Search this Thread

Old 10-08-09, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Flash Forward -- "137 Sekunden" -- 10/08/09

Flash Forward

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

In Germany, Mark and Janis meet an imprisoned Nazi who claims knowledge about the mass blackout; a tip causes Demetri to fear the worst about his future; Aaron asks Mark to help him get his daughter's remains exhumed and DNA retested.

Sounds like an interesting premise. Anyways, looking forward to it.
Old 10-08-09, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Flash Forward -- "137 Sekunden" -- 10/08/09

Excited for this. I hope it keeps on building the way it has.
Old 10-08-09, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree. This show caught me off guard with "extreme like". It's paced well and, so far, and interesting to compare fate with self-fulfilling prophecies.
Old 10-08-09, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Re-posting what I just did in last week's thread to hopefully garner more discussion here.

Originally Posted by pinata242
Just watched this one last night. One thing really doesn't make sense to me.

If all the flash forwards are showing 10pm PDT on April 29th, 2010 (5am UTC April 30th), why was that chick getting an ultrasound at night? Unless she was somewhere in Eastern Europe, Asia, or Australia it doesn't make much sense to me. Even Hawaii would be 7pm, right? Seems a little late for your standard OB/GYN appointment.

Regarding Demitri's mysterious phone call, they might as well have just had a Soothsayer in the garage wailing "Beware the Ides of March!" I'm going on record with a prediction that his death is the result of a betrayal. Too bad 3/15/2010 is a Monday and we won't have an episode that day
One explanation to the late appointment might be a simple self-fulfilling prophecy. The only reason she wanted to make sure that this occurred during the flash forward was to ensure that she learned about it back then otherwise it wouldn't have happened.
Old 10-08-09, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also don't understand why they said Kobe Bryant got injured and is out for the remainder of the season when the season ends 2 weeks before April 29th. Unless they said he was out the remainder of the playoffs and I forgot....
Old 10-08-09, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Regarding the chick getting an ultrasound at 'night', the way she was carrying on with the crying, I think it may have been in a hospital not an office and something may have happened that made her want to check on the baby.

Sure finding out the sex of the baby can be 'emotional', but she was really going nuts.
Old 10-08-09, 07:28 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Joanie Stubbs (Deadwood) in this ep...nice. First Lost and now this show.
Old 10-08-09, 08:00 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

at it them instantly being able to pull up an excel graph of worldwide crow populations
Old 10-08-09, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 0073735963
Joanie Stubbs (Deadwood) in this ep...nice. First Lost and now this show.
Loved the cameo by the always talented Thomas Kretchmann.

I'm hooked on this show. No goosebumps moment at the end of the show. Probably should've cut it at the picture on the computer of the dead crows.
Old 10-08-09, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

boring episode until the last minute.
the whole thing with the nazi was a waste, they had to do all that to find out he saw dead crows.

and the instant info on crow deaths around the world, ugh.
Old 10-08-09, 09:34 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah I wasn't really impressed with this episode but I'm still hooked on it.
Old 10-08-09, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
the whole thing with the nazi was a waste, they had to do all that to find out he saw dead crows.
And apparently the crows mysteriously disappeared before anyone else noticed them. Both in the prison and everywhere else in the entire world.
Old 10-08-09, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

I liked it. Question for those that have read the book.

Spoiler:
Ok, so do they answer what caused the flash forwards in the book? I don't want to know what it is, I just want to know if they answered how it happened. Please put it in spoilers.
Old 10-08-09, 10:40 PM

I am really not caring about a lot of these personal stories. In fact I'm reminded of bad episodes of Jericho. Earth-shattering event, focus on personal drama. I hope these things will weave together in a way that makes them important elements and not just filler.
Old 10-08-09, 10:41 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Meh episode.
Old 10-08-09, 11:35 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242
Just watched this one last night. One thing really doesn't make sense to me.

If all the flash forwards are showing 10pm PDT on April 29th, 2010 (5am UTC April 30th), why was that chick getting an ultrasound at night? Unless she was somewhere in Eastern Europe, Asia, or Australia it doesn't make much sense to me. Even Hawaii would be 7pm, right? Seems a little late for your standard OB/GYN appointment.
I think you're right about the self-fulfilling prophecy because (prediction ahead)

Spoiler:
I think Demetri is the father of Janis's baby, and Demetri is dead. She intentionally scheduled the ultrasound during the FlashForward so that she'd be able to tell Demetri about his daughter before he dies.

As for this week's episode, am I really supposed to believe that an imprisoned Nazi is 1) the only person in the world to connect the number 187 with Kaballah and 2) the only person in the world to notice the mass death of crows? I mean, Benford and Hawk go and pull up the Audobon data that shows a huge drop-off in the crow population. Wouldn't someone from the Audobon Society (let alone all the non-Nazis who woke up to find piles of dead birds) have reported that to the government?
Old 10-08-09, 11:44 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Deftones
I liked it. Question for those that have read the book.

Spoiler:
Ok, so do they answer what caused the flash forwards in the book? I don't want to know what it is, I just want to know if they answered how it happened. Please put it in spoilers.
This post contains spoiler for the book, but not (as far as I am aware) for the TV series.

There is an answer in the book. The answer is:

Spoiler:
The FlashForward in the book occurs at the exact instant that 1) a solar flare occurs, and 2) an experiment is being done at the superconducting supercollider. In the book, this FlashFoward takes everyone forward about two decades, not seven months. They eventually figure out that the reason the experiment caused the FlashForward is that:
Spoiler:
everyone FlashForwarded to a point about two decades in the future where the same solar flares occur and the same experiment occurs. Of course, they're doing the experiment again at the time of the solar flares to see if it will repeat the FlashForward experience. Instead, it links the two times, which is why people Flashed Forward to that particular time during the initial incident.

I'm 99% sure they are going in a different direction with the TV series, since in the book, there was no:
Spoiler:
D. Gibbons (or equivalent) and nobody who remained conscious during the FlashForward.
Old 10-08-09, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by JasonF
This post contains spoiler for the book, but not (as far as I am aware) for the TV series.

There is an answer in the book. The answer is:

Spoiler:
The FlashForward in the book occurs at the exact instant that 1) a solar flare occurs, and 2) an experiment is being done at the superconducting supercollider. In the book, this FlashFoward takes everyone forward about two decades, not seven months. They eventually figure out that the reason the experiment caused the FlashForward is that:
Spoiler:
everyone FlashForwarded to a point about two decades in the future where the same solar flares occur and the same experiment occurs. Of course, they're doing the experiment again at the time of the solar flares to see if it will repeat the FlashForward experience. Instead, it links the two times, which is why people Flashed Forward to that particular time during the initial incident.

I'm 99% sure they are going in a different direction with the TV series, since in the book, there was no:
Spoiler:
D. Gibbons (or equivalent) and nobody who remained conscious during the FlashForward.
apparently i wasn't clear enough when i only wanted a yes/no answer if they answered it in the book. damn it for reading that.
Old 10-09-09, 12:03 AM
Suspended

apparently i wasn't clear enough when i only wanted a yes/no answer if they answered it in the book. damn it for reading that.
And apparently, I wasn't clear when I said "This post contains spoilers for the book" and "There is an answer in the book. The answer is:"

(Sorry for spoilering you. I figured I'd give the answer with spoiler protection so that people who wanted to know could read it and those who didn't could skip it.)

Last edited by JasonF; 10-09-09 at 12:05 AM.
Old 10-09-09, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk God

And apparently, I wasn't clear when I said "This post contains spoilers for the book" and "There is an answer in the book. The answer is:"

(Sorry for spoilering you. I figured I'd give the answer with spoiler protection so that people who wanted to know could read it and those who didn't could skip it.)
A yes or no answer would be considered a spoiler for the book, which is why I assumed you posted that.
Old 10-09-09, 12:20 AM
Suspended

A yes or no answer would be considered a spoiler for the book, which is why I assumed you posted that.
Sorry. I didn't consider something that high-level to be a spoiler, but obviously different people have different standards of what constitutes a spoiler. Hope I didn't ruin your enjoyment too much.
Old 10-09-09, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

'So the earth farted and we passed out'
That made soda come out my nose

The Nazi filler was boring.But I have faith it will start to get exciting.
Old 10-09-09, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk God

Sorry. I didn't consider something that high-level to be a spoiler, but obviously different people have different standards of what constitutes a spoiler. Hope I didn't ruin your enjoyment too much.
it's cool. hopefully the show doesn't follow that path.
Old 10-09-09, 06:38 AM
ATX

was that the v spaceship taking a detour in africa?

and those FBI computers are really sophisticated... crow death pattern stats and graph in 3 seconds flat

was the guy that exumed the body telling the truth?

and how is it that Gabrielle Union saw him alive in her FF, but Noh gets murdered a month earlier (and i guess nazi-guy was referencing Noh's murder?)

the fat guy saying "so, do i get a gun and stuff...." made me laugh for some reason; also thought nazy-guy calling ole girl a lesbian was funny

i suspect if she does end up pregnant it's probably gonna be Benford (maybe that is what kills the marriage)

liked where the lady discovered the child at the service... but it looked like he already had a mom next to him and the father was fallen fbi agent...so how does he end up with her?

Last edited by ATX; 10-09-09 at 06:41 AM.
Old 10-09-09, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony

and the instant info on crow deaths around the world, ugh.
I didn't get this. You'd think if there were tons of crow deaths that coincided with the blackout, they would have been investigating it from the start. It was obviously known, since they basically googled it with their supercomputer.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.