Doctor Who Series 5 Discussion (BBC)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Doctor Who Series 5 Discussion (BBC)

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-10, 12:26 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: Doctor Who Series 5 Discussion (BBC)

I enjoyed Amy's Choice quite a bit. Toby Jones was fantastic (as he is in pretty much everything).

I'll see you all in another 47 years for the next TARDIS-only story!
Old 05-16-10, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really liked the episode, although I would have liked the Dream Lord to stick around and be a new physical nemesis for The Doctor, rather than a psychological dark side.
Rory adds some nice chemistry to the group. This episode had some great lines between the three of them and some nice moments between Amy and Rory.
Old 05-16-10, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I sort of hope Rory is around for the long haul too. I also really liked the Dream Master, and felt like he could be a really neat big bad.
Old 05-16-10, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I really enjoyed it. There was some good chemistry between the three of them. It was nice to see Rory get some more screen time.
Old 05-16-10, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

This above any episode thus far has cemented the characters for me. The interaction between the trio really worked. The explanation for the Dream Lord was the only sour note in the episode but I enjoyed the hell out of it anyways. Hopefully we'll see more of the Dream Lord later on down the road. Say somewhere between the Doctor's 12th and final incarnation.
Old 05-17-10, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

I thought it was okay. I liked the emphasis on Amy choosing, but given who the Dream Lord was, it makes me question why. Did he somehow need her to make a choice between the two? Why? What does that say about what he really wants?

Was there significance to "What's his name?!" I'm going to be well miffed if Amy somehow ends up being River.
Old 05-17-10, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm going to have to go back and rewatch the second half again tonight. This was the first Who episode that literally put me to sleep.

It might be the Dream Lord at work.
Old 05-17-10, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07
I thought it was okay. I liked the emphasis on Amy choosing, but given who the Dream Lord was, it makes me question why. Did he somehow need her to make a choice between the two? Why? What does that say about what he really wants?

Was there significance to "What's his name?!" I'm going to be well miffed if Amy somehow ends up being River.
How about River being The Master.

James
Old 05-17-10, 09:45 AM

It had everything to do with helping Amy find what she really wants. Nobody was ever in any danger, and the Dream Lord appeared to have good intentions (even if his methods were questionable).
Just a way of showing that the trust isn't completely there yet. I think this will play more into the "Jacket Doctor" conversation we saw in "Flesh and Stone" than with his relationship with River.
Old 05-17-10, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Groucho
It had everything to do with helping Amy find what she really wants. Nobody was ever in any danger, and the Dream Lord appeared to have good intentions (even if his methods were questionable).Just a way of showing that the trust isn't completely there yet. I think this will play more into the "Jacket Doctor" conversation we saw in "Flesh and Stone" than with his relationship with River.
I'm not sure I buy 'what she really wants'. Despite her 'choosing' Rory, something is still off - like her real answer is the Doctor.
Old 05-18-10, 02:39 PM

Was that Donna's grandfather in with the gang of old people?

And I think the person pulling people into the VW minibus looked a lot like the tenth doctor. You never see his face but do see his hair and black glasses...

Or maybe I should stop watching TV at 3AM...
Old 05-18-10, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am still watching and enjoying but have several friends who are not thrilled with this season. They feel the show is different now and not in a good way and that starting out with both a new companion and a new Doctor hasn't helped.
Old 05-18-10, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts

I really loved this episode. The story, the nemesis, the humor, it just clicked in every way. All the the interesting digs that the Dreamlord made. Really well written. I also love the interplay of the 3 characters. I hope they keep this team for a while.
Old 05-23-10, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Wow. "The Hungry Earth" was great.

Okay, the, "We've only got 9 1/2 minutes...," then they do one hours worth of work montage logic gap was dumb, but the rest was solid stuff.

As a first half of a two-parter, they setup everything fantastically. Best of all was a real sense of atmosphere and genuine tension. I often complain about NewWho's flat look and mood, but this one had good lighting and direction and a definite sense of capturing something other than the ol' run-and-yell action hysterics. Can't wait for next week.
Old 05-23-10, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Slumbering Fist

Okay, the, "We've only got 9 1/2 minutes...," then they do one hours worth of work montage logic gap was dumb, but the rest was solid stuff.

As a first half of a two-parter, they setup everything fantastically. Best of all was a real sense of atmosphere and genuine tension. I often complain about NewWho's flat look and mood, but this one had good lighting and direction and a definite sense of capturing something other than the ol' run-and-yell action hysterics. Can't wait for next week.
Agreed. And I didn't even know it was a two parter!

I felt sorry for the guy next to Amy.
Old 05-23-10, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by riley_dude
I am still watching and enjoying but have several friends who are not thrilled with this season. They feel the show is different now and not in a good way and that starting out with both a new companion and a new Doctor hasn't helped.
I'm not really thrilled with it, either. RTD's departure hasn't improved things all that much. I was hoping to at least see an improvement in the quality and consistency of the writing, but it hasn't really been there yet. Although, Matt Smith has started to grow on me.
Old 05-23-10, 06:55 PM

I felt sorry for the guy next to Amy.
I just hope next week's episode isn't titled "Human Centipede."
Old 05-24-10, 06:18 AM

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Hungry Earth was terrific, thumbs up to the makeup crew for
Spoiler:
Lizard-girl's
get up. Thoroughly enjoyed it, looking forward to the next ep.
Old 05-24-10, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Slumbering Fist

Yeah, that really drove me crazy. Unless the exact time becomes significant in the next episode, why not just say half an hour or something?

But that's a small problem to have with another great episode. I'm loving this season myself. I think it's actually one of the more consistent seasons of the new series.
Old 05-24-10, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by boredsilly
Yeah, that really drove me crazy. Unless the exact time becomes significant in the next episode, why not just say half an hour or something?
Well, its a nagging, lazy writing problem, this idea that action = quickness. Same category as always having NuWho characters run to and fro. In b-movie terms, I guess you'd call it, the Countdown Clock Syndrome, everything having to be on some rushed timetable in order for it to be suspenseful. Not enough to say, "We're running out of time!" It has to be, "We only have insert timeframe!" Bet it happens again next ep

Last edited by Slumbering Fist; 05-24-10 at 11:06 AM.
Old 05-30-10, 07:10 AM

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

"Cold Blood", the follow-up to Hungry Earth, was terrific, shocking (at the end), and very sad. Literally, at the end of the ep, I was actually tearing up.
Spoiler:
I liked Rory, and it was heartbreaking to watch the Doctor trying to coach Amy to retain a memory, any memory, of Rory's existence before the light consumed his body. Also, the bit of shrapnel the Doctor retrieved from the crack does not bode well for our beloved TARDIS.

The Doctor did say that this particular point was not fixed in time, so maybe something will happen because of it.
Old 05-30-10, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by N2DVD
"Cold Blood", the follow-up to Hungry Earth, was terrific, shocking (at the end), and very sad. Literally, at the end of the ep, I was actually tearing up.
Spoiler:
I liked Rory, and it was heartbreaking to watch the Doctor trying to coach Amy to retain a memory, any memory, of Rory's existence before the light consumed his body. Also, the bit of shrapnel the Doctor retrieved from the crack does not bode well for our beloved TARDIS.

The Doctor did say that this particular point was not fixed in time, so maybe something will happen because of it.
Agree on all counts. Next to the 11th Hour these two together were my favorite part of the series to date. As the Doctor said it wasn't a fixed point, so anything could happen. I suppose that's why
Spoiler:
there could be both Amy and Rory at the beginning, but just Amy at the end?
. Interesting indeed.

I wonder if that was meant to be a crack inside the keyhole a few episodes back instead of a nifty transition!
Old 05-30-10, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Wait a minute. I think you guys are confusing a good ending with a good episode. Yeah, the end was great but the bulk of "Cold Blood" was pretty awful.

While we all know the Doc will make it out more or less unscathed, beginning an episode with voiceover that basically tells you the end resolution is dramatic suicide. Really killed the suspense. While the first part had some good atmospherics, the second just hitched up bad melodramatics and had little action.

I like how they never even addressed the Sirulian surgeon giving the dad a waking autopsy in the previous episode. He's set up as creepy, then turns on an unearned moment to being all good and noble.

Great first part. Downer second.
Old 05-30-10, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by N2DVD
Spoiler:

When they resolve the crack in time storyline, I'm really hoping...
Spoiler:

...that they don't start bringing everyone who died and were wiped from existence back again, including Rory. I think it'll just cheapen the effect of his death scene.

Old 05-31-10, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

I really did not expect
Spoiler:
Rory's death
at all. I was literally stunned. Then the pouring on of emotion as the Doctor tried to keep Amy from forgetting really clinched the moment. Unfortunately, I'm getting a bit sick of the whole crack in time story arc. To me, the whole run of stories this season has been partially damaged by the lead up to the finale. Like all the stand-alone stories are unimportant and really shouldn't be paid attention to because something BIGGER is coming. I actually prefer everything tied together in the way "Torchwood" was handled in Series 2. Very brief mentions here and there slipped into dialogue or in the background. Even "Bad Wolf" and "Mr. Saxon" were handled with less impact to the surrounding stories until we got closer to the end of each series. This crack in time is like a hammer to the head.

The episode itself fizzles out after a pretty decent opening episode. And one second the Silurian scientist is scary, ready to dissect another human alive and the next he's just a good-hearted doctor? Please. The climax itself is just a lotta talk. Getting the Silurians to go back to sleep is an easy solution but they have to stand around and talk about it for like 10 minutes.

I'm hoping
Spoiler:
Rory remains dead but Amy regains her memory of him. His death would have more impact if there isn't a cop-out at the end of the series.

Last edited by The Valeyard; 05-31-10 at 01:15 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.