Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Chuck -- Season Premiere -- "Chuck Versus the Pink Slip; the Three Words" -- 01/10/10

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Chuck -- Season Premiere -- "Chuck Versus the Pink Slip; the Three Words" -- 01/10/10

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-10, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Chuck -- Season Premiere -- "Chuck Versus the Pink Slip; the Three Words" -- 01/1

Originally Posted by JasonF
Yvonne and Mini Anden getting dressed for the party

I know I'm stright because that was my first reaction to that scene. But I'm not 100% sure because my second reaction was "Why is Sarah wearing a bra and a dress with spaghetti straps?" Sure enough, the bra straps were gone for the next scene.
I'm still rewinding that scene.

Old 01-10-10, 10:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Chuck -- Season Premiere -- "Chuck Versus the Pink Slip; the Three Words" -- 01/1

God how I love this show. Poor Chuck isn't ever going to get any though.
Old 01-10-10, 10:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh, and

Way to go Morgan!
Old 01-10-10, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

Wow, no mention of Karl Stromberg yet. Granted he didn't have an underwater lair or a seven foot henchman with steel teeth but still...
Old 01-10-10, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So glad to have this show back!
Old 01-10-10, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Hadrian7
Go Morgan! And he didn't even have to use the homemade punch.
Actually, he did. Just before he goes in and tells off Carina and the guys, we see him taking a quick drink from someone's cup of Jail Juice, which explains why Jeff is the way he is.

Thank you Fedak & Schwartz & company for the shots of Yvonne in a bikini and lingerie. 7 1/2 months without seeing the lovely Ms. Strahovski on my TV screen was way too long. An added bonus: thanks to my brother who moved home and brought his 52" HDTV with him meant I could see her in HD.

At the end of last season, Chuck was the most entertaining show on television and after tonight's double feature, it hasn't lost a step. An awesome blend of action, comedy and drama.

I wish we could have seen more of Buy-Moria in it's totalitarian regime. It was weird seeing Jeff acting "normal" to other people.
Old 01-10-10, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So, they've almost practically written out Awesome and Ellie (the Honda Crosstour ads notwithstanding)?
Old 01-10-10, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Chew
Tony Hale wasn't enough of a "villain" to give him that kind of ending.
The shot of his broken glasses laying on the ground, all I could think of was:

Spoiler:
Old 01-10-10, 10:30 PM

Loved the Lebowski references. Does anyone know of a website that keeps up with all of the references that the show makes. I catch a lot of them but I know I miss some. I just rewatched season 2 and can't believe I missed Tony Hale yelling "no touching" the first time around.
Old 01-10-10, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Patman
So, they've almost practically written out Awesome and Ellie (the Honda Crosstour ads notwithstanding)?
Budget casualties. They won't be in every episode.

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
The shot of his broken glasses laying on the ground, all I could think of was:

Spoiler:
I was thinking more along the lines of
Spoiler:
Moe Green in The Godfather. It ties in with Karl's "I want my first child to be a masculine child"
Old 01-10-10, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

I enjoyed every damn minute of it.

Zachary Levi's hair looks almost as bad as Adam Baldwin's hair piece. It's too short.

The prep scene in Sarah's room was most appreciated by this sector of the audience.
Old 01-10-10, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Patman
Budget cuts not withstanding they weren't in every episode last year either. There usually only around when there is a home front storyline.

From what I've read, Awesome figures prominently in the next episode.
Old 01-10-10, 10:43 PM

Quick question: I've never seen Chuck, except for a scene here and there, but I've heard it's an excellent show. Would I be lost just jumping in tonight or should I just dvr the episodes until I can catch up?
Old 01-10-10, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by James Lafleur
Quick question: I've never seen Chuck, except for a scene here and there, but I've heard it's an excellent show. Would I be lost just jumping in tonight or should I just dvr the episodes until I can catch up?
A critic I read has said you can jump in now, but if you want to be able to understand and catch everything, I would recommend starting from the beginning.

There's 13 episodes in Season 1 and 22 episodes in Season 2, so if you can get through the episodes fairly quickly (3-4 a day), you can probably be caught up by the 5th episode of this season.

Was I the only one who rolled his eyes when Ellie and Awesome's TV was showing static while Chuck was sleeping?
Old 01-10-10, 11:02 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

DVR the new ones right now and get the blu ray of Season 1 and 2. You can watch the ones now, but to fully understand what's going on now - and the characters and their stories - it's best to start from the beginning. Well worth it.
Old 01-10-10, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

NBC still has the Pilot episode from S1 and the final five episodes of S2 online which would do a pretty good job of catching you up. http://www.nbc.com/chuck/video/categ...eason-1/28663/

You may miss some references, but anytime is a good time to start watching Chuck...especially since S3 is just kicking off with the intersect 2.0.

EDIT www.thewb.com has another 7 episodes from S1 online.

Last edited by dfmaverick2; 01-10-10 at 11:12 PM.
Old 01-10-10, 11:11 PM

Thanks everyone. I dvr'd the mini marathon Scifi Channel had so I'm just gonna watch the pilot, and the marathon episodes and then try to jump in. I'm out of work at the moment, so the season blu-rays will have to be put on hold for the moment.
Old 01-10-10, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by dfmaverick2
NBC still has the Pilot episode from S1 and the final five episodes of S2 online which would do a pretty good job of catching you up. http://www.nbc.com/chuck/video/categ...eason-1/28663/

You may miss some references, but anytime is a good time to start watching Chuck...especially since S3 is just kicking off with the intersect 2.0.

EDIT www.thewb.com has another 7 episodes from S1 online.
Fantastic! Guess I'll catch these episodes as well. Thanks a lot.
Old 01-10-10, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks everyone. I dvr'd the mini marathon Scifi Channel had so I'm just gonna watch the pilot, and the marathon episodes and then try to jump in. I'm out of work at the moment, so the season blu-rays will have to be put on hold for the moment.
Good call. The mini-marathon provides the majority of the Chuck mythology to get into the series. You might miss some things and awesome episodes like Chuck vs. the Crown Vic and Chuck vs. Tom Sawyer, but you'll get the gist of the series.

Regarding this episode we can definitely see where the series is going to go from now on. And I like it. They were able to so far successful rejuvenate the series while still staying true to the past couple seasons. You can definitely see where the budget cuts were evident in the 2 episodes (training in Prague, the club scene, the "Mexican" shootout) but you know what? I still loved every second of it. Chuck might be version 2.0 but he can still glitch out and that can certainly provide some good storylines in the future.

If I had a gripe it would be the emergence of The Ring and the

Spoiler:
new as of yet unnamed government conspiracy plot.

I liked Fulcrum and didn't think that we really needed another super-evil organized crime/spy syndicate out there.

@ Zeke - I meant that Morgan didn't need to give Carina the homemade punch for him to seduce her. When in the break-room talking about the party Jeff not-so-subtlely hinted that his punch would give Morgan some "homefield advantage."
Old 01-10-10, 11:38 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm really liking this show. The Syfy mini-marathon was a lot of fun, and tonight's episodes were solid. I'll be catching up on the first two seasons for sure.
Old 01-10-10, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Chew
Tony Hale wasn't enough of a "villain" to give him that kind of ending.
That's what I loved about it.

What did he say before getting shot? My ears want to believe that he called him a pussy, but my ears have been known to be an idiot.

Anyway, 2 great episodes. Glad the show is back.

and WAY TO GO MORGAN!
Old 01-10-10, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

He did indeed call him a pussy.
Old 01-11-10, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
He did indeed call him a pussy.
I hated Tony Hale's character. He deserved what he got.
Glad to have the show back.
Old 01-11-10, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by riley_dude
I hated Tony Hale's character. He deserved what he got.
Glad to have the show back.
Still it was strange to see a Buy More employee get it since they've always managed to keep the Buy More people some what isolated from the danger Chuck faces.

Found the Anna Wu explanation unsatifactory. If they "had" to cut a cast member I would have rather kept her and jettisoned Big Mike. Considering they kept all the background losers at the Buy More was keeping her around really that big a deal. Hopefully, she'll be back in the latter six.
Old 01-11-10, 12:22 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

My one regret about Tony Hale's character: they didn't have him lose a hand. That would have been awesome.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.