Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Doctor Who Series 5 Discussion (BBC)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Doctor Who Series 5 Discussion (BBC)

Old 05-01-10, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Doctor Who Series 5 Discussion (BBC)

Just finished the 5th episode. Another fun ride with some more information about the crack and River Song. I'm starting to think
Spoiler:
she kills the doctor.
Old 05-01-10, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith6601
Just finished the 5th episode. Another fun ride with some more information about the crack and River Song. I'm starting to think
Spoiler:
she kills the doctor.
Yeah, they kinda hit us over the head with that, I believe.

I enjoyed the ep until Amy's, uh, encounter with the doctor right before the preview. However, I like the idea of the Doctor taking
Spoiler:
Amy and her fiance to Venice, where they run into vampires
as something that could end up be rather humorous.

Boy, again, this Doctor seems to have a hair-trigger temper, doesn't he? He's lost his cool several times this season. I like it.
Old 05-01-10, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Enjoyed the episode but did they really need to have Amy hit on the Doctor?
Old 05-01-10, 09:05 PM

I didn't like the bit with Amy at the end either but I'm actually happy that they did it and got it out of the way early instead of building to it when we all know it isn't going to happen anyway like they've done with previous companions.

I was surprised who she's engaged to though as I was sure it would be the other option.
Old 05-02-10, 12:11 AM

I kind of like that she was really just looking for a good shag. "I wasn't thinking long-term."

Maybe there's some Moffat sleight-of-hand with the too-obvious line about killing a good man.
Old 05-02-10, 04:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm glad the Doctor held his ground. I don't think I could handle him having a roll with one of his companions.

Loved the two-parter and next week's looks good too.
Old 05-02-10, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Yeah, I too thought the ep was okay. I dont think the whole bit where Amy had to pretend she could see made sense. Okay the Angels were distracted? So this supposedly badass alien race who can attack you in the blink of an eye when you cannot see them also cannot tell if a person has their eyes closed if they just shuffle around? Huh? I had to rewatch it, listen to the Docs rushed explanation again, and the scene still didnt work.

As for the ending, gee I still dont know. I understand its part of modernizing the series for a more savvy audience. I never for a moment bought either Rose and especially Martha's romantic longings for the Doc. Even with Rose it seemed one-sided and forced to me. Which means Martha had negative chemistry in my eyes. At least with Amy the approach was different, if maybe too aggressive?

Thing is, it really pushed the boundaries (for Who) as far as I'm concerned. It went from what I thought would be a cute pouncing kiss to "fuck me." This is still a show for kiddies right? Its just weird. At least his reaction was as alien, asexual, and otherworldly as it should. And from the looks of the preview, he's going to try and throw some cold water on her right away.

Last edited by Slumbering Fist; 05-02-10 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-02-10, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Geez, remind me to never watch the next episode preview. I know there is more to the ep, but they give away a lot of the story.

Each ep I find myself loving Amy more and more. She's got the right mix of lovable and spunky.
Old 05-02-10, 06:44 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree the Angels were hell creepy. I also didn't like the reveal that the iconic sound of the tartis was the brakes being left on, stupid writing

Otherwise good episode and i am starting to warm to the characters
Old 05-02-10, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Overall this was a good episode, but not as good as part 1.

Things I liked:
Amy's countdown
The Angel capturing the Bishop (and also the actor playing the Bishop, great voice)
The airlock sequence
The gravity solution. That was nicely done I think.

Things I didn't like:
Showing the Angels moving - The CGI looked fine, I guess. I was too disappointed to notice. To be honest the whole flashing lights/movement thing was getting old by this point in the episode, but I still don't think they should have shown them moving.

Amy faking that she can see - I guess when Angles become frighted they become so dumb that not only are they tricked by Amy, but they can't understand the instructions the Doctor is giving her about pretending not to be blind.

Amy throwing herself at the Doctor - Now it seems we've moved past companions falling in love with the Doctor to attempting casual hookups. It's not so much Amy's actions, but the doctors' reaction and how they played it as a lighthearted comedic moment.
Old 05-02-10, 08:11 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by wmansir
Showing the Angels moving - The CGI looked fine, I guess. I was too disappointed to notice.
It wasn't CGI, those were actors in costumes.
Old 05-02-10, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's must be why it looked so good. Still, I imagined that when unlooked upon the angels were completely otherworldly and not just moving statues.
Old 05-03-10, 12:26 AM

Regarding the fifth episode...did anyone notice?

Spoiler:
When the doctor came back to Amy after he left with River and told her she has to remember and kissed her on the forehead, he was wearing his coat again. Also, the dialogue didn't entirely match the context of the scene. Perhaps this is something that will tie into a later episode (finale, maybe?).

Also, I liked the scene at the end. I liked that Amy wasn't interested in a relationship with the doctor, just relations.
Old 05-03-10, 04:54 AM

Nice observation there, Elpresidentepez. It certainly puts a new perspective on the "dream" in the first episode where the TARDIS lands in front of young Amelia.
Old 05-03-10, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

I thought it was pretty good. For me the Angels aren't quite as creepy as they were in Blink, but I did get a spooky vibe when they were turning to look at Amy.

I agree that the Bishop was a cool character and a good actor. Too bad he had to go. Speaking of which, in this istance are the Angels doing something other than sending people into the past? This time the Doctor made their actions sound more permanently-deathy.

Now, is Amy the cause of the crack, or does she just happen to be at the right place at the right time? Hopefully she's just an effect and not the cause.

I agree that it sounds like River may kill a version of the Doctor. Although that's probably a red flag, and in fact it will be somebody/something else that we know. I do hope that particular plot point/story isn't addressed until next season. I feel that craming stories too close together often dilutes the gravity of their story.

Originally Posted by Groucho
Nice observation there, Elpresidentepez. It certainly puts a new perspective on the "dream" in the first episode where the TARDIS lands in front of young Amelia.
Do you mean the beginning or the end of the episode? My interpretation was that the ending was actually a dream.
Old 05-03-10, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Superman07
Do you mean the beginning or the end of the episode? My interpretation was that the ending was actually a dream.
The ending. We were clearly meant to think it was a dream, but watching it back now I believe that the Doctor will pay 7-year-old Amelia a return visit in his future, and that is what he is referring to in the "Jacket" scene.
Old 05-03-10, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I suppose it's possible, but it could also be a production gaff.
Old 05-03-10, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts

I was underwhelmed. I really didn't care for what they did with the angels in these episodes, changing the rules they set up brilliantly in Blink.

Now you can't look them in the eyes even though Sally Sparrow did and had no problem. Now they don't send you back in time they just break your neck and taunt you over a radio. Now you can pretend you are looking at them or just distract them with talk about the end of time and get away. You can even blink now judging from the Doctor blinking while the statue had bishop in a choke hold. It was a big step backwards and aside from the Ring-like angel through the monitor scene it was lacking suspense, just a lot of hyperventilating fast talk.
Old 05-03-10, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by philo
I was underwhelmed. I really didn't care for what they did with the angels in these episodes, changing the rules they set up brilliantly in Blink.

Now you can't look them in the eyes even though Sally Sparrow did and had no problem. Now they don't send you back in time they just break your neck and taunt you over a radio. Now you can pretend you are looking at them or just distract them with talk about the end of time and get away. You can even blink now judging from the Doctor blinking while the statue had bishop in a choke hold. It was a big step backwards and aside from the Ring-like angel through the monitor scene it was lacking suspense, just a lot of hyperventilating fast talk.
I agree. The problem with making very specific "rules" with these alien races is that they're later broken when a new story calls for it. Another rule was they would cover their own eyes: "any living thing turns them to stone". In "Blink", they did so for fear of another angel's gaze. I don't recall a single instance of any angel covering it's eyes in these episodes (and we had a lot more angels).

I don't miss RTD, but have been pretty disappointed with Moffat so far given my sky-high expectations.
Old 05-03-10, 09:51 AM

Quick question - sorry if this is obvious or already answered, but - where are you guys seeing these? I am watching on BBCAmerica and they played the Dalek episode this weekend, which I think, it the 3rd episode with the new Doctor. thanks
Old 05-03-10, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Chew
I don't miss RTD, but have been pretty disappointed with Moffat so far given my sky-high expectations.
Yeah, agreed. I was hoping for at least a smoother, smarter run, but the scripts still seem to need, IMO, another rewrite or two. Maybe its a first year thing, getting used to the job and the schedule. It is a different gig.

Watching the premiere confidential, the first warning sign was hearing him say, the Doctors regeneration was, "The same man, different skin." Prior to the reboot it was, "Same man, different skin, different personality." So, clearly thats the kind of thing Moffat was probably forced into by the higher powers, maintaining the same sort of Doc that audiences had been watching. While Smith is more or less sticking to the same page as Eccleston and Tennant, he's at least doing it well.

But there is a lot of good. I am glad that, so far, Moffat seems to have integrated the drama into the action a bit better. With RTD it always felt like the episodes would just stop dead for some melodramatic character hysterics, then go into action-running mode, then stop dead again, rinse and repeat. Moffat is weaving around better, but he needs to watch the repetition (River and the Queen were basically the same sassy kick butt chick archetype, the Dalek and Angel spaceship interior designs were really flat, etc).

Last edited by Slumbering Fist; 05-03-10 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-03-10, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by philo

Yeah, I'm not a stickler for this kind of stuff, and even I noticed these angels opperated under a different set of circumstances than those found in Blink to make the plot of this two-parter work. I can forgive that easily, but it is a little lazy.

Still, I really enjoyed this ep. Amy is a winner, and the new Doc is already wonderful. I can't wait to see what he does when he gets his own amazing episode that helps define who he is. I'm sure there will be at least one this season. The best thing I can say about him is that I'm not missing Tennant, nor do I think these episodes would have been better had Tennant been in them. I still love me some Tennant, but Smith has filled the role beautifully for me.
Old 05-03-10, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by boredsilly
The best thing I can say about him is that I'm not missing Tennant, nor do I think these episodes would have been better had Tennant been in them. I still love me some Tennant, but Smith has filled the role beautifully for me.
You know, I've been so impressed with Smith that I hadn't given Tennant much of a second thought either. Sure I miss him and thought he was great, but now that you mention it I'm not convinced he would have been any better with these stories. However, this does make me wonder if and to what extent Moffat changed the stories to fit Smith.
Old 05-03-10, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

I'm still waiting for Smith to "become" the Doctor. I felt he started off really strong in the first episode but the last three (to me) feel like he's just playing the part. Being an age-old Doctor Who fan, I know it'll happen eventually. The actor goes from playing a role to becoming the part. For me, Tom Baker became the Doctor in The Ark in Space. Tennant became the Doctor in Smith and Jones. McGann hit the ball out of the park in the TV Movie (tho I was starved for Doctor Who by that point so I may have been desperate). Overall, Smith feels like he's reading Doctor-ish lines. Throwing in a temper tantrum when needed. I really liked the scene when he came back to talk to Amy in the forest tho. THAT bit felt like the Doctor.

Last edited by The Valeyard; 05-03-10 at 10:15 PM.
Old 05-04-10, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
I'm still waiting for Smith to "become" the Doctor. I felt he started off really strong in the first episode but the last three (to me) feel like he's just playing the part. Being an age-old Doctor Who fan, I know it'll happen eventually. The actor goes from playing a role to becoming the part...
Well, I think Smith said that they were treating the season like the Doc was a newborn lamb finding his legs and he really didn't feel totally comfortable until the final eps. We'll see. I still think he is more or less being guided into playing the same Doc we've seen in the rebooting. Doubtful he'll get more wacky, moody, or generally different by the end.

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
...For me, Tom Baker became the Doctor in The Ark in Space...
Never thought about that but its true. His first few scenes in Robot- the running in place bit, immediately wanting to take off and leave- you could tell what kind of Doc he'd be, then the rest of the ep he sort of had to tone it down to the usual Doc business.

Hell, I'll do you one better. To me, Davison looked like he was going through the motions until his third and final season. But, then again, I do hate the writing in the first two Davison seasons too.

Last edited by Slumbering Fist; 05-04-10 at 11:14 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.