fun on television" this week that I wonder of Fun on Television with Conan O'Brien is a possible show title
Originally Posted by Drexl View Post
I'm hoping for "The Late Shift with Conan O'Brien."
"The ShoSho with CoCo."
Old 01-25-10, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Franchot View Post
The Conan threads have been long so maybe someone posted these thoughts already:

At the last minute, why didn't Conan agree to do "The Tonight Show" at 12:05 and let Jay have his little thirty minute variety show? Chances are that with all this backlash Jay's show would have gone down in flames. What exactly could he have done in thirty minutes except a monologue, a short skip, and one guest?
Because it would have been a demotion. Conan would have been following Jay again, just a half-hour earlier. Time slots are important - there's a reason Jay and Dave are considered the late-night kings and Jimmy Kimmel isn't. And it's doubtful that Jay's half-hour show would go down in flames.

Due to age, Letterman and Leno are reaching the end of their years as hosts, Conan could have then had his 11:35 slot back and beat whoever CBS was putting in to replace Letterman.
Who knows how long they'll keep working. Conan already waited five years for an 11:35 show, obviously he doesn't want to wait any longer.

Was Conan afraid that if his ratings were still low at 12:05, NBC would give him the axe?
I doubt that had anything to do with his decision.

Conan could have taken "The Tonight Show" to 12:05, made lots of sarcastic remarks about being "punished" or whatever, then by being a team player could have renegotiated a better contract for himself and his staff so that when Jay exited Conan would be quite the power player to contend with.
I don't think Conan wants to have a show whose premise is based on bashing NBC. And when Jay exits, he'll still be a power player with (the new) NBC management.

For all Conan's "respect for "The Tonight Show" name and franchise," Leno's 11:35 show was NOT going to be the "The Tonight Show." It was just going to be another version of the weak-ass "Jay Leno Show" at a later hour.
The Tonight Show follows the local news, has for decades. That half-hour difference is important. NBC wanted to demote Conan after promising him the flagship late-night franchise. Conan played second fiddle to Jay for years and doesn't want to go backwards in his career.
Old 01-25-10, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

At the last minute, why didn't Conan agree to do "The Tonight Show" at 12:05 and let Jay have his little thirty minute variety show?
Conan didn't decide "at the last minute" about the move. He decided almost immediately after the news of the deal leaked in the trades, which is before NBC actually asked him (they made a deal with Leno first).

What exactly could [Jay] have done in thirty minutes except a monologue, a short [skit], and one guest?
As Fist of Doom pointed out, it was a demotion to Conan, regardless. Also, who's to say Jay's show would've stayed at only a half-hour long? If Conan agreed to the first bump, NBC could've came back 6 months later and say, "you know, Jay is doing so good in his timeslot we're going to give him another half hour and bump you back to 12:35." Then he'd be stuck back at his old time slot. Not to mention that Jimmy Fallon and Carson Daly would've been demoted by the move, due to no fault of their own.

Due to age, Letterman and Leno are reaching the end of their years as hosts...
Leno said that we was nearing retirement age 5 years ago. We know how that turned out. At his point, I don't think anyone would want to base their career's future on when Leno will quit.

Conan could have then had his 11:35 slot back and beat whoever CBS was putting in to replace Letterman.
Or, he could quit NBC and get an 11:30 slot in 7 months, instead of waiting for a current host to retire and hope that he's picked as a replacement again.

NBC has flip-flopped so much on this, who's to say that it wouldn't pay off Leno and can his ass seven months down the line for his 11:35 show?
Leno has an iron-clad contract, reportedly. For NBC, it was cheaper to let go of Conan than it would be to get rid of Leno. Also, NBC hasn't flip-flopped. Every scenario they provided had Leno before Conan. The whole "Jay Leno Show" fiasco was because NBC wanted to keep Leno even after they had promised Conan the Tonight Show. NBC isn't going to let go of Leno until Leno wants to retire.
Old 01-25-10, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
Conan didn't decide "at the last minute" about the move. He decided almost immediately after the news of the deal leaked in the trades, which is before NBC actually asked him (they made a deal with Leno first).
I meant to imply that Conan could have let this drama continue to unfurl for a few more weeks as his fan base and the other late night school hosts continued to bash Leno and THEN decide at the last minute to come in and do NBC a favor by accepting the time change and keeping "The Tonight Show." That would have surely taken a lot of wind out of Leno's sails. (Maybe enough people would have seen Leno for what he really is and been turned off by his unprofessional style?)

But thank you, Jay G. and Fist of Doom. You gave some very excellent answers which made me see things from a different point of view.
Old 01-25-10, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I meant to imply that Conan could have let this drama continue to unfurl for a few more weeks as his fan base and the other late night school hosts continued to bash Leno and THEN decide at the last minute to come in and do NBC a favor by accepting the time change and keeping "The Tonight Show."
I doubt NBC would've let Conan waffle on the decision for that long; they needed a fix fast to appease the affiliates. And if Conan had initially agreed to the move and then reneged, then he would look like the bad guy (similar to how Jay initially agreed to retiring, then reneged years later).
Old 01-25-10, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I meant to imply that Conan could have let this drama continue to unfurl for a few more weeks as his fan base and the other late night school hosts continued to bash Leno and THEN decide at the last minute to come in and do NBC a favor by accepting the time change and keeping "The Tonight Show." That would have surely taken a lot of wind out of Leno's sails. (Maybe enough people would have seen Leno for what he really is and been turned off by his unprofessional style?)
The Tonight Show has had the timeslot following news at 11:30-11:35 for over 50 years. It would cease being The Tonight Show. And Conan didn't have weeks to think about it. Once NBC pulled the plug on Leno's show, the wheels were spinning quickly for a resolve before the Winter Olympics.

NBC was willing to fuck over 3 hosts (Conan, Jimmy Fallon, and Carson Daly) with the time shift only to accomodate Leno's huge contract garauntee. I think by now, as seen by all the bashing and negative talk, the wind is most certainly out of Leno's sails. Whether his audience will stick with him past his first week back will remain to be seen.
Old 01-25-10, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looking back, the most irritating thing about this entire mess is that the men who came up with the plan to dump Leno 5 years ago and move Conan, then keep Leno but move him to 10pm, then move him back to 11:30 just to avoid a ridiculous cash payout STILL HAVE JOBS. I mean, how badly can you bungle a situation with millions and millions of dollars on the line and yet still get high fives in the hallway while you light your cigars with hundred dollar bills?
Old 01-25-10, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ask the banking industry.
Old 01-25-10, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
Stern is probably just mad because he hasn't been relevant since 1988.
we both know that's not true
Old 01-25-10, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by cornflakeguy View Post
we both know that's not true
He was never relevant?
Old 01-25-10, 04:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by chuckd21 View Post
Looking back, the most irritating thing about this entire mess is that the men who came up with the plan to dump Leno 5 years ago and move Conan, then keep Leno but move him to 10pm, then move him back to 11:30 just to avoid a ridiculous cash payout STILL HAVE JOBS. I mean, how badly can you bungle a situation with millions and millions of dollars on the line and yet still get high fives in the hallway while you light your cigars with hundred dollar bills?
And the sadder thing is that this situation isn't their only mess. These same executives passed on Lost, are losing millions in the upcoming Winter Olympics, passed on Monk and Psych, cancelled Southland, only to see it succeed later on TNT, and essentially killed their 10 PM primetime lineup. How the hell do these people still have jobs?!?
Old 01-25-10, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dx23 View Post
And the sadder thing is that this situation isn't their only mess. These same executives passed on Lost, are losing millions in the upcoming Winter Olympics, passed on Monk and Psych, cancelled Southland, only to see it succeed later on TNT, and essentially killed their 10 PM primetime lineup. How the hell do these people still have jobs?!?
Well to be fair, Monk and Psych are on USA... which is owned by NBC/Universal.
Old 01-25-10, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez View Post
Stern would have farted more
Close. He wanted more song parodies -- probably my least favorite part Stern's show.
Old 01-25-10, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I find myself rewatching Free Bird a few times a day. I'm so happy the show ended on such a high note, when things could have turned out so differently (e.g., if Stern had come on the show--which I'll admit sounded like a good idea last week).
Old 01-25-10, 05:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RobLutter View Post
Well to be fair, Monk and Psych are on USA... which is owned by NBC/Universal.
Yes, but the ad money goes to the USA Network and doesn't reflect on the NBC network productivity.
Old 01-25-10, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

why didn't Conan agree to do "The Tonight Show" at 12:05 and let Jay have his little thirty minute variety show?
I personally wish Conan had taken that 12:05am start time offer. It's far better than him being off-the-air as he is now (IMO). Plus Jay is 60 y.o. this year, so I think he probably will retire in the next 6 years. After that, Conan could've moved back to the 11:35pm start time again.

And it would NOT have been the first time The Tonight Show had it's start time moved later into the night. In the '60s (and maybe through the early-'70s), The Tonight Show started at 11:15pm every night because the 11 o'clock local news was only 15 minutes long back then. When local news expanded to 30 minutes, then the start of The Tonight Show was moved back 15 minutes to 11:30pm. And later, it was moved back 5 more minutes to 11:35pm to allow more commercials. So a move back of the show's start time would not have been an unprecedented event (although, if it had happened, it would've been the first time with an after midnight start, at least in some timezones).
Old 01-25-10, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Should I buy a table to go and heckle the guy?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.