Search this Thread

Old 11-18-09, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Friday Night Lights -- "A Sort of Homecoming" -- 11/18/09

Friday Night Lights

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

The boosters go after Tami; Eric learns about East Dillon's history during homecoming; Jess has two suitors in Landry and Vince; Julie and Devin go to a gay bar; and Matt and Riggins go hunting.

Looking forward to it as usual. Knew they were setting something up between Landry and Jess.
Old 11-18-09, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Friday Night Lights -- "A Sort of Homecoming" -- 11/18/09

It was obvious they were setting up something with Lance and Jess the moment he backed into her bike.
Old 11-18-09, 09:26 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Buddy's here!"

Great episode. Matt's dad dying didn't really hit me as hard as it might have if we knew him better, but obviously it's going to push him over the edge to leave Dillon.

Where's Lyla again? School, but where? Was she given a farewell?
Old 11-18-09, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nice little twist w/ Matt's Dad dying.. and not Grandma. I don't see how this is going to change anything for him. His father was MIA for the past 4 seasons.. he took 100% care of his grandmother and now instead of his father being in Iraq, he's dead. I don't see what's changed.
Unless it just opens his eyes and he realizes that he needs to do something w/ his life or he's going to be stuck in Dillon long after Grandma is dead and Julie is gone.
Old 11-18-09, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Septemberbaby
Nice little twist w/ Matt's Dad dying.. and not Grandma. I don't see how this is going to change anything for him. His father was MIA for the past 4 seasons.. he took 100% care of his grandmother and now instead of his father being in Iraq, he's dead. I don't see what's changed.
Unless it just opens his eyes and he realizes that he needs to do something w/ his life or he's going to be stuck in Dillon long after Grandma is dead and Julie is gone.
I agree with you I think it will sort of a be a wake up call for Matt to leave Dillon. I really thought that Grandma Lorraine was going to die.
Old 11-19-09, 10:04 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

I read the thread before I saw the episode...damn.

I assume Matt will come into some sort of windfall of cash for him serving, correct?
Old 11-19-09, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I read the thread before I saw the episode...damn.

I assume Matt will come into some sort of windfall of cash for him serving, correct?

Was I supposed to put that in spoiler tags? I thought once the episode aired it's not necessary.

And yes, he'll now have money.. but he'll still have to deal w/ the grandmother situation. Maybe he'll move her with him?
Old 11-19-09, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fantastic ep., if a little predictable.

Loved the Matt/Riggins "reunion" at the pizza joint. And when the girl sitting behind Landry on the way to the party said, "Touch his hair. It feels like grass." Nice moment when Buddy showed up at the dinner. And then the spirit of the rally. And the coach at the gay bar. So many wonderful subtle moments on this show.
Old 11-19-09, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good episode focusing on interpersonal relationships between many characters (but without feeling all that crowded). For an episode full of little moments, it's a case of the sum turning into something better than the parts.
Old 11-20-09, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great episode. Loved the gay bar scene with Stan. It's early but I have a feeling that that dude is gonna go down as one of my favorite supporting characters on a TV show.
Old 11-20-09, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Would people really be this hard on a principal doing her job? Maybe if she had done this to the starting quarterback or something, but all this commotion and vandalism over an underclassman who hasn't really even proven himself on the field? Bull & Shit.

Furthermore, Matt is the State winning quarterback of this small town - people would be handing him shit left and right, and he would be doing far, far better than a pizza delivery boy.
Old 11-20-09, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by slop101
Would people really be this hard on a principal doing her job? Maybe if she had done this to the starting quarterback or something, but all this commotion and vandalism over an underclassman who hasn't really even proven himself on the field? Bull & Shit.

Furthermore, Matt is the State winning quarterback of this small town - people would be handing him shit left and right, and he would be doing far, far better than a pizza delivery boy.
In some small towns people will be hard on a principal or teacher for doing their jobs instead of pulling strings for athletes and sports. Something similar happened in the town I grew up in but it was about money. I agree the whole thing about everyone mad about Luke going to East Dillon is stupid. He is only an underclassman. J.D. is probably the one who vandalized Tami's car.
Old 11-20-09, 04:10 PM

I also wonder how it long it will be before Stan gets outed.
Old 11-20-09, 08:10 PM

i hope devin and that girl hookup!
thats the one thing that could've made this episode better.really, i'm not a pervery. i just really like devin's character and want to see her get a happy ending. and that girl she was hitting seems like just the one to give it to her. rawr!
Old 11-21-09, 01:16 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

@ Landry having his band's music playing when he went to pick up the girls.

I was expecting it to be Matt's Grandma who died as well

So Luke and Vince are the new Riggins and Smash
Old 11-21-09, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Good point. Considering how revered Panther alums are, it's a little silly to have Matt working at the town's pizza joint. (And Riggins sleeping in a trailer in someone's backyard.)
Old 11-21-09, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TimeandTide
Good point. Considering how revered Panther alums are, it's a little silly to have Matt working at the town's pizza joint. (And Riggins sleeping in a trailer in someone's backyard.)
Why would you think that? Billy Riggins won a state championship, and he wasn't exactly in a great job/financial situation either (until the whole copper wire/flipping house bit).
Old 11-21-09, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think Dillon is more of a "what have you done for me lately" type town.
Riggins and Matt won that championship 2-3 yrs ago.
Although, it would be amusing to see Riggins selling cars at Buddy's car dealership!
Old 11-21-09, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

I think Dillon is more of a "what have you done for me lately" type town.
Riggins and Matt won that championship 2-3 yrs ago.
Although, it would be amusing to see Riggins selling cars at Buddy's car dealership!
I figure if there was a Texas town the size of Dillon that had a state title and state runner-up 2 out of 3 years, the coach (and stars) would be treated like a god, particularly a coach who gave up a major college assistant coaching gig.
Old 11-21-09, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well.. if they had them working in primo jobs, they wouldn't need a storyline.
We need angst.

Plus the economy is bad. No one is hiring.
Old 11-21-09, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Well.. if they had them working in primo jobs, they wouldn't need a storyline.
We need angst.

Plus the economy is bad. No one is hiring.
Angst is fine, but they've rammed the evil vs. good, rich vs. poor angle way too much this season. I can expect that from other shows but not this one.
Old 05-28-10, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk God

Bump this is the episode airing tonight on NBC. Remember guys, the show aired on Directv 1st run last Fall and now NBC has the rights. From what I recall, it was a pretty good episode.

Preview:

<object width="512" height="288"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/ybv6D2Ssp30rrZ3YpZsryA"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/ybv6D2Ssp30rrZ3YpZsryA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="512" height="288" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

I wish we could all watch these episodes fresh at the same time. It sucks that alot of us, including myself, already saw these episodes 6 months ago. I know some of you who don't have Directv probably watched these through alternative means as well.

I noticed that noone commented on the last 2 episode threads I bumped. I would like to hear some fresh opinions from those who are watching these for the 1st time.

Last edited by DJariya; 05-28-10 at 05:03 AM.
Old 05-28-10, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 422 Likes on 305 Posts

Good episode, Eric was trying to reach out at that booster dinner to all the former players. Then they immediatly think all of the challenges he has faced are race related because of the school. Eventually that coach will probably be outed after julie saw him in the gay bar. Some friends JD and his group of friends from the panthers were to Luke, running from the cops. I really thought Matt would be dealing with his Grandma in worse health this year, instead of his dad getting killed in action. I hope next week episode "The Son" is as good as everyone has said it is.
Old 05-28-10, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk God

^^ Yes, the Son is a damn good episode.
Old 05-28-10, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Really enjoying this season and I actually like the cast turnover.

Somebody help me out here though. I thought East Dillon had been open but didn't have a Football team but if the school was closed where did all the students go to school last year?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.