TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Holy Crap! Darabont to adapt 'The Walking Dead' for AMC

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-10, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts
Re: Holy Crap! Darabont to adapt 'The Walking Dead' for AMC

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Wasn't Breaking Bad's initial season cut short due to the writer's strike? I don't think the shortened season was planned (could be wrong).

Surprised this is only 6 episodes -- high production costs?
Not sure the exact reasons, but it works out in terms of syncing with the first story arc, which is the first six issues.
Old 10-23-10, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't remember exactly where the first issue ends but the first ep ends:
Spoiler:
with Rick, alone, surrounded by zombies in downtown Atlanta.
Old 10-23-10, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts

That first episode didn't knock my socks off. I was hoping for something that added more to the genre. It's so ridiculous when the people act like they've never seen a zombie movie or even heard the term before. "Walker"? Just call them ZOMBIES damnit! And please, enough of the weepy scenes. Show is in danger of taking itself way too seriously.
Old 10-23-10, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If your sick of the weepy scenes already then this might not be the show for you. The core of the comic is the characters emotional and psychological reaction to the new world they find themselves in, at least it was for the earlier issues.
Old 10-23-10, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by philo
That first episode didn't knock my socks off. I was hoping for something that added more to the genre. It's so ridiculous when the people act like they've never seen a zombie movie or even heard the term before. "Walker"? Just call them ZOMBIES damnit! And please, enough of the weepy scenes. Show is in danger of taking itself way too seriously.
The odds of zombies being "real" just as in fictional movies and stories is absurd. So in this reality "zombie fiction" never existed so that people wouldn't be like "dude... just shoot it in the head and don't let them bite you." So in this reality people named the subset of zombies as per how they hunt. Depending on what time of year it is, how fresh the dead are and how long since it last ate the zombies behave differently. It actually makes a lot more sense if you stop to think about it.

In the comic book, different groups of people call the zombies different things... walkers, roamers, biters, ect.
Old 10-23-10, 03:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by philo
Sorry, this isn't going to be the brain-dead show you seem to want it to be. It's on AMC for christsakes.
Old 10-23-10, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Sorry, this isn't going to be the brain-dead show you seem to want it to be. It's on AMC for christsakes.
Man I hope not. I can't wait to see this.

-well, I guess i can wait because I am resisting finding it by other means. I can't wait to see it in HD on my big screen TV.
Old 10-23-10, 07:45 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Really enjoyed the 1st episode. I loved seeing a "serious" zombie story for a change after all the recent spate of zombie comedies. I was especially impressed with the make up and effects, and that there's a lot of human drama involved besides just killing zombies. Looking forward to the next episode!
Old 10-23-10, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by xraybies
Really enjoyed the 1st episode. I loved seeing a "serious" zombie story for a change after all the recent spate of zombie comedies. I was especially impressed with the make up and effects, and that there's a lot of human drama involved besides just killing zombies. Looking forward to the next episode!
I hope they stick to that because that's the way the comic is. I saw the zombies as basically backdrop to the human drama.
Old 10-23-10, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Was very impressed with the first episode! I thought the makeup and special effects looked great! Can't wait to see episode 2!

I never read the books, but I have a feeling I might be placing an order on Amazon soon.
Old 10-24-10, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

I thought the first episode was great! Looking forward to the rest of the season.
Old 10-24-10, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Drav3n
Was very impressed with the first episode! I thought the makeup and special effects looked great! Can't wait to see episode 2!

I never read the books, but I have a feeling I might be placing an order on Amazon soon.
There was a massive paperback that had the first 48 issues in it. I guess it's still in print.
Old 10-24-10, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Definitely enjoyed the first episode. Haven't read the graphic novels yet but I may have to pick them up.
Old 10-24-10, 11:00 AM

I really liked the first episode. It will be interesting to see where they go compared to the comic.
Old 10-24-10, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thought the pilot was okay, but I'm sort of over the zombie genre, human drama notwithstanding.
Old 10-28-10, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

So I haven't seen this yet, but just saw an ad for it on Comedy Central. The ad was in HD, and looked great. When I watch it on AMC it will be in SD (I have DirecTV). Not too get too far off topic, but is this really 2010/almost 2011? How in the hell a channel can be available in HD and yet not carried in HD on ANY given provider any more is beyond me.
Old 10-28-10, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
How in the hell a channel can be available in HD and yet not carried in HD on ANY given provider any more is beyond me.
I have AMC in HD on Time Warner.
Old 10-28-10, 11:25 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 907 Likes on 767 Posts

holy f**k balls, only 3 more days!
Old 10-28-10, 11:28 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

I'm currently reading through the Compendium Book one. I love it! I have no idea how far I need to get to ensure nothing is spoiled by the TV series (I want to finish the comics first)
Old 10-28-10, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
I'm currently reading through the Compendium Book one. I love it! I have no idea how far I need to get to ensure nothing is spoiled by the TV series (I want to finish the comics first)
I doubt the first 6 episodes will take you past the first graphic novel. I also think there will be some pretty big changes between the two so I'm not sure how much one will spoil the other. It looks like there are lot of cast additions & deletions as well as entirely new scenes put in to reflect those changes. I'm guessing that the show will start out around 75% faithful and decline from there on as it goes on its own (which the author whole-hardheartedly approves of).
Old 10-28-10, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I read the first 70 some issues in less than a week, once you pick it up you don't wanna put it down.
Old 10-28-10, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
I have AMC in HD on Time Warner.
Sorry, I probably wasn't clear. I meant to say how can any provider justify not carrying a channel in HD if it is available in HD. This looked great in the HD promo, and it will suck to have to watch it in SD.
Old 10-28-10, 10:30 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts
Wondering if the Walking Winkertons are Whisking Whole Wheat Bread

What makes me angry is that I have the SD AMC channel, but my cable provider (Shaw in Canada) only offers AMC HD for an extra $10 (along with a couple other channels...).

I'm ALREADY paying for AMC. Why should I pay EXTRA for AMC HD? It doesn't make sense. Screw you, Shaw Cable.
Old 10-29-10, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just saw a cop of the pilot and thought is was phenomenal. Great acting, compelling characters and stories, and of course, zombies. Is the pilot an extended episode? The version I watched was 1:07 in length.

Also, Chater, and I'd imagine others, have some cool features for this show OnDemand.
Old 10-29-10, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NORML54601
Just saw a cop of the pilot and thought is was phenomenal. Great acting, compelling characters and stories, and of course, zombies. Is the pilot an extended episode? The version I watched was 1:07 in length.

Also, Chater, and I'd imagine others, have some cool features for this show OnDemand.
amc has a run time of 1:30 for the pilot

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.