Search this Thread

Old 09-13-09, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Mad Men -- "The Fog" -- 9/13/09

Mad Men 3

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

Concern over Sally's behavior causes Don and Betty to act; opportunistic Pete tries to work a new angle into his business dealings; and an odd dream has a strange effect on Betty.

Looking forward to it as usual. I didn't get why Peggy's Mom in last week's episode got so upset that she was planning to move to Manhattan. I assume she's afraid that she will less of her. It was cool seeing the actress who played Daisy from Californication as the prospective roommate. Hopefully she will stick around a few episodes.
Old 09-13-09, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Mad Men -- "The Fog" -- 9/13/09

Anyone recognize the nurse that was giving updates to Office Hobart in the waiting room? It was Lisa Simpson, I mean Yeardley Smith.

Lane and Don are butting heads over the smallest details now. I wonder where the extra $12 Sal spent went? Extra big tip to the bellhop is my guess.

As much as I despise Pete Campbell, he is the most forward thinking person at Sterling Cooper. I knew what he was going to do when he got on to the elevator with Hollis, but the scene didn't end up the way I thought it would (Hollis getting mad and punching out Pete.)

Is Duck really offering a chance for Pete and Peggy to move up in advertising or is he getting back at Sterling Cooper? Something tells me he's going for revenge.

What was Don making in the kitchen when Sally came in? It looked like hash, but I couldn't tell. When he was shown standing there in his bathrobe, I expected another nightdream about his childhood like he had a few episodes ago when he imagined his conception and birth.

When I learned cursive in elementary school, I learned to write the Q to look like a 2. That was the first thing I looked for in Sally's classroom when Don and Betty were meeting with her teacher. Now the Q is taught to actually be written to look like a Q.
Old 09-13-09, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I cant decide on whether Peggy is in love with Don or she simply wants to be him.
Old 09-13-09, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if Don will have an affair with Sally's teacher.

What was up with Don seeing Hobart while both were wheeling their wives, Hobart didn't even acknowledge to him?
Old 09-13-09, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Yeah I thought that the nurse looked familiar, thanks for pointing that out! Good to see Simpsons actors in live action.

And I too was confused about them passing each other by in the hallway. Everything was said to be fine earlier on, so I was wondering about that.

Loved the "Every job has it's ups and downs" line coming from a guy who spends his day in an elevator.
Old 09-14-09, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
What was up with Don seeing Hobart while both were wheeling their wives, Hobart didn't even acknowledge to him?
Originally Posted by bluetoast
And I too was confused about them passing each other by in the hallway. Everything was said to be fine earlier on, so I was wondering about that.
I think Hobart was embarrassed about his behavior after he had a few drinks - getting weepy about his wife and patting Don on the cheek, telling him he's an honest man. Real "I love you, man!" kind of stuff, not the image a prison guard wants to project.
Old 09-14-09, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by zekeburger1979

As much as I despise Pete Campbell, he is the most forward thinking person at Sterling Cooper. I knew what he was going to do when he got on to the elevator with Hollis, but the scene didn't end up the way I thought it would (Hollis getting mad and punching out Pete.)
There is a tendency to expect a big dramatic payoff to any given scene (or a punchline if you're watching comedy) because devoting time to something that doesn't really matter is a waste of airtime, right?

When I saw the scene with Grandpa Gene letting Sally drive, I was expecting there to be an accident which would lead to arguments about Gene disrupting the Draper household. So, when "nothing" happened, I thought it was reflective of real life. Sometimes grandparents indulge the grandkids and rules are bent, but nothing serious comes of it. Of course, now I know that scene contributed to the impact Sally felt when Gene died.

So, now I'm wondering about the end of this episode. Was Betty just tired getting up in the middle of the night to tend to the baby or is this setting up Betty getting a prescription for "mother's little helper"?
Old 09-14-09, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

I wonder where the extra $12 Sal spent went? Extra big tip to the bellhop is my guess.
No pun intended, I'm sure.
Old 09-14-09, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got a very creepy vibe at the end when Betty was going towards the baby. Like she might do something to him...
Old 09-14-09, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by uteotw
No pun intended, I'm sure.
I didn't even realize that until you pointed it out. Aargh. There I go again.
Old 09-14-09, 11:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah it seemed something bad was going to happen during the grandpa at the house time, especially seeing him let Sally drive, but that's not what happened, and it demonstrated the attention that Sally got from her grandfather who seemed determined to make her want more than her mother did out of life (as he perceives it).

Campbell is an ass, but his thought process in terms of targeting a customer base was correct and it shows the gap between the ages in terms of views of race, not that Campbell is an angel, but he is more class oriented than anything else.
Old 09-14-09, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by neale
I got a very creepy vibe at the end when Betty was going towards the baby. Like she might do something to him...
Same here.
Old 09-14-09, 04:10 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 258 Likes on 195 Posts

Loved Don's face when Betty said the baby's name was Eugene. "We don't have to decide that now."

"Integrate them"

"Is that even legal?"
Old 09-14-09, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by MrX
"Integrate them"

"Is that even legal?"
I loved that line.
Old 09-14-09, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by neale
Originally Posted by SexualPudding
Same here.

Add me to the list.
Old 09-14-09, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

Anyone else see the string holding the green bug that dropped into Betty's hand during the dream sequence? It looked pretty obvious to me so I'm wondering if it was a nod to older movies and how those things could be seen.

To me it seems like Betty's tired of the housewife routine. In her dream she mentions she left her lunch pail on the bus and she's having a baby, which makes me think she only sees herself as a little girl and a mother. Her mother tells her to be happy with what she has, and her father calls her a house-cat and states she has little to do (ie. be happy as a housewife, it has it's perks). She also asks the nurse where Don is and states that he's never where he says he is, and asks the nurse if she's been with him. Obviously she's referring to his infidelity, but I it's also that Don gets to have his own life outside of the family, while she doesn't. The end felt like Betty was struggling to attend to her duties as a mom.

I feel sorry for Pete. He can be a prick, but he's definitely the most progressive mind there and he's damn good at his job - even if his people skills need work. He seems under-appreciated there. That's why I like this show, it doesn't paint the characters one way - other shows would've made him a bad person and bad employee (probably only cheating his way to promotions).
Old 09-14-09, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

It was a silk worm (or whatever you call those worms that lower themselves from trees)

What, you thought it was a bad special effect of a magically floating catapilliar?

Last edited by Tommy Ceez; 09-14-09 at 10:44 PM.
Old 09-14-09, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
What, you thought it was a bad special effect of a magically floating catapilliar?
Theres clearly a man inside the Godzilla suit. I could distinctly see the collar of a pink Izod shirt when Godzilla's head partially came off during the fight with Mothra.
Old 09-15-09, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
It was a silk worm (or whatever you call those worms that lower themselves from trees)

Oh christ... I feel like a moron/moran. I'm not up on the insect world... when I see 'em, I squish 'em.
Old 09-15-09, 12:22 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Raul3
Add me to the list.

I didn't get that sense, I thought that she was both mentally and physically exhauste - her movement almost suggested a half stupor from getting up out from a deep slumber, stopping in the hallway, not fully awake.
Old 09-15-09, 12:23 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

What was Don making in the kitchen when Sally came in? It looked like hash, but I couldn't tell.
looked like hash to me too - and with the egg...mmmmmmm, made me hungry.
Old 09-15-09, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I wonder if Don will have an affair with Sally's teacher.

I thought he might have lost the baby. I dunno, one possibility since his wife was empty-handed.
Old 09-16-09, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I watched this episode twice. I think she is going to smother that baby. That's just the vibe I got.
Old 09-16-09, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

Originally Posted by Three Day Delay
I watched this episode twice. I think she is going to smother that baby. That's just the vibe I got.
It is REALLY hard to continue the show after you throw that in there

Long bouts of Post-Partem - ok

Baby murder in the days before feminism, - not so much
Old 09-16-09, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Three Day Delay
I didn't get this at all. What I got was that they were showing the disparity between Don and Betty in their parental roles, how Don didn't even budge when the baby started crying and Betty got up to take care of it because it's completely her responsibility (unlike these days where most couples might take turns), with zero help from Don.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.