Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Simpsons (Reverse) Sheep — "Sex Cauldron? I thought they closed that place down!"

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Simpsons (Reverse) Sheep — "Sex Cauldron? I thought they closed that place down!"

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-09, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Never played before? Here's some praise for the game:
Spoiler:

"These things are the most fun way to waste time at work since GemCraft." - maxfisher

"This is the most stirring display of gallantry and sportsmanship since Mountbatten gave India back to the Punjabs." - wishbone

"These have been really fun." - Tracer Bullet

"I would like to take this opportunity to thank The Bus for quite possibly the funniest commentary of any of the sheep games." - orangecrush18

Rules

• The object of the game is to out-think everyone by picking answers to questions that are the most common (Sheep) or least common (Reverse Sheep), but still correct.
  • Example Sheep question: "Name an extended member of the Simpson family." A good answer might be Grandpa Simpson and a bad answer might be Herbert Powell.
  • Example Reverse Sheep question: "Name someone shown in the opening sequence." Bart Simpson might be a bad answer, but Mr. Dewey Largo might be a good answer. (Unless everyone is trying to go as obscure as possible).
  • Sheep scores are tallied as negative numbers. Reverse Sheep scores are tallied as positive numbers. The lowest score wins.
  • The answers to each question are tallied up. Wrong answers in Reverse Sheep are scored two points above the most common answer. This penalty is multiplied by the Lightning Round Multiplier. Wrong answers in Sheep are not penalized.
  • Certain rounds are considered Lightning Rounds (designated by a multiplier, such as ×2). In these rounds, scores are adjusted by the number on the multiplier. A wrong answer still gets a +4 penalty in a ×2 round and a +6 penalty in a ×3 round, and so on. In a sheep round, a wrong answer scores normally.
  • You may not cheat by using Google, Wikipedia, SNPP, etc. Use only what's in your head, with the exception of questions followed by a √ Check. (None in this game).
  • Please send in your answers to me via PM. Place only one answer per line, without numbers or the question itself. Those who do not do this will be penalized 10 points right off the bat.
  • For your convenience, I've made an Excel file where you can prepare your answers. When finished, just select the column of answers and send that in as text via PM. Don't email me the Excel file, that would be silly. (Google version here).
  • Note: Be creative with your answers, but don't be stupid.
  • Sheep questions are marked by an S:, Reverse Sheep questions are marked by an R:.
  • Unique Bonus: Reverse Sheep questions will generate additional bonus (negative) points if there are less than 6 people with unique answers according to the following:
    1 Unique is awarded -15
    2 Uniques are awarded -10 each
    3 Uniques are awarded -6 each
    4 Uniques are awarded -3 each
    5+ Uniques are awarded -1 each
  • Poor Man's Bonus: If you are in the bottom 50% (rounded up) and you get a Unique Bonus, you get an additional -2. If you are in the bottom 25% (rounded up) and you get a Unique Bonus, you get an additional -3, for a total of -5 extra.
  • NEW! Cromulent Questions. Some questions, marked as C:, are perfectly Cromulent, and are designed to embiggen the scores of some players. Think of them as a Sheep / Reverse Sheep hybrid. The most common answer is scored via Reverse rules. All other answers are scored via Sheep rules. Example below:
    Spoiler:

Suppose the question is as follows:

C: Name a color.

And the answers were:

The Boss, Harpo, FasonJ, grapefanta18: Blue
    greendayispunk93, ChinatownWarsCorvin, Road Dog: Red
    VenVoga, Pharoahe: Yellow
    Venusian: Black

Answers are scored as follows:
    Blue: +4
    Red: -3
    Yellow: -2
    Black: 0

The bottom line is you want an answer that is common, but not too common. As in Sheep, there are no wrong answers, although wrong answers are likely to give you no points.

1. S: Name one of Homer's vices.
  2. S: Name a state the Simpsons have lived in.
  3. S: Name a foreign country visited by at least one of the Simpsons.
  4. R: Name a job that Marge Simpson held or a business she started. Stupid answers like stay-at-home-mom will be thrown out.
  5. R: List a Springfield radio or TV personality, past or present.
  6. S: Aside from Moe, Homer, or Barney, list someone who is at Moe's often.
  7. R: Name a movie that Rainier Wolfcastle has appeared in. This could be a movie that was filmed, or shown in theaters, or that a character had mentioned.
  8. C: Name a character employed by the Springfield public school system who has appeared in more than one episode.
  9. S: Name a character that Lisa had a crush on or was romantically involved with.
  10. R: Name one of the Springfield Elementary bullies or one of the members of the Springfield Mafia.
  11. R: ×2 Name a Simpsons video game that was released for a Microsoft, Nintendo, Sega, or Sony console. That is, no handhelds, mobile games, PC games, etc.
  12. R: ×2 Name a primary or recurring character in The Simpsons who is black.
  13. S: ×2 Name a writer for The Simpsons, current or previous.
  14. C: ×2 Name a character voiced by Phil Hartman.
  15. R: ×2 Name a member of the Stonecutters.
  16. S: ×3 The Simpsons has aired twenty seasons. Out of those, how many were at least very good?
  17. R: ×3 Name a guest star that has since passed away.
  18. S: ×3 Name one of Martin Prince's hobbies or interests.
  19. R: ×4 Name a human character who lives or lived in the Flanders household.
  20. R: ×4 Name a language in which The Simpsons series is broadcast in anywhere in the world. Official/authorized translations only. Esperanto fan-dubs don't count.
  21. S: ×5 Name the most memorable single segment on any Treehouse of Horror.
  22. R: ×5 Name a female musician that has appeared as herself in The Simpsons.

I will only accept 20 entries, aside from myself. An additional four spots are reserved for the following players:

NORML54601
Rockmjd23
orangecrush18
Groucho

who were kind enough to PM me question suggestions. Additionally, anyone who has run a Sheep Game before has a spot (over and above the original 20).

It will run at a time determined by me.

* ** *** **** ***** GAME IS FULL ***** **** *** ** *

These people, who have not given me answers, have grandfathered-in spots: NORML, Rockmjd23, JasonF, Jeremy517.

Last edited by The Bus; 07-22-09 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-21-09, 01:36 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: Simpsons (Reverse) Sheep — "Sex Cauldron? I thought they closed that place down!"

Challenge: that picture of Lenny doesn't have a Matt Groening signature, and is thus not official.
Old 07-21-09, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Simpsons (Reverse) Sheep — "Sex Cauldron? I thought they closed that place down!"

The plan is to have the questions up by the end of the week and have the game be sometime next week.

This will be a smaller/shorter game, likely 15-20 questions. I will only be taking 20-25 contestants.

What I would like, however, are suggestions on questions.

This game will concentrate on early Simpsons (first half of the series) as well as the feature film, although answers can be from all seasons.
Old 07-21-09, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Sweet. Can I request this be restricted to season 9 or 10 and prior, when it was good/great?
Old 07-21-09, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Sweet. Can I request this be restricted to season 9 or 10 and prior, when it was good/great?
I will not ask any questions about recent seasons, but answers could always come from them.
Old 07-21-09, 01:48 PM

I had some questions in the hopper already for this, so I sent them to you.
Old 07-21-09, 01:57 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Name a Simpsons character whose name explicitly tells you where they are from.
Old 07-21-09, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Name a car that has been in The Simpsons. For the purposes of this question, moon buggies are cars, while tanks are not.
Old 07-21-09, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by JasonF
Millionaire Texan
Old 07-21-09, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Sent you a few suggestions. Reverse sheep questions are hard for the Simpsons.
Old 07-21-09, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

I'm in. I may be rusty on the early Simpsons by now, but I will try to think of a question.

also...

Originally Posted by JasonF
Pearl Jam!
Old 07-21-09, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Damfino
I'm in. I may be rusty on the early Simpsons by now, but I will try to think of a question.

also...

Pearl Jam!
How about who is Lisa's favorite Traveling Wilbury?*

*I can tell you that it is now Axl Rose.
Old 07-21-09, 03:59 PM

Name the title of a song sung by the characters on the show or in the movie. (... did the movie have any songs?)
Old 07-21-09, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Name a pet owned by the Simpsons! duh!
Old 07-21-09, 04:09 PM

I think The Bus was soliciting questions via PM guys.
Old 07-21-09, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I hope I can get in with the small number of entries. I had absolutely zero interest in Babylon 5 and Lost sheep, and didn't see the #2 Sheep game here in time before it filled up. It would suck to miss out
Old 07-21-09, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Which popular "Simpsons" characters have died in the past year?
Spoiler:
If you said Bleeding Gums Murphy and Dr. Marvin Monroe,
Spoiler:
you are wrong:
Spoiler:
they were never popular.
Old 07-22-09, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wishbone
Which popular "Simpsons" characters have died in the past year?
Spoiler:
If you said Bleeding Gums Murphy and Dr. Marvin Monroe,
Spoiler:
you are wrong:
Spoiler:
they were never popular.
I always loved that bit.
Old 07-22-09, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Count me in!
Old 07-22-09, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Haven't seen the movie, but seen the first 13 or so seaons...but I'm always willing to guess.
Old 07-22-09, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Keep your eyes peeled. Questions will be posted soon. I will only accept 25 entries.
Old 07-22-09, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
Questions will be posted soon.

Soon being a relative term.

Can I reserve a spot if you don't have them up by 5 pm?
Old 07-22-09, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

My computer is being moved this afternoon, so take your time Bus.
Old 07-22-09, 01:46 PM

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Soon being a relative term.

Can I reserve a spot if you don't have them up by 5 pm?
+1 on that. If it isn't up by 5 I am going to miss out too. Damn I got a 3:30 I have to go to, hopefully it isn't up around that time either. But I would like to reserve my spot.

Last edited by macnorton; 07-22-09 at 01:49 PM.
Old 07-22-09, 01:51 PM

If you get 24 entries, and haven't heard from me yet, just submit my card as the 25th entry with "Homer" as the answer to every question.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.