Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Defying Gravity -- New Series w/ Ron Livingston -- Premieres 8/2/09 -- Sunday on ABC

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Defying Gravity -- New Series w/ Ron Livingston -- Premieres 8/2/09 -- Sunday on ABC

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-09, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: Defying Gravity -- New Series w/ Ron Livingston -- Premieres 8/2/09 -- Sunday on

thanks
I'm caught up now with all the aired episodes, it was clear a few episodes later that it was in the past that she found out what really happened.

I mainly gave this a shot due to Livingston, it's not bad
Old 09-13-09, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Defying Gravity -- New Series w/ Ron Livingston -- Premieres 8/2/09 -- Sunday on

Well, this gets scant love (could that be because it is mediocre?).
Tonight looks to be the last episode, and we'll be left hanging, wondering WTF is Beta.
Old 09-13-09, 06:34 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by OldDude
Well, this gets scant love (could that be because it is mediocre?).
Tonight looks to be the last episode, and we'll be left hanging, wondering WTF is Beta.
According to Wikipedia, there are three more episodes in the can, two of them scheduled for CTV, including one where the crew learns what's going on, but none more for ABC.
Old 09-13-09, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

According to the futoncritic.com it's been placed on hiatus with 5 episodes left (after tonight) With the Fall TV getting ready to come back in full swing, I seriously doubt this is coming back.
Old 09-14-09, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Really? It's done? Damn. I swear I'm going to stop getting into ABC shows.

Pushing Daisies
Dirty Sexy Money
Defying Gravity.

Fuck you and your fickle viewers ABC.
Old 09-14-09, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Really? It's done? Damn. I swear I'm going to stop getting into ABC shows.

Pushing Daisies
Dirty Sexy Money
Defying Gravity.

Fuck you and your fickle viewers ABC.
I think ABC really looked at this show as a throwaway show to fill a timeslot. The show was co-financed by CTV and the BBC and ABC only made a small investment for the rights to air it in the United States. Serialized science fiction like this is a tough sell to mainstream viewers and being that she show premiered in the summer rather than Fall I think everyone just assumed that the show sucked and was being burned off.
Old 09-14-09, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
According to the futoncritic.com it's been placed on hiatus with 5 episodes left (after tonight) With the Fall TV getting ready to come back in full swing, I seriously doubt this is coming back.
It's gone. The opening described it as the series finale. Apparently, the ending was their (failed) attempt at some "closure."
Old 09-14-09, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was really getting into this show. This still looks better than half the crap that the networks put out in the fall. Maybe SyFy will give it a shot if ABC doesn't.
Old 09-14-09, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by wirebendr
I was really getting into this show. This still looks better than half the crap that the networks put out in the fall. Maybe SyFy will give it a shot if ABC doesn't.
Not a chance in hell. CTV and BBC were paying the bill for the show and even the ratings in Canada sucked.
Old 09-15-09, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Episode 8 wasnt an attempt at closure as all 13 episodes have been shot. Which probably means they reach Venus as a 1st season finale. CTV has moved the show to Fridays (graveyard) due to lack of viewership. I expect a quick DVD release, before both the viewers forget about the show.

Edit:

You gotta wonder why ABC would schedule a summer show to overlap the regular season. With Brothers & Sisters having a firm season premiere, wasn't this destined to be dropped. I am not one for conspiracy theories, but it seems like ABC had no intention of showing all 13 episodes.

Last edited by Ayre; 09-15-09 at 02:20 PM.
Old 09-15-09, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I think ABC really looked at this show as a throwaway show to fill a timeslot. The show was co-financed by CTV and the BBC and ABC only made a small investment for the rights to air it in the United States. Serialized science fiction like this is a tough sell to mainstream viewers and being that she show premiered in the summer rather than Fall I think everyone just assumed that the show sucked and was being burned off.
Interesting. Makes sense I guess.

And going back to my "Grey's Anatomy" comment on this show.... around 2:50 - 2:55

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SpFUbLX3eZU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SpFUbLX3eZU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Last edited by Giantrobo; 09-15-09 at 04:23 PM.
Old 09-15-09, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk God

There was a story yesterday that said ABC has not cancelled the show yet. They just don't have a timeslot for the remaining 5 episodes. I think we might see the remaining 5 epsiodes air on a Saturday at some point.

Even then the chances are extremely grim this is coming back for a 2nd season.
Old 09-19-09, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

CTV aired the 9th episode, and it was a doozy, totally worth hunting for if you watch this show.
Old 09-20-09, 05:16 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
CTV aired the 9th episode, and it was a doozy, totally worth hunting for if you watch this show.
Yeah, I just finished watching it was totally blown away! ABC really screwed their viewers by not airing this episode..
Old 09-21-09, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.

if the reveals in that episode had happened 3 episodes ago I doubt it would have gotten canned
Old 09-22-09, 07:02 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

Fuck, I was really getting into this show. Like Giantrobo, I don't why I bother watching any new serialized show, as networks simply don't let them develop and grow.
Old 09-22-09, 07:26 AM
Banned

Just caught episode 9. At least now we know what the real mission is. Oh, and to ABC, there are probably worse places to end the story than at the end of episode 8, but I can't think of any.

I hope the rest of the episodes get posted.
Old 09-22-09, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can someone please spoilerize episode 9 for me? I doubt I will ever find time to track down this show, but I would kind of like to know what was happening.
Old 09-22-09, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jadzia
Can someone please spoilerize episode 9 for me? I doubt I will ever find time to track down this show, but I would kind of like to know what was happening.
Spoiler:
The crew enters pod 4 and discover that Beta is some kind of "fractal" life-form -- a twisty energy being kind of thing. It is obviously intelligent, and it obviously communicates telepathically. The object is organic, though made out of elements unknown to man.

We get an in-depth backstory of Eve's relationship with Beta which goes back many years to its first discovery in a Peruvian desert. Eve is in Peru on a humanitarian mission and she "discovers" Beta as it calls to her with a simple musical passage that she thought she composed when she was a child.

Ever wonder why they called it Beta? Well, it turns out there are a whole bunch of these things in the solar system and they're all communicating with each other. The first, Alpha, is on Mars and is the reason for the previous disastrous Mars mission. The real reason they sent that mission to Mars was to find Alpha. Gamma is on Venus, Delta is on Mercury, Epsilon is on Europa, Zeta is on the rings of Saturn, and Eta is on the surface of Pluto. It turns out that the real mission of the Antares is to pick up these objects/beings (there are empty cubicles in pod 4 to accommodate all of them) and bring them back to Earth.

A real oddity at the end of the episode: Jen is staring at the object but she can't see it -- she sees only an empty cubicle. Everyone else can clearly see it.

I have to say that after a lousy start and a plodding series of eight episodes, this show is finally getting on track.
Old 10-25-09, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

well,
Spoiler:
they got gamma,and Zoe is burned kind of bad, although she doesn't look nearly as bad as how they're talking. Turns out Paula's dog got hit because the guy her mom was shacking up with (not clear if he was father, step dad, just some dude) was trying to molest her so she ran out of the house and the dog followed her. molester guy then gave the dog mouth to mouth and carried him to the sidewalk
Old 10-26-09, 01:02 PM

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

I agree that the last 5 eps were really strong after a meandering start. Well worth seeking out if you have any interest in the show. I also agree that it probably doesn't matter since the show is dead.
Old 10-26-09, 02:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Fantastic ending to the season, but sad that we'll never get to see how it plays out..
Old 10-26-09, 08:01 PM

I enjoyed the last episodes. It's a shame we won't get more.
Old 11-02-09, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wonderful ending. Still not top notch tv, but well worth sticking it out.

Here is a great article from the series creator James Parriott.

http://www.cliqueclack.com/tv/2009/1...m-the-creator/

“Having the Grey's Anatomy tag] probably hurt the show ultimately. But in terms of trying to sell the show, as sort of a quick pitch … for the buyers, it had to be ‘look, it’s a show in space, but it’s not a space show. This is a space show that’s going to attract women.’ That seemed to be the easiest thing to do. In fact, I don’t think we ever really coined the phrase that it’s Grey’s in space; someone had just said that and we said ‘OK.’”
I happen to watch the movie "Sunshine" last week and it really reminded me a lot of Defying Gravity. It's a darn good movie ... until the last quarter.
Old 11-02-09, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Finally saw the final 4 episodes over the weekend, and while it wasn't must-see TV, it had enough going for it that I'd like to see them traverse the solar system picking up these pieces and seeing where it finally ended up.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.