Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Mad Men -- Season 3 Finale -- "Shut the Door, Have a Seat" -- 11/08/09

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-09, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Mad Men -- Season 3 Finale -- "Shut the Door, Have a Seat" -- 11/08/09

Amazing episode and one of the best season finales I've ever seen. I knew at the beginning of the season that they were working slowly to establish characterization, but it really paid off in the last five or six episodes. I loved Joan not just coming back, but saving the entire plan, as well as Peggy's "no" to Roger's request for coffee, and Roger's "Yes, it's a joke, happy birthday" to Harry. Everyone did a great job on acting, especially the scene with Don confronting Betty with the news about Henry.

Don now has a lot to live up to, with having to eat some crow when it comes to people. I think this will lead to his crossing paths with Sal, who Don treated pretty badly.

We'll also need to see what happens to Trainwreck Betty, the Queen of Bad Decisions. Compared to the faces of the SCDP folks who looked happy to be working together - and after Don's speech about wanting to work and to make things - Betty looked miserable, as she goes from one controlling man who mostly left her alone except for sex and to be arm candy, to another who's going to micro-manage her every move. Why else would he tell her not to aim for a settlement from Don? Without that, she gets no money and no chance of freedom. Don might be a heel, but he knows what he wants and takes some risks, while Betty wants everything with no risk.

I'd love for the first sound to come from the new season's first episode to be the opening chord from the Beatles' "A Hard Day's Night", but I don't think they'll go that far into the future. But I think that to prove that their agency is forward-looking rather than old and staid, they might take a stab at something Beatle-related.

"Shahdaroba" by Roy Orbison was a perfect pick for the end. Whomever made that choice should get a raise.
Old 11-11-09, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
I can do without Sal, hopefully he's gone for good. I hope they keep Ken and Paul, and Hildy, of course!
Sal was really good at his job so I think he fits in with what they are trying to do at the new SCDP; the only problem is Lee Garner, Jr.

It's hard to see Cosgrove going because he'll probably have other opportunities. Still he can be a valuable asset so I would say that it is a maybe.

Kinsey is another matter entirely. Creative (Don/Peggy) at SCDP know that Paul isn't really all that great at his job. I think it would strain credibility to bring him on.

Hildy is an absolute must though!
Old 11-11-09, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jack Straw
Price's wife will not be happy about this.
They can always open up a office in London.
Old 11-11-09, 08:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jack Straw
Price's wife will not be happy about this.
first thing I said to my wife during that whole discussion.
Old 11-11-09, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Lemdog
They can always open up a office in London.
That reminds of one of the little things that makes this such a great show- the set design for PPL's offices in London is spot-on. London after the war (actually pretty much up to the '90s) was a run-down and dingy place and it really speaks volumes about the talent working on this show that they convey that in the extremely brief shots of the office we've seen.
Old 11-11-09, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by Damfino
Peter emphasizing that he was bringing over the Jai Alai account was funny.
Same here. It has as much value as a ham sandwich.

"Very well. Happy Christmas!"

Lots of great lines in this one and was a perfect way to end the season.
Old 11-11-09, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

http://blogs.payscale.com/content/20...-salaries.html
Old 12-01-09, 07:07 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

so finally caught up...

I have a question...

Why is it exactly Roger and Don hated each other so much this season? I think it all started at Roger's wedding, with his young bride getting drunk, but she really wasn't hitting on Don... is that all it was about? Don thinking Roger was making a mistake my marrying a young chippy? and if that's it, wasn't that somewhat hypocritical on Don's part? Did I miss something else?
Old 12-01-09, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
Did I miss something else?
Roger hitting on Betty in season two.
Old 12-01-09, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Also, the woman who Roger married was initially Don's secretary, who Don didn't care for at all, and his opinion of Roger greatly lessened when he got engaged to her.
Old 12-01-09, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Despite Don's exploits, he manages to keep it private between him and the other woman and never bring shame to his wife (or at least such that it could not be tied back to his inner circle). Remember when he was so upset in season 2 when the Comedian's wife told him about the rumors spreading about him, etc? Plus Don attempts to (for the most part) keep all of his exploits separate from work as well. Even when he was with the twins in season one, he left quite early, and when other co-workers discuss cheating, Don never admits his own indiscretions.

Roger making a public spectacle of leaving his wife, changing his entire life, for his secretary as well as acting silly at the wedding disgusted Don. Roger embarrassed his wife, and his kids, and I'd think that in Don's eyes, he embarrassed Sterling Cooper as well.

Last edited by bluetoast; 12-01-09 at 10:17 PM.
Old 12-02-09, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Roger also called Betty and urged her to convince Don to sign an employment contract. Don saw this as an invasion of his private life and Roger using Betty crossed a line. That was the episode where he told Cooper he didn't want to have any more contact with Roger Sterling.
Old 05-09-10, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Also, the woman who Roger married was initially Don's secretary, who Don didn't care for at all, and his opinion of Roger greatly lessened when he got engaged to her.
Additionally, I believe that she was passing information about Don to Roger during "pillow talk", which Don obviously didn't appreciate.

Really looking forward to season 4 coming next month.
Old 06-22-10, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Anyone heard anything about the upcoming Season 4 (July 25) and how it may tie into the Season 3 finale....?
Old 06-22-10, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
Anyone heard anything about the upcoming Season 4 (July 25) and how it may tie into the Season 3 finale....?
Well, it kind of has to tie in given what happened.

But all that's out for Season 4 is a poster so far
Old 06-22-10, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
It was all a dream brought on by a bad roast loin of pork. When Don wakes up, it's 2010 and he's a police officer in New York.
Old 06-22-10, 02:29 PM

If they don't find a way to bring Sal back I will be pretty upset. He was the most engaging supporting character. I don't think they can bring him into the new agency, but they could make him competition which would be interesting.
Old 06-22-10, 02:36 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by John Slider
If they don't find a way to bring Sal back I will be pretty upset. He was the most engaging supporting character. I don't think they can bring him into the new agency, but they could make him competition which would be interesting.
prepare to be upset

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment..._mad_mens.html
Old 06-22-10, 02:38 PM

Well, that ruined my day.
Old 06-23-10, 06:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
While I enjoy Sal as a character, I don't like that the actor is starting a Facebook/Twitter campaign to ask fans to demand that Sal return to the show. If the writers and creators no longer feel that Sal is an integral part of the story, leave Sal off the show. They know what story they want to tell and will use the characters they need to tell it.
Old 06-23-10, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Frankly, while I like the Sal character, I felt his storyline was forced.
Old 06-29-10, 04:57 PM

Just recovering from an operation, and have watched this from beginning to end. My girlfriend was hunting around a store for something to entertain me and bought me the season 1-3 box set.

God, I love her. And God, I love this show.

Best thing since The West Wing.
Old 07-02-10, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 231 Likes on 136 Posts

My wife and I just finished watching seasons 1-3 over the last month or so. Really love this show.

Almost everything I would have said about the finale has already been brought up. The one thing we've joked about is that Draper's daughter must think her name is "Go Upstairs." It's all her mother or father ever say to her.
Old 07-02-10, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

She's a whiney brat, just like her mom.
Old 02-02-15, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I just finished the Season 3 Finale of Mad Men, and I have to say that is one of the greatest season finale's of any drama I have ever seen. There wasn't one mistep in the plotting as everything tied up with Don's homelife and worklife that will setup a WHOLE new show in Season 4.

I'm hoping the quality continues for Seasons 4,5,6 and eventually season 7, as my one worry is this episode was the peak of the show? I don't know what will happen with alot of the secondary characters who were lost in the shuffle, but I am hoping for a new lean and mean cast in Season 4 containing all of the characters sitting in the hotel room at the end of the episode. And another great thing about the show is how they were able to make some characters unlikeable in Season 1 and now they are likeable in Season 3, and vice versa. I was not a fan of Joan & Pete in Season 1 (meaning they were playing their characters perfectly so you weren't suppose to like them) but now I like that they are getting their due in the agency. As for Betty, she is a total trainwreck as I only foresee her being unhappy for the duration of the show?

What makes this show probably one of the greatest drama's of all-time is each episode reflects a larger theme as it ties the characters situation together. The Soprano's was able to do that in the first 3 seasons, but really lost its way from Season 4 on and never regained its great quality. Here's hoping Mad Men continues to stay great!