DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Does anyone else here remember when Mr. Hooper Died? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/562664-does-anyone-else-here-remember-when-mr-hooper-died.html)

CPA-ESQ. 10-05-09 02:28 PM

Does anyone else here remember when Mr. Hooper Died?

I was talking to someone yesterday and we got on the topic of tv shows and when your parents had to talk to you about them etc..

So I said - yeah - I remember when Mr. Hooper died on Sesame Street. I came down stairs and went to turn on the black and white tv in the kitchen and eat myself a big ol bowl of what ever cereal we had at the time.

My mom told me she had to talk to me before I turned on channel 13, and that she had some news that was "ok to feel bad about." She told me that Mr. Hooper died - I think my reaction in my head was kind of "so what do you want me to do with this information?" She said that they were talking about it on the show that day etc.

I think I was kind of indifferent about the whole moment. I just wanted to eat something and watch TV (things have not changed one bit in my life). However, I do remember that moment... probably more for my mom talking to me - than for the show itself. I think her stressing the situation made me overthink the whole thing... like "am I supposed to be upset about this?" "should I be upset...what is the right thing to do / say."

Anyone else?

MBoyd 10-05-09 02:30 PM

Re: Does anyone else here remember when Mr. Hooper Died?

I was too old for Sesame Street by that time, but I remember reading it in the newspaper or hearing about it on the news and being bummed about it.

RichC2 10-05-09 02:31 PM

Isn't this a repost? Or was that a part of another thread?

CPA-ESQ. 10-05-09 02:38 PM

did a search - didn't see anything

RichC2 10-05-09 02:39 PM

Yeah, it was part of the "Last time a TV show made you cry" thread. My mistake.

devilshalo 10-05-09 02:40 PM

I remember Bob talking to Big Bird about it. Explaining what happened and why he couldn't see his friend anymore.

resinrats 10-05-09 03:24 PM

Don't think I saw any Hooper episodes. Of course, I don't remember any of the human actors.

Tracer Bullet 10-05-09 03:24 PM

I vaguely remember it.

Groucho 10-05-09 03:41 PM

My memories are vague as well. As I recall, it was later revealed Oscar carved up the body and dumped it out in the bay, but the actual murderer was Mr. Snuffleupagus.

naitram 10-05-09 04:04 PM

I still remember seeing it; must have been how I "learned" about death or something...

fumanstan 10-05-09 04:17 PM

He died? :sad:

http://marissamarie.files.wordpress....-mr-cooper.jpg

Jason 10-05-09 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by MBoyd (Post 9753077)
I was too old for Sesame Street by that time, but I remember reading it in the newspaper or hearing about it on the news and being bummed about it.

I think I heard about it by hearing how well they handled it on the show.

Goldberg74 10-05-09 07:16 PM

I was 8 when that ep aired. I remember watching it with my Mom and brothers.

devilshalo 10-05-09 07:18 PM

Not sure how long after the original talk they had with Big Bird this is....

Edit: I didn't realize this aired almost a full year after Mr. Hooper died.

calhoun07 10-05-09 07:44 PM

I was in my early teens or so when he kicked the bucket, but I at least made a point to tune into the episode to watch the segment where they broke the news to Big Bird. Rarely mentioned with the most important TV moments, but that was easily among the most important TV moments.

Charlie Goose 10-06-09 08:30 AM

Yeah, I was also in my early teens when Mr. Hooper died, but it still bummed me out since I had watched Sesame Street my entire childhood. I made sure to watch the episode when they told Big Bird.