Curb Your Enthusiasm - "The Hot Towel" - 10/11/09

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-09, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Curb Your Enthusiasm - "The Hot Towel" - 10/11/09

Larry stopping Sammy from singing at the Ted/Mary's anniversary party

Larry stopping the singer at the restaurant

Last edited by Jack Straw; 10-12-09 at 10:27 PM.
Old 10-12-09, 10:28 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CQPiFN7-gQA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CQPiFN7-gQA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
Old 10-12-09, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Guess i'm in the minority, thought it was fantastic, throwback Curb, LD absolutely killed it
Old 10-12-09, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,096 Likes on 793 Posts

I made a 2 second mp3 ringtone of Larry shouting "Shut the fuck up!" if anyone is interested.
Old 10-12-09, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought the episode was decent until the last 10 minutes were ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS!

The scene at the doctor's house and the "shut the fuck up" had me in tears.
Old 10-12-09, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

LD is very much like Michael Scott to me. They're over the top characters that just get annoying if they're TOO over the top. This ep I thought LD was too over the top. Really disliked him stopping Sammy from singing. It was hilarious that he thought she sucked while everyone else was pretending to enjoy it but stopping her was a bit much.

But he was right about the dinner. Taking Jeff and Suzie was a dick move.
Old 10-12-09, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Hmm, interesting comparison. I like both characters. However, I view MS as a total buffoon who I enjoy watching make an ass out of himself for no apparent rhyme or reason. With LD, he at least usually has a conscious somewhat thought-out reason for his jerky actions. This week, he just seemed like he was being an obnoxious ass-wipe to that singer (who actually could sing in tune) in the restaurant. Whereas, with Sammy who was god-awful, and he was sparing everyone in the room.

Last edited by Jack Straw; 10-12-09 at 11:15 PM.
Old 10-12-09, 11:31 PM
Banned

I don't think LD is anything like Michael Scott. More like Albert Brooks.
Old 10-13-09, 02:52 AM
Banned

I just re-watched this episode and it's much better upon second viewing.

The reason LD stops the singer in the restaurant is to back up his lie from the convo with Ted/Mary/Susie/Jeff. He tells them he hates ALL singers. They don't believe him. This guy immediately starts singing. He shoots him down.

When Sammy starts singing in the morning, she wakes LD up from a deep sleep. That would annoy anyone. A similar thing happened to me. While staying at a friend's place I accidentally blocked someone in with my car. The next morning, I was violently shook awake and yelled at to move my car. I was so disoriented I yelled out, 'shut the fuck up!,' and threw my keys at them and said, 'move the car yourself.' I was kicked out and ended up living in my car. I don't think LD was fully awake until Susie came in the room.

The phone call with Bookman was classic. "Did you hang up?' 'Not yet.'
Old 10-13-09, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by cracksky
When Sammy starts singing in the morning, she wakes LD up from a deep sleep. That would annoy anyone. A similar thing happened to me. While staying at a friend's place I accidentally blocked someone in with my car. The next morning, I was violently shook awake and yelled at to move my car. I was so disoriented I yelled out, 'shut the fuck up!,' and threw my keys at them and said, 'move the car yourself.' I was kicked out and ended up living in my car. I don't think LD was fully awake until Susie came in the room.
I've done things like that, too. My alarm clock is on top of my DVD player and I've smacked my DVD player plenty of times trying to turn the alarm off when it first wakes me up.
Old 10-13-09, 10:45 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Weakest of the season, IMO. Might re-watch it to see if it improves w/ a second viewing.
Old 10-13-09, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack Straw
This week, he just seemed like he was being an obnoxious ass-wipe to that singer (who actually could sing in tune) in the restaurant.
The reason Larry stopped the singer was because he wanted to prove to those four that he stopped Sammy because he can't stand "the human voice" or whatever he meant by that, and not that it was personal. He actually did like the Opera as evidenced by his earlier mention of it to the Doctor.
Old 10-13-09, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Count Dooku

If we're not gonna get the Seinfeld cast, then we need some Leon.
I'd take Funkhouser/Super Dave over Leon (even though Leon's pretty, pretty, pretty funny).

Also, don't quite understand the hate for this episode. I thought it was hilarious.
Old 10-13-09, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HE Pennypacker
A little too many classic SEINFLED gags in this one. The hot towel thing was done better by Kramer in THE CAFE and Larry having the woman switch sides due to his inability to make a move with a certain arm was done in THE IMPLANT. Yeah, this isn't the first time we've seen recycled gags, but those two were one of the more memorable ones for me from Seinfeld's earlier seasons. As for the show, Larry was more of a neurotic curmudgeon in this episode than he has been in recent history. His antics were too over-the-top. Still enjoyed it though. I hardly doubt ANY episode from this season can be worse than most of the ones from Season 5.

I was thinking the same thing. There's definitely been more callbacks to Seinfeld episodes than in the past, but the whole wrong side thing was just blatant Seinfeld.
Old 10-13-09, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat3001
LD is very much like Michael Scott to me. They're over the top characters that just get annoying if they're TOO over the top. This ep I thought LD was too over the top. Really disliked him stopping Sammy from singing. It was hilarious that he thought she sucked while everyone else was pretending to enjoy it but stopping her was a bit much.

But he was right about the dinner. Taking Jeff and Suzie was a dick move.
I'd never make that comparison personally. Michael Scott is just flat out a dumb ass character who is just buffoonish. His character just does stupid shit for the sake of doing stupid shit. Larry is more of a jerky/asshole character that makes comments that most people wouldn't make.
Old 10-13-09, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

I don't think LD is anything like Michael Scott. More like Albert Brooks.
That's weird, because I think LD is hilarious, and I have yet to ever laugh at anything Albert Brooks has done. I don't know why, but I've never, ever found him funny. Same exact feeling for Woody Allen, if that means anything.
Old 10-13-09, 01:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
That's weird, because I think LD is hilarious, and I have yet to ever laugh at anything Albert Brooks has done. I don't know why, but I've never, ever found him funny. Same exact feeling for Woody Allen, if that means anything.
What Albert Brooks films have you seen? Try Real Life and Modern Romance. If you don't find those films funny then your funny meter is broken.

Early Woody Allen films are great like Take the Money and Run, Bananas and Sleeper.
Old 10-13-09, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

What Albert Brooks films have you seen? Try Real Life and Modern Romance. If you don't find those films funny then your funny meter is broken.

Early Woody Allen films are great like Take the Money and Run, Bananas and Sleeper.
Hey, my funny meter is calibrated quarterly, thank you very much. But thanks, I'll take your suggestions on those Brooks titles, since I haven't seen either. It's just that what I have seen of his work I have always found to be very forgettable...not awful, just not funny. As for Woody Allen, I gave up a long, long time ago. Save for a few chuckles in Sleeper I've never enjoyed a single one of his movies. In fact, most I actually hated.
Old 10-13-09, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I'd never make that comparison personally. Michael Scott is just flat out a dumb ass character who is just buffoonish. His character just does stupid shit for the sake of doing stupid shit. Larry is more of a jerky/asshole character that makes comments that most people wouldn't make.
I'll clarify my comparasion. Other than they both have the potential to completely kill a party, I don't think MS and LD are very much alike as far as characters.

What I simply meant was that they're alike in that they both need to be at the perfect level of ridiculous to me. If it's not enough, then the characters aren't being themselves... if it's too much, they're just annoying/awkward to watch.
Old 10-13-09, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Larry telling Sammy to Shut the Fuck up was one of the funniest moments in CYE history for me! I always remember the guys in Deer Hunter singing it, and now I think of Jeff and Suzies daughter when I hear that song!

OK episode, as I always enjoy the actor who played the Doctor, that is Mr. Bookman from Seinfeld.
Old 10-13-09, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah it was good seeing Philip Baker Hall, loved him in Rush Hour.
Old 10-13-09, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Yeah it was good seeing Philip Baker Hall, loved him in Rush Hour.

That's like saying "I loved Philip Seymour Hoffman in Patch Adams".
Old 10-13-09, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101

That's like saying "I loved Philip Seymour Hoffman in Patch Adams".
Heh, or maybe that one movie with Ben Stiller. Hey I don't know much about his filmography, but I liked what I saw anyway.
Old 10-13-09, 09:25 PM

the difference between LD and MS for me - I usually agree with LD, even if I think he should be more tactful at times. At heart, he seems to usually be in the right, and the world is just arrayed against him, with its political/social correctness.
Old 10-13-09, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,026 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by lucasorion
the difference between LD and MS for me - I usually agree with LD, even if I think he should be more tactful at times. At heart, he seems to usually be in the right, and the world is just arrayed against him, with its political/social correctness.
My thoughts, exactly.

That's why I was disappointed with this episode. He just seemed a bit too cruel, and it was one of the few times I didn't agree with him.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.