DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   ANGEL: 10 years ago tonight... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/562656-angel-10-years-ago-tonight.html)

Tracer Bullet 10-06-09 10:06 AM

Re: ANGEL: 10 years ago tonight...

Originally Posted by rfduncan (Post 9754590)
Give it time. There's still Dollhouse to throw into the mix as the bottom. ;-)

It's not already there?

Groucho 10-06-09 10:06 AM

Hard to believe that it was so long ago. 10/06/1999: Never Forget!

JediMindTricks 10-06-09 11:01 AM

wow memories.

even kazaa was brought up in this thread. good times.

i forgot how much i enjoyed this show.

*must resist the urge to buy all the seasons now*

boredsilly 10-06-09 11:21 AM

I say go for it. They're crazy cheap, and you can get them all used for cheaper.

JediMindTricks 10-06-09 11:26 AM

is there a complete set available? or just individual seasons?

EDIT: nvm. i just saw there is a complete set. i'll look into it.

Doughboy 10-06-09 02:41 PM

I remember not really enjoying the first season of Angel when it originally aired. The pilot was pretty good, although I had serious doubts about Boreanaz as a leading man. Doyle was a great sidekick, but then word leaked out quickly that he was a goner after the first 9 episodes. And I hated Wesley on Buffy, so I wasn't too psyched about him replacing Glenn Quinn. I lost interest in both Angel and Buffy that year(the 4th season of the latter wasn't exactly a highlight either). But I did catch the Faith crossover and quite enjoyed those episodes.

That was my initial impression of Season 1. After the next 4 seasons though, I can now say Angel is one of my all-time favorite shows, Wesley Wyndam-Price may have had the greatest character arc in TV history, the Faith crossover in Season 1 are my two favorite episodes of the entire series, and Seasons 2-4 make up one of the best serialized storylines(even if it was borderline incoherent at times) I've seen on a TV show, at least before Lost came along.

It's amazing how much that show changed for the better after its first uneven season.

Nick Martin 10-06-09 02:55 PM

I love season 1 because it was so humble compared to what it would eventually become. Three misfit characters with little in common working together on these oddball cases, eventually becoming something of a family. Each year the family grew larger, more complex, and the progression is just amazing to see.

spainlinx0 10-06-09 07:46 PM

I also was disappointed with the first few episodes, especially being such a huge Buffy fan. I bailed, but then caught up before the first season was over, and I was hooked.

I remember rewatching the first season, and liking it much better the second time around though.

hdtv00 10-06-09 10:32 PM

Christ I can't believe it's been 10 years...insane. And I also agree , I do LOVE Buffy but Angel was a better show there is no real question about it. I miss them both dearly. And I also refuse to watch this new vampire show(as of yet anyway) because I know for a fact it could never measure up.

DGibFen 10-06-09 11:09 PM

I know Whedon continued the story in the Angel: After the Fall (AKA Season 6) books, but I'd had loved to have seen how that would have been filmed with the cast - especially with the changes certain characters underwent.

riley_dude 10-07-09 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by DGibFen (Post 9756611)
I know Whedon continued the story in the Angel: After the Fall (AKA Season 6) books, but I'd had loved to have seen how that would have been filmed with the cast - especially with the changes certain characters underwent.

The characters changing was one of the high points of Angel. No one was the same as when they started. That is rare in TV.

movieking 10-07-09 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by chris_sc77 (Post 9754705)
Almost done with season 1. Hope it gets better though cause I have to say it surely is no Buffy.

Ditto. I only made it a few episodes in before giving up on it. Eventually I'll go back and give it a second chance, but I wasn't impressed with what I saw.

Draven 10-07-09 07:28 AM

Buffy peaked and then dropped off a cliff. Angel started slow and ended on a really high note. Stick with it.

LiquidSky 10-07-09 07:36 AM

Wow! Time really does fly by. I loved "Angel".

madcougar 10-07-09 10:28 AM

Dude, your post reminded me that I have yet to pick up Angel on DVD. :(

The Bus 10-07-09 11:10 AM

I saw a few episodes when it premiered and I didn't see the appeal.

Groucho 10-07-09 11:11 AM

What were you doing on 10/7/1999? I know what I was doing -- watching the premiere of Angel -- live. (This was before I had a DVR!)

Nick Martin 10-07-09 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 9757294)
What were you doing on 10/7/1999? I know what I was doing -- watching the premiere of Angel -- live. (This was before I had a DVR!)

No you weren't, since this thread was started two days ago - October 5, 1999 is when it premiered. ;)

candyrocket786 10-07-09 01:09 PM

Same here :up:

Ended up buying these as well several years later. :D

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/mas_asset...ress06-001.jpg

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/mas_asset...ress01-001.jpg

Josh-da-man 10-07-09 01:26 PM

I remember reading that the original plan for Angel was for the main cast to consist of Angel, Faith, and Whistler. Not sure if that's actually true, or just early fan speculation.

Interesting thing about Doyle's death is that when Buffy began, Joss wanted to include Jesse in the main credits only to kill him off in the second episode, but they couldn't do that due to union/contractual/financial issues. So when Angel rolled around, they introduced Doyle with the intent of killing him off in an early episode. Whether that's true, or just a cover for firing Quinn over drug abuse, I don't know.

WallyOPD 10-07-09 02:00 PM

I went out on my lunch break just and got this date tattooed on my arm so I will always remember. :up:

Nick Martin 10-07-09 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by WallyOPD (Post 9757767)
I went out on my lunch break just and got this date tattooed on my arm so I will always remember. :up:

way to go - getting the WRONG date on there! :D

riley_dude 10-08-09 01:09 AM

Let's all get Illyria tattoos.

JediMindTricks 10-08-09 08:56 AM

forgot about spike. didn't really care for him and buffy's relationship towards the end of buffy.

Groucho 10-08-09 09:15 AM

October 8, 1999 -- Angel premiered -- hard to believe it's been that long.