11.76%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Survivor: Samoa - 10/12/09

Old 11-13-09, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
Re: Survivor: Samoa - 10/12/09

Originally Posted by dino88
Yeah, she voted for Russell. There was no reason for her to show her allegiance to Foa Foa when her vote wouldn't have mattered either way. This way they (Foa Foa) still have someone on the inside (kind of...they don't even speak to Shambo) and Shambo still has Galu if the plan doesn't work with Foa Foa.
I hate that Galu has won practically every single challenge but is now is in danger of pissing away the game because they are dumb as hell in strategizing. Honestly, Galu is totally stupid for letting this weak team take over like that.

I am not sure what Shambo is up to as she voted Jaison last week when everyone else voted Erik. Her fake look of shock at tribal this week tells me she is with Foa Foa but she was out of the loop last week with everyone else unless she is the smartest player in the world and voted Jaison so she could try and get Erik's vote at the end.
Old 11-13-09, 05:32 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Is this the 2nd week now that they have replaced the usual "time to vote" music? Last week I was upset they changed it but this week it totally made tribal even better. Like "war" music or something, you knew something huge was happening. As Jeff said in his blog, I also loved Galu's faces as they were waiting to see who would be voted out and then Kelly's initial reaction.
Old 11-13-09, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chowderhead
I hate that Galu has won practically every single challenge but is now is in danger of pissing away the game because they are dumb as hell in strategizing. Honestly, Galu is totally stupid for letting this weak team take over like that.
It's kind of unfair to use the word team in that context. As much as I'm not on the Russell bandwagon, he IS the team. While HE, personally, has done things that certainly make him worthy of being there, his fellow tribemates are pathetic. When the doc was told Russ had found another idol, he just kind of looked like, "great, now I can continue to do nothing." Jaison hasn't been good in a long time.

So, not only has Galu, by being so cocky and playing only one aspect of the game for the most part, suddenly found themselves in danger, but good, strong players are all now in jeopardy, while the weakest players in the game are in a stronger position while having totally done nothing to deserve it other than being lucky enough to be in Russell's trible and not making him mad earlier on so that he wouldn't have ordered THEM to be the ones booted at earlier tribals.

Russ would never have made the mistakes Galu made. They needed to befriend the blonde the second the tribes merged. The girls, in fact, should have had a plan (whether they ever carried it out or not is irrelevant) and approached her like the girls wanted to take out the guys and they wanted to keep her safe. It was a desperate time and they needed to try and play the game and not just think it would be handed to them be winning challenges. I think they could have gotten her to flip or, at the very least, trying to protect her spot in both tribes, she very well might have let it slip to the girls what Russell planned to do.

That's playing the game too and, so far, that part of the game is only being played well by Russell. Even he's said everyone else is dumb. I can't really disagree. He's found those idols because he's always playing ahead AND simply by using what he's seen on past seasons. It's not like he wandered into the woods and walked for hours and found it under a random rock. He just didn't sit on his butt, he thought back to where they've been hidden, and he used his smarts and common sense to go to the places he would expect it to be. No one else even made an effort.
Old 11-13-09, 06:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cracksky
Fantastic Tribal Council. They really should hide the idol better though. When I was a little kid a bunch of big kids hid a football somewhere in the neighborhood for us to find. We searched for hours, never finding it. It turned out to be at the top of a tree in a bird's nest. Clearly a cruel joke on us but that would be a challenge for the survivors if the idol was hidden way up in a tree somewhere. They'd have to climb it or shake it down. I would tie it to a branch so you'd have to climb.
I wonder though if the producers have to worry about any of them getting hurt finding the idol. If memory serves me correct, the idols have always been close to the ground.

Chris
Old 11-13-09, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
Plus, Russell was concerned at one point that they might split their votes and make it more difficult to ensure that he'd get enough votes. By having Shambo vote against him, he ensured he'd have enough votes while keeping her alliance with them hidden.
That's a great point!

Chris
Old 11-13-09, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by taa455
Actually it was Monica that brought up the idea that Russell might have found the idol. John was in agreement of the danger, but Dave pretty much dismissed it and said "we can't worry about that now". I was thinking Foa Foa should have gotten rid of Monica over Kelly. Obviously Monica is more strategic minded and seemingly a lot more intelligent than Kelly.
And hotter!

Chris
Old 11-13-09, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

If I was Russell this would be my play now:

Approach the rocket scientist guy because he would understand the math

1 Tell him you have Shambo so the vote will be 5-5

2 tell him all of Foa is willing to go to the rocks because they are playing with house money

3 Ask him if HE is willing to risk a 50% chance of coming out on the losing side of the rock pick, or swing to thier side and vote Laura for a 100% chance to be on the new dominant alliance

4 Ask him if he would rather be final 6 in a new alliance filled with people who cannot win challenges, or be final 5 in an aliance of people who constantly win challenges

It would totally work
Old 11-14-09, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
So, not only has Galu, by being so cocky and playing only one aspect of the game for the most part, suddenly found themselves in danger, but good, strong players are all now in jeopardy, while the weakest players in the game are in a stronger position while having totally done nothing to deserve it other than being lucky enough to be in Russell's trible and not making him mad earlier on so that he wouldn't have ordered THEM to be the ones booted at earlier tribals.
The same thing happened in Gabon. Look who won that season.
Old 11-14-09, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by neilo13
This was the most exciting Survivor episode I've seen in quite some time! I love how Dave mentioned the possibility of Russell finding the HII and the Galu alliance came to the "concensus" that this was not possible. While I probably would have done the same thing, the TC sure made for some great reactions. I'm also excited to see the HII be used as it was intended, not that any of the other uses (i.e. I have it, don't bother trying to vote for me) are bad, but it really does shake the game up when it's such a surprise.
John, not Dave, was the one who was afraid that Russell had the idol. "He found the first one without a frikkin clue!" Dave was the idiot who convinced everyone on Galu that it wasn't possible for Russell to have found the idol.

Go Russell!
Old 11-14-09, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Russell!

Originally Posted by Howie2000
They changed the rules after season 3 or 4 I believe that all tiebreakers before F4 are drawn by a random purple rock. In Pulau and All Stars they mentioned that on the dvd commentary. It makes sense because there have not been any ties before the final 4 round since then.

If you had a 5-5 tie scenario or 3-3 type scenario it would be about who is willing to force the tie and who will defect for safety.
Anyone remember the years when tiebreakers were decided by votes cast for you in previous councils? That made it strategic to find out what happened at the other tribe's councils.
Old 11-14-09, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's playing the game too and, so far, that part of the game is only being played well by Russell.
If someone like Brett, Monica ,Jaison, Natalie or Mick was playing the game well or playing badly how would we know one way or another.

The only storylines so far is Russell is playing hard,Laura is a b and Shambo is a crybaby who likes to feel sorry for herself.
Old 11-14-09, 03:39 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Some people have questioned whether they should have voted for Russell since he may have found the idol; however, if they didn't vote for him it would give him 3 extra days to find the idol if he hadn't found it, although we know in hindsight he did.
Old 11-14-09, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only storylines so far is Russell is playing hard,Laura is a b, Natalie and Monica look f'ing amazing in bikinis, and Shambo is a crybaby who likes to feel sorry for herself.
Fixed.
Old 11-14-09, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
4 Ask him if he would rather be final 6 in a new alliance filled with people who cannot win challenges, or be final 5 in an aliance of people who constantly win challenges
Not only can they not win challenges, but Russell could honestly tell him he would not hesitate to betray them in a second once it is down to the final six.
Old 11-15-09, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Awesome episode. I think it sucks that Jeff said the idol was back in play at tribal council though. I think him saying that might screw over Russell unless he can win the immunity challenge. I really want Laura gone. I can't believe she's won two immunitys in a row.
Old 11-15-09, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Russel is the man.
Old 11-15-09, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

At this point, whether he has it or not, Russel can imply or outright claim to have the idol at any time and they really have no choice but to believe him.
Old 11-16-09, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If someone like Brett, Monica ,Jaison, Natalie or Mick was playing the game well or playing badly how would we know one way or another.

The only storylines so far is Russell is playing hard,Laura is a b and Shambo is a crybaby who likes to feel sorry for herself.
I'm pretty convinced that this season has had quite a few players who have not played a good game and lie around a lot and others who seem to think that they're on vacation. But I totally agree with your points. This is why I have trouble liking Russell no matter how well he plays.

I don't totally blame the producers for focusing on a "character" like Russell and aside from the bluster, he has found 2 idols without clues. But when you spend so much time focusing on 1 or even 2 people it's just not as good of a show imho.

I can't remember a season where this far into the game, I have such very little insight on so many other of the players and one has to assume there are a few of them that are interesting enough to deserve more screen time.

I didn't like Laura, then I did-because I like people who win challenges, and now I'm on the fence. I hate people, after this many seasons of Survivor, who still get so personal about someone else outplaying/outthinking or just plain beating them to the punch.

Laura's comment about all hell is going to break loose was kind of like her stating she felt entitled and how dare Russell not let the game play out like she wanted it to.

Or maybe it was just clever editing. We'll see. Another part of me can't get behind Russell, because I think he might very well bring Shambo along with him and she's really the one person I can't stand this season the most.
Old 11-16-09, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I couldn't disagree with you more. My ideal final two would be Russell and Shambo.
Old 11-16-09, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by mrpayroll
I wonder though if the producers have to worry about any of them getting hurt finding the idol. If memory serves me correct, the idols have always been close to the ground.

Chris
I think monkey-man Ozzie found his up in a tree
Old 11-16-09, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't remember a season where this far into the game, I have such very little insight on so many other of the players and one has to assume there are a few of them that are interesting enough to deserve more screen time.
Seriously. Who the hell is Brett? He's had four lines the entire season.
Old 11-16-09, 10:24 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Merkin Muffley
Seriously. Who the hell is Brett? He's had four lines the entire season.
Or the doctor, whose name I don't even know.
Old 11-16-09, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Mick is playing the game exceptionally well. He has Russell to do his bidding and take all the heat.
Old 11-16-09, 01:35 PM

Sorry for my mis-remembering who brought up the possibility of Russell having HII #2.

As some others have stated, I agree that if Russell can get to the final 2 with anyone other than maybe Laura, he's got this in the bag.
I agree that the editing this season has been VERY Russell heavy, and I do enjoy the show more when many of the contestants get screen time. Kelly, for instance, had what, maybe 10 minutes the whole season? I know the editing controls our view of the "characters", but I also wonder how boring some of the contestants are.
Old 11-16-09, 06:17 PM

I hate to say I hate a person but I tremendously dislike Russell (Hantz).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.