Monk -- Series Finale --"Mr. Monk and The End" -- Starts 11/27/09

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-09, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Monk -- Series Finale --"Mr. Monk and The End" -- Starts 11/27/09

Originally Posted by mraw
No one is crazy enough to hire Randy as Chief of Police. I wasn't too crazy about this finale. It seems far fetched that a man would go so far as to use a car bomb to kill a woman over having a baby. It'd be different had she been shot or stabbed, but the outcome was a bit much.

Trudy's behavior at the start of part 1 of the finale made it seem like she was about to have a nervous breakdown. She made the video because after 15 years passed, the judge contacted her and sounded odd, so instead of telling someone, she decided to show up and get murdered (which it looks as if she knew good and well she was going to be killed), only to leave Adrian a gift of a video telling the truth and that the judge probably killed her. Damn, why couldn't she have told him that anyway? Really? You'd rather die than tell your husband that you had a baby, only to tell him on a video.

I liked the episodes that insinuated that she stumbled upon a conspiracy as a reporter and was killed because of that. This resolution reduces her murder to one of the stupid ones that take place in many episodes. In "Mr. Monk Goes Back to School", a teacher was killed by her colleague because she was pregnant.

I'm on the seventh book in the Monk novel series, and he's still chasing the six-fingered man all over the globe. I must have missed the season 7 finale, because I wondered where the six-fingered man fit into this finale as well.

When concluding a show like this, I wish the writers had composed the ending at the same time they wrote the beginning. The surrounding elements could've changed (Stottlemeyer, Disher and Natalie could've had stories written at the last minute), but Trudy's case should have been airtight from day one.

In the Badge episode, after years of longing to be back on the force, he quits. Why didn't the captain create a position for Monk where he'd be doing the same thing he'd been doing during the show, but as an official cop? I was hoping they'd do that, but oh well.

I guess this episode stands alone okay, but looking back at the start of the series, it's pretty lackluster.
Believe me, Randy is more than over-qualified for a job in Summit. Or any town in New Jersey. And Summit is a township I believe not a city and it does not look like that either.

As for the episode, I was very satisfied with it. Would love to see some films to go with the series.
Old 12-05-09, 10:05 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Kind of disappointed that we didn't see his brothers or Sharona.
Old 12-05-09, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor
Kind of disappointed that we didn't see his brothers or Sharona.
I agree. Especially with Sharona and Ambrose. Yes, she [Sharona] was on the phone throughout the episode with Randy, but it wasn't all that fulfilling. It makes no sense that they wouldn't come around with the presumption that Adrian had only a few days left to live. Sharona's episode aired a few weeks ago, and when she began taping that episode, I'm pretty sure that the writers and producers knew how it would end, so they could have taped a small scene with her at that time while they had her and edited it into the finale.

As for Randy, he's an idiot and isn't qualified to be a meter maid. That's one of the things about the show that drove me crazy. It isn't even believeable that he was a Lieutenant for the SFPD. When the show started he had to have been in his late twenties and he was smarter then, but it just went downhill from there. Had they tapered off the dumbness this season it would be different, but in part 1 of the finale he caused a riot in the train station by doing something dumb, and that just aired last week.

I will look forward to the possibility of TV movies (I expect one within the next two years), where the writers can come up with fresh, stand alone plots that don't stink up the place. I mean really, they've done 3 'twins' episodes.

Last edited by mraw; 12-05-09 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12-05-09, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

People that are calling Randy dumb are forgetting specifically the episode where Stottlemeyer was having back problems and Randy took over running the Police Station. He did a great job and things were running smoothly and crimes were getting solved. He lacks some common sense, but he is still very good at his job, as we saw specifically in that episode just mentioned and other episodes in general.
Old 12-05-09, 03:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trudy's wrapup was probably one of the weakest plots of the season. Was expecting A LOT more --- It would have been nice had they started gathering clues at the beginning of the season which culminated in a grand finale --- instead of pulling the preasent thing out of the air.

The ending was pretty good, with the kid. I thought maybe Monk was going to die and then he'd always be with Trudy (until I saw the previews from last week).

I'm sure there will be "specials" down the road. Even with the weakest epsisodes, the writing on Monk has always been one of the best (IMO) of the cop shows. USA"s emphasis on characters wll always get me to try their shows. Cop shows are the one thing on the regular networks I always avoid.

It was time for Monk to go. At least we'eve got Psych and White Collar now.
Old 12-05-09, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I was dissapointed because of logical holes. Maybe I missed something and you guys can answer but:

So Trudy thought the baby had died, never saw a body and it showed up at an orphanage. WHY? Did the midwife take it? Was the judge after it?

Why would the judge kill trudy and NOT kill monk? As far as he knew she TOLD monk everyhting. He should be killed. Further questions come out depending on the answer to #1.

Wasnt it said that the bomb was intended for Monk?

The daughter still being alive was too gimmicky. And if I was her I would have been freaked out by his attention.

Oh and I hate Mallora Harding, or however the fuck you spell it.
Old 12-05-09, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Loved the final.

The last show I would say was a better wrap for a series was "Mary Tyler Moore", other than that I cannot name a better series final. "M.A.S.H." was no where nears as good, nor was "Seinfeld" (which may have been the worse ever for a big show).

Friends was a good ending, but I have a better connection to Monk characters than any other show.
Old 12-05-09, 05:25 PM
Banned

I very much liked Tony Shalhoub's performance in these last two episodes. Very worthy of an Emmy. Didn't care for the writing. Not up to the standards of Levinson/Link.
Old 12-05-09, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by cracksky
I very much liked Tony Shalhoub's performance in these last two episodes. Very worthy of an Emmy. Didn't care for the writing. Not up to the standards of Levinson/Link.
Shalhoub always gives it his all.

I thought the finale was tolerable. Not good, but a decent wrap-up. If the quality of the last four seasons was similar to the quality exhibited in the episodes contained in seasons 1 through 4, this show would go down as a classic; instead, it's a show that I'll be happy to watch when I see it on, but I really won't think much of it or recommend it to many people.
Old 12-05-09, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So what are the chances of a movie?
Old 12-05-09, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by cracksky
Same here. I haven't watched the show in a while, but was pleased to see Shalhoub still shining as an actor, despite very pedestrian writing.
Old 12-05-09, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Blu Man
So what are the chances of a movie?
IIRC, the ratings for the show has been pretty good for USA Network and it has loyal support, so I imagine that we'll get a 90 minute movie in the next couple of years. Depending on how that goes, could be a yearly special or something.
Old 12-06-09, 03:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good not great ending. The true reason Trudy was killed was a little lackluster and I agree that Molly should have been a little put off by Monk's smothering. The ending Montage was good, almost as good as Seinfeld's that was set to "Time of my life" by Greenday. Over all it was satisfying to a fan of the show but the best ending EVER for a show has to be "Newheart". I'm smiling just thinking about it.

How are the novels to Monk? I've read some novels that were based on TV shows but was underwhelmed.
Old 12-06-09, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by pelenor
How are the novels to Monk? I've read some novels that were based on TV shows but was underwhelmed.
I love the novels. I'm currently on number 7 and they are better than the past few seasons of the show. They attempted to adapt the first novel into an episode (Mr. Monk and the Firehouse became Mr. Monk Can't See a Thing for tv) and it was terrible IMO. Lee Goldberg does a great job in writing these mysteries. O/T a Psych book series has started as well. The first novel received terrible reviews, but the second one got great reviews and that's where I'm starting with that series.

One thing I love about the Monk book series is
Spoiler:
Monk solves several crimes in each novel. They are usually smaller crimes and one big crime, of which usually some coincide with each other.
Old 12-06-09, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Agree w/most of the sentiment here. Randy as Police Chief? No way. Liked the very end though, kind of like NYPD Blue finale, another crime and life just goes on.
Old 12-07-09, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked the "aftermath," nice sendoff. But the episode, the Trudy thing was total crap. For reasons already mentioned. Too bad. Plot holes out the wazoo, disappointing reveal for who/why she was murdered, etc. I think the show has been pretty meh overall for years, but still entertaining somehow..I guess it's the characters I like.
Old 12-07-09, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

ive always really enjoyed monk.. although i cant say i watched all of the first couple seasons.. maybe through reruns i have by now..
i enjoyed the finale.. kindof closing everything up with a nice tidy bow
but the trudy killer stuff would have been better if they had stretched it out and puts parts of it into the whole season, rather than just dedicating the final 2 seasons to wrapping it up with some coincidences and back planted evidence.
the daughter part was interesting, in giving him something in his life.. but a chick might have been a better way to go.. definitly seemed to be a bit cheesy and overboard though.. but i guess thats always been a big part of the show.
Old 12-07-09, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

USA's long-running series Monk exited with a recording-breaking 9.5 million viewers, making it the most-watched hourlong series ever on basic cable.
http://www.tvguide.com/News/Monk-Ser...e-1012867.aspx

Old 12-30-09, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jadzia
Something that always struck me, was at the beginning of the show they seemed to say that the reason Monk got to be so weird and OCD was because of what happened to Trudy, which made sense. Then later on in the show, they showed he was like that even as a kid, and Trudy just sort of tolerated his quirks.
Just getting around to watching the last episodes of Monk and really enjoyed them. As for his OCD, Stottlemeyer mentioned in an episode that he always had a mild case of OCD but after Trudy died it sent him over the edge with it. An example could be the original visit to the clinic when he was trying to straighten the umbilical cords and making sure the stove was off before Trudy died. After her death, it went into overdrive.
Old 01-01-10, 10:26 PM

One of my favorite shows but the finale was very disappointing. I've held off watching it until now because I knew I'd be upset, but not for this reason. The final montage was all I needed; I don't know if any resolution would have been fitting of the Trudy aura. Not nearly the travesty character send off that something like "Rocky V" was, but I'll be holding my breath waiting for a "Rocky Balboa" esque proper movie special or something. I will really miss these characters.
Old 01-02-10, 02:04 AM
Banned

I was kinda hoping that the final shot of the series would be a slow camera move down Monk's body to reveal that he, in fact, has no belly button.
Old 03-23-10, 10:45 PM

My wife and I just watched the final two episodes last night. We both thought they did a pretty good job, could have been better.

They gave away the identify of Trudy's killer pretty quickly, it wasn't to hard to identify who was talking over the phone in the dark. Somehow, the resolution of that part of the plot didn't have the gravitas it needed.

I like the idea that Trudy had a daughter for two reasons: 1) The idealized Trudy became human and more approachable; and 2) What better way for Monk to move on, than with Trudy's daughter?

I would have liked to have that revelation made at the very end and we never see her, but know Monk will meet her. Let us imagine what their meeting and life as father and daughter might be.

I agree that Monk was smothering her and she has just met him. She couldn't understand him fully yet. It would have been reasonable for her to blow her top. Monk had been making progress, I think he could have been portrayed as less Monk-like with her.

Making Randy a chief of police was a bit of a stretch. Although he had been making progress lately, becoming less of an idiot. He had subdued the killers in the camping episode recently. I always thought his character was the worst written and least believable.

A question comes to mind. Trudy's daughter mentioned he was broke. I thought Monk was at least financially comfortable and was cheapskate because that's what he was, not out of necessity.

I do hope they make a movie in a couple of years.
Old 03-03-13, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just watched Season 2 - Mr Monk and the Old Man

It must have been the 1st time I have watched this since the Final of Monk.

Very interesting how...

Captain Leland Stottlemeyer solved his very old case that caused him to dought himself by:
-Listening to an old Video tape
-If he had listened to the tape a long time ago he would have solved the case immediately
-His wife made the tape
-The victim died in a car
-At the end they had the killer stand there while they dug up something out of the ground to prove who the murderer was
-Other people died to cover up the 1st murder
-Killer worked for the Goverment

All of the above was in the Final Show of Monk and is how they solved Trudy's murder.
Old 05-11-19, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Sorry for the bump.

Finished off the series and I'm disappointed about the way it wrapped up. It took me longer to finish off this series as the last couple of seasons were a drag. They made the character of Monk just mean and petty especially to Natalie. It was quite annoying.

Then they wrap up the show with this out of character behaviour from Trudy to explain why she was killed. I didn't buy it.

I love Alona Tal ever since she appeared in Veronica Mars so I felt sorry for her, that she wasn't given much to do in her role by the writers.

The montage was really nice. Didn't really care about Randy becoming the Police Chief and getting together with Sharona. Randy became like a real life Homer Simpson character.

I will miss Natalie and the Captain.

Originally Posted by TheMovieman

Kind of off-topic, but at first it was strange replacing Sharona with Natalie -- two different personalities -- but when she returned in that one episode recently, it made me appreciate Natalie even more...
Originally Posted by Arthur Dent
I feel the same way regarding Natalie. I didn't like Sharona's return at all; I had really looked forward to it, too.
Originally Posted by TheBigDave
I thought I'd miss Sharona. But I ended up preferring Natalie. Even though the writing was sharper during the Sharona seasons, the Natalie character has been a better fit.
The episode that she came back made me realize how annoying the character/actress was. I did not miss her at all and made me appreciate Natalie even more even though the writing, as some of you stated, was weaker in the later seasons.