Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Bored to Death - New HBO Noir-otic comedy series - Schwartzman, Galifianakis, Danson

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Bored to Death - New HBO Noir-otic comedy series - Schwartzman, Galifianakis, Danson

Old 09-15-09, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are any of you planning on watching this one? It starts this coming Sunday night at 9:30pm and if you have HBO On Demand you can go ahead and watch the first episode right now. Here is the description from Wikipedia:

Bored to Death is an upcoming HBO comedy due to premiere on September 20, 2009. It stars Jason Schwartzman, Ted Danson and Zach Galifianakis Jason Schwartzman plays a writer who moonlights as an amateur detective.

Jonathan Ames, a young Brooklyn writer, is feeling lost. He's just gone through a painful break-up, thanks in part to his drinking and marijuana habit, can't write his second novel, and carouses too much with his magazine editor. Rather than face reality, Jonathan turns instead to his fantasies — moonlighting as a private detective — because he wants to be a hero and a man of action.

The offbeat comedy series 'Bored to Death,' created by Jonathan Ames (author of several books, including the acclaimed graphic novel 'The Alcoholic'), follows the misadventures of a fictional Jonathan Ames as he pursues his quixotic dream of emulating his heroes from classic private detective novels.

'Bored to Death' stars Jason Schwartzman ('The Darjeeling Limited') as Jonathan Ames; Ted Danson ('Damages,' HBO's 'Curb Your Enthusiasm') as George Christopher, a high-profile magazine editor and Jonathan's boss; and Zach Galifianakis('The Hangover') as comic book illustrator Ray Hueston, Jonathan's confidant. BORED TO DEATH was created by Jonathan Ames; executive producers, Jonathan Ames, Sarah Condon, Stephanie Davis, Dave Becky and Troy Miller; co-executive producer, Tracey Baird; producers, Mark Baker and Anna Dokoza.
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KSyIz9_HktQ&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KSyIz9_HktQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Last edited by Brent L; 09-15-09 at 09:34 PM.
Old 09-15-09, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Re: "Bored to Death" - New HBO Noir-otic comedy series- Schwartzman, Galifianakis, Da

Love Galifianakis, and am a fan of Schwartzman as well so I will probably check it out. However, I have not been very excited by the trailers.
Old 09-15-09, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts
Re: "Bored to Death" - New HBO Noir-otic comedy series- Schwartzman, Galifianakis, Da

I'm looking forward to seeing this. There's actually a lot of shows that I want to watch for once this season. This one, Dexter, Curb Your Enthusiasm, and South Park. That's way more than usual for me. There's also shows I need to catch up on that are currently airing like Sons of Anarchy and Mad Men.
Old 09-15-09, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Episode One is also on Amazon and iTunes right now for free BTW.

Watched it today and I like the concept and cast, but it just didn't click right away for me. It wants to be, I dunno, too Woody Allen-esque for its own good (oh, I'm angst ridden, I have writers block, oh she left me, I'm 30 and getting older) and the pacing is a little slow.

I'll likely stick with it for a couple of episodes before I make a final thumbs up or thumbs down.
Old 09-15-09, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I found it on Amazon, but not iTunes. I was bummed...Amazon only lets you download for Windows PC's, and I want to put it on my Mac for my iPhone.
Old 09-16-09, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Tarantino
I found it on Amazon, but not iTunes. I was bummed...Amazon only lets you download for Windows PC's, and I want to put it on my Mac for my iPhone.
iTunes
Old 09-16-09, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I think this show has a promising premise. I'll have to check this out on iTunes later. I'm a fan of the Schwartzman and Galifinakis and I'm willing to give any HBO show a decent chance unless I'm sure that it isn't my thing.
Old 09-20-09, 11:58 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 245 Likes on 185 Posts

Just watched this and the title of the show describes my feelings about it.
Old 09-21-09, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Absolutely awful. Unfunny & annoying.
Old 09-21-09, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Good cast, good concept but just kind of meh. Will give it another few tries.
Old 09-21-09, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by mdc3000
Good cast, good concept but just kind of meh. Will give it another few tries.
Agreed. I didn't hate it as much as some of you, but this first ep just didn't do all that much for me. It's a good concept, though, so maybe it will develop as it goes.
Old 09-21-09, 09:00 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

I heard the pilot was rather mediocre, so my expectations were in check. I heard it gets better with the third episode.
Old 09-21-09, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really enjoyed it. You guys are too hard to please.
Old 09-21-09, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

I enjoyed it, but felt it obviously needs time to get rolling. I think it has potential, whether or not it will realize it will be seen in the next few weeks. I remember seeing the first ep. of True Blood and not being that impressed, but now it's one of my favorite. All shows need time, and I am grateful that this is on HBO where it can actually get the time as opposed to being yanked before it has time to connect on a network.
Old 09-21-09, 05:20 PM

Seems like it will get better once Zach and Ted get more mixed up in the shenanigans.
Old 09-22-09, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

its got a great cast, but i wasnt sold on the pilot. could get interesting though down the line...i hope.
Old 09-22-09, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Needs some work but it was still an enjoyable pilot.
Old 09-22-09, 08:44 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I liked the "detective" stuff, but not the "personal life" stuff.
Old 09-22-09, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

enojoyed it but i'm still not sold on it. hopefully it'll get better.
Old 09-22-09, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thought the pilot was alright, good enough to watch the next couple episodes.
Old 09-22-09, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It was OK. I'll give it a few more episodes because I like the cast.
Old 09-22-09, 03:13 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought it was decent, but a bit slow going.

Thing is, I've read a few reviews that have said the series gets a lot better than the pilot (One review even suggests that you can skip the pilot altogether), so I'll definitely stick with it for now.

Last edited by sb5; 09-29-09 at 02:06 PM.
Old 09-28-09, 01:08 PM

I find that HBO shows always take 2 or 3 episodes to kick in.. They're always slow to start off with.. I enjoyed yesterday's episode much more than the first one.Definitely giving this one a shot !
Old 09-28-09, 01:56 PM

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Yeah I'm also enjoying it. Schwartzman is great in this.

Kinda weird seeing Brother Mouzone as the colonoscopy guy

Last edited by Gunde; 09-28-09 at 02:17 PM.
Old 09-28-09, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

Found last night amusing, but I think this premise might have worked better as a movie as opposed to a whole series. I hope it gets something to maintain, but the whole gag of him trying to be a detective and falling flat will get old quick, even if Jason Schwartzman continues to bring the funny.

Last edited by Dr. DVD; 09-28-09 at 06:36 PM. Reason: spelling

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.