Reload this Page >

Ex-American Idol Contestant Claims Show is Rigged

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Ex-American Idol Contestant Claims Show is Rigged

Old 07-31-09, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Ex-American Idol Contestant Claims Show is Rigged

I think parts of the show are rigged except for voting.
Old 07-31-09, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Goat3001
It's almost like reverse writing. I think the writers go through all the footage and write out what the best story will be from week to week and then the show is edited around that.

These guys are taped pretty much all day so there needs to be a group of people that funnel through all the crap to get to the stuff that will interest people.
Ok, but that's different than the notion that players are performing according to a script. I think they become oblivious to the cameras and nothing is rehearsed. Some seasons like Africa even had the problem of the players being too boring. They slept all day, and couldn't wander around much because of the dangerous wildlife.
Old 07-31-09, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,876 Posts

There's really no need for AI to be rigged.

The show itself pulls in more money than the artists. Record sales are irrelevant. Each judge probably earns more money than the combined earnings of every winner.
Old 07-31-09, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
There's really no need for AI to be rigged.

The show itself pulls in more money than the artists. Record sales are irrelevant. Each judge probably earns more money than the combined earnings of every winner.
But there's no need for it to be legit either, so I tend to think the votes are dumping into some databank somewhere, the producers glance at the numbers and then pick who they like that isn't too far off from who the audience has "voted" for.
Old 07-31-09, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The voting is not rigged.

It would kill the show if it was. They have some kind of Acct Firm to count and give the numbers (atleast for the final).

If it was rigged there would have been a whistle blower with the facts.

And, Dial Idol for the most part has hit the winners ever week (the last 8 atleast).
Old 07-31-09, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

Originally Posted by Groucho
The producers deliberately backwards-rigged that season just to discredit the rumors.
Any proof that contradicts the conspiracy MUST be PART OF the conspiracy!
Old 07-31-09, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

BTW

Every entertainment magazine, newspaper and TV show would recieve a BONANZA if they were the one that OUTED AI and yet only Janoots figured out the scam?

Puuuu-llleeeezzze

BTW, ABC, NBC, and CBS who are getting thier ass kicked every year by this show...THEY are not trying to discredit AI?

Anyone who swears that AI is rigged are just people trying to gain 'Im too cool for mainstream media" cred
Old 07-31-09, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez

Anyone who swears that AI is rigged are just people trying to gain 'Im too cool for mainstream media" cred
I'm not "too cool" for mainstream...I am, however, "too cool" for a shitty karaoke competition.

I just don't think there is 100% validity to the voting because there is absolutely no reason for it to be on the up and up. Since it doesn't actually matter who "wins" American Idol, the producers can just make sure things go the way they want them too.

I'm not saying that the votes don't count at all. I'm just saying that for it to be completely the people's choice is just as silly as saying it's rigged. So who knows who is right?
Old 07-31-09, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts

This isn't a political election. Who cares if it's rigged? It's all entertainment and, most of the time, the winner is not the one who wins out in the end.
Old 07-31-09, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't swear AI is rigged. I'm just saying if it was, I wouldn't be surprised.

And I would not use the word "singers" to describe the contestants.
Old 07-31-09, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
And I would not use the word "singers" to describe the contestants.
Why not?
Old 08-04-09, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by jeffbase34
If record sales are the motive, why did Chris Daughtry get the boot, and a blues soul man win the thing?
Sheep buy singles/albums from the winner.

After season one, they got smart. If Kelly Clarkson had come in second, her career probably wouldn't be much different. But if that Justin Guarwhoozit kid won, they'd have an easy 300k+ albums from him sold, plus Kelly's. If they let the guy that'll sell more records come in second, they still get a sales bump from the 'winner' just because he won. That fades, and the radio hits (if you can call them that anymore) drive sales for the runner-up. Ruben Studdard 'beat' Clay Aiken, but who had the bigger hit? Who sold more records? It is about record sales (money), but having the best-selling artist win isn't the best formula for profit. American Idol is a business that uses a talent competition to market their product. It's no different than Kraft and cheese.