Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Survivor: Samoa - 12/20/09 (Finale - 8/7c; Reunion - 10/9c)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who will be the sole survivor?
Brett
17.24%
Jaison
0%
Mick
6.90%
Natalie
24.14%
Russell
51.72%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Survivor: Samoa - 12/20/09 (Finale - 8/7c; Reunion - 10/9c)

Old 12-21-09, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Survivor: Samoa - 12/20/09 (Finale - 8/7c; Reunion - 10/9c)

Originally Posted by mwbmis
How are they different? He made fun of people for not "maning up" and accepting what they signed up for. He signed up for a game that had a jury vote at the end, and it didn't go his way and then he started crying. That's exactly what he was ridiculing people about.
They aren't the same thing at all. In his eyes (and many others) he should have been the winner... he was very passionate about the game, clearly, and it was obviously very upsetting.

He didn't bitch or moan ONCE about the brutal living conditions Survivor forces people to face, he knew exactly what he signed up for and loved every second of it while he was in Samoa. He made fun of the people whining and crying about the weather and the uncomfortable living conditions... it's just not the same thing. He never said "if someone cries because they lose this game, then they need to man up and face it because they signed up for that!"
Old 12-21-09, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
Russell's social game was horrible. His arrogance totally sabotaged his chances with the jury.

Mick is the male version of Amanda.
I think that's giving Mick WAY too much credit. Amanda was a good player who sucked in front of the jury. Mick pretty much sucked at everything, but was aligned with the right people.

He was more like a (far,far,....far!!!!) less interesting version of Courtney. I still love Courtney!
Old 12-21-09, 12:12 AM

How are they different? He made fun of people for not "maning up" and accepting what they signed up for. He signed up for a game that had a jury vote at the end, and it didn't go his way and then he started crying. That's exactly what he was ridiculing people about.
Exactly. He's also the only person who's ever done that. And I'm sure everyone's upset when they lose, so there's no excuse.
Spoiler:
I just hope his edit isn't as unbearable next season.
Old 12-21-09, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by TwineTime
At least Patman gets it. Although I'm pretty sure he's happy Natalie won for *ahem* other reasons.

Russell let the chickens out of their coop during the second half of the game. He also wore the immunity idol around his neck and made fake alliances with people right before voting them off.
Making fake alliances is part of the game... you have to lie. He did wonderfully. As for the chickens... yea, I guess you could call that evil, but it wasn't even revealed til the clip show. Plus, they should have cooked those things up the second they got them anyway. Waiting for eggs? Come on.
Old 12-21-09, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush
They aren't the same thing at all. In his eyes (and many others) he should have been the winner... he was very passionate about the game, clearly, and it was obviously very upsetting.

He didn't bitch or moan ONCE about the brutal living conditions Survivor forces people to face, he knew exactly what he signed up for and loved every second of it while he was in Samoa. He made fun of the people whining and crying about the weather and the uncomfortable living conditions... it's just not the same thing. He never said "if someone cries because they lose this game, then they need to man up and face it because they signed up for that!"
Ok, so he never said that and it's not the same thing.

Doesn't mean we can't laugh at him about it.
Old 12-21-09, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

He ridiculed people about complaining about what they signed up for. He signed up for a game decided by a jury...acted quite a bit like an arrogant ass...and then started crying to mama (and doing his lame pre-planned jokes) when things didn't go his way. It's not different at all in my eyes, except he looks like an even loser to me b/c the others weren't ridiculing him to the camera.

And that's all Russell is...he's first loser. Congratulations Russell! Sorry things didn't work out for you.
Old 12-21-09, 12:14 AM

Ok, so he never said that and it's not the same thing.

Doesn't mean we can't laugh at him about it.
Of course you can laugh at it all you want. I'm just explaining how your reasoning for thinking it's funny isn't correct.
Old 12-21-09, 12:16 AM

Making fake alliances is part of the game... you have to lie. He did wonderfully. As for the chickens... yea, I guess you could call that evil, but it wasn't even revealed til the clip show. Plus, they should have cooked those things up the second they got them anyway. Waiting for eggs? Come on.
There was no reason to lie to Dave. There was no reason to make that deal with Brett. There are reasons to lie in Survivor. Russell often lied for the sake of lying. I can't believe you're trying to argue that he wasn't interested in being seen as a villain. He specifically said, at the end of the show, that he was nothing like "Survivor Russell" in his everyday life. Implication there is that he was an ass on purpose for the sake of the game.
Old 12-21-09, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Haha...Courtney...

What many people never realize is that Survivor is the purest social game on TV, and if you exhibit arrogance, even with brilliant moves within the game, you make it so much harder for the jury to vote for you. Who you take to final tribal is also a key component to positioning yourself for being viewed as a more sympathetic and suitable choice for the jury's vote. Russell did screw that calculation up when his arrogance clouded his judgment by sticking with Natalie and Mick, rather than Jaison and Shambo. Never in a million years did Russell think the jury would vote for Natalie over him in a vote, but then he realized he had screwed up towards the end of the questioning when he answered Dave's question on his chances. It shows that the "bull in a china shop" approach seldom wins Survivor for you, and that's the game that Russell ultimately played, and proudly so, to his evenutal detriment.
Old 12-21-09, 12:18 AM

so to be completely clear... if Russell would have in fact won the game tonight, you would say that he wasn't deserving of it?
Old 12-21-09, 12:18 AM

Of course you can laugh at it all you want. I'm just explaining how your reasoning for thinking it's funny isn't correct.
Those weren't my reasons. When I laughed at him it was because he was a sore loser and I've never seen someone so entitled after a vote reveal. I was embarrassed for him but it was also funny considering his behavior throughout filming.
Old 12-21-09, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think that's giving Mick WAY too much credit. Amanda was a good player who sucked in front of the jury. Mick pretty much sucked at everything, but was aligned with the right people.
You took the words right out of my mouth.

Spoiler:
Maybe Amanda will melt down (again) in front of the jury next season!

so to be completely clear... if Russell would have in fact won the game tonight, you would say that he wasn't deserving of it?
If Russell would have won the game, I would think he deserved it. I think everyone who wins deserves it actually. The problem is, Russell needed to play the game differently in order to get jury votes from the people who didn't vote for him tonight. He didn't. He lost. Too bad. So sad. Man up. Cry in the privacy of your own home.

Those weren't my reasons. When I laughed at him it was because he was a sore loser and I've never seen someone so entitled after a vote reveal. I was embarrassed for him but it was also funny considering his behavior throughout filming.
It made sense to me, the guy was the most passionate player I've ever seen. Passionate people tend to cry.
Old 12-21-09, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For me...

No, I thought he deserved to win, but I think it's funny that he lost. Didn't like him from day one, and almost tuned out on this show for the first time in 19 installments a few weeks ago when it became the Russell/Shambo show. It's probably my least favorite season of Survivor b/c I didn't really like any of the characters on the show.

Erik saved it for me tonight. I loved the finale because Russell didn't win.
Old 12-21-09, 12:29 AM

It made sense to me, the guy was the most passionate player I've ever seen. Passionate people tend to cry.
So you were cool with passionate Jaison being honest about his struggle with the elements, right?

Oh no, wait. You said it was funny when Russell made fun of him for that. I can tell you this. Jaison probably would have taken losing the game like a man.
Old 12-21-09, 12:31 AM

So you were cool with passionate Jaison being honest about his struggle with the elements, right?

Oh no, wait. You said it was funny when Russell made fun of him for that. I can tell you this. Jaison probably would have taken losing the game like a man.
Being honest about how harsh the elements are and how hard of time you're having isn't being passionate.
Old 12-21-09, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

There was no reason to make that deal with Brett.
Of course there was. Brett had won 3 immunity challenges in a row and there was a very good chance that he would win the final challenge. Russell wanted to secure Brett's vote and his own spot in the final 3. Made perfect sense to me.
Old 12-21-09, 12:39 AM

Jaison was a passionate guy who wasn't shy about sharing his feelings with the other castaways. Obviously, he never quit, so he was mostly being honest about the toll the living conditions were having on his body. So it was ok for Russell to make fun of him for that, but it's not okay to make fun of Russell for his immature display during the reunion?
Old 12-21-09, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Patman
Haha...Courtney...
You know I have to take that back though. Courntney was a better player than Mick b/c she was great in front of that jury. If she hadn't been such a horrible player in the game, she could have beaten Todd with that performance.

Mick is more like Cassandra in the season that Earl won 9-0, but even she made some big strategic voting moves.

Mick sucked.
Old 12-21-09, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by dino88
Of course there was. Brett had won 3 immunity challenges in a row and there was a very good chance that he would win the final challenge. Russell wanted to secure Brett's vote and his own spot in the final 3. Made perfect sense to me.
Fine, I'll give you this. His intentions were good, although I think he would have been in the Final 3 without the deal and Brett didn't vote for him anyway.

Actually, I guess we're still unsure about that other Russell vote but I doubt it was Brett. Brett's vote probably went to Natalie since she bonded with him over their mutual faith. I suppose Russell could have tried to bond with anyone after Shambo but he didn't make the moves he needed to toward the end of the game.
Old 12-21-09, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Fine, I'll give you this. His intentions were good, although I think he would have been in the Final 3 without the deal and Brett didn't vote for him anyway.

Actually, I guess we're still unsure about that other Russell vote but I doubt it was Brett. Brett's vote probably went to Natalie since she bonded with him over their mutual faith. I suppose Russell could have tried to bond with anyone after Shambo but he didn't make the moves he needed to toward the end of the game.
I wasn't talking about the final vote, I was referring to Brett not voting Russell out of the game had he won the final challenge.
Old 12-21-09, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Russell should have taken Mick and Jaison. Still bitter I lost my $30 Amazon.com gift certificate.
Old 12-21-09, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by dino88
I wasn't talking about the final vote, I was referring to Brett not voting Russell out of the game had he won the final challenge.
I know. But like I've been saying all night, getting to the end is only half the battle.
Old 12-21-09, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I know. But like I've been saying all night, getting to the end is only half the battle.
But that's not what we're talking about. You said there was no reason to make a deal with Brett and I gave you the reason why.

Last edited by dino88; 12-21-09 at 01:01 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.