TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Stargate Universe -- 2 Hour Series Premiere -- "Air" -- 10/02/09

Old 10-02-09, 04:48 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Stargate Universe -- 2 Hour Series Premiere -- "Air" -- 10/02/09

Stargate Universe

Trailer:

<object width="512" height="296"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/KZE6zZI1r3-w4xDhS6i0XQ"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/KZE6zZI1r3-w4xDhS6i0XQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" width="512" height="296"></embed></object>

FYI for Non-Cable/Non Satellite Folks:
The episodes will appear in Hulu.com the next day.

Show Synopsis:

A group of soldiers, scientists and civilians, fleeing an attack, find themselves stranded far from Earth on a mammoth Ancient ship known as the Destiny. They must live in the limbo of time and space, cling to the notion of hope, locked on an unknown course in search of home. Now the group's fates lie at the mercy of the ship as they face the challenges of meeting the most basic needs of food, water and air. Through the danger and adventures, some will be revealed as heroes, some will be shown as villains...and some won't make it out at all.

List of future guest stars including some Stargate Alumnus:

Spoiler:

A full list of guest stars follows.

♦Richard Dean Anderson reprises the role of Gen. Jack O'Neill, former head of SG-1.

♦Christopher McDonald (Superhero Movie) plays U.S. senator Alan Armstrong, head of the International Oversight Committee that governs the Stargate program and father of Chloe Armstrong.

♦Janelle Monáe, a Grammy-nominated recording artist, plays herself; she and her band will perform "Many Moons" and "Sincerely," two songs from her latest album, Metropolis.

♦Amanda Tapping reprises the role of Lt. Col. Samantha Carter from SG-1.

♦Michael Shanks reprises the role of Dr. Daniel Jackson from SG-1.

♦Gary Jones reprises the role of Chief Master Sgt. Walter Harriman, commander technician of the team.

♦Carlo Rota (24) plays Carl Strom, head of the International Oversight Advisory, the civilian oversight committee that heads up the Atlantis Expedition.

Really hoping this incarnation is good. Missing Stargate since Atlantis went off the air.
Old 10-02-09, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DJariya
Missing Stargate since Atlantis went off the air.
Me too

I've seen a few reviews and they've been positive.

It's good to have some space-bound sci-fi back on the air.
Old 10-02-09, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Re: Stargate Universe -- 2 Hour Series Premiere -- "Air" -- 10/02/09

Originally Posted by DJariya
Really hoping this incarnation is good. Missing Stargate since Atlantis went off the air.
I wasn't as high on Atlantis as everyone else (still haven't seen season 5) but I'm looking forward to this.
Old 10-02-09, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I wasn't as high on Atlantis as everyone else (still haven't seen season 5) but I'm looking forward to this.
Same.

While I've also heard mediocre things on the pilot, I have heard the show is supposed to pick up as the episodes go on by building up the characters
Old 10-02-09, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk God

FYI, 20 episodes will be filmed for the 1st season.

I've been following Mingna on Twitter and she said they will finish filming this month.

Don't be surprised if 10 air in the fall and the next 10 air in 2010.
Old 10-02-09, 01:58 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Glad to hear the reviews are so good. The commercials are making it look like this:

The news that Janelle Monáe is going to be doing a couple of shows doesn't help.

Still, I'll give it a try and hope for the best.
Old 10-02-09, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really liked the movie but for some reason I never got into any of the Stargate TV series. But this one looks like it might be interesting. Will I be able to follow this series without knowing any of the back-stories from the other series (other than the basic premise from the movie)?
Old 10-02-09, 02:05 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Flave
I really liked the movie but for some reason I never got into any of the Stargate TV series. But this one looks like it might be interesting. Will I be able to follow this series without knowing any of the back-stories from the other series (other than the basic premise from the movie)?
My guess is they'll rely heavily on the continuity established over the 10 seasons of SG-1 and the 5 of Atlantis, but will explain everything you need to know as they go along.
Old 10-02-09, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Given the premise of this show and how both of the other series ended, I'm guessing this one is going to be a whole lot easier for a newcomer to jump right into.
Old 10-02-09, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking forward to this one, especially after I got SyFy in HD a couple months back.
Old 10-02-09, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk God

You will eventually see a few guest stars from SG-1, but since it's an entirely new cast and new premise, I think you should be able to jump in just fine.
Old 10-02-09, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Meh. A little too angsty for me but I'll stick with it because I'm a Stargate fan. There's definitely potential.
Old 10-02-09, 10:06 PM

This really didn't do a thing for me.
Old 10-03-09, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wasn't too impressed.
Old 10-03-09, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

wasn't great but first episodes often aren't
although SG1's pilot was better
I don't remember much of Atlantis's pilot but I think it was better too
Old 10-03-09, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I really liked it, much better than I thought it would be. The tone will probably turn off many people but I was getting bored of the campy feel of the other shows.
Old 10-03-09, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by WallyOPD
Meh. A little too angsty for me but I'll stick with it because I'm a Stargate fan. There's definitely potential.
+1

Obviously they were borrowing very heavily from BSG in the pilot, but I still don't know what the show will be like week to week.
Old 10-03-09, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

I liked it quite a bit. Yes, very BSG-like but that's a good thing. Nice to have another SF show on TV.
Old 10-03-09, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

I sense a more Farscape feel week to week

So anyway I have never watched any Stargates can someone recap what they are about

I always assumed that they were about going through the gate and exploring new worlds but then they seemed to imply that the stargate only had 7 addresses.

So what? The shows were about going back and forth to 7 different places.

Oh and I once stumbled on a SG Atlantis episode and it seemed that there was no stargate at all

So can someone recap what they were about
Old 10-03-09, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
I sense a more Farscape feel week to week

So anyway I have never watched any Stargates can someone recap what they are about

I always assumed that they were about going through the gate and exploring new worlds but then they seemed to imply that the stargate only had 7 addresses.

So what? The shows were about going back and forth to 7 different places.

Oh and I once stumbled on a SG Atlantis episode and it seemed that there was no stargate at all

So can someone recap what they were about
Haven't seen this yet, but as far as the "7 addresses" I believe you are probably thinking about it takes 7 symbols to dial a gate address (with the exception of an additional symbol to dial another galaxy - IIRC), there are thousands of different worlds and I think a couple of different galaxies the gate has/can dial into.

And, I have no idea what you are talking about with that Atlantis episode unless it just happened to be one that they didn't have a budget to leave the studio and kept it all "on base"

As far as SGU I'm going to wait on watching any new episodes until I have about 5-6 eps stacked up.
Old 10-03-09, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmmm ..... the "let's put our problem in a computer game, and recruit the winner" scenario ......... LAST STARFIGHTER, anyone?
Old 10-03-09, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I liked it, I never really got into the previous series, I found them to be too cheesy or cheap feeling.

This one has some cheesy acting and dialogue but its look and overall tone felt more like BSG which I like.
Old 10-03-09, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

I am so confused when it comes to the Stargate shows. I tried to watch the original series but I didn't stay with it. Late at night I'll watch "Atlantis" but not regularly so I'm not familiar with the characters.

I don't have cable but I noticed this new show is on Hulu so I might check it out since it's a new show and I start fresh. If it's good I'll keep watching.

I know one thing...I miss Ra.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 10-03-09 at 11:55 PM.
Old 10-04-09, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
The quick-hit, bare bones backstory:

The Ancients place Stargates all over the universe. Eventually, they ascend to a higher plane of existence. Another race, the Goa'uld, uses the Stargates to enslave most of the galaxy. Earth's Stargate is discovered in Egypt, and the US Gov't uses it to explore galaxy and eventually defeat the Goa'uld. While fighting against the Goa'uld, we make allies with some other advanced races, and are able to use their technology to help us expand our operations off Earth, to places like Icarus Base.
Old 10-04-09, 03:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can't decide yet whether I want to stay with this series for the long haul. I watched every episode of both previous series and loved them, but the pilot, as WallyOPD said, has too much angst-driven melodrama for my taste. One thing I look for in a pilot is something to make me care, or at least want to care, about some of the characters. So far, I don't care about any of these people. When they were discussing who should close the shuttle door, I'm sure we were supposed to be concerned, but it didn't really move me at all.

And, as one who found BSG a bit pretentious, I didn't like the obvious borrowing of style from that series here. I don't really want to watch Stargate: Galactica every week.

Still, the ending showed some promise, and the quick clips from upcoming episodes also look a bit more interesting, with something more to do than watch a bunch of self-absorbed, unlikeable characters lashing out at each other every five minutes.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.