TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Dollhouse -- "Stop-Lost" & "The Attic" -- 12/18/09

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-09, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dollhouse -- "Stop-Lost" & "The Attic" -- 12/18/09

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
As his contract with the Dollhouse expires, Victor is released back into the world, where his military past threatens his future with Sierra. Meanwhile, Echo is deemed too dangerous and is sent into her worst nightmare.
Filming on the show officially wrapped Wednesday.

Three episodes left after tonight.

1/08/10: "Getting Closer"
1/15/10: "The Hollow Men"
1/22/10: "Epitaph Two: Return"

Feel the burn.

Last edited by Barry Woodward; 12-18-09 at 09:33 PM.
Old 12-18-09, 10:01 AM

Received 798 Likes on 521 Posts
Re: Dollhouse -- "Stop-Lost" & "The Attic" -- 12/18/09

In it until the end.
Old 12-18-09, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Yikes - another two episode week? I still haven't caught up with the second of last week's episodes thanks to holiday parties and other obligations.
Old 12-18-09, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It's ending soon.
Old 12-18-09, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, going out with a bang, they are.
Old 12-18-09, 10:08 PM

to John Cassaday directing "The Attic" episode.

2 more great episodes. I didn't think I would be this disappointed it's going to end.
Old 12-18-09, 10:41 PM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm blown away. Why couldn't this show be this good from the start? It's a shame it didn't get a chance to grow.
Old 12-18-09, 11:52 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

This feels like Buffy, which was a fun but not spectacular show until the middle of its second season when it got incredibly good. Unfortunately, Dollhouse is not being aired on a network which has nothing better to do than stick with a low-rated but promising show (as WB was back when Buffy aired).
Old 12-19-09, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jwb0323
Why couldn't this show be this good from the start? It's a shame it didn't get a chance to grow.
I really think they should have started in the first season with Echo retaining her personalities. That is the reason it is finally getting better. The idea that she can access these different personalities at will is making her a much more interesting character now.

It would have been great if at the end of the pilot episode, we saw her scribbled notes on the roof of her sleeping pod- that would have been the twist that she was retaining these memories. We could have gotten to where we are a lot quicker.
Old 12-19-09, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by jwb0323
I'm blown away. Why couldn't this show be this good from the start? It's a shame it didn't get a chance to grow.
Probably because they're cramming the whole series into 13 episodes? The show was cancelled while filming episode 8 which is why they're getting as much storyline in as possible now and why we're moving at breakneck speed all of a sudden.

That said, my mind is blown. Adelle sending Echo to the Attic to retrieve information was an awesome reveal; I'm glad things aren't as bad as they seemed last week when she handed all of Topher's work over to Rossum.
Old 12-19-09, 09:34 AM

WOW!!! i was blown away by last nights episode, it was amazing!! the fight scenes are just awesome, i had to watch the 2nd part twice to understand it though. i knew echo and sierra both died and flatlined, they showed echo trying to revive sierra but as for victor, at first it seemed he didn't die to come back to life. i got it the 2nd time. great twist finding adelle came around to echo's side and now kinda know why summer g's characher has it in for echo. but i thought she said they were best friends and then apperently caroline left her injured, i'm assuming because she posing as the secret agent that clyde referred to in "the attic" had info and it was carolines life or the toffer wannabe. anyway.....i'm so sad the show is going off air because it is picking up, this season started off kinda slow as last season did but halfway through, i couldn't wait from friday to friday!! now, 3 weeks till the next ep, hmpf!! and apparently echo gets her imprint back. i love the special effects, when she is slipping from one persono to another....but its echo...its always echo! the puns she spews cracks me up! locked and loaded, lol i hope that eliza dushku can find a series she can make her own. she was awesome as faith the vampire slayer, loved her in tru calling and well, this series..i've put in my 2 cents! josh and she were meant to work together. loved her better than smg anyday of the week! anyway....epitah one, never knew it never aired and obviously i don't have season one yet...but its on my xmas list...can it be d/l'd from that site, i forget the name.....sorry for rattling....just stoked about the last 3 3eps. anyone have any idea what they took from ballard?? i just love him.....and him and echo was like buffy and angel! peace.......
Old 12-19-09, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Sir_Fireboard
Probably because they're cramming the whole series into 13 episodes? The show was cancelled while filming episode 8 which is why they're getting as much storyline in as possible now and why we're moving at breakneck speed all of a sudden.
From what the cast and crew have said, it seems the final episodes were pretty much mapped out before the show was officially canceled. The breakneck speed started in episodes they completed before the ax fell. I'm sure they saw the writing on the wall and sped things up but even with this trajectory they were hoping for a third season. Once it was canceled, I'm sure they tweaked things here and there but it's still going to end the way they planned to when it wasn't canceled, Epitaph Two.
Originally Posted by Enver Gjokaj
I’m sure given the opportunity, they could have delved deeper, but they really wrapped it all up. Two or three months back, a writer said, “if we get a third season, we’ll be in big trouble because we’re pulling out all the stops for the second season finale.” And they did. The fans are going to be so happy with the way it resolves.

http://www.tvguidemagazine.com/dollh...ight-3562.html
Old 12-19-09, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by JasonF
This feels like Buffy, which was a fun but not spectacular show until the middle of its second season when it got incredibly good. Unfortunately, Dollhouse is not being aired on a network which has nothing better to do than stick with a low-rated but promising show (as WB was back when Buffy aired).
I have to say, I'm glad I stuck around through the mediocre 1st season and 1st part of 2nd season. I knew Joss wouldn't disappoint. This will be a great show to watch on DVD/Blu-ray.

Haven't watched these two eps yet. but the past couple of weeks have been incredibly good. Shame to see it go, but at least I hope he wraps it up well (like maybe in a feature film???)
Old 12-19-09, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

glad to see Adelle isn't actually a psycho bitch that needs to die
Old 12-19-09, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 807 Likes on 681 Posts

The past few episodes have made this show the most compelling drama on television. The whole premise works much better now that Echo is acting like a real person and not a doll. Whoever came up with that idea might have saved the show, if it had been introduced earlier. It really does not even feel like the same show. I used to detest Topher and have grown to really like him.

13-episode seasons might be the reason this show is getting canceled. Lots of good shows did not hit their stride until a full season or two were already completed in the days of 22-episode commitments for a season. I wonder if a cable channel like USA would have any interest.
Old 12-19-09, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Surprised no one's mentioned the line, "What year is it? 2010 - maybe. Don't know how long we've been off the air." Or something along those lines. Thought it was a nice little jab at Fox.
Old 12-19-09, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by joefrog91
Surprised no one's mentioned the line, "What year is it? 2010 - maybe. Don't know how long we've been off the air." Or something along those lines. Thought it was a nice little jab at Fox.
Yeah, I noticed that too. I also assume they thought this episode would air in 2010, before FOX decided to double-up the episodes.
Old 12-19-09, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

These two episodes were great! Love that they're finally getting away from the repetitive "Echo has a new sexy outfit this week" episodes and more focused on story

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger

13-episode seasons might be the reason this show is getting canceled. Lots of good shows did not hit their stride until a full season or two were already completed in the days of 22-episode commitments for a season. I wonder if a cable channel like USA would have any interest.
I was really hoping when the Firefly movie hit theaters, a cable channel like sci-fi would pick up the series. If none of the cable shows wanted 'Serenity', I highly doubt they'll want 'Dollhouse'.
Old 12-19-09, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Why did Ivy get back on board after telling Topher not to speak to her after being sent to DeWitte. That was weird.

BTW, "The Attic" was directed by John Cassaday, better known for being a superstar comic book artist, working on "The Astonishing X-Men" with Joss for 2 years (roughly 24-25 issues), and worked on "Planetary" with Warren Ellis for about a decade for 27 issues.
Old 12-19-09, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
BTW, "The Attic" was directed by John Cassaday, better known for being a superstar comic book artist, working on "The Astonishing X-Men" with Joss for 2 years (roughly 24-25 issues)
I was pleasantly surprised to see that too. Joss always did say that Cassaday was the best cinematographer he ever worked with, even though he wasn't actually behind a camera. ...although it's closer to 4 years than 2 years. Joss can't turn comics in on time.

Another past-Whedon-project connection: not-Victor's suite was at the Hyperion Hotel in L.A.
Old 12-20-09, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner

Another past-Whedon-project connection: not-Victor's suite was at the Hyperion Hotel in L.A.

I THOUGHT that's what was said, but I just chalked it up to an active imagination.

I also thought at the end, when Echo was like we need one more soldier, she was gonna say Alpha, which would've been an awesome cliffhanger!
Old 12-20-09, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm really going to miss this show. It's a shame another network (SciFi, for example) couldn't pick it up. All of these recent episodes are examples of just how great television can be.

Originally Posted by James Lafleur
I THOUGHT that's what was said, but I just chalked it up to an active imagination.

I also thought at the end, when Echo was like we need one more soldier, she was gonna say Alpha, which would've been an awesome cliffhanger!
I thought she was going to say they needed Alpha too. That would've been really great.
Old 12-20-09, 05:15 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by kstublen
I'm really going to miss this show. It's a shame another network (SciFi, for example) couldn't pick it up. All of these recent episodes are examples of just how great television can be.
lets not get too carried way... keep in mind that the reason why these episodes are pretty good is because they were forced to wrap things up at breakneck speed... if this show was renewed for a few additional seasons, all of the stuff we all like would have been spread out, slower paced, and likely would not have been as entertaining.
Old 12-20-09, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I really think they should have started in the first season with Echo retaining her personalities. That is the reason it is finally getting better. The idea that she can access these different personalities at will is making her a much more interesting character now.

It would have been great if at the end of the pilot episode, we saw her scribbled notes on the roof of her sleeping pod- that would have been the twist that she was retaining these memories. We could have gotten to where we are a lot quicker.
that would have been ideal.
Old 12-20-09, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Here's an interesting thought about continuity and Epitaph One:

After last week's episodes, I thought the Echo's new abilities was revealed a little too quickly to the Dollhouse; in Epitaph One, there's a scene where Echo is imprinted by Topher and sent on a regular mission like she's a normal Doll, then Echo and Ballard have a secret conversation in the elevator. I was wondering how they were going to resolve this apparent discrepancy.

Now, after this episode, it looks like that "memory" is actually part of Echo's dreamworld in The Attic. So they've officially ret-conned that part of Epitaph One as not having happened, at least not in the "real-world."

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.