Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

SNL 12/12/09 - H: Taylor Lautner - MG: Bon Jovi

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who enjoyed tonight's episode hosted by Taylor Lautner?
I thought it was a pretty good show!
7.69%
I thought it stunk.
61.54%
Par for the course again this season.
19.23%
Last week's show was hard to beat.
11.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-09, 10:36 PM

Received 799 Likes on 522 Posts

I wonder how many Twi-hards will watch. I know that my wife is interested in watching for a Twilight parady... but I doubt they can surpass Firelight.

... and I'm stoked for Bon Jovi to perform. I wonder if Jon Bovi will hit the stage too.

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://widgets.nbc.com/o/4727a250e66f9723/4b231c58b08985ea/4741e3c5156499a7/d8bedc55/-cpid/c68dd00efb8cad04" id="W4727a250e66f97234b231c58b08985ea" width="384" height="283"><param name="movie" value="http://widgets.nbc.com/o/4727a250e66f9723/4b231c58b08985ea/4741e3c5156499a7/d8bedc55/-cpid/c68dd00efb8cad04" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="allowNetworking" value="all" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /></object>

Here's the shows so far this season:

<fieldset style="width: 500px; margin: 0px auto; font-size: smaller;"><legend>SNL Season 35</legend>
SNL 09/26/09 - H: Megan Fox - MG: U2
SNL 10/03/09 - H: Ryan Reynolds - MG: Lady Gaga
SNL 10/10/09 - H: Drew Barrymore - MG: Regina Spektor
SNL 10/17/09 - H: Gerard Butler - MG: Shakira
SNL 11/07/09 - H & MG: Taylor Swift
SNL 11/14/09 - H: January Jones - MG: Black Eyed Peas
SNL 11/21/09 - H: Joseph Gordon Levitt - MG: Dave Matthews Band
SNL 12/05/09 - H: Blake Lively - MG: Rihanna
SNL 12/19/09 - H: James Franco - MG: Muse</fieldset>
Old 12-11-09, 11:21 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: SNL 12/12/09 - H: Taylor Lautner - MG: Bon Jovi

Ill be watching with a big bon - err, bowl of popcorn
Old 12-12-09, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Maybe we will see a guest appearance by the other Taylor?
Old 12-12-09, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Four of the last five episodes, the host has made me say, "WHO?"
Old 12-12-09, 09:24 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Maybe they'll have a "Shirtless Guy" show, with special guest Matthew McConaughey.
Old 12-12-09, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

I missed most, but is it sad that "Ding dong router netflix whaaa?" made me laugh?
Old 12-13-09, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Even the good shows this season were hardly memorable, but this one was hard to even pay attention to. It seems every week when Pardo announces the host I think to myself "Who the fuck is that?"
Old 12-13-09, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Four of the last five episodes, the host has made me say, "WHO?"
Oh stop it. You don't have to like him, cause I certainly don't. But this New Moon shit has been absolutely everywhere, and unless you live under a rock, you know who this dude is... so stop with the cool guy schtick.
Old 12-13-09, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush
Oh stop it. You don't have to like him, cause I certainly don't. But this New Moon shit has been absolutely everywhere, and unless you live under a rock, you know who this dude is... so stop with the cool guy schtick.
Never saw either one of the movies, and I don't read US Weekly or watch ET, so why is it so difficult to believe that I have no idea who he is? Just because the New Moon shit is absolutely everywhere doesn't mean that I pay attention to it. And why would not knowing who someone is make me think I'm cool?
Old 12-13-09, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,096 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Never saw either one of the movies, and I don't read US Weekly or watch ET, so why is it so difficult to believe that I have no idea who he is? Just because the New Moon shit is absolutely everywhere doesn't mean that I pay attention to it. And why would not knowing who someone is make me think I'm cool?
I am surprised that anyone who pays attention to movies and TV enough to be posting at this forum would not recognize Taylor Lautner.
Even if they didn't know his name, I would expect that they would know who his is once they saw him.

That "New Moon shit" is in just about every general interest magazine published [from The National Enquirer to Time and everything in between] and the cast is on the cover of most of them.
The cast has appeared on every talk show [daytime and late night].
Once the movie opened to huge box office, their were New Moon stories all over the news.
There was even a New Moon joke on this week's episode of The Office.

As Gob would say, "C'mon!"
Old 12-13-09, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush
I had no idea who he was, in fact, when I first read the name of the host a few weeks ago, I said to myself "who is she?"

They're going for a far younger pool of celebrities these days, and this season has had many people who have either not been in the spotlight very long or haven't done much since they've been there. So I don't think it's too much of a stretch to not know who these people are.

That being said, I thought Taylor Swift and Blake Lively both did great jobs hosting, and Twilight boy has been OK.
Old 12-13-09, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awful episode.
Old 12-13-09, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 843 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
I am surprised that anyone who pays attention to movies and TV enough to be posting at this forum would not recognize Taylor Lautner.
Even if they didn't know his name, I would expect that they would know who his is once they saw him.
I watch movies and HBO/Showtime shows (rarely NBC/CBS, etc) and I even saw Twilight a few months ago (unfortunately) and I didn't know who this Taylor guy was even after seeing him. I saw Twilight mentioned and then made the connection. Hell, I never heard of Taylor Swift until that Kanye incident - and even then I don't know any of her songs. I'm assuming she sings country and won American Idol.

Blake Lively I only know from the movie "Accepted" because I went out of my way to find out who that nice hot young piece of ass was.

Anyways, I don't think it's hard to believe that someone's not heard of these people - even if they do watch movies and TV. I'm pretty out of touch with what the younger audience watches and listens to. I keep hearing about Lady Ga-Ga, but I don't think I can point out one of her songs if it was played.
Old 12-13-09, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

That "New Moon shit" is in just about every general interest magazine published [from The National Enquirer to Time and everything in between] and the cast is on the cover of most of them.
Don't look at a one of them. Haven't found magazines relavent for many years.
The cast has appeared on every talk show [daytime and late night].
Don't watch a one of them except the rare night time one, and would have immediately surfed if he was on anyway.
Once the movie opened to huge box office, their were New Moon stories all over the news.
Heard of the movie, mostly due to my daughter, but haven't seen it or the other, and have no interest in it whatsoever.
There was even a New Moon joke on this week's episode of The Office.
I guess I missed that one completely, just like I was clueless on the wedding dance youtube joke.

I know there are vampires and a wolfman (I think) in the movies, and assume he must be one of them, but never head of this guy or recognized him in the slightest. Naturally, I assume most of the sketches he was in referenced the movie in some way which is probably why I didn't laugh at anything he was in. I'm really not oblivious to pop culture, but have a complete blind spot when it comes to preteen girl idols.
Old 12-13-09, 10:06 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Well I only listen to polkas and ragtime, and I think it's absolutely criminal that SNL had this "Bon Jovi" person on. I have never heard of him and all SNL guests must be someone with whom I am familiar!

BTW, I turned the show off after Weekend Update ... did they do their stupid John Bovi bit last night?
Old 12-13-09, 10:12 AM
Banned

SNL 09/26/09 - H: Megan Fox - MG: U2
SNL 10/03/09 - H: Ryan Reynolds - MG: Lady Gaga
SNL 10/10/09 - H: Drew Barrymore - MG: Regina Spektor
SNL 10/17/09 - H: Gerard Butler - MG: Shakira
SNL 11/07/09 - H & MG: Taylor Swift
SNL 11/14/09 - H: January Jones - MG: Black Eyed Peas
SNL 11/21/09 - H: Joseph Gordon Levitt - MG: Dave Matthews Band
SNL 12/05/09 - H: Blake Lively - MG: Rihanna
SNL 12/19/09 - H: James Franco - MG: Muse
Names in bold I'd never heard of until watching these episodes of SNL.
Names in bold italic I'd heard of but never heard their music until SNL.
I'm in my 40's and watch TV and use the internet everyday. I skip a lot of things while watching TV and avoid tons of overexposed coverage but a long time ago I decided to watch all the SNL's from beginning to end, including the music...unless someone starts rapping.
Old 12-13-09, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by cracksky
Names in bold I'd never heard of until watching these episodes of SNL.
Names in bold italic I'd heard of but never heard their music until SNL.
I'm in my 40's and watch TV and use the internet everyday. I skip a lot of things while watching TV and avoid tons of overexposed coverage but a long time ago I decided to watch all the SNL's from beginning to end, including the music...unless someone starts rapping.
I agree with your list, but would also add Muse, Ryan Reynolds, and Gerard Butler but to the never heard of list (though I did see 300, I just didn't know he was in it until during the show, and even then not who he was in the the movie). And it isn't like this is usually the case, or that it even bothers me all that much. But it seems extremely disproportionate this season and really detracts from a lot of the show since the "in" jokes involving the host's life fall completely flat for me.

I mean, what the hell is Christopher Walken doing that's so important?
Old 12-13-09, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't know who this guy was based on just his name but once I saw his face and the first Twilight reference was tossed out there I got it. And, based on his performance in this show, I have to say I am rather glad I haven't seen any movie with him in it.

It was a really bad episode. I can't think of one skit that really worked in this one.
Old 12-13-09, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts

All the host complaining meakes me year for the old SNL days when the host hosted and did not get in sketches
Old 12-13-09, 12:45 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

The funniest part of this show for me was a real commercial for this website:

http://www.mysack.com/
Old 12-13-09, 01:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
I agree with your list, but would also add Muse, Ryan Reynolds, and Gerard Butler but to the never heard of list (though I did see 300, I just didn't know he was in it until during the show, and even then not who he was in the the movie). And it isn't like this is usually the case, or that it even bothers me all that much. But it seems extremely disproportionate this season and really detracts from a lot of the show since the "in" jokes involving the host's life fall completely flat for me.
I never saw 300 either (but I got the jokes). In fact, my only point of reference for Butler was his recent appearance on Craig Ferguson. I've only heard a song or two from Muse because they've been compared to Queen and that sparked my interest as a long-time fan of Queen (didn't hear enough to compare).

Lorne definitely seems to be going for the younger audience this year.
Old 12-13-09, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just the fact that people are defending so fiercely the idea that they don't know who Taylor Lautner is, pretty much tells me they do.
Old 12-13-09, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF
Well I only listen to polkas and ragtime, and I think it's absolutely criminal that SNL had this "Bon Jovi" person on. I have never heard of him and all SNL guests must be someone with whom I am familiar!
Old 12-13-09, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It is sort of funny to read these SNL thread, and they usually do devolve into people defending their lack of pop cultural awareness when SNL has a history of mocking such pop cultural fodder throughout its 35 years. It seems like SNL is leaving some of these people behind.
Old 12-13-09, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I had no idea who Taylor Lautner was. Never saw Twilight. I think I remember seeing a clip on TV of some ugly weird dude with long hair, so I guess I recognized him when he came out.

I had no idea who Gerard Butler was either, never saw 300.

I recognized the name Ryan Reynolds because I remember reading Scarlett Johanson married him, but I have no idea what movies he has been.

(I have not seen many movies since 2004 when my son was born.)

Joseph Gordon Levitt was a real head-scratcher until he mentioned he was the kid in Third Rock and I was like "whoa".

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.