Stargate Universe -- "Air Part 3" -- 10/09/09

Old 10-09-09, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Stargate Universe -- "Air Part 3" -- 10/09/09

SGU

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

A search team combs a desert planet for a vital mineral to scrub away the carbon dioxide that's accumulating on the Destiny. Meanwhile, Chloe (Elyse Levesque) reaches out to her mother via the communication stones.

This is a continuation of last week's season premiere.
Old 10-09-09, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Stargate Universe -- "Air Part 3" -- 10/09/09

The first 3/4ths of this episode really dragged. Nothing about this show grabs me yet.
Old 10-09-09, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's take Stargate, take out everything that made it enjoyable, put in everything that made BSG tedious, and we'll call it SGU.
Old 10-10-09, 05:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SteelWill
put in everything that made BSG tedious, and we'll call it SGU.
Yeah that ep was pretty much them testing sand, then testing more sand.. then....... testing some thing else... no wait, mean more sand.

that being said, I still sort of like the show but I'm a total Stargate newbie who never really watched the old series.. So it's all sort of new to me..
Old 10-10-09, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The only enjoyable part was Jack telling the commander guy to suck it up and stop crying . SG-1 would've fixed the ship, found food, liberated a couple of planets, and delivered the tech back to the Air Force before dinner time.

D
Old 10-10-09, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So far, this is no SG1, that's for sure.
Old 10-10-09, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 427 Likes on 248 Posts

At the very end, when they were in hyperspace, what happened? Did part of the ship break off?
Old 10-10-09, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Phillips
At the very end, when they were in hyperspace, what happened? Did part of the ship break off?
I took it that somebody, or something thing, left the ship via a escape shuttle like the one the Senator died in.

I'm surprised so many of you are down on this. Sure it's not SG-1 or SGA, but I think that's a good thing. I like that we're getting a darker side (seriously, wouldn't have seen somebody get shot like that in the old series) yet trying to retain some humor. I wasn't laughing out loud at Ellie's joke, but I did appreciate it.

I really liked the character progression, however small with Rush and the Sergent. We certainly also got a lot more back story about Matt (Lt Scott). I like how his relationship with the Chloe is progressing as well.

Anybody else surprised to see how much the earth crew have showed up so quickly again?

I am torn that they should have/could have cut back the first two hours and made this part of the premier; especially since the pace picked up at the end. I honestly thought they were going to head to that other planet, and they'd have to pick them up there.
Old 10-10-09, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I wonder if they will get back to those guys that went looking for a planet to live on. Maybe the shuttle went to go pick them up.
Old 10-10-09, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Pretty boring for most of the ep. I'm wondering if the only way that Lou Diamond Phillips is going to stay part of the cast is through those communication devices? Seems pretty awkward to shoehorn him in that way.
Old 10-10-09, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't find much to like in the episode. Boring for the most part and most of the characters are annoying. I was halfway hoping the ship would jump and leave them stranded on the planet.
I can appreciate some character backstory, but in the case of the senator's daughter and the soldier guy, I found I didn't really care. The drama so far doesn't seem very dramatic.
Old 10-10-09, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I read some of the comments here and was expecting it to be worse than it was. I didn't mind the episode, but then I also FF through a bit, like most of the priest flashback/delusion stuff.

Regarding the ship that detached at the end, it looked like an alien ship of some kind. It was a different color and design from the Destiny and it didn't appear to detach from a port or dock.

I was a bit disappointed they didn't have any significant followup on the two who went through the stargate to the blocked address. They had the one guy failing to contact them by radio and that's it. I would think they would have at least sent a probe through to check for them.
Old 10-10-09, 10:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So far I'm liking it. I guess we'll have to see if some of these threads (the two people who left for the other planet for example) pay off. I do like that they are trying to make it more serialized from the onset than the "problem of the week" that's solved by the end.
Old 10-11-09, 11:55 AM

Starting kinda slow, needs more Lou Diamond Philips and Ming Wa
Old 10-11-09, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'm not a fan of the film and have never watched any of the tv shows, but I like Robert Carlyle and ESPN2's boxing season and Eureka are over on Fridays, so I went ahead and gave it a shot.

The characters are all pretty annoying. Most of the cast seems a tad lost and those that are not are only playing total cliches (the wisecracking pudgy nerd, the do-gooder hunk). The actual writing is choppy, paced poorly, and where it should be emotionally moving its either bitchy or glum.

Maybe if it sticks around and buzz picks up, I'll revisit it (especially since SciFi runs marathons aplenty), but I think three irksome hours was enough for me.
Old 10-11-09, 01:41 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Slumbering Fist
Maybe if it sticks around and buzz picks up, I'll revisit it (especially since SciFi runs marathons aplenty), but I think three irksome hours was enough for me.

*shrug* For genre shows, I like to give them a little time to find their bearings. For example, "Fringe" was kinda iffy in the beginning, but found it's bearings by mid-season, and now it's one of my favorite shows.

Overall, despite being a big fan of SG-1 and Atlantis, I like SGU as it's own beast with it's own tone and pace (basically, Lost + BSG in a Stargate Universe. "Destiny" = "The Island", flashbacks, disagreements between military/civilian).

To expect SGU to just be like SG-1 or Atlantis but "somewhere else" would kinda defeat the purpose. And that format would turn SGU into something like Star Trek Voyager, which squandered it's potential of what it could have been (or had promised to be).

As per nemein, also loving the serialized nature ,which unfortunately will probably not play well in the long run as people tend to have low attention spans. Have a feeling they will slowly revert to a "planet of the week" with the going home thing becoming a rehash of Voyager, which would be a shame ("Hey, you were this close to getting home...but nope"). I seriously hope I'm wrong about that point though.

I'm guessing the pace of the show will slowly build to some kind of mid-season cliffhanger/reveal (which is a staple in later SG-1 seasons and in Atlantis). I'd recommend giving them until the end of the year and see what happens, and whether the show will be able to make us go "wow" at that point.
Old 10-11-09, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by greydt
*shrug* For genre shows, I like to give them a little time to find their bearings. For example, "Fringe" was kinda iffy in the beginning, but found it's bearings by mid-season, and now it's one of my favorite shows...

...I'd recommend giving them until the end of the year and see what happens, and whether the show will be able to make us go "wow" at that point.
Yeah, I totally agree with you. Thats really how most shows should be judged. Its just that a combo of being busier than usual and spoiled by the internet/on demand era, I'd rather do other things and keep an ear out for buzz than watch-wait-and-see when it comes to tv. The plus side to it, also, is that you can dive into something two or three seasons deep, which is fun.
Old 10-11-09, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

a pretty boring episode, hope it will get good I like the look of it so far, but the flashbacks are boring and could do with out them and going back to earth and the pentagon etc.

The ending did pick up alittle but overall didnt really car for it . dont care for Ellie, he doesnt seem amazed ro wowed that hes in space or on another planet. I will keep watching but hope the characters start getting interesting or something happens. Cause so far I dont care what happens to any of the characters.
Old 10-11-09, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by SteelWill
Let's take Stargate, take out everything that made it enjoyable, put in everything that made BSG tedious, and we'll call it SGU.
This describes the show perfectly so far. I never cared for BSG because I never found even one of the principal characters even mildly likeable and hence never cared what happened to any of them - hell, most of the time I spent watching the show (not a regular event - just when there was nothing else on), I was cheering for the Cylons to wipe out these assholes. SGU seems dedicated to following the same path in a pathetic bid to be as "dark" and hence as "cool" as BSG - probably to try to get the same critical kudos that BSG got, though they (BSG) never deserved it IMO.
Old 10-11-09, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So far this is taking more of a tone that I wish SGA had of taken. You're 80 people stranded who the hell knows how far from home (billions of light years - seriously can anybody actually comprehend what that means?!) with little supplies on a ship that's about to fall apart. How would basic instincts and disorder not set in? Should they miraculously get the ship up and running to full specs in 5 episodes and laugh and joke as they skip across the universe home?

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed much of the banter between the characters in previous series, and I hope we get some of that here going forward, but I'd also like to see more of the "realistic" half of the Stargate program.

Plus, like others have said several other series took at least half a season to develop!
Old 10-11-09, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good thing the Ancients stocked their ships with complete bedrooms. Sure would have sucked sleeping on the decks since they didn't bring bedding with them.

So I guess the next few episodes should deal with their water supply & food supply now that they've got air covered. The ship should have a supply of Jumpers.
Old 10-12-09, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

It dragged a bit but I was never bored. I'm still in.
Old 10-12-09, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Although I found the first two hours slow, I wasn't bored.

This one was both slow and boring.

Hopefully now that the 3 parts are complete, it'll start getting more interesting.
Old 10-12-09, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by resinrats
Good thing the Ancients stocked their ships with complete bedrooms. Sure would have sucked sleeping on the decks since they didn't bring bedding with them.

So I guess the next few episodes should deal with their water supply & food supply now that they've got air covered. The ship should have a supply of Jumpers.
Maybe, but I'm not sure how far along ancient technology was when the ship launched. Obviously they had hyperspace and the gate technology, but maybe jumpers came along after? <shrug>
Old 10-12-09, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll hang in there for a while, but it better become a bit more involving real soon.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.