Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Simpsons -- "Once Upon A Time In Springfield" + 20th Anniversary Sp. - 01/10/10

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Simpsons -- "Once Upon A Time In Springfield" + 20th Anniversary Sp. - 01/10/10

Old 01-10-10, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

"Once Upon a Time in Springfield"
Spoiler:
Milhouse and Bart try to help Krusty regain his popularity after he is forced to restructure the format of his TV show.

Originally Aired: January 10, 2010

After this episode, there will be a one hour special called "The Simpsons 20th Anniversary Special: in 3D! On Ice!
This special was produced, written, directed and hosted by Morgan Spurlock.

Here is a link to an advance review of the special:
http://tv.ign.com/articles/105/1059405p1.html
Old 01-10-10, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts
Re: The Simpsons -- "Once Upon A Time In Springfield" + 20th Anniversary Sp. - 01/10/

Hmm....as big a fan as I am of the Simpsons, I don't think I really care to see that 20 Anniversary special.
Old 01-10-10, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Simpsons -- "Once Upon A Time In Springfield" + 20th Anniversary Sp. - 01/10/

The video of Hank, Dale, Bill, and Boomhauer talking about The Simpsons makes me miss King Of The Hill even more...
Old 01-10-10, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

pad your dvr's. Game just ended, but they'll prob have post game shit
Old 01-10-10, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

anyone catch the sign saying "fox, still sucking..." Also like the chalk board line "the world may end in 2010, but this show won't"
Old 01-10-10, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
anyone catch the sign saying "fox, still sucking..." Also like the chalk board line "the world may end in 2010, but this show won't"
Yeah I got a good laugh at both of those. Did the billboard say anything else besides "Still Sucking" though? It looked like it might have but passed by too fast.

I do wonder when the show will finally come to an end though. I don't mind it continuing on...it's hit some rough patches over the years, but this season has definitely been on the upswing.
Old 01-10-10, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

thanks to the dvr "The Fox Network (with a picture of maggie), Still Sucking After 20 Years"

pretty funny episode thus far
bart - comeon, that looks fake, you can see the strings of the horn
lisa - let me have this

oh and the princess is Anne Hathaway
Old 01-10-10, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh Bart, you say that now but when you're an adult you'll just think it.
Old 01-10-10, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Millhouse with a bag over his head with his glasses on
Old 01-10-10, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"This kid and his ugly sister are right!" Haha; the hits to Millhouse keep on coming.
Old 01-10-10, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not too bad. Continuing the trend of good episodes this season that start and finish strong. Had a good amount of heart too, which is something The Simpsons was lacking in previous years.

That was a nice way to end the episode too and commemorate the 20th Anniversary.
Old 01-10-10, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

wow, that actually was Eartha Kitt in the cameo before she died.
"thanks for 20 years, the best is yet to come" at the end
Old 01-10-10, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The only enjoyable part for me was when Milhouse out on his old square glasses.
Old 01-10-10, 07:55 PM
Banned

Loved the episode and i"m enjoying the special. Hopefully, they'll release a longer version of the documentary.
Old 01-10-10, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Conan, your dream may come true now!
Old 01-10-10, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

"I'm in Star Wars".
Old 01-10-10, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm torn about the special. I understand the overwhelming task that Morgan Spurlock was presented with, but I think he dropped the ball on more than one occasion. While I enjoyed it, there was a lot more that I did not enjoy or found utterly pointless.

Did we really need a Moby Remix of Mr. Plow? I understand the show "influenced" Seth MacFarlane and others, but I would much rather see people that are or were actually involved with the show being interviewed. Focusing on the fans is nice and all, but that's the type of stuff anyone could see by going to a convention or searching the internet. There was way too much of interviewing random people on the streets and less interviewing the creative minds involved. Did we really need to see that random Mayor in California or Dr. Ruth or Jerry Springer or John Waters? (even though some of them might have had a guest appearance on an episode)

What was the purpose of the bit about Argentina? Do we really need to know what Brazilians thought about the episode or what Brazil is really like? Did we need to see what Bill Donahue thinks of the show or how it incorrectly depicts nuclear power? I mean, come on! This should have been a special about The Simpsons, not an exposé on what The Simpsons (obviously and intentionally) portrays inaccurately.

"Having said that" [Curb Your Enthusiasm], the stuff I enjoyed the most was when we got to see the creative minds involved. Seeing Groening or Scully or random writers was great. And the brief (we saw Castellaneta once and Azaria only twice) appearances of the voice actors was fantastic. I was glad to see Ullman make an appearance and would have liked Scully to address the decline in quality. I also enjoyed seeing the people and places that inspired the characters and places in Springfield. It needed more of that stuff though, and less of everything else.

Got a kick out of the end with The Comic Book Guy saying "I liked it." And Conan's proposed ending was hilarious.

The special started out strong and the quality declined as it went on...sound familiar anyone?
Old 01-10-10, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I could watch an hour documentary on the British collector guy alone.
Old 01-10-10, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kstublen
I'm torn about the special. I understand the overwhelming task that Morgan Spurlock was presented with, but I think he dropped the ball on more than one occasion. While I enjoyed it, there was a lot more that I did not enjoy or found utterly pointless.

Did we really need a Moby Remix of Mr. Plow? I understand the show "influenced" Seth MacFarlane and others, but I would much rather see people that are or were actually involved with the show being interviewed. Focusing on the fans is nice and all, but that's the type of stuff anyone could see by going to a convention or searching the internet. There was way too much of interviewing random people on the streets and less interviewing the creative minds involved. Did we really need to see that random Mayor in California or Dr. Ruth or Jerry Springer or John Waters? (even though some of them might have had a guest appearance on an episode)

What was the purpose of the bit about Argentina? Do we really need to know what Brazilians thought about the episode or what Brazil is really like? Did we need to see what Bill Donahue thinks of the show or how it incorrectly depicts nuclear power? I mean, come on! This should have been a special about The Simpsons, not an exposé on what The Simpsons (obviously and intentionally) portrays inaccurately.

"Having said that" [Curb Your Enthusiasm], the stuff I enjoyed the most was when we got to see the creative minds involved. Seeing Groening or Scully or random writers was great. And the brief (we saw Castellaneta once and Azaria only twice) appearances of the voice actors was fantastic. I was glad to see Ullman make an appearance and would have liked Scully to address the decline in quality. I also enjoyed seeing the people and places that inspired the characters and places in Springfield. It needed more of that stuff though, and less of everything else.

Got a kick out of the end with The Comic Book Guy saying "I liked it." And Conan's proposed ending was hilarious.

The special started out strong and the quality declined as it went on...sound familiar anyone?
Comic Book Guy? Is that you?

I thought the aim of the special was to celebrate The Simpsons, not the creative process of the show that you can just as easily find by going to a convention or searching the internet. I thought it did a great job, in 48 minutes, showcasing the show and it's fans and the impact the show has had on our global culture over the past 20 years.
Old 01-10-10, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

The episode was absolutely terrible, will watch the 20th anniversary special tomorrow.
Old 01-10-10, 11:56 PM
Banned

Gary Larson 'coming out of retirement' from his "The Far Side" panel to become animated on this episode of The Simpsons only to have his impromptu drawing go unseen by us, the viewing audience has to go down as the Most. Brilliant. Cameo. Ever.
Old 01-11-10, 12:05 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 245 Likes on 185 Posts

The Milhouse bits in the episode were pretty good.

Also loved Conan's ending to the series
Old 01-11-10, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Liked tonights episode. Anniversary special was great as well.
Old 01-11-10, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 438 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by kstublen
And Conan's proposed ending was hilarious.
Conan must not be watching the show, as the scene of his proposed ending has happened a few times in the last 15 years or so.
Old 01-11-10, 01:42 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 245 Likes on 185 Posts

I don't know if it intentional or not, but the copy of "Fashion for Dummies" in the pile of books behind Dr. Ruth cracked me up

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.