Reload this Page >

Monk -- Series Finale --"Mr. Monk and The End" -- Starts 11/27/09

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Monk -- Series Finale --"Mr. Monk and The End" -- Starts 11/27/09

Old 11-30-09, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Monk -- Series Finale --"Mr. Monk and The End" -- Starts 11/27/09

They had a marathon Sunday, and I watched the pilot. Seems like not a lot of continuity. Beginning of the finale made it sound like Monk and Stottlemeyer were basically partners and buddies back in the day. Pilot makes it sound like they never got along back then and Stott. was just his "shift commander." Also the finale flashback it seemed like the Captain would have known Trudy well. Pilot made it sound otherwise. I think there was some other stuff but can't think of it now. Not that it matters too much I guess.
Old 11-30-09, 10:32 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Shady12 View Post
They had a marathon Sunday, and I watched the pilot. Seems like not a lot of continuity.
I know. There is disorder and confusion everywhere. No one seems to care, but I do.
Old 11-30-09, 11:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shady12 View Post
They had a marathon Sunday, and I watched the pilot. Seems like not a lot of continuity.
Something that always struck me, was at the beginning of the show they seemed to say that the reason Monk got to be so weird and OCD was because of what happened to Trudy, which made sense. Then later on in the show, they showed he was like that even as a kid, and Trudy just sort of tolerated his quirks.
Old 12-01-09, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jadzia View Post
Something that always struck me, was at the beginning of the show they seemed to say that the reason Monk got to be so weird and OCD was because of what happened to Trudy, which made sense. Then later on in the show, they showed he was like that even as a kid, and Trudy just sort of tolerated his quirks.
Yeah..I bet we could watch a lot of random episodes and see things that didn't fit with anything else..Oh well. Even with this, and with the show not being up to previous standards the last few years..I still have liked it enough to keep up, not sure why?!
Old 12-01-09, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Are they airing any kind of marathon with this season episodes before the finale?
My mom wanted to see the one where the captain got married and Monk was the best man.
Another for Natalie. Been a fan since Boston Common & Two Guys, a Girl, and a Pizza Place. Hard to believe she's 43.
Old 12-04-09, 02:42 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 360 Likes on 249 Posts

All day marathon today, showing the Trudy mythology episodes, ends with the two-part finale starting at 8pm.
Old 12-04-09, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

So, same thread?

I am genuinely saddened to see this show ending for good.
Old 12-04-09, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by uteotw View Post
So, same thread?

I am genuinely saddened to see this show ending for good.
"so same thread."
what do you mean bu that?

anyway anyone watching these today and picking out any of the clues?
Old 12-04-09, 04:53 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 360 Likes on 249 Posts

I'm watching them, but fell behind. Would just continue to watch them in order, but the family is getting together at 8 to watch the last two.

Have always loved this show, obviously, and other than a few mediocre episodes per season lately, I think it's maintained a fairly high level of quality. Here's hoping that it goes out on a really incredible note.
Old 12-04-09, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Have always loved this show, obviously, and other than a few mediocre episodes per season lately, I think it's maintained a fairly high level of quality. Here's hoping that it goes out on a really incredible note.
I think this season has been the strongest one we've had for a few years; it's certainly better than last season, which I just chalk up to the writers' strike.
Old 12-04-09, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Monk throwing down, I like it.
Old 12-04-09, 10:23 PM
Banned

Loved the finale. So sad to see Monk go.
Old 12-04-09, 10:28 PM

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but while I've seen every episode, I watched them live and have never really revisited any, so I just can't remember...
Spoiler:
Did we get resolution on the six-fingered man? I remember the episode in NYC where Monk semi-tortures the guy in the hospital, but if I recall correctly, wasn't that the guy who built the bomb rather than the man with six fingers?
Old 12-04-09, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 153 Likes on 131 Posts

I thought it was a well done finale. Does a good job wrapping up the main characters while leaving open the possibility of TV movies in the future, but if that doesn't happen, still some closure.
Old 12-04-09, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by yourlocalcinema View Post
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but while I've seen every episode, I watched them live and have never really revisited any, so I just can't remember...
Spoiler:
Did we get resolution on the six-fingered man? I remember the episode in NYC where Monk semi-tortures the guy in the hospital, but if I recall correctly, wasn't that the guy who built the bomb rather than the man with six fingers?

He was
Spoiler:
killed in the season 7 finale.
Old 12-04-09, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow. Did anyone else get a little teary eyed during the montage at the end. So sad for Monk to be over.
Old 12-04-09, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 153 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Blu Man View Post
Wow. Did anyone else get a little teary eyed during the montage at the end. So sad for Monk to be over.
Got close. Damn that Randy Newman and his on-the-nose song!
Old 12-04-09, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by whotony View Post
He was
Spoiler:
killed in the season 7 finale.
Ahh, yes, thank you. Just read the summary for that episode and I remember now. Jeez, I feel kind of bad for not being invested enough to remember that.

In any case, I actually really enjoyed this finale.
Spoiler:
I think the daughter sort of came out of nowhere, and as someone mentioned earlier in the thread it's kind of frustrating that Monk was sitting on the evidence the whole time, but it was great seeing Monk so ragged and angry, then ultimately so put-together, and I thought the montage at the end was really touching.
Old 12-05-09, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Enjoyed the finale, great wrap-up for a great series. I like a happy ending, with Monk still on the job and ready to live. Despite the fact that fucking Entertainment Weekly ruined the daughter surprise last week.

The Randy sendoff seemed almost like a possibility of a new series.

I was actually afraid for a second that when Monk & Natalie were called for the case at the end, that the victim was going to be Molly.
Old 12-05-09, 12:38 AM

No one is crazy enough to hire Randy as Chief of Police. I wasn't too crazy about this finale. It seems far fetched that a man would go so far as to use a car bomb to kill a woman over having a baby. It'd be different had she been shot or stabbed, but the outcome was a bit much.

Trudy's behavior at the start of part 1 of the finale made it seem like she was about to have a nervous breakdown. She made the video because after 15 years passed, the judge contacted her and sounded odd, so instead of telling someone, she decided to show up and get murdered (which it looks as if she knew good and well she was going to be killed), only to leave Adrian a gift of a video telling the truth and that the judge probably killed her. Damn, why couldn't she have told him that anyway? Really? You'd rather die than tell your husband that you had a baby, only to tell him on a video.

I liked the episodes that insinuated that she stumbled upon a conspiracy as a reporter and was killed because of that. This resolution reduces her murder to one of the stupid ones that take place in many episodes. In "Mr. Monk Goes Back to School", a teacher was killed by her colleague because she was pregnant.

I'm on the seventh book in the Monk novel series, and he's still chasing the six-fingered man all over the globe. I must have missed the season 7 finale, because I wondered where the six-fingered man fit into this finale as well.

When concluding a show like this, I wish the writers had composed the ending at the same time they wrote the beginning. The surrounding elements could've changed (Stottlemeyer, Disher and Natalie could've had stories written at the last minute), but Trudy's case should have been airtight from day one.

In the Badge episode, after years of longing to be back on the force, he quits. Why didn't the captain create a position for Monk where he'd be doing the same thing he'd been doing during the show, but as an official cop? I was hoping they'd do that, but oh well.

I guess this episode stands alone okay, but looking back at the start of the series, it's pretty lackluster.

Last edited by mraw; 12-05-09 at 02:57 AM.
Old 12-05-09, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by mraw View Post
She made the video because after 15 years passed, the judge contacted her and sounded odd, so instead of telling someone, she decided to show up and get murdered (which it looks as if she knew good and well she was going to be killed), only to leave Adrian a gift of a video telling the truth and that the judge probably killed her. Damn, why couldn't she have told him that anyway? Really? You'd rather die than tell your husband that you had a baby, only to tell him on a video.
Word. If someone wanted to meet with me and I suspected they wanted to kill me? I wouldn't go to the meeting!

I was surprised that Molly wasn't creeped out a little by Monk's stalkerish behavior towards her. And after they had already established this deep relationship, THEN she asks him what her mother was like? Wouldn't that have been like the first thing she asked him???
Old 12-05-09, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^Pretty much agree with mraw's post - the writing for the finale should have been sharper. And how did Randy get a police chief job without a reference from Stottlemeyer (his boss for the last 8+ years)?

Still, I enjoyed the finale and like that Monk has a "daughter." Looking forward to future Monk TV movies.
Old 12-05-09, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town

Originally Posted by mraw View Post
No one is crazy enough to hire Randy as Chief of Police. I wasn't too crazy about this finale.
What really killed that for me was that the sign said City of Summit. A town or a boro hiring him, I could almost see, but definitely not a "city".

I got a very Quantum Leap finale feeling from the de noue ment.......

Last edited by Jobronie; 12-05-09 at 07:14 AM.
Old 12-05-09, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jobronie View Post
What really killed that for me was that the sign said City of Summit. A town or a boro hiring him, I could almost see, but definitely not a "city".

I got a very Quantum Leap finale feeling from the de noue ment.......
Well, they had a story in the local paper here the other day, and the head writer of the show lives in Summit, so that is probably why they used that as the place he got the job.
Old 12-05-09, 08:06 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

In spite of all the misses mentioned in the thread, I still walk away happy with the series. I admit when she mentioned heading to Toronto (?) for the film festival I checked the clock to see how much time was left for the episode. I just "knew" something bad was going to happen. Glad the writers did not go there.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.