Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

So You Think You Can Dance (S5) - "The Top 8" & "100th Episode" (7/22-23/09)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who should go home this week? (Pick one guy and one girl)
Janette Manrara (SALSA)
12.50%
Jeanine Mason (CONTEMPORARY)
6.25%
Kayla Radomski (CONTEMPORARY/JAZZ)
31.25%
Melissa Sandvig (CLASSICAL BALLET)
50.00%
Brandon Bryant (CONTEMPORARY)
0%
Jason Glover (CONTEMPORARY LYRICAL)
18.75%
Evan Kasprzak (BROADWAY)
75.00%
Ade Obayomi (CONTEMPORARY)
6.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-21-09, 08:02 PM

Received 835 Likes on 546 Posts

"The Top 8" - Wednesday, July 22 - 8/7c - 2 hours

The top 8 dancers perform on SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE, the series that has America on its feet. Dancers must impress the TV audience with their moves and rigorous routines in order to get the votes needed to remain in the competition.

"Results Show / Milestone 100th Episode" - Thursday, July 23 - 9/8c - 1 hour

Two of the final 8 dancers are eliminated. The Tyce DioOrio Broadway tribute to Judy Garland featuring Katie Holmes will air tonight. She’s donating her performance fee to the foundation.

Other treats include:
Spoiler:
  • Hok Konishi and Jamie Goodwin perform Wade Robson’s Hummingbird piece.
  • Dancers from season two perform Wade’s Ramalama dance... and Wade also performs in the piece himself!
  • (Rumored) Travis Wall and Heidi Groskreutz perform Mia Michael’s Bench piece.
  • (Rumored) Mark Kanemura and Joshua Allen perform a piece with Katie Holmes, choreographed by Tyce Diorio.

Your "Top 8" America!!!!!

Jeanine Mason
CONTEMPORARY
Kayla Radomski
CONTEMPORARY/JAZZ
Janette Manrara
SALSA
Melissa Sandvig
CLASSICAL BALLET

Evan Kasprzak
BROADWAY
Jason Glover
CONTEMPORARY LYRICAL
Brandon Bryant
CONTEMPORARY
Ade Obayomi
CONTEMPORARY

Last edited by Goldberg74; 07-21-09 at 08:23 PM.
Old 07-21-09, 08:06 PM

Re: So You Think You Can Dance (S5) - "The Top 8" & "100th Episode" (7/22-23/09)

... and yes, the poll is for "Who should go home this week?"

I remembered this time.
Old 07-21-09, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: So You Think You Can Dance (S5) - "The Top 8" & "100th Episode" (7/22-23/09)

Great that Fox is not showing Obama.

I think Melissa and Ade will leave this week.
Old 07-22-09, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"should", meaning who we think will go home? Or "should", meaning who we ought to go home?
Old 07-22-09, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Heat
"should", meaning who we think will go home? Or "should", meaning who ought to go home?
The latter.

Right now, I would say Melissa and Ade... but I'm going to wait to vote until after I see the performances. It's going to be tricky (they're all quite talented).

Last edited by Goldberg74; 07-22-09 at 11:16 AM.
Old 07-22-09, 11:19 AM

Spoilers for tonight's couples and performances (there are two dances per couple)... and one couple is reunited:

Spoiler:
Couples:
  • Melissa and Ade - Contemporary (Tyce Diorio), Cha Cha (Tony Meredith & Melanie LaPatin)
  • Jeanine and Brandon - Pop Jazz (Laurie Ann Gibson), Waltz (Hunter Johnson)
  • Kayla and Jason - Broadway (Tyce Diorio), Hip hop (Shane Sparks)
  • Janette and Evan - Jazz (Sonya Tayeh), Rumba (Tony Meredith & Melanie LaPatin)
Old 07-22-09, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,120 Likes on 1,632 Posts

It's gonna be really tough at this point to decide on a girl going home...
Old 07-22-09, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 169 Likes on 130 Posts

I'm not going to be happy if Ade goes home. Couldn't believe he was even in the bottom 2 last week.
Old 07-22-09, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amazing draw week for janette

A partner her size

A fan fav choreographer
and latin to boot
Old 07-22-09, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Timber
I'm not going to be happy if Ade goes home. Couldn't believe he was even in the bottom 2 last week.
Me too! I was shocked! He would be my guy winner out of all the guys left. I thought he has been amazing in everything he has done.
The girls are the tough call for me.
Old 07-22-09, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Janette is gonna be the Chesie of this season - good but not good enough to win. I expect Melissa and Evan to be gone this week. I think they are the weakest from the group.
Old 07-22-09, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,120 Likes on 1,632 Posts

I think Evan should be gone from the guys, but he seems to be tremendously popular with the voters, as he hasn't been in the bottom 2 yet, right?

Also, with all the hype going into this 100th episode, Katie Holmes has to put on a killer performance, especially going (I assume) after all the other stuff (the repeat performances from returning contestants, etc). Did she have a dancing background before her acting career or something?
Old 07-22-09, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 762 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
Great that Fox is not showing Obama.

I think Melissa and Ade will leave this week.
It must be a local thing because my Fox channel showed Obama and then went to the episode already in progress. Of course, no one is answering the phone at the station to tell if they are going to show the full episode at a later time this evening. Frustrating!

Anyone know if the SYTYCD website show full eps, with judges' comments and all that?
Old 07-22-09, 09:05 PM

So you think you have tits? - Jeanette , plus Melissa's see-through costume... nice...

I think Evan will be gone, and for the girls it's between Kayla and Jeanette.
Old 07-22-09, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 762 Likes on 493 Posts

I can now answer my own question about the website: they don't have the episodes on there.

It pisses me off when my shows get preempted! It pisses me off even more when it seems apparent that most people didn't get their Fox networking preempted.

And what makes me even more mad is that my local Fox channel has quit showing anything in HD since the digital transition. Thanks a lot!

Last edited by clckworang; 07-22-09 at 09:14 PM.
Old 07-22-09, 09:15 PM

Wow!

Ade and Melissa's routine by Tyce was wonderful. When they showed them before commercial, I turned to my wife and said, "it's going to be a 'cancer' routine... look at her head scarf."

It was brilliant.

But, in spite of that... Melissa is the girl that will go home (the other three are too popular).

On the guys' side, I would like to see Jason go home tomorrow, but I think Evan has dropped his last hat.

Great Dances (Quite memorable):
Melissa and Ade - Contemporary (Tyce Diorio)
Kayla and Jason - Hip hop (Shane Sparks)
Janette and Evan - Rumba (Tony Meredith & Melanie LaPatin)

Okay Dances (They were okay):
Jeanine and Brandon - Pop Jazz (Laurie Ann Gibson)
Janette and Evan - Jazz (Sonya Tayeh)

Crap Dances (Don't remember them):
Melissa and Ade - Cha Cha (Tony Meredith & Melanie LaPatin)
Kayla and Jason - Broadway (Tyce Diorio)
Jeanine and Brandon - Waltz (Hunter Johnson)
Old 07-22-09, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 169 Likes on 130 Posts

I wonder if the Hip Hop curse will continue this season? Shane and even NappyTabs have gotten a lot of there routines in the bottom 3 and voted off this season.
Old 07-22-09, 09:26 PM

Evans solo's are really very good. It is when he dances a couples dance that he loses it for me. His personality stays the same in almost every dance, and I've yet to find any chemistry with anyone believable. I think it is his time to go.

The girls are amazing. They each had one really strong routine. Nigel was right, the first half of the show was really flat.

Melissa and Ade's number took my breath away. That has always been a favorite song to see a dance number choreographed too. It was beyond anything I have ever experienced on this show. Perhaps because I am a survivor and it hit a raw nerve with me. If I could dance a number about my experience, I would love to be able to dance that one to that song. It said it all. It will remain with me forever. Melissa has been one of my favorite dancers, and I cant pick who I will think will go home, but as much as I enjoy Jeanette I think I will miss her the least, so I'm wanting her to go. I just dont think it will be her, I'm afraid it will be Melissa, and if it is, I'm glad that number was her swan song.

Ellen was enjoyable, although I couldnt figure out why she was on the judges panel, until she said she just wanted to see a taping and those were the best seats.
Old 07-22-09, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Janette and Evan - Jazz, Rumba - Their Jazz routine was okay, and their Rumba was a little too slow and not as smouldering as I like, but Evan is still out of his element, and never seems believable in any dance style outside of his own. Janette did well, but had a better rumba number.

Jeanine and Brandon - Waltz, Pop Jazz - Didn't think their waltz was as bad as the judges thought, but it did feel a little heavy and slow. Their second number was much more entertaining and energetic, but Jeanine was a little off in spots, while Brandon just breezed through it.

Melissa and Ade - Cha Cha, Contemporary - Didn't like their Cha Cha because none of it felt right because neither got some of the basic steps of the dance right, so it just looked off throughout most of the routine. Their contemporary number was flat-out one of the best expression of emotions-through-dance that has ever graced the SYTYCD stage, and it moved me to tears. I just wasn't expecting that quality of movement and grace in a dance on this show, but it just set the bar truly high for others in future seasons.

Kayla and Jason - Broadway, Hip hop - Overall, I think they had the best night as a pairing with consistently entertaining dance routines and nailing both of them. Other pairings were either good/great, or good/good, but they were great in each, while showcasing both dancers' strengths within each number.

Sadly, a guy and a girl is going home, I think it'll be Jason or Evan going home, and either Jeanine or Janette on the girls side, but it would be terrible if Melissa got sent home after her last dance with Ade. I'd be floored if Kayla or Brendan left tomorrow night.

I found myself agreeing with most of Mia's sentiments, she really was the surprise on the judges panel for me because she's usually far too snarky to enjoy her comments, though Ellen did deliver some good comedy bits throughout.

Last edited by Patman; 07-22-09 at 09:46 PM.
Old 07-22-09, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I thought:
Cha-cha lacked energy, but melissa-ade 2nd dance was good.
Rumba had passion but needed more. Didn't really like the jazz.
Waltz was meh, pop-jazz was ok.
broadway and hip-hop were ok.

Brandon had the best solo. Jason and Ade's solos were good, Evan's wasn't as good.

Girls' solos were all good but not great.

Didn't like the group dance.

Still say Melissa will leave. Maybe Jason and Brandon will get more of Evan's votes to save Ade.
Old 07-22-09, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by magiccmom
Melissa and Ade's number took my breath away. That has always been a favorite song to see a dance number choreographed too.
My only quibble is that I wish they had used the original Kate Bush version - I think it would have been even more powerful in the female voice.
Old 07-23-09, 12:10 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Janette was dependable but meh for me tonight. Frankly she sort of bored me tonight, which admittedly isn't helped by getting middle-of-the-round routines. It was sort of ballsy of her to do a contemporary-style solo, not sure if that was a good idea or not. Evan tries hard but is clearly the weakest guy of the bunch. I hope he doesn't keep getting through based on his charm.

Jason and Kayla were good tonight. The Sparks zombie thing was fun, but I think got a raw deal being placed right after Tyce's routine. Neither really individually wowed me tonight, though.

I loved Brandon and Jeanine's pop jazz routine. It actually felt like a hip hop routine to me, and I think it was probably one of my top 5 of the season, even though Jeanine was a few steps off at times. Their solos were my favorites of the group, as well. Can't say I remember much about their other routine.

Ade is a powerhouse. He has that perfect combo of grace and masculinity in his movement. Melissa, I just love her, but her Latin moves were lacking that 'snap' tonight. But that contemporary number... wow. While she's maybe not the overall best girl left, I actually find her the most interesting for some reason. I think Melissa at her best is better than any of the other girls at their best, but she doesn't quite have the breadth of skill as the other girls.
Old 07-23-09, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have to disagree on the cancer dance - I thought it was very, I dunno, can't think of the word, but I thought it was in poor taste and couldn't understand the judges falling all over themselves to say that cancer is bad and dance is good. Not in those words but close.

Now the zombie dance, that was one of the best dances I've seen this year.

And Ellen DeGeneres - I actually liked her commentary on the show. I would watch Nigel and her commentaries, then skip over Mary & Mia's commentaries.
Old 07-23-09, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Heat
I have to disagree on the cancer dance - I thought it was very, I dunno, can't think of the word, but I thought it was in poor taste and couldn't understand the judges falling all over themselves to say that cancer is bad and dance is good. Not in those words but close.

Now the zombie dance, that was one of the best dances I've seen this year.

And Ellen DeGeneres - I actually liked her commentary on the show. I would watch Nigel and her commentaries, then skip over Mary & Mia's commentaries.
Did you think it was exploitive?

I didnt, a choreographer always has a story to tell, and this was his story based on a friend of his who is fighting this disease. I think a choreographer sees dance in everything, and it makes sense to me. In fact, I'm surprised we have not seen it sooner.

And I dont think any of those other guys could have pulled that dance off, especially Evan. I think Kayla, and Janine could have done a great job with it also, but Melissa was captivating in her movement. Dont think Jeanette would have connected with me on that dance.
Old 07-23-09, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
I can now answer my own question about the website: they don't have the episodes on there.

It pisses me off when my shows get preempted! It pisses me off even more when it seems apparent that most people didn't get their Fox networking preempted.

And what makes me even more mad is that my local Fox channel has quit showing anything in HD since the digital transition. Thanks a lot!
link to the performances plus judge's comments

it's not in HD however, more like youtube quality.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.