Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

True Blood -- "Hard-Hearted Hannah" -- 07/26/09

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

True Blood -- "Hard-Hearted Hannah" -- 07/26/09

Old 07-31-09, 06:43 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Re: True Blood -- "Hard-Hearted Hannah" -- 07/26/09

Finally got around to watching this -- what a great episode. I hope MaryAnn soon gets what's coming for her. Also, kudos to creative team for playing that Stones tune on the car stereo during Kara and Eggs' detour.
Old 07-31-09, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Spoiler:
Yeah I read that on Wiki while looking up the books. I think the cover of one of the books has Sookie between and dark haired Vampire and a Blonde one. I assumed it was Erik when saw that.

So Sookie eventually falls for Erik huh? Does she really fall for him or is it one of her, "I'm mad at Bill so I'm open to others" moments like she had with Sam?
really, truly falls for him.
Old 08-01-09, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Finally got around to watching this -- what a great episode. I hope MaryAnn soon gets what's coming for her. Also, kudos to creative team for playing that Stones tune on the car stereo during Kara and Eggs' detour.
"Dead Flowers" is a great song. They had another great car-song moment last season with Ryan Adams' "Two" in the episode in which Sam and Sookie go on their one and only date.
Old 08-01-09, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 345 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Spoiler:
Yeah I read that on Wiki while looking up the books. I think the cover of one of the books has Sookie between a dark haired Vampire and a Blonde one. I assumed it was Erik when saw that.

So Sookie eventually falls for Erik huh? Does she really fall for him or is it one of her, "I'm mad at Bill so I'm open to others" moments like she had with Sam?
Spoiler:
Book Sookie is a lot easier to take than the one on the tv show, but she does really fall for Eric and he for her. Bill becomes a supporting character, which I don't see them ever doing on the show.

The last book left an opening for Bill to come back more fully into Sookie's life. Not to be a total shipper, but I so hope that doesn't happen (book Eric is funny with a joie de vivre you don't see on the tv version, and book Bill is kind of a jerk).
Old 08-01-09, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Caught the replay a few nights ago and I agree, best ep so far this season.

Surprised to see Tara get "Black-eyed" in the end. I wanted to see how much of a fight she put up to try to resist it!
Old 08-01-09, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by tasha99
Spoiler:
Book Sookie is a lot easier to take than the one on the tv show, but she does really fall for Eric and he for her. Bill becomes a supporting character, which I don't see them ever doing on the show.

The last book left an opening for Bill to come back more fully into Sookie's life. Not to be a total shipper, but I so hope that doesn't happen (book Eric is funny with a joie de vivre you don't see on the tv version, and book Bill is kind of a jerk).

Wow. That's interesting.
Old 08-01-09, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

It took 6 eps for Jason to bang the preacher's wife. lost that bet.

Thought Maryann's creepy orgies would be Sam's thing with everyone going doggy-style. What Rite Aid employee will Mama Thornton get to exorcise that black-eyed demon out of Tara?

Another all-around great ep! Maybe needed more Pam and Jessica/Hoyt (why can't he at the very least get a prepaid phone?)
Old 08-01-09, 09:56 PM

So what's a shipper? I've seen it mentioned twice in this thread and haven't been able to figure it out.
Old 08-01-09, 10:10 PM

Found it. I've don't think I've ever heard the term used before or at least paid attention if I did.

From wikipedia
Shipping, derived from the word "relationship", is a general term for fans' emotional and/or intellectual involvement with the ongoing development of romance in a work of fiction. Though technically applicable to any such involvement, it refers chiefly to various related social dynamics observable on the Internet, and is seldom used outside of that context.

Shipping can involve virtually any kind of relationship — from the well-known and established, to the ambiguous or those undergoing development, and even to the highly improbable and the blatantly impossible. People involved in shipping (or shippers) assert that the relationship does exist, will exist, or simply that they would like it to exist.
Old 08-01-09, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 345 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Super J
So what's a shipper? I've seen it mentioned twice in this thread and haven't been able to figure it out.
Shippers are the fans who get totally caught up and invested in one relationship over all others. They have wallpapers like this on their computer:

They also get into long bulletin board discussions about which ship is better, even after anyone else would think such a conversation has gotten repetitive and boring.
Old 08-01-09, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always thought that shipper was short for worshipper. I knew it applied to relationships but never thought it came from that word. I always thought of it as in "I am a Buffy-Spike worshipper" ie they are my favorite couple on the show.
Old 08-02-09, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,876 Posts

Yeah, "shippers" are obsessive fans of particular relationships.

If you're not careful, they can take over message boards. I remember seeing a number of these loons on some Buffy boards... someone would mention the time Spike tried to rape Buffy, and you'd immediately have about fifteen "Spuffies" throwing tantrums. Or if someone mentioned Angel in a positive way, they'd also pitch a fit. (Some places, like Whedonesque, don't allow "shipping.")

Lost also attracts a fair amount of these... Jaters, Skaters, Jawyers... and, by God, the Skaters (Sawyer/Kate) absolutely hate Jack and start whining whenever he's mentioned.

And, unfortunately, it sometimes seems like the writers of some our favorite shows try to cater to these nutjobs. Which is why I'm sort of concerned about True Blood going down this path with Eric and Sookie.
Old 08-02-09, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

I remember 'shippers' from the old days of X-Files. First time I heard of it. They are fucking insane
Old 08-02-09, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Super J
Found it. I've don't think I've ever heard the term used before or at least paid attention if I did.
Never heard of it until now.