Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Office -- "Niagara" -- 1 Hour Episode -- 10/08/09

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-09, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Office -- "Niagara" -- 1 Hour Episode -- 10/08/09

Oh, and of course Michael would rather sleep with the vending machine than room with Toby.
Old 10-09-09, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I think the best subtle gag is Creed apparently never changed his clothes form when they left, through the wedding.

I honestly thought the Michael/Pam's mom thing would have happened earlier and caused awkwardness, but the way the last 15 minutes went were perfect.
Old 10-09-09, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Brilliant episode.
Old 10-09-09, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MrX
I've never seen it to that degree, but chain reaction puking does happen.
Yeah, I've never seen it to that extent, but I know when I've seen people throw up I'll throw up if I don't look away or get away quick enough. I know other people that will throw up very easily too at the sight or sound. So that opening didn't seem too outside the realm of possibility to me.
Old 10-09-09, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by the big train
Oh, and of course Michael would rather sleep with the vending machine than room with Toby.
What he said to Toby made it even better:

"You are going to sleep alone for the rest of your life and need to get used to it."
Old 10-09-09, 12:17 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by WallyOPD
Pitch perfect, they really hit a home run with this one.
This. Wow, what a great final act for this episode.
Old 10-09-09, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the best episodes ever!!!!!!
Old 10-09-09, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Enjoyed it quite a bit. Honestly despite others complaints about Jim and Pam, I thought the flash to them running to the boat and getting married by the ship captain incredibly sweet and fitting for their relationship. A great moment.

I loved the 3 Wolf T-Shirt and the wedding dance video nod. And Pam's sister and bridesmaids are hot!
Old 10-09-09, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Pam looked hot as hell in those glasses.
Old 10-09-09, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Holy shit, seeing Fonzie's girlfriend as Pam's mom made me feel old. And for some reason, Dwigt pronouncing Hammacher Schlemmer correctly cracked me up.
Old 10-09-09, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by Drav3n
Best episode ever!! So many hysterical moments! i was glad to see the girl from true blood playing pam's sister... who was the bridesmaid?? she was -worthy lol

i definitely have to watch this episode again...and again.
Thanks for that! I knew her, but couldn't place her.

Overall, an excellent episode.

Jenna is still stunning.
Old 10-09-09, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by esc24
Decent episode up until the end which completely ruined this episode for me. I've never seen that dance thing on youtube so maybe that had something to do with it, but that scene felt so out of place on the office. Ruining someones wedding which they've spent tens of thousands of dollars on by dancing down the aisle to a song that they know the bride put on a do not play list is completely unrealistic. Within character that's something I could maybe see Michael doing, or Jim's brothers since we know they like pranks but for pretty much everyone else it was completely out of character. Seriously, Oscar has enough sense to know that dancing down the aisle is not appropriate. Bob Vance gets pissed off at Michael's antics all the time, for instance at his wedding where Michael didn't go nearly as far as dancing down the aisle, yet he has no problem ruining someone else's wedding. Stanley is the least energetic person in the office and in general always seems to be miserable, yet he's dancing down the aisle like a completely different person. Some of the other characters I could see joining in but there are also some that are just so far out of character. Also, it can't even be argued that they all joined in because everyone was doing it, because that's not the case. At the end of the dance scene we see everyone that was doing the dancing come back down the aisle as a full group, and it was only office workers and the close family members, everyone else was in their seats. Then there's Dwight kicking the girl in the face which is way too low brow for the office. This ending reminded me of the opening of the Superbowl episode where everyone acted out of character and completely over the top just to sell the joke. Finally the whole wedding montage just doesn't work in the office format. It's not something they do so that just felt weird. I don't know I guess everyone here is just much more forgiving when they do these kinds of thing. I personally just feel that a lot of what makes this show great is the characters and how they react to the situations around them, but when they do stuff like this its the situations that are dictating the characters and that just doesn't work for this show.
OK, I know I've been criticizing the show a lot lately, but even I think this is ridiculous.
Old 10-09-09, 02:14 AM
Cool New Member

You would be surprised about the chain puking thing.

When I was in 5th grade, we were in this portable classroom, and it was like free period, or something, and we had food and stuff. Someone brought like...avcados, or something like that I cant remember exactly what it was, but basically...someone snorted like tabasco sauce, or something like that(bear with me, it was 8 years ago) ..Anyways, someone puked, and then a shit load of people puked. It was gross.

And yes, there always is 1 lol.

Great episode, I googled this episode because I wanted to find people who were talking about it, and I found this forum so I signed up.

One of the best episodes ever id say, im about to watch it again, there was so many great moments. And whoever pointed out the creed thing, I DID NOT notice that, lol thats hilarious.
Old 10-09-09, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
wow. the youtube wedding dance parody was brilliant. i couldn't help but smile the entire last 10 minutes.

oh and for those who haven't seen it...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4-94JhLEiN0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4-94JhLEiN0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
I'd never seen that video before until you posted it.

I'd have to say the funniest part of the dance for me was Kevin getting pushed into the podium.

This could have easily worked as a series finale.
Old 10-09-09, 03:15 AM

I love lamp.

Last edited by OscarBluth; 11-09-11 at 12:46 AM.
Old 10-09-09, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Loved the episode. Went in with low expectations because it's episodes like this that don't do it for me (not just the Office, but all series). Usually it's just too sappy and lame but the one sappy scene was punctuated by Andy crying.

A little surprised they parodied a YouTube video but it was hilarious and they once again avoided what could have been an overly sappy scene by putting great comedy in it.
Old 10-09-09, 06:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by esc24
Decent episode up until the end which completely ruined this episode for me. I've never seen that dance thing on youtube so maybe that had something to do with it, but that scene felt so out of place on the office. Ruining someones wedding which they've spent tens of thousands of dollars on by dancing down the aisle to a song that they know the bride put on a do not play list is completely unrealistic. Within character that's something I could maybe see Michael doing, or Jim's brothers since we know they like pranks but for pretty much everyone else it was completely out of character. Seriously, Oscar has enough sense to know that dancing down the aisle is not appropriate. Bob Vance gets pissed off at Michael's antics all the time, for instance at his wedding where Michael didn't go nearly as far as dancing down the aisle, yet he has no problem ruining someone else's wedding. Stanley is the least energetic person in the office and in general always seems to be miserable, yet he's dancing down the aisle like a completely different person. Some of the other characters I could see joining in but there are also some that are just so far out of character. Also, it can't even be argued that they all joined in because everyone was doing it, because that's not the case. At the end of the dance scene we see everyone that was doing the dancing come back down the aisle as a full group, and it was only office workers and the close family members, everyone else was in their seats. Then there's Dwight kicking the girl in the face which is way too low brow for the office. This ending reminded me of the opening of the Superbowl episode where everyone acted out of character and completely over the top just to sell the joke. Finally the whole wedding montage just doesn't work in the office format. It's not something they do so that just felt weird. I don't know I guess everyone here is just much more forgiving when they do these kinds of thing. I personally just feel that a lot of what makes this show great is the characters and how they react to the situations around them, but when they do stuff like this its the situations that are dictating the characters and that just doesn't work for this show.
Wow! Dude, you totally missed the point here. It couldn't have fit more perfectly into this episode. If you look on YouTube, this video has over 26 million views, making it a safe assumption that a large % of the audience knew the reference. With this being so popular, Pam obviously knew the office staff would be planning this, hence her putting it on the do not play list. Throughout the series, one of the running gags is that the staff doesn't care much for each others feelings. Right or wrong, that is the way it is, and in my opinion is one of the things that makes it funny.

This isn't a drama....it is a comedy. Comedy during the wedding was more than warranted. And we even got a touch of emotion in there during the montage on the boat.

And for the person who said Chris Brown shouldn't have been played......the ending would have made no sense.

Oh yeah...Best Episode Ever!
Old 10-09-09, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Great episode. What I like most, was there was no tact on drama about them not getting married, engagement off, or other stuff shows resort to.
Old 10-09-09, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have to join in the chorus, a really solid and funny episode for an event 6 seasons in the making.
Old 10-09-09, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts

What happened at the end - my DVR cut off.

I guess I'm not in touch with the world - never seen or heard of the youtube video.
Old 10-09-09, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I guess I'm not in touch with the world - never seen or heard of the youtube video.
I wouldn't have seen or heard of it except for a thread about it in Otter a couple months back. It's hard to say what I would have thought about that scene if I hadn't been aware of it. It certainly would have lost some of its effectiveness.
Old 10-09-09, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Finally a good episode this season. I was starting to wonder if the writers had lost their mojo. And they managed to sustain it for an entire hour which is rare for non-season finale episodes.

A few random thoughts:

Did they recast Pam's mom? She made a brief appearance in Season 2, but the actress looked different. My wife had to remind me that Pam's sister was the preacher's wife from True Blood. She likes that show a lot more than me. Stupid DVR cut off before the final scene. So Michael did hook up with Pam's mom? Did anyone catch the toaster reference with Stanley? That's the same gift he got Pam and Roy several years ago.

Overall a great episode on par with Season 3(it can't compare to the consistent brilliance of Season 2).
Old 10-09-09, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by WallyOPD
It's hard to say what I would have thought about that scene if I hadn't been aware of it.

It was rather stupid IMO (and seemed to go on forever) when I saw it, but it makes sense now. I thought the rest of the episode was great.

And again I ask, can someone describe what happened at the end?
Old 10-09-09, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

^ I had never seen the YouTube video nor actually heard the song before last night's episode, but remembered hearing about it so I still got that scene and it was still great.

Now after seeing the video, I'll have to try and catch it again.
Old 10-09-09, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town

The aisle-dance gag goes even deeper. Writers really did their homework on this one.

When the group re-created the dance on the Today show, one of the guys had a cast on and went down the aisle on crutches, and then back in a wheelchair (1:45 mark). Andy using the walker wasn't just to sell the scrotum joke:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LFPeQuRirtg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LFPeQuRirtg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.