DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Fringe..when does it get good? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/564272-fringe-when-does-get-good.html)

Wolf359 11-04-09 11:02 AM

Fringe..when does it get good?

Seems like a lot of love for this show, so I thought I'd give it a rent. I am at Ep 10 of season 1 and so far it has been really ho hum.

The science on the show is so laughably horrible, it makes Eureka seem plausible.

At which point do most of you consider the show getting better? Or if I'm not hooked by now, should I just stop?

Snowmaker 11-04-09 11:06 AM

Re: Fringe..when does it get good?

I say finish season 1. If it doesn't make you want to see the first episode of season 2, then give up on it.

DJariya 11-04-09 11:10 AM

Definitely finish season 1. I think it finishes really strongly towards the end. Anna Torv grows alot during the season as Olivia and Peter/Walter's interactions are IMO the highlight of the show. The show is alot more fantasy than actual science, so your going to have to suspend your plausibility beliefs.

Arthur Dent 11-04-09 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Snowmaker (Post 9815656)
I say finish season 1. If it doesn't make you want to see the first episode of season 2, then give up on it.

I agree with this advice.

cleaver 11-04-09 11:21 AM

It got good for me when
http://scifiwire.com/assets_c/2009/0...x344-13179.jpg
and has stayed good since.

wmansir 11-04-09 11:23 AM

I gave up after half a dozen episodes and I've been wondering about this myself. From the little I've seen in the more recent Fringe threads here the show is well liked, but I'm wondering if it's because the naysayers like myself left, or the show improved.

Wolf359 11-04-09 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by cleaver (Post 9815688)
It got good for me when
http://scifiwire.com/assets_c/2009/0...x344-13179.jpg
and has stayed good since.

That's the episode I just finished, so I will carry on and see what happens.

Draven 11-04-09 11:27 AM

Stick with it - I didn't like it much at first (seemed like a poor-man's X-Files) but I couldn't get through the last 4 or 5 eps fast enough. Some pretty mind-blowing shit happens towards the end.

Chew 11-04-09 11:30 AM

I caught up on it over the summer. It never hooked me, but I still continued with the second season.

To me, it never "got good". I've stopped watching.

Snowmaker 11-04-09 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Chew (Post 9815708)
To me, it never "got good". I've stopped watching.

Its a show I enjoy, but would not lose any sleep over if FOX cancelled it tomorrow.

Jeremy517 11-04-09 11:57 AM

If you don't like Walter, you should just stop now.

Wolf359 11-04-09 12:10 PM

I like Walter, but I don't like how convenient it is that he had a hand in practically anything and everything they come across. But like DJariya said, this can't be looked at as anything but fantasy.

Groucho 11-04-09 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Wolf359 (Post 9815809)
I like Walter, but I don't like how convenient it is that he had a hand in practically anything and everything they come across.

That's not a coincidence.

Geofferson 11-04-09 12:22 PM

The opening scene of episode #13. ;)

mndtrp 11-04-09 12:25 PM

I watched a few episodes when it first started, and I wasn't impressed either. If the consensus is to finish the fist season, I may rent this somewhere down the line.

riley_dude 11-04-09 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Wolf359 (Post 9815644)
Seems like a lot of love for this show, so I thought I'd give it a rent. I am at Ep 10 of season 1 and so far it has been really ho hum.

The science on the show is so laughably horrible, it makes Eureka seem plausible.

At which point do most of you consider the show getting better? Or if I'm not hooked by now, should I just stop?

I would say, dont watch it for the accuracy of the science.
I thought it got good about half way through the season. Towards the end it is firing on all cylynders.

Mopower 11-04-09 12:39 PM

It gets good first episode season 1.

NiCK Crush 11-04-09 12:49 PM

This show is incredible. New episode this week! I love baseball, but I do no love the Phils or the Yanks, so I'm glad the series is ending so we can finally get back to Fringe.

sven 11-04-09 01:44 PM

OP made it a lot further than I did. After 5 or 6 episode of horribly written crap I had to drop it.

Snowmaker 11-04-09 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Geofferson (Post 9815840)
The opening scene of episode #13. ;)

I had to look it up, but yeah, that was good.

Arthur Dent 11-04-09 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Snowmaker (Post 9816050)
I had to look it up, but yeah, that was good.

I had to look it up, too; good scene.

Raul3 11-04-09 02:14 PM

If after 10 episodes you are not convinced just stop watching. This show is not for you. It's not that you get it or don't get it, this is not that kind of shows, but by episode 10 you should already be hooked up if this is your kind of show.

cleaver 11-04-09 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Raul3 (Post 9816086)
If after 10 episodes you are not convinced just stop watching. This show is not for you. It's not that you get it or don't get it, this is not that kind of shows, but by episode 10 you should already be hooked up if this is your kind of show.

At episode 11 it became must watch for me.

clckworang 11-04-09 02:50 PM

I've been thinking about revisiting this show as well. I tried two or three times to get through the pilot and just couldn't do it. I found it painful so I never watched another episode. I've heard it improves quite a bit, but I just haven't been able to bring myself to try again.

spainlinx0 11-04-09 02:57 PM

I was negative on the show on the beginning, even commenting in the first threads. I am a fan now, and think it definitely improved.