Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

What should I expect from DEADWOOD ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-09, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What should I expect from DEADWOOD ?

I just got around to watching Deadwood after picking it up in one of the secondspin sales. I have only watched the first episode and I am already hooked on the Al Swearengen character. Nobody else on the show really interests me yet but it's only one episode.

I just finished season 5 of The Wire a few weeks ago so DeadWood is next. What should I expect from the series ? After watching The Wire, Oz, and The Sopranos, I am really impressed with these HBO series. It's almost like I don't even care about shows on basic cable anymore.
Old 08-02-09, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: What should I expect from DEADWOOD ?

To here the word Cocksucker 25+ times an episode. Its a good show, I wish it had could have continued.
Old 08-02-09, 08:51 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 258 Likes on 195 Posts

The scenes with Swearengen and Wu together make the entire series worth watching.
Old 08-02-09, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I enjoyed it a lot, but wish I didn't go in with such high expectations. There are unbelievable episodes, but there were also a lot of episodes that really felt like filler.
Old 08-02-09, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Absolutely loved the first season...looked forward to every episode....I don't really, know what happened about halfway through the second season though.....the dialect became very hard for me to follow and there were so many characters, I couldn't keep the stories straight....it just sort of lost me. I never really watched any of the third season.
Old 08-02-09, 09:53 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

I really loved Deadwood.

That being said, it's a bit like a western version of The Sopranos. There are some amazing scenes sandwiched between long stretches where almost nothing happens. I didn't mind watching Tony Soprano wander around his mansion in a bathrobe, because I knew that sooner or later someone would get wacked.

Deadwood is the same. Something good is going to happen eventually. But it takes a while to get there.
Old 08-02-09, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Axeramm
To here the word Cocksucker 25+ times an episode. Its a good show, I wish it had could have continued.
That would've been my first response, too.
Old 08-02-09, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Expect an amazing series. You're right, Al is the best character, but you will get to know and love many others as the series progresses.
Old 08-02-09, 10:12 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

If you can't trust the recommendation of a guy with an Al Swearengen avatar, who can you trust?

Add me to the people who absolutely love this show. It's amazing. Rich, complex characters, intriguing plots, wonderful dialogue.

As an aside, you might consider checking out Rome when you finish Deadwood -- based on the other HBO series you've enjoyed, you'd probably like that one as well.
Old 08-02-09, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by JasonF
If you can't trust the recommendation of a guy with an Al Swearengen avatar, who can you trust?

Add me to the people who absolutely love this show. It's amazing. Rich, complex characters, intriguing plots, wonderful dialogue.

As an aside, you might consider checking out Rome when you finish Deadwood -- based on the other HBO series you've enjoyed, you'd probably like that one as well.
Couldn't agree more. Along with what you said, I think the intricate plotting for power of the characters is very similar with both shows and possibly why I found them both so engaging.

True, you could say Deadwood was slow at times but for the most part but I never really saw that since there were so many great subtle moments.
Old 08-02-09, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Long drawn out spoken monologues that can barely convey something as simple as "Gimme a fucking whore"

Last edited by Ravenous; 08-02-09 at 10:53 PM.
Old 08-03-09, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also recommend Carnivale, very underrated show but one of HBO's finest.
Old 08-03-09, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Taking at least a minute to say you'd like some pancakes.

/I apologize
Old 08-03-09, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by Fandango
Not trying to derail the thread but this was one HBO show I couldn't get into at all. Just sorta too weird for my tastes I guess and sorta hard to follow at times. On topic though I haven't seen Deadwood except for the odd episode here and there but what I've seen seems like its a quality show. I'm waiting for the complete series to go on sale sometime and will probably pick it up blind.
Old 08-03-09, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Fantastic show, and this comes from someone who can't stand Westerns.
Old 08-03-09, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow - we can say dirty words whenever we want! And we want to say 'em every chance we get.

Even David Mamet shows more restraint ...... it's not offensive, simply boring!
Old 08-03-09, 08:40 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Fandango
I love Carnivale, but it's definitely not a show for everyone, particularly given the cancelation-induced unfinished nature of the story.
Old 08-03-09, 08:42 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by marty888
Wow - we can say dirty words whenever we want! And we want to say 'em every chance we get.

Even David Mamet shows more restraint ...... it's not offensive, simply boring!
They also say the word "the" a lot. Not offensive, just boring. Pick a new word, Milch!

(I understand being offended by the language. But if you're not offended and simply accept that words like "cocksucker" are part of these people's everyday voccabulary, what do you care whether they say it once every day or a hundred times?)
Old 08-03-09, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF
I love Carnivale, but it's definitely not a show for everyone, particularly given the cancelation-induced unfinished nature of the story.
How is that different from Deadwood? I never watched Carnavale but Deadwood was simply dumped and as I recall it, left a hell of a lot of continuing plotlines unresolved.
Old 08-03-09, 05:31 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Easy
How is that different from Deadwood? I never watched Carnavale but Deadwood was simply dumped and as I recall it, left a hell of a lot of continuing plotlines unresolved.
Carnivale was clearly building toward something bigger than what we ultimately got. Deadwood was open-ended, and we were left wanting more information about where these people were going, but ultimately it was not telling a larger (unfinished) story to the same extent Carnivale was.

Last edited by JasonF; 08-03-09 at 08:22 PM.
Old 08-03-09, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well if Carnivale was building to a reveal that never happened, I see your point. That really does suck. HBO dumping Deadwood like Al would dump a body in the pigpen was pretty bad too though... I hate it when shows get dumped with no resolution.
Old 08-03-09, 09:06 PM

Received 1,907 Likes on 1,126 Posts

What I still can't discern, and anyone is welcome to help me understand, is whether Deadwood has a satisfying finale or not. I've seen a few episodes and they're entertaining and well-made, yet the complete series (and even season sets, for that matter) are a pretty penny for no "ending."
Old 08-03-09, 09:40 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

There were a number of story arcs that come to a conclusion throughout the series. It's been a while since I watched it. But I don't remember any unresolved cliffhangers. I mean, it's not like the town blows up and everyone moves away at the end. Many of the characters and locations are real. Life goes on.
Old 08-03-09, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by JMLEWIS1
Absolutely loved the first season...looked forward to every episode....I don't really, know what happened about halfway through the second season though.....the dialect became very hard for me to follow and there were so many characters, I couldn't keep the stories straight....it just sort of lost me. I never really watched any of the third season.
Something similar happened to me as well. I LOVED the first season but had a tough time getting into the second season. I watched just a few episodes and haven't gotten back to the series at all yet.
Old 08-04-09, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dogmatica
What I still can't discern, and anyone is welcome to help me understand, is whether Deadwood has a satisfying finale or not.
There was no conclusion.
http://medialoper.com/hot-topics/tel...ion-screw-you/
Google deadwood conclusion for lots more.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.