Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-10, 07:44 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
See what I mean?!
Old 01-23-10, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Re: Conan's bad ratings losing money for NBC

I can't find the article now because I've read so many from so many different places in the last couple weeks.

But when this first came out about how Conan's Tonight Show was losing money, I read an article pointing out that Conan's rating were similar to what Letterman's had been for years when he was #2 or #3 in the time-slot, and that the charge for ads on Conan's show was not very different from what they were charging for ads on Letterman.

So, the writer asked, if Letterman's show had been making money for CBS all those years, how could NBC claim that Conan was suddenly losing money for them?
I think this is precisely why some of us think they're screwing around with accounting with that factoid. I think they have to be counting a lot of the fixed or one time costs like the move from NY to LA, the studio, etc.
Old 01-23-10, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Don't know if this is true or not, but damn, if it is.

A tweet from one of the Roots over at Late Night explained that despite the 'expensive bits' gags being fake... some of the stuff slipped in are indeed real. The song that was used for Tom Hanks' walkon is on the restricted list and costs 1/2 a million dollars to play on the air. Freebird is also restricted. These two bits may not show up on Hulu.
Old 01-23-10, 09:22 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Did that quote begin "Dear Internet"?
Old 01-23-10, 09:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Achtung
I know this comes off as slightly cheesy, but I'm going to print that out and keep it next to my desk. That was fantastic.
Same here. I work with kids so, particularly the last part of the speech is being hung up for them all to see.
Old 01-23-10, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

Originally Posted by Truffaut Fan
I doubt it. Reports are that profits for "The Tonight Show" were down $200 million from last year. They would still be $50 million ahead if Conan's payout were $150 million.
I think this is a total bullshit number, with set building, moving, hiring and other start up costs included to make NBC look better

Actually if we were to audit these numbers we might see Winter Olympic costs calculated into Conan's 'loss'

Last edited by Tommy Ceez; 01-23-10 at 10:21 PM.
Old 01-24-10, 01:42 AM
Banned

Just watched the final show. The last part with Will Ferrell was one of the worst things I've ever seen on TV. Just a complete and total bastardization of a classic song. Not one thing funny about it. Oh what, did he pull out the "cow bell" gag, again? And that's supposed to be funny? What's with the making out with his woman on stage during the song? Was that supposed to be funny? Kicking the mic stand? Really? I have to seriously wonder about anyone who found any of that to be entertaining at all. Jay Leno is 100 times funnier on his worst night than Will Ferrell is on his best.

I love Conan, always will, but I seriously have to wonder how in the world he thought THAT would be a good note to end his Tonight Show run on. Just terrible.

If you ever need proof that this world is not just, remember that Chris Farley is dead and Will Ferrell is still alive.
Old 01-24-10, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones
Don't know if this is true or not, but damn, if it is.
Well I mean they really can't fake football games or songs, so I don't see how people could think that was fake
Old 01-24-10, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SonOfAStu
Just watched the final show. The last part with Will Ferrell was one of the worst things I've ever seen on TV. Just a complete and total bastardization of a classic song. Not one thing funny about it. Oh what, did he pull out the "cow bell" gag, again? And that's supposed to be funny? What's with the making out with his woman on stage during the song? Was that supposed to be funny? Kicking the mic stand? Really? I have to seriously wonder about anyone who found any of that to be entertaining at all. Jay Leno is 100 times funnier on his worst night than Will Ferrell is on his best.

I love Conan, always will, but I seriously have to wonder how in the world he thought THAT would be a good note to end his Tonight Show run on. Just terrible.
I thought the ending was great. Different strokes, I guess.

If you ever need proof that this world is not just, remember that Chris Farley is dead and Will Ferrell is still alive.
Farley killed himself with drugs and a very unhealthy lifestyle. Justice really had nothing to do with it - he was an irresponsible person.
Old 01-24-10, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Maybe you should bury your fucking cynicism and obvious hatred of Will Ferrell and just see that this is the way Conan probably wanted to go out: playing Freebird together on stage with friends and heroes.
Old 01-24-10, 04:58 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

I usually like Ferrell and I didn't quite hate it as much as you did, but I do agree with this sentiment to an extent. My main issue was that Will completely upstaged Conan in that bit... it just felt to me the final moments of Conan's Tonight Show became The Will Ferrell Show. I also think Will staying 'in character' throughout that routine added nothing to the segment and took away from Conan's moment a little. Just my opinion. Maybe that was Conan's choice, though, and if so, ah well.
Old 01-24-10, 05:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

It's hilarious to see NBC bitching about Conan losing them money when their whole prime time line-up is hovering in UPN territory.
Old 01-24-10, 05:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
It's hilarious to see NBC bitching about Conan losing them money when their whole prime time line-up is hovering in UPN territory.
They are bitching because they gambled moving Leno to give Conan a shot. And when that didn't work Conan acts like the bitch because NBC wants to put back the way things were.
Old 01-24-10, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by anomynous
Well I mean they really can't fake football games or songs, so I don't see how people could think that was fake
The licensing fee for the original recordings of well-known songs is expensive (although a band covering them is a lot cheaper), so they did spend some $$$ for that. But given that NBC is one of the few networks with a current broadcast contract to show NFL games, I doubt the football footage cost that much for the show to air.
Old 01-24-10, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks like it wasn't really "mine that bird" as the horse Conan brought out
Old 01-24-10, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

While Conan did say 'restricted' football footage, was it really or was it footage of some random game they are allowed to air?
Old 01-24-10, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
looks like it wasn't really "mine that bird" as the horse Conan brought out
Was the mink snuggie real mink? It looked synthetic to me, but I didn't get to see it in High-Def.
Old 01-24-10, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by DRG
I usually like Ferrell and I didn't quite hate it as much as you did, but I do agree with this sentiment to an extent. My main issue was that Will completely upstaged Conan in that bit... it just felt to me the final moments of Conan's Tonight Show became The Will Ferrell Show. I also think Will staying 'in character' throughout that routine added nothing to the segment and took away from Conan's moment a little. Just my opinion. Maybe that was Conan's choice, though, and if so, ah well.
I'm sure it was exactly what Conan wanted... Conan took other opportunities during the show to be the center of attention and he got to say what he wanted to say and go out with class.

I didn't think of Free Bird as a Will Ferrel bit; Yeah, Ferrel was acting goofy and doing a character, but that's how he always is. The whole thing was just about everybody having fun, it wasn't supposed to be some serious and solemn thing. Conan purposely made it so it wasn't all about him, instead it was all about the fun and comradery.

If Ferrell already rubs you the wrong way though I can see how someone might not of liked it.
Old 01-24-10, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts

Conan kept saying "We're going to have fun on television" this week that I wonder of Fun on Television with Conan O'Brien is a possible show title
Old 01-24-10, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Oh please...what, they raped your favorite 36-year-old song? It was an awesome ending to a great show, and if you can't see the reasons why, then Leno will be back on for you soon I guess.
Old 01-24-10, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Freebird is exactly what happens when a bunch of friends get together to rock. Just having fun and goofing around. Just look at the joy on Conan's face as hes playing.
Old 01-24-10, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Freebird is exactly what happens when a bunch of friends get together to rock. Just having fun and goofing around. Just look at the joy on Conan's face as hes playing.
Yep, this.

It was a great way to go out, having fun on television with your friends.
Old 01-24-10, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by resinrats
While Conan did say 'restricted' football footage, was it really or was it footage of some random game they are allowed to air?
I thought it was "restricted NFL Superbowl football coverage".

Last edited by devilshalo; 01-24-10 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-24-10, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Of course, they could have just said it was Superbowl footage. It could have easily have been non-Superboowl footage. For what they showed, it could come from any game those two teams were in together.
Old 01-24-10, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

In any case, I'm sure PETA would have jumped all over that mink snuggy.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.