Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

if the EMMYs had recognized THE WIRE, which actor(s) would have been nominated?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-09, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Season one?
I think Michael B. Jordan as Wallace stood out, and worthied himself a nomination for supporting actor.
For Best Actor, guess you could nominate both Wendell Pierce (the Bunk) and Dominic West (McNulty)

Season two?
Chris Bauer as Frank Sobotka as Lead Actor
Michael K. Williams as Omar Little, as this was the season he acted as a witness in Bird's trial, and shined like a new penny doing so.

Season three?
For best supporting actor, you'd have to give it to Idris Elba as Stringer. In season one, he was pretty one-way: a loyal playa in the Barksdale organization. By season three, he was torn many ways, and his anguish and embarrassment after being taken advantage of by a certain senator, and being dressed down by Avon because Stringer wanted Slim Charles to hit the guy...well, his face spoke volumes.

Season four?
one of the four boys would have to have walked away with a nomination, but which one? Also, gotta hand the talent baton over to Felicia "Snoop" Pearson

Season five?
No real stand-outs in this, aside from the few cameos from past seasons. Maybe hand a nomination over to Jamie Hector as Marlo - "my name is my name!"

Of course, it goes without saying that the series would have picked up (and won) nominations for Best Series and Best Writing.
Old 10-26-09, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: if the EMMYs had recognized THE WIRE, which actor(s) would have been nominated?

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit that's easy.

Best comedic performance in a television show, non musical - Isiah Whitlock, Jr (Senator R. Clayton "Clay" Davis)
Old 11-02-09, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: if the EMMYs had recognized THE WIRE, which actor(s) would have been nominated?

Definitely for Season 5 - he was great at his trial!
Old 11-02-09, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I like Cutty in Season 3. He did an excellent job going from hardened soldier to turning around and realizing that he just couldn't be part of the game anymore. However,

If you're going to give any of the kids a nod from Season 4, I would probably go with the kid that played Dookie. His portrayal was heartbreaking.

I like Marlo but outside of his one rant when he found out about Omar, he didn't do too much.
Old 11-02-09, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When the profiler is reading the serial killer profile to McNulty in season five, incredible performance by West then and the whole season. And Elba should have won seasons 1-3.
Old 11-03-09, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How could you not have Bubs (Andre Royo) in there somewhere? Some of it was the emotion of the storyline but I thought he was fantastic throughout(probably season 5 for the nomination? the end of season 4 was also great)

Season 1 is tough - DeAngelo also had some real good depth and I think gets forgotten.

Probably Frank in season 2 (also liked Nick Sobotka too)

Season 3 had to be Stringer

I liked Dookie from Season 4 (also Randy but he may not have as much overall impact as Dookie). Or Bubs as mentioned above.

The serial killer profile scene alone in season 5 could've bagged the emmy for 'McNutty' - this would be like am overall series achievement award for West. I thought Bubs was also absolutely amazing in season 5.
Old 11-03-09, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre
Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit that's easy.

Best comedic performance in a television show, non musical - Isiah Whitlock, Jr (Senator R. Clayton "Clay" Davis)
Perfect opportunity to post this

Two old friends I haven't seen in years got married and I'm friends with them on Facebook. He has cancer and she posted the story that she was at the hospital for his treatment when she stepped out for some coffee when she runs into Clay Davis on the street. She tells him they are huge WIRE fans so he agrees to go visit the room. He walks in and Clay and the guy look at each other and both say SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEIT!

Clay hangs out with them for a while talking the WIRE and Notre Dame football and actually CAME BACK the following week to visit again and check how he was doing. (Im assuming that he has family in the Center.)