DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   NBC announces its post-Olympics (No more Leno at 10!) schedule - FNL, Parenthood, etc (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/568008-nbc-announces-its-post-olympics-no-more-leno-10-schedule-fnl-parenthood-etc.html)

Gizmo 01-14-10 02:24 PM

NBC announces its post-Olympics (No more Leno at 10!) schedule - FNL, Parenthood, etc

Given all the drama, thought this would be a good idea. New show dates!

Ready for life after "Leno Show"?

With NBC pulling the 10 p.m. talk show effective next month, the network's post-Winter Olympics schedule has mostly scripted dramas in its place -- including "Law & Order" and new drama "Parenthood." NBC's new lineup takes effect March 1.

As part of the plan, NBC announced premiere dates for freshman drama “Parenthood” (March 2), the Jerry Seinfeld-produced reality series “The Marriage Ref” (March 4), Lisa Kudrow-produced genealogy reality series “Who Do You Think You Are?” (March 5) and game show “Minute to Win It” (March 14).

Also, “Friday Night Lights” returns April 30, and the network's six remaining episodes of "Trauma" will air starting March 8.

Here's the schedule:

MONDAYS

8-9 p.m. -- “Chuck”
9-10 p.m. -- “Trauma” (beginning March 8)
10-11 p.m. –“Law & Order” (returns March 1 with two-hour episode, 9-11 p.m. (ET); resumes in regular timeslot March 8)

TUESDAYS

8-10 p.m. – “The Biggest Loser”
10-11 p.m. – “PARENTHOOD” (premieres March 2)

WEDNESDAYS

8-9 p.m. – “Mercy”
9-10 p.m. – “Law & Order: Special Victims Unit” (encores beginning March 3)
10-11 p.m. – “Law & Order: Special Victims Unit” (originals beginning March 3)

THURSDAYS

8-8:30 p.m. – “Community”
8:30-9 p.m. – “Parks and Recreation”
9-9:30 p.m. – “The Office”
9:30-10 p.m. – “30 Rock”
10-11 p.m. – “THE MARRIAGE REF” (premieres March 4; sneak preview February 28)

FRIDAYS

8-9 p.m. – “WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE?” (premieres March 5; “Friday Night Lights” returns on April 30)
9-11 p.m. – “Dateline NBC” (begins March 5)

SATURDAYS (all beginning March 6)

8-9 p.m. – “The Biggest Loser” (encore episode)
9-10 p.m. – “Law & Order” (encore episode)
10-11 p.m. – “Law & Order: Special Victims Unit” (encore episode)

SUNDAYS (all beginning March 14)

7-8 p.m. – “Dateline NBC”
8-9 p.m. – “MINUTE TO WIN IT” (premieres March 14)
9-11 p.m. -- “The Celebrity Apprentice” (season premiere March 14)

Gizmo 01-14-10 02:26 PM

Re: NBC announces its post-Olympics (No more Leno at 10!) schedule - FNL, Parenthood,

"Parenthood" is a one-hour drama inspired by the box-office comedy hit of the same name that debuts Tuesday, March 2 (10-11 p.m. ET). The re-imagined and updated production introduces audiences to the large and colorful yet imperfect Braverman family and features an all-star cast that includes Lauren Graham, Peter Krause, Craig T. Nelson, Erika Christensen, and Bonnie Bedelia among others. Serving as executive producers are Oscar winners Ron Howard and Brian Grazer ("A Beautiful Mind," "Frost/Nixon"), Jason Katims ("Friday Night Lights") - who wrote the pilot episode - and David Nevins ("Friday Night Lights," "Arrested Development"). Emmy Award winner Thomas Schlamme ("The West Wing") is the director and executive producer of the pilot. "Parenthood" is from Imagine Television and Universal Media Studios.

"The Marriage Ref" - which has a special sneak preview following the Closing Ceremony of the Winter Olympics on February 28 - is NBC's new comedy panel series about the unpredictable and hilarious institution commonly known as marriage. It features comedian/actor Tom Papa, who was personally selected by executive producer Jerry Seinfeld to host and serve as the "marriage ref." The show will premiere in its regular slot on Thursdays (10-11 p.m. ET) beginning March 4.

"The Marriage Ref" is produced by Seinfeld's Columbus 81 Productions and Ellen Rakieten Entertainment. Seinfeld, Ellen Rakieten ("The Oprah Winfrey Show"), Shed Media's Nick Emmerson ("Supernanny") and Jennifer O'Connell ("Supernanny"), Al Berman ("The Biggest Loser Live Finale," "The Celebrity Apprentice Live Finale"), Howard West ("Seinfeld") and George Shapiro ("Seinfeld") serve as executive producers. International distribution is by Endemol.

"Who Do You Think You Are?" premieres Friday, March 5 (8-9 p.m. ET) and gives viewers an up-close and personal look inside the family history of some of today's most beloved and iconic celebrities. Among the celebrities featured are Matthew Broderick, Lisa Kudrow, Spike Lee, Sarah Jessica Parker, Susan Sarandon, Brooke Shields and Emmitt Smith. Ancestry.com is NBC's official partner on the series. From executive producer Kudrow ("Friends," "The Comeback") - in conjunction with her production company Is or Isn't Entertainment and the U.K.'s Wall to Wall productions - "Who Do You Think You Are?" is an adaptation of the hit BBC television documentary series created and executive-produced by Alex Graham.

"Who Do You Think You Are?" is produced by Wall to Wall productions (a Shed Media Company) in association with Is or Isn't Entertainment. Alex Graham and Lucy Carter from Wall to Wall and Lisa Kudrow, Dan Bucatinsky and Don Roos from Is or Isn't Entertainment are the executive producers. Bryn Freedman is the co-executive producer.

All-American chef and television personality Guy Fieri ("Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives") will host NBC's new game show "Minute to Win It" as it debuts on Sunday, March 14 (8-9 p.m. ET). Fieri will serve as master of ceremonies and will lead competitors through a series of simple, yet nerve-wracking games that can reward them a $1 million prize. Over eight one-hour episodes, competitors will face 10 challenges that escalate in level of difficulty using everyday household items. Each game has a 60-second time limit and failure to finish the task on time will eliminate the contestant. At various points throughout the game, the contestant can walk away with the money earned up to that point - but it'll take nerves of steel to complete all 10 tasks to win $1 million.

"Minute to Win It" is produced by Universal Media Studios with Friday Television. Craig Plestis, Tim Puntillo (NBC's "Identity"), Mattias Olsson and Jock Millgardh serve as executive producers.

Gizmo 01-14-10 02:28 PM

Re: NBC announces its post-Olympics (No more Leno at 10!) schedule - FNL, Parenthood,

Just Parenthood for me. Those gameshows look beyond stupid.

DGibFen 01-14-10 02:29 PM

I didn't know NBC had the rights for the BBC's "Who Do You Think You Are?" show. I wonder if it will follow that show's format of celebrities searching their family trees, or if it ends up being more about semi-extraordinary American families.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Do_...ink_You_Are%3F

cleaver 01-14-10 02:32 PM

Parks & Recreation (http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/4ac...tang-of-comedy) and The Office, watching FNL on 101, will never land on NBC for any other reason.

DJariya 01-14-10 02:38 PM

Updated the sticky at the top of this forum too with all the new airdates/times.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/565...ere-dates.html

DJariya 01-14-10 02:40 PM

Looking forward to Parenthood.

Tracer Bullet 01-14-10 03:14 PM

So when exactly did NBC become FOX circa 1995?

Gizmo 01-14-10 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet (Post 9943017)
So when exactly did NBC become FOX circa 1995?

You mean ratings-wise or shitty programming? Been a few years now.

DJariya 01-14-10 03:20 PM

This has been a disastrous TV season for NBC.

Gizmo 01-14-10 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 9943032)
This has been a disastrous TV season for NBC.

So were the past 2-4. Chuck is the only show that made it since 2007! Life made it for 2 seasons...but everything else is long gone. NBC fucked themselves so many times. And next season they will have no choice but to bring back a lot of shows if their Pilots don't pan out (even then, they may pick sub-par Pilots because they will likely do better then Mercy, Trauma, etc.)

LickTheABCs 01-14-10 03:24 PM

I'll watch Parenthood for my long-standing crush on Lauren Graham. Everything else looks, well, NBCish.

rfduncan 01-14-10 04:49 PM

Glad I don't have to wait too long for FNL in HD. I blew it catching it on the 101 in the fall.

I knew they short-ordered Heroes, but is it ending its season before the Olympics? Doesn't seem close to a season wrap-up right now...

JuryDuty 01-14-10 05:29 PM

I watch FNL on DirecTV, so the only thing I'll watch NBC for now is The Office. Wow. The network will get 20 minutes of my time per week.

Jimmy James 01-14-10 05:30 PM

The circumstances surrounding this assure that I will not see a moment of any of this garbage. I'm sorry Maura Tierney had to get cancer to not be associated with Parenthood, but it makes my choice to give that show no chance much easier. I can only hope Maura will survive and don't mean any of the above in a way that is insensitive. I'm just a big fan of Maura and a big Zucker-Leno-NBC detractor.

writer106 01-14-10 05:55 PM

I have seen the promos for Parenthood and the show does look good. When I first read about it in magazines and online it didn't really interest me. I'm fan of Peter Krause, Craig T. Nelson and Lauren Graham. I think the show can do well. Even though I have been watching FNL on DirecTV I will probably still watch it on NBC.

conscience 01-14-10 07:30 PM

Parenthood is it on NBC for Krause and Graham.

CreamyGoodness 01-14-10 08:26 PM

So is 'Day One' dead? They still have the show listed on the NBC site, but all of the promo videos are gone. I thought it looked interesting.

Looking forward to 'Parenthood'. A lot of good people involved. It's got to be better than the one they tried in 1990, which lasted 12 episodes.

Tscott 01-14-10 08:34 PM

Darn it. I was hoping they'd move Mercy to a 10/9c slot. I'm really enjoying that show and I think it'd get more eyes on it if it had a later time slot.

Drav3n 01-14-10 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Tscott (Post 9943564)
Darn it. I was hoping they'd move Mercy to a 10/9c slot. I'm really enjoying that show and I think it'd get more eyes on it if it had a later time slot.

I agree w/ u. I always have to watch it on hulu the next day bc im usually watchin the abc shows on wednesday night instead.

DJariya 01-14-10 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness (Post 9943554)
So is 'Day One' dead? They still have the show listed on the NBC site, but all of the promo videos are gone. I thought it looked interesting.

Looking forward to 'Parenthood'. A lot of good people involved. It's got to be better than the one they tried in 1990, which lasted 12 episodes.

Day One is going to be a 4 hour mini-series instead of actual show. I think it will pop up this summer.

Gizmo 01-14-10 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 9943586)
Day One is going to be a 4 hour mini-series instead of actual show. I think it will pop up this summer.

Uhh, it was chopped down to a 2 hour 'movie'.

Call it the Incredible Shrinking Show.

Remember NBC's proposed sci-fi series Day One? First it was a show. Then it was a one-season show. Then it was a miniseries.

Now, it's just a TV movie, said Angela Bromstad, president of prime-time entertainment at NBC and Universal Media Studios.

"Day One is going to air as a two-hour movie," Bromstad said in a group interview on Sunday as part of the Television Critics Association winter press tour in Pasadena, Calif. "We looked at after V launched and after FlashForward launched with a strong initial thing. We didn't want to come on after that. As we sat down with [executive producer] Jesse [Alexander] and talked about more of the mythology, there's just concern about sustaining that."

Bromstad added that the Day One movie will consist of the pilot that was originally shot. They just didn't shoot any additional footage. "We've only shot the two-hour pilot," Bromstad said. "It will be a pilot where you could see where it could go in series, but there will be a resolve at the end of the two hours."

There is still hope for continuing the story if the standalone movie version is a hit. "Absolutely," she said. "If it performs, absolutely." She has not scheduled Day One yet.

Superman07 01-15-10 06:33 AM

All this says to me is that Chuck could be very well poissed to get a 4th season. :)

esc24 01-15-10 07:15 AM

I don't understand all of the hate for NBC. While their ratings may suck, they consistently have had the highest quality programming (amongst the 5 broadcast networks) for at least the last 5 five years. CBS and Fox basically just run reality shows and procedurals. ABC has a pretty good schedule, but NBC creatively has far superior shows. So do people just pick on them because it's easy or because they genuinely feel like the quality of programming on NBC is lower than Fox, CBS, and ABC.

rfduncan 01-15-10 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Superman07 (Post 9944039)
All this says to me is that Chuck could be very well poissed to get a 4th season. :)

Well that all depends on how NBC sees the numbers - ratings for a network show or ratings for a show on their network.

Originally Posted by esc24 (Post 9944069)
I don't understand all of the hate for NBC. While their ratings may suck, they consistently have had the highest quality programming (amongst the 5 broadcast networks) for at least the last 5 five years. CBS and Fox basically just run reality shows and procedurals. ABC has a pretty good schedule, but NBC creatively has far superior shows. So do people just pick on them because it's easy or because they genuinely feel like the quality of programming on NBC is lower than Fox, CBS, and ABC.

I think it partially stems from their history of canceling decent shows prematurely for only getting decent instead of stellar ratings... see Southland, Life, Journeyman etc. No one is willing to even try to commit to watching a new show on NBC because it is likely to get canned. Cyclical argument, I know, but I really intentionally skipped Mercy and only watch Trauma on Hulu as an afterthought.