Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Community -- New Series w/ Joel McHale & Chevy Chase -- "Pilot" -- 9/17/09

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-09, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Re: Community -- New Series w/ Joel McHale & Chevy Chase -- "Pilot" -- 9/17/09

Yeah not into sitcoms at all either. I only watch The Office and 30 Rock.

I'm giving it a few more trys to see if it doesn't try to force the laughs down my throat, which I felt alot of this Pilot was trying to do.
Old 09-19-09, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought the pilot was OK and am going to give it a chance. McHale and the british guy were both great, the rest were a mixed bag of mediocre.
Old 09-20-09, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked it quite a bit and look forward to more. I see this show growing on me and getting better over time, and hopefully it gets that time.
Old 09-20-09, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

McHale's hairline weirds me out. What is up on his head?
Old 09-20-09, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

I work at a community college, so I was looking forward to this. But it was terrible, and deleted from my DVR.
Old 09-20-09, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Was this supposed to be a comedy?
Old 09-20-09, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
I work at a community college, so I was looking forward to this. But it was terrible, and deleted from my DVR.
If you remotely like Joel McHale I think people need to give the show more than just the pilot.

The Office, which is my favorite show on TV, had a truly lackluster first season. If anyone based their hatred of show off of the first 6 episodes then they'd be missing out on some of the best television out there.

I'd suggest at least giving it another episode or two. I attend Community College right now and found the show very accurate and funny.
Old 09-20-09, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfly
If you remotely like Joel McHale I think people need to give the show more than just the pilot.

The Office, which is my favorite show on TV, had a truly lackluster first season. If anyone based their hatred of show off of the first 6 episodes then they'd be missing out on some of the best television out there.

I'd suggest at least giving it another episode or two. I attend Community College right now and found the show very accurate and funny.
Yeah I dont watch The Soup, so hes lost on me. I do agree with the first season of the office. Though with so much to watch, this needed to grab me quicker. I will revisit if I hear better things about it, and if NBC doesnt can it.
Old 09-20-09, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

"Basketball" was on the first season of the office, and it had more laughs in any single minute of it than the entire episode of Community.
Old 09-20-09, 03:37 PM

I loved The Office's first season. But this show just does not have anything to laugh about. Arrested Development was another great show right off the bat.
Old 09-20-09, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I enjoyed the ep and am looking forward to more. Chevy Chase just has to resist the urge to do any of his old schtick. You can tell he wants to, but it sucks...
Old 09-20-09, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cdollaz
"Basketball" was on the first season of the office, and it had more laughs in any single minute of it than the entire episode of Community.
I'm not saying that this pilot was better than "Basketball", what I'm saying is that it's not fair to assess a show based solely on the pilot. It can take a couple of episodes to pick up some steam.
Old 09-21-09, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking back, I worry about the premise. A sitcom based on a study group that forms out of the ether because a guy wants to bed a young co-ed?

I think this pilot was fine. The Office was terrible in its first episode, and I very nearly quit 30 Rock after its first episode. The next few will tell the tale.
Old 09-21-09, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had no idea Pete Campbell's wife was in this. But after she opened her mouth, it left no doubt.

And I liked the Bill Murray comments. You know they threw those in there to tweak Chevy Chase.
Old 09-21-09, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts

I loved it. Laughed out loud more than once. And this is coming from a big Office, 30 Rock, HIMYM and Arrested Development fan. Had great one-liners, funny characters, and interesting setting and good actors.

I'm in - one of the strongest pilots in recent memory.

"Either I'm God, or truth is relative. Either way, booyah."
Old 09-22-09, 04:15 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

finally got around to watching this. awful, absolutely awful... only laughed once, and barely at that. I hated this so much that I'm not even going to give it a second chance.

sorry Joel, guess I'll just have to see you on The Soup!
Old 09-22-09, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Main problem I had with it was that everyone pretty much is unlikable. You can perhaps say the same about the Office, but at least there were straight men in Jim and Pam. And it's not laugh-out-loud funny like Arrested Development, which also had a cast of unlikable characters. I guess the main actress is semi-normal, but really, dropping out of college to impress Radiohead, and she's just inexplicably gullible.
Old 09-22-09, 10:55 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm not saying that this pilot was better than "Basketball", what I'm saying is that it's not fair to assess a show based solely on the pilot. It can take a couple of episodes to pick up some steam.
I've seen show's with mediocre pilots that got better, but I've never seen a show with a bad pilot that got good. And I don't know about everybody else but I don't have the time (or the DVD disc space) to sit and watch the first 2-3 episodes of every new show. Some pre-filtering has to be done.
Old 09-22-09, 11:32 AM

I hated the pilots of "Big Bang Theory" and "The Class", but grew to really enjoy those shows. So, I'll give this one a couple more viewings.
Old 09-22-09, 03:22 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

I was worried, jumped to this page and the first few replies I read were positive. Relieved to see that I'm not alone in thinking that it was completely unfunny.

Well, the Breakfast Club lines made me snicker. On reflection, the premise and writing had some potential, but the acting was awful, especially the lead.
Old 09-22-09, 04:38 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know what to make of this show. I found it entertaining but not 'laugh out loud' funny. I'll stick around until 30 Rock takes over the spot and decide from there.
Old 09-22-09, 06:20 PM

Sucked donkey. I won't be back for a second viewing.
Old 09-22-09, 07:39 PM

I'm surprised that the reviews were so mixed. I thought the pilot did a damn fine job introducing the characters and giving a taste of what's to come. There's no doubt shows like Arrested Development, 30 Rock, and How I Met Your Mother had strong pilot episodes, but shows like that got even better as they built on the foundation of that first episode, making all the in-jokes and references worth it for the fan who stuck around.

It might never get to the level of those shows, but as it stands, I enjoyed it. I like Joel McHale and Chevy Chase and I thought the writing was better than your average sitcom, so I'll stick around.
Old 09-22-09, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Was this the funniest episode of a show ever? Of course not, but I think it was a damn fine pilot, and I look forward to the rest of the season. I thought McHale was great and showed some real acting chops.

My only complaint is that EVERY joke was shown in the promos/previews. Maybe that's one reason for the mixed reviews - everyone had seen the jokes already.

The good news is that the previews consisted entirely of jokes from the pilot, so we'll have unseen stuff next time.
Old 09-23-09, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

The only thing that I really got out of the Pilot was that McHale's character (Jeff) is a pretty good bullshitter. Pretty much all of his dialogue with non-sensical bullshit off the top of his head.

We'll see how episode 2 goes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.