TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

More to Love - Series Premier

Old 07-29-09, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More to Love - Series Premier

http://www.fox.com/moretolove/
Spoiler:

MORE TO LOVE, the new dating competition show from Mike Fleiss ("The Bachelor"), follows one regular guy's search for love among a group of real women determined to prove that love comes in all shapes and sizes. The inspirational new series is hosted by iconic supermodel Emme.

Luke Conley is a 26-year-old former college football offensive lineman who stands 6'3" and weighs over 300 pounds. He's a successful sub-contractor and real estate investor who has his sights set on building a long-lasting ...relationship.

First off, though I know you'll post, I really don't want to hear the "fat" jokes about these women. The show is about a guy who likes BBWs, and as such if you don't like BBWs then you shouldn't be watching the show or posting in a thread about it anyway.

I don't usually watch dating shows, but, as I am married to a BBW myself, I found the subject matter appealing... as does my wife and her sister.

I thought the show was ok. These women run the gammet of every possible personality. I was picking out the sluts and the shy ones, etc... with very little problem. What I found amazing is how many of these women who are all over 21, have very little or no dating experience. Maybe that's what they were casting for on purpose, so that's the type of girls that they got... but some of them seem to be very confident, and as such should have been able to get some dating experience.

I couldn't believe it when
Spoiler:
Danielle jumped in the pool - at least I think that's who it was

The guy seems ok, though it seems that he may just be scamming for tail... considering how many of them he got to really kiss him during the party. I also find it odd, considering he was an athlete in college, and apparently successfull (i.e. rich), that he hasn't found someone before this.
Old 07-29-09, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: More to Love - Series Premier

I didn't watch it, but I'm glad (for now until fox fucks it up) that they decided to do this with women that are not size 0. I guess, you, gianrobo and me would be the only ones discussing this show. and I'm not going to watch it (don't like reality tv) so I'll guess I'll be reading your thoughts on it if you stay with it.
Old 07-29-09, 11:28 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

What does BBW stand for?
Old 07-29-09, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Big Beautiful Woman"

I watched it last night with my gf and was suprised how much we both disliked it. The women seemed so patheticly desperate it was sad. It was depressing how honest some of them were being about how much they simeply wanted anyone, anyone at all.
Old 07-29-09, 03:07 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The guy just doesn't seem charismatic enough to have a show rotate around him. Also, I sort of wonder about these girls never having been on a date. When they all complain about their "skinny friends getting all the guys", the cynic in me wonders if these girls are trying to go for the same crop of 'hot guys' and have unrealistic expectations about the guys they hope to land. I have a hard time believing the majority of these girls couldn't land a 'normal guy'.
Old 07-29-09, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by BuddhaWake
I didn't watch it, but I'm glad (for now until fox fucks it up) that they decided to do this with women that are not size 0. I guess, you, gianrobo and me would be the only ones discussing this show. and I'm not going to watch it (don't like reality tv) so I'll guess I'll be reading your thoughts on it if you stay with it.
I'm not into reality shows like this either so I won't watch it. But i agree that it's good that someone took a chance on non Size 0 folks for a change.
Old 07-29-09, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I despise reality shows, and, as such, do not watch them. However, I have seen the previews for this one many times over, and am even more unimpressed with it than I am by other programs in this genre.

I would be a bit willing to forgive it, were it not for the lead actor. An overweight male, attempting to fall in love with overweight (or, in some cases, obese) women? Not much of a challenge, as it's not particularly difficult for desperate to latch onto desperate.

Now, were the contestant to be an in shape, "normal" weighted male, I may actually have some mild level of appreciation for the show. However, fat for fat? No.

(All this is coming from someone who actually likes a woman with a real figure. And, truth be told, upon look at the site, there are actually a few on the show who are relatively attractive. But desperation is attractive on none.)
Old 07-29-09, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 722 Likes on 527 Posts

I hope they throw an average joe twist into all of this by bringing in a few pretty women that aren't overweight for him to choose.
Old 07-29-09, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by invisiblegt
I would be a bit willing to forgive it, were it not for the lead actor. An overweight male, attempting to fall in love with overweight (or, in some cases, obese) women? Not much of a challenge, as it's not particularly difficult for desperate to latch onto desperate.

Now, were the contestant to be an in shape, "normal" weighted male, I may actually have some mild level of appreciation for the show. However, fat for fat? No.
When you look at the guy he doesn't look that big... but then it says he weighs 330 pounds! I even commented on it to my wife stating that many of the women are identified as 200+ lbs, but none of them are over 300, yet they all pretty much look bigger than him.

I would also agree with your statement except that he has an athletic background and money, which should all lead to women, and it doesn't seem that he has had any problems on that front. He never said how little he dated or that he ever had problems meeting women.

On another note, I often wonder how these shows and the people involved set everything up? What I mean is, was the show his idea? Did some exec. somewhere come up with the idea and then this guy went to some sort of audition and landed the gig? Or did this particular guy have a blog or something about dating big women and then some exec. took the idea and ran with it?

My main question is "why this guy?", "what does he have going for him that qualifies him for this show?" I guess this could be true for any reality dating show where 1 person gets to pick from a group of other people.
Old 07-29-09, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by C-Mart
I would also agree with your statement except that he has an athletic background and money, which should all lead to women, and it doesn't seem that he has had any problems on that front. He never said how little he dated or that he ever had problems meeting women.
In response to the "athletic background," I believe his bio on the website stated he was a former offensive lineman in college, which is essentially code for "big fat guy." So the athletic element of his persona has been rendered ineffectual.

As for him never stating he has had problems meeting women or dating; there are two theories on that. One is that he is able to lure women in with his money, but once they are hooked, he loses them quickly with his bland personality. Theory number two states that he rarely dates, but does not want to make mention of it on national television. Doing so would make him appear even more pathetic and desperate than he already appears. And most men are not willing to appear as such, lest their pride be damaged.

So take from that what you will. Either way, he is a fat, desperate man who is lonely enough to whore himself out to a television studio in exchange for attention from the public. But, to each his own. If it works for him, and is not hurting anyone else, then I have no qualms with the manner in which he chooses to live his life.
Old 07-29-09, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C-Mart
On another note, I often wonder how these shows and the people involved set everything up? What I mean is, was the show his idea? Did some exec. somewhere come up with the idea and then this guy went to some sort of audition and landed the gig? Or did this particular guy have a blog or something about dating big women and then some exec. took the idea and ran with it?

My main question is "why this guy?", "what does he have going for him that qualifies him for this show?" I guess this could be true for any reality dating show where 1 person gets to pick from a group of other people.
There was a long feature on the show in the L.A. Times a couple of weeks ago. They had a reporter on set for two days. Having a hard time finding the article, but here's the photo gallery from the visit. The captions might answer some of your questions:

http://www.calendarlive.com/tv/la-ca...7.photogallery

ETA: Here's the longer article:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,3957585.story

Last edited by TimeandTide; 07-29-09 at 06:33 PM.
Old 07-29-09, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read a couple articles today about the show, sounds interesting. One guy and tons of women, just not very many. I may watch an episode when it gets narrowed down to the top 64 or so.

In particular, from what I read, the woman who spoke Spanish and had been studying in Paris, as well as the woman in the green dress who jumped in the pool, sounded interesting though I have just read about them, I don't know what they look like. OK, I'm assuming they are overweight, but from the pictures of the ladies that I've seen, they are not bad looking per se, just overweight.

I'm just hoping they don't have dates centered around eating high calorie foods. They can do the show tastefully if they want to.

Last edited by Heat; 07-29-09 at 10:47 PM.
Old 07-29-09, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Fatchelor. There, I said it and now I can move on.

My wife watched this and seemed to enjoy it, but I've had too much of these kinds of shows to watch with her.
Old 07-30-09, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242
The Fatchelor. There, I said it and now I can move on.
Haha yes. I work in the same office that made this show and everyone calls it that.
Old 07-30-09, 09:31 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TimeandTide
here's the photo gallery from the visit. The captions might answer some of your questions:

From that link:
After Mandy leaves, supervising producer Mark Allen coaches Luke on topics to bring up with Tali. Up until this point, she had been reserved on dates and interviews and Allen wants Luke to bring it up with her.
The producers ask Luke to end his date with Tali because he still has four women waiting. They move into the hallway and linger a few more minutes, stealing some more kisses.

“What is going on?” says executive producer SallyAnn Salsano in the control room. “We need to move on. Get her out of here!”
I knew these shows were filled with contrived elements, but geez.
Old 07-30-09, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by TimeandTide
There was a long feature on the show in the L.A. Times a couple of weeks ago. They had a reporter on set for two days. Having a hard time finding the article, but here's the photo gallery from the visit. The captions might answer some of your questions:

ETA: Here's the longer article:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,3957585.story
Thanks. Now we know that he answered an add on Craigs List... for what he thought was a woman... and it turned out to be 20!

It sucks that though the show has wrapped, he has to wait until after the last episode to even see the girl that he picked! I wonder what kind of thoughts can work their way into your mind that make you second guess that decision?!?
Old 07-30-09, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

a couple of things. someone or a couple of people mentioned but dude looks small, maybe is all muscle type thing but he looks small for someone that size. shit, if I had his weight I would be a happy man. dude also seems too cocky but yet answers a craigslist add. there is just something about him that I'm not conviced about. and if he is sucessful, meaning having money, he shouldn't have any problem getting woman. so whatever.
the show has a facebook page and it has pictures of all the constestants and they're all pretty hot but some look older than their age. was it like this on the show as well? giantrobo you should check it out to take a look at the contestants. is in that first link.

Did guy really get rid of the rocket scientist? that doesn't make any sense. And the girl from Israel is pretty hot too, she can pretend I'm Palestanian and take all her frustrations on me anytime she wants.
Old 07-31-09, 02:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thought it would be interesting, but me and the wife just couldn't get into it.

They played him up like this rich and successful real estate developer, but then show him driving an older Trans-Am. And he lives in Santa Maria CA, not exactly baller status..

In any event, it's doubtful we'll keep watching. I found The Cougar more entertaining than this mess..