Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Does anybody remember these actors actually being in Saturday Night Live skits?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 10-05-09, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought I knew SNL since I've watched it my whole life, but I have memory at all of these actors being on the show. Did any of them have some funny characters or were they just little roles on the show?

Frank Oz
Damon Wayans
Jim Henson
Stephen Colbert
Janeane Garofalo
Steve Carell
Anthony Michael Hall
Robert Downey Jr.
David Koechner
Paul Shaffer

I'm mainly shocked that Robert Downey Jr. and Steve Carell were on the show. I have never heard of that before...
Old 10-05-09, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

CBS News Sunday Morning refreshed my memory just yesterday on Shaffer: They showed him playing a band manager introducing the Blues Brothers. They also showed him on stage playing piano for Lounge Singer "Star Wars".

The Muppets were on SNL a lot first season, so there's Frank Oz and Jim Henson. http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Saturday_Night_Live

Last edited by Chew; 10-05-09 at 11:01 AM.
Old 10-05-09, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk God

Re: Does anybody remember these actors actually being in Saturday Night Live skits?

I only remember Downey and AMH simply because 1985-86 was that terrible SNL bridge year between the great 1984-85 Billy Crystal, Martin Short, Harry Shearer, Christopher Guest season and the great SNL years in the late 80s/early 90s.
Old 10-05-09, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Does anybody remember these actors actually being in Saturday Night Live skits?

I'm pretty sure Colbert and Carell are only credited with doing voice-work for The Ambiguously Gay Duo. But I may be wrong.
Old 10-05-09, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wayans, Garofalo, and Koechner were actually a part of the cast, since nobody has addressed them.
Old 10-05-09, 03:59 PM

I believe I saw Damon Wayans playing "Black Celebrity who was in the news this week" in some sketch.
Old 10-05-09, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Palaver View Post
I'm pretty sure Colbert and Carell are only credited with doing voice-work for The Ambiguously Gay Duo. But I may be wrong.
Steve Carell has also hosted the show. As has Damon Wayans and Robert Downey, Jr.

Ben Stiller was also briefly as cast member and later hosted.
Old 10-05-09, 05:26 PM

I remember Stephen Colbert played a doctor in a pre-taped commercial parody in the mid 90's. I think it was the Home Headache Test.
Old 10-05-09, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The only ones I couldn't really remember were Steve Carell and Stephen Colbert, but it makes sense that it was voice work that they did. Some of those people weren't on the show for very long, and the "actor" experiment on SNL (Downey, Hall among that cast) didn't exactly go very well. So it's not like those are the eps that you see much in reruns or getting much attention.
Old 10-05-09, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Carell and Colbert were both castmembers of the Dana Carvey Show. I believe that's where the Ambiguously Gay Duo began. I love that it's on Hulu. If it weren't for that suckling Bill Clinton sketch the first week, I wonder if it would have succeeded. It was pretty well done, but that Clinton sketch was one of the few times I have ever seen an example of purely negative publicity.
Old 10-05-09, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't go chasin' dem dere waterfalls.
Old 10-05-09, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cdollaz View Post
Don't go chasin' dem dere waterfalls.
I was always in the minority of my friends, but I find Gerald Tibbins to be hysterical.
Old 10-05-09, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I really enjoyed that execution sketch with Walken and Koechner's show "The Naked Trucker and T-Bone" with all of it's subtle and broad-ranging jokes.
Old 10-05-09, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anthony Michael Hall
Robert Downey Jr.

Jeanine Garafalo
Old 10-06-09, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Roper View Post
I remember Stephen Colbert played a doctor in a pre-taped commercial parody in the mid 90's. I think it was the Home Headache Test.
It was a different headache commercial from the 90s with Colbert as a doctor. "Excedril". "The most powerful pain reliever available, and there's absolutely no medical evidence to prove it."

Stephen' line: "I cannot recommend this medication. For any purpose."

Other than that I remember every person on that list being on SNL. Hell, half were castmembers. But I can see how people didn't know about Carell, Colbert, Henson, Oz, and Shaffer.