DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The CSI Trilogy (Miami, NY, Las Vegas) --3-part episode -- 11/9, 11/11, 11/12/09 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/564498-csi-trilogy-miami-ny-las-vegas-3-part-episode-11-9-11-11-11-12-09-a.html)

Nick Martin 11-10-09 01:04 AM

Re: The CSI Trilogy (Miami, NY, Las Vegas) --3-part episode -- 11/9, 11/11, 11/12/09

Originally Posted by Boba Fett (Post 9826617)
What was with them using the intro music to "The Dark Knight?"

I heard it in the background and didn't realize it was CSI.

This is the second time they used it on Miami to open an episode. First time (don't remember what episode) it threw me off a bit as well.

NiCK Crush 11-10-09 03:10 AM

Re: The CSI Trilogy (Miami, NY, Las Vegas) --3-part episode -- 11/9, 11/11, 11/12/09

I don't really watch too much CSI... but this is a great idea

DJariya 11-10-09 03:56 AM

I thought it was a good opening episode to the 3-parter.

I had to laugh everytime Horatio kept calling Ray....."Dr. Ray" :lol:

The whole human trafficking storyline isn't entirely fresh as it's been done before in TV shows and movies. But, I think for the most part it worked in this episode. The butcher angle was a little over the top and adding that bear for a little comedy near the end was so unncessary.

I do have to say that every scene with Fishburne and Caruso was pretty good.

I did like the continuity it kept with the CSI/CSI Miami crossover/Pilot from 2002 when Horatio mentioned Catherine and giving his regards to Warrick since they were the only characters that he actually met from the original show.

Now I wonder how they are going to transition Ray traveling to New York now.

Did anyone think the girl who stole the credit card and was apparently kidnapped in the final scene looked like Amber Tamblyn?

Another problem I had is the music cues are just too loud.

CertifiedTHX 11-10-09 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Boba Fett (Post 9826617)
What was with them using the intro music to "The Dark Knight?"

I heard it in the background and didn't realize it was CSI.

Ah, so I'm not the only one to catch that. Yes, that same discomforting sound from a violin that's out of tune. I was waiting for the pitch to rise, denoting escalating danger.

--THX

Michael Corvin 11-10-09 11:20 PM

Not bad. It certainly could have been a lost worse. The callback to Catherine & Warrick was great, and every scene with Fish & Caruso was excellent. However, I think it's pretty flimsy at best (and silly to boot) that Ray flew all the way to Miami to identify a knife wound. :lol: What, all those Minority Report computers couldn't do that for them? Seriously, their lab makes Vegas look like Mayberry, by comparison.

Is there a big bear population in Miami? That scene seemed really out of place.

Apparently, if I watched Miami on a regular basis I'd need to wear sunglasses due to all the lens flares used. Serious overkill.

DJariya 11-11-09 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 9828750)
Not bad. It certainly could have been a lost worse. The callback to Catherine & Warrick was great, and every scene with Fish & Caruso was excellent. However, I think it's pretty flimsy at best (and silly to boot) that Ray flew all the way to Miami to identify a knife wound. :lol: What, all those Minority Report computers couldn't do that for them? Seriously, their lab makes Vegas look like Mayberry, by comparison.

Is there a big bear population in Miami? That scene seemed really out of place.

Apparently, if I watched Miami on a regular basis I'd need to wear sunglasses due to all the lens flares used. Serious overkill.

The same could have been said about Grissom traveling all the way to New York to assist Jack Malone and the FBI in the Without a Trace crossover a few years ago when they could have easily just made a phone call to Mac Taylor and the NY Crime Lab.

The Bear scene was really bad and out of place.

It wasn't bad, but I think the CSI: NY episode on Wednesday will be much better than this one. They seem to have much better writers on that show.

OscarBluth 11-11-09 01:08 AM

Not bad. It certainly could have been a lost worse. The callback to Catherine & Warrick was great

Really? Great? "Send my condolences for Warrick Brown*" said a year and a half after his death was great? Instead of sending flowers or picking up the phone, a mention in passing 18 months later is great? :rolleyes:

Just as I thought, each of these eps can stand on their own. Dr. Ray will go to NY, wrap up something there, and finish up in Vegas. Everything in Miami and NY that people need to know will be shown before Thursday's ep of CSI. People won't be confused or left wondering what happened with Morpheus and Lieutenant Dan. ;)

*Whatever Caruso said.

BDB 11-11-09 02:05 AM

My favourite CSI tool is the Sand Analyzer!

Axeramm 11-11-09 03:56 AM

At one point about 45 minutes in I thought Ray and Horatio were gonna kiss.

DJariya 11-11-09 04:12 AM

Oscar, I think Michael was pretty much trying to point out the same thing that I mentioned above. The episode kept some continuity with past relationships the Miami Crime Lab had with the Vegas Crime Lab from 7 years ago. Warrick and Catherine were the only people that Horatio actually met prior to Dr. Ray's arrival.

DJariya 11-11-09 04:35 AM

Part 2 airs tonight on CSI: NY

Synopsis for "Hammer Down":

Spoiler:

Ray Langston of the Las Vegas crime lab tracks a human-trafficking ring that specializes in black-market organ harvesting to New York, where he assists Mac in attempting to free a hostage taken by the criminal group. The story began on "CSI: Miami" and concludes on "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation."

Michael Corvin 11-11-09 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 9828829)
The same could have been said about Grissom traveling all the way to New York to assist Jack Malone and the FBI in the Without a Trace crossover a few years ago when they could have easily just made a phone call to Mac Taylor and the NY Crime Lab.

At least in that case the missing girl was from Vegas and there was a chance she was still alive. Once it was determined this girl was dead (from the butcher) Ray could have headed back home and let their lab handle the work.

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 9828978)
Oscar, I think Michael was pretty much trying to point out the same thing that I mentioned above. The episode kept some continuity with past relationships the Miami Crime Lab had with the Vegas Crime Lab from 7 years ago. Warrick and Catherine were the only people that Horatio actually met prior to Dr. Ray's arrival.

Correct. "Great" was probably the wrong word. Keeping the continuity(Cane actually remembering Warrick and Catherine) was good instead of this being something totally new.

bigsoos 11-11-09 09:48 AM

I wish people from all 3 shows would mingle together. Is it really a cross-over if 1 person just visits the other 2 shows?

Nick Martin 11-11-09 12:02 PM

The case ultimately doesn't matter with crossovers like this. It's just an excuse to have the leads of each show appear with the other leads, since most probably wouldn't care much if it were supporting cast members crossing over (the exception being "Cross Jurisdictions" that introduced Miami, since Petersen wouldn't do it which is why Warrick and Catherine went instead).

Michael Corvin 11-11-09 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by bigsoos (Post 9829287)
I wish people from all 3 shows would mingle together. Is it really a cross-over if 1 person just visits the other 2 shows?

Maybe after they all solve the case we'll get a shot of all three of them sharing a brew in podunk Nebraska.

KristenHope 11-11-09 01:28 PM

Anyone know if the first episode is online to watch?? Other than on cbs cause I cant watch it from there cause i live in canada

DJariya 11-11-09 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by KristenHope (Post 9829880)
Anyone know if the first episode is online to watch?? Other than on cbs cause I cant watch it from there cause i live in canada

I think your best bet right now is Itunes...if you want to watch it legally before part 2 tonight.

Other than that, if your savvy enough there are alternative means to watch it.

Nick Martin 11-11-09 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 9829883)
I think your best bet right now is Itunes...if you want to watch it legally before part 2 tonight.

Other than that, if your savvy enough there are alternative means to watch it.

Like me, a fellow Canadian who can't watch these streams unless I use that "Hotspot" program which doesn't work well very often.

That's why I went the "alternative" route as well.

KristenHope 11-11-09 03:33 PM

I found it on you tube divided into 5 part but of course part 5 was missing...so i have watched it all but probably the last 10 minutes....i searched on itunes but couldnt find it

Nick Martin 11-11-09 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by KristenHope (Post 9830222)
I found it on you tube divided into 5 part but of course part 5 was missing...so i have watched it all but probably the last 10 minutes....i searched on itunes but couldnt find it

You have a private message waiting for you. Check it out as it has some information about it.

KristenHope 11-11-09 03:57 PM

aintnosin 11-11-09 06:24 PM

However, I think it's pretty flimsy at best (and silly to boot) that Ray flew all the way to Miami to identify a knife wound. :lol:

Especially with Eckley supposedly pinching every penny at the lab.

DJariya 11-12-09 05:52 AM

Yo!!

Part 3 is tonight on CSI

Synopsis for "The Lost Girls":

Spoiler:

Ray searches for a missing girl being held hostage by human traffickers. He believes the victim may now be part of a Las Vegas prostitution ring. The story began on "CSI: Miami" and continued on "CSI: NY."

I wonder how many people are tuning into CSI tonight without having seen Part 1 and 2 from earlier in the week and be like...."Did I miss something?"

jjcool 11-12-09 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 9826735)
I had to laugh everytime Horatio kept calling Ray....."Dr. Ray" :lol:.

Ray also called Calleigh "Miss Calleigh".

Did anyone think the girl who stole the credit card and was apparently kidnapped in the final scene looked like Amber Tamblyn?.

She diefinitely looked familiar. I couldnt place her though

Another problem I had is the music cues are just too loud.

It seemed like they were doing a music video several times in this episode.

I guess I will grudgingly watch the other two CSIs. Just to see how this story ends, but I really cant stand Las Vegas or NY. Miami is by far my favorite.

jonnyquest 11-12-09 05:38 PM

Don Flack said the crashed 18-wheeler was leased from Charlottesville, NC.
There is no Charlottesville, NC. They probably meant Charlotte, NC.
Big blunder for such a high-profile show.