Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Doctor Who Series 5 Discussion (BBC)

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-10, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Doctor Who Series 5 Discussion (BBC)

I didn't find this two-parter all that great, but I think I liked the second part a little better than the first. The ending was surprising
Spoiler:
and a little bit of a let down. I would have liked Rory to stick around.
Old 05-31-10, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought the first part was better. I'm not really a fan of when the show goes into overt moralizing mode ("You have to be the BEST OF HUMANITY!"), and that whole part of the plot was a bit contrived.

I do prefer the show as a whole under Moffat--the Doctor is more of a man of mystery, and the overall tone is less campy and closer to what I like in my TV. But I think that the episodes themselves have been underwhelming, and I'm not really dying to rewatch any of them. I'm sure things will get better, though.
Old 05-31-10, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by areacode212
I do prefer the show as a whole under Moffat--the Doctor is more of a man of mystery, and the overall tone is less campy and closer to what I like in my TV. But I think that the episodes themselves have been underwhelming, and I'm not really dying to rewatch any of them. I'm sure things will get better, though.
Even though the season has been a bit disappointing so far (maybe due to expectations being too high), I think Steven Moffat has been a better show runner than Russell T Davies. In many ways, I think the series this year under Moffat has felt a lot more like '70s/'80s-era Doctor Who series (although with much better effects) than it usually did under Davies.
Old 05-31-10, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I like that Moffat has largely ditched the soapy dramatics that Davies imbued Who with. There is less overt cheap comic relief supporting characters and no more weepy unrequited romance angles between Doc and companion.

But, the show is still faltering on basic production level. For a modern scifi show, sometimes the look is still too bland and the action is too predictable. I actually attribute these things to the landscape Moffat is forced to work in, both in terms of budget limitation and what the higher-ups deem the audience expects.

As a show overseer, I think Moffat seems to be working within a box carried over from the Davies era: the story beats have to maintain a certain pattern. I say its forced on him because his previous Doc eps as a writer were memorable for how they worked without the usual set of Davies-Doc rules. I mean, for instance, Blink didn't even have the freaking Doc as its star.

I think the problem is, the show was an initial hit, so the head production crew quickly patted themselves on the back rather than admit there were some kinks with the storytelling and design. Its like they said, "Well, this worked and this worked, and this worked, and this worked... so lets keep doing it."

Last edited by Slumbering Fist; 05-31-10 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-04-10, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Slumbering Fist
I like that Moffat has largely ditched the soapy dramatics that Davies imbued Who with. There is less overt cheap comic relief supporting characters and no more weepy unrequited romance angles between Doc and companion.
I did really get into the unrequited love stuff with Rose and The Doctor, but I thought it totally ruined Martha's arc. Her season could have been so much better if she wasn't constantly making googly eyes at the Doctor. I still like her character, but I really didn't care for how she was portrayed during her whole stint. Love or hate Rose, but nobody wants Rose-lite.

I think the problem is, the show was an initial hit, so the head production crew quickly patted themselves on the back rather than admit there were some kinks with the storytelling and design. Its like they said, "Well, this worked and this worked, and this worked, and this worked... so lets keep doing it."
Well, isn't it still a hit? I'm sure there was some drop off, but Who still seems to be a big deal. To me, if things are working (and I think they still are), I say don't fix them.

Originally Posted by Slumbering Fist
Wait a minute. I think you guys are confusing a good ending with a good episode. Yeah, the end was great but the bulk of "Cold Blood" was pretty awful.
Awful seems a bit unfair to me. I liked the ep, but I can see how you might not have, but I can't see "awful". I actually really enjoyed all of the stuff about trying to come to some agreement to share the world, and I felt some real tension about what was happening underground contrasted with what was going on on the surface. The best of humanity stuff could be seen as a bit hokey, but that sounded like the Doctor to me. He's so in love with humans, I buy him saying that. Though to call us a peaceful people, when all we do is fight, seems a little silly. Amy talking on the behalf of man puts forward a false front of humanity since she really isn't in charge of squat, and you know good and damn well that those who are in charge would be trying to kill the lizard people the second they emerged. At least at first.

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Unfortunately, I'm getting a bit sick of the whole crack in time story arc. To me, the whole run of stories this season has been partially damaged by the lead up to the finale. Like all the stand-alone stories are unimportant and really shouldn't be paid attention to because something BIGGER is coming. I actually prefer everything tied together in the way "Torchwood" was handled in Series 2. Very brief mentions here and there slipped into dialogue or in the background. Even "Bad Wolf" and "Mr. Saxon" were handled with less impact to the surrounding stories until we got closer to the end of each series. This crack in time is like a hammer to the head.
I disagree. I liked the nods to "Bad Wolf" and "Mr. Saxon" during those seasons, but because they were so in the background, it still felt like "the point" of those seasons came out of no where. I mean, we all saw those things, so the nods weren't rewarding the clever viewer. Instead, they were just saying "This thing here! The thing the camera lingers on for a second too long? Yeah that. That's going to be important." I think a better use of dropping clues was how the Donna season came together with the Medusa Cascade and all. That felt a little more rewarding. The crack in time is definitely in our face, but I don't mind that. Because it's front and center, we get the characters lending importance to it.

I see your point about it making the other stories seem a bit less important, but I don't find that to be the case at all. I know we're in for a big adventure at the end, but that doesn't ruin these current adventures for me at all. It's the way Angel or Buffy would be constantly building to the season finales, while still giving the characters things to deal with week to week.

I dig it. But then I'm really enjoying this season. It's weird to me that it's almost over.
Old 06-05-10, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I really enjoyed this week's episode. Tony Curran stole the show. Bill Nighy summing up his feelings on Van Gogh while he was there was just a great scene.
Old 06-05-10, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Vincent and the Doctor was an excellent ep, and the second week in a row that I was almost in tears at the end of the program.
Old 06-05-10, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by N2DVD
Vincent and the Doctor was an excellent ep, and the second week in a row that I was almost in tears at the end of the program.
The ending was a bit sentimental, but that is a "wish for" scenario that a lot of people have (i.e. wishing that Van Gogh could've known that he would be celebrated as a great artist after his death) and something that makes sense for Doctor Who to do. (Although I thought there was going to be a new Van Gogh painting of the Tardis at the very end )

And I thought the Doctor was very funny in this episode. I really liked the scene when he was so focused on identifying the creature with the mirror contraption that he almost forgot that this dangerous creature was standing right behind him and he should be running!
Old 06-06-10, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think Vincent was the best of the new season. It gives me hope.
Old 06-06-10, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Liked the episode as well. Turned out much better than the previews indicated. The Doc's "I know evil when I see it," remark and the beastie's intentions and end didn't quite jibe, but the rest of it was good.

That's how you save some scifi cash, the ol' invisible monster

Originally Posted by boredsilly
Well, isn't it still a hit? I'm sure there was some drop off, but Who still seems to be a big deal. To me, if things are working (and I think they still are), I say don't fix them.
My argument is that the writing and the production design could be better, that I thought the two would improve more than they have beyond the first and second season. Many shows have been gradual or instant hits and used that momentum to improve themselves in those areas rather than just settle.

Last edited by Slumbering Fist; 06-06-10 at 11:59 AM.
Old 06-07-10, 04:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I liked the Van Gogh stuff, but didn't care much for the invisible monster. Overall a pretty decent episode.
Old 06-07-10, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think this would've been a much better episode, and huge departure from typical Who, if the entire story was nothing but Van Gogh, Amy, and the Doctor....no monster at all.
Old 06-07-10, 11:06 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Chew
I think this would've been a much better episode, and huge departure from typical Who, if the entire story was nothing but Van Gogh, Amy, and the Doctor....no monster at all.
I agree. As a side note, I would love to see a return of the "Historical" stories, even if it's only one a year.
Old 06-07-10, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just read over at SciFi Wire that
Spoiler:
Lady Gaga
is in talks to guest-star.

Old 06-07-10, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just read over at SciFi Wire that
Spoiler:
Lady Gaga
is in talks to guest-star.

No.

No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No.

No, Stephen Moffat. Just say no.
Old 06-07-10, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm kind of mixed on the Van Gogh episode. I agree he Vincent stuff was good, in a way, and the monster stuff was unnecessary. I think in a way this was sort of an impressionistic love letter to Van Gogh. They kind of white washed the character and completely fudged some facts. For instance, Van Gogh's sunflower painting was among his earlier works, years before some of the painting seen in his studio (Dr Gachet, the Prisoners), which were among his final works.

Last edited by wmansir; 06-07-10 at 02:21 PM.
Old 06-07-10, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think I would have enjoyed that more myself, even though as it stands I loved this episode.

This episode had a lot of nice nuggets of goodness in it. The bit where they're all holding hands was really sweet and the Doctor jumping back in the room to startle Vincent and Amy jump to mind.
Old 06-07-10, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well I didn't like 'Cold Blood' much at all, kind of a shame after the comparatively better 'Hungry Earth'. It's also surprising since it was such a good idea for an episode too. But the ideological crap is getting to the point it dominates the plot, which sucks. While the UK ideological stuff was always a part of the episodes, this is getting to the outright preachy and kind of sickening level.

"You are so much LESS than the best of humanity" and all that silly drivel. Amy at the end just didn't pull it off, it smacked of artifice and I didn't buy it.

I'm losing my interest in the show the longer this season goes on.

Makes me realize how good the last creative team and Doctor were by comparison.
Old 06-07-10, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Torchwood International

Doctor Who-related....

Torchwood International!

The BBC have announced that a new series of Torchwood will be produced by the BBC Wales, BBC Worldwide, and US network Starz Entertainment.

The series will see John Barrowman and Eve Myles reprise their roles of Captain Jack Harkness and Gwen, and will comprise of ten episodes overseen by series creator Russell T Davies. Other former cast members (like Gwen's husband Rhys played by Kai Owen) have yet to be confirmed, but new faces will appear in the team, with adventures taking place around the world.

Says Ben Stephenson, Controller, BBC Drama Commissioning:
We have a long history of working with many U.S. networks but it is incredibly exciting to be working with Starz for the first time, as well as to be reunited with the best of British in Russell, Jane and Julie. Torchwood will burst back onto the screen with a shocking and moving story with global stakes and locations that will make it feel bigger and bolder than ever.

Jane Tranter, EVP, BBC Worldwide Productions:
Torchwood has attracted remarkable attention and loyalty in both the UK and U.S., and in this new partnership with Starz, the next chapter will not only reward our current fans, but also introduce new viewers to the most impressive instalment yet.

Chris Albrecht, LLC, President and CEO of Starz:
We're committed to programming exceptional television that is entertaining, imaginative and provides a premium TV experience, and by any measure the new concept for Torchwood fits that mandate. I've been part of successful partnerships with Jane Tranter and the BBC previously, and I'm very much looking forward to working with them again.

In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Albrecht added:
It was too good an opportunity to pass up. Each season of the show, the show has evolved and "The Children of Earth" was terrific as evident in it was just named a Television Critics Press Awards nominee. I'm interested in doing sci-fi and what I like a lot about "Torchwood" is it's a very classic sci-fi entry. It's all about the story, it's not about big effects. I thought "Children of Earth" evolved the franchise to a place where it could continue to evolve on pay TV with an American partner that could bring more production resources.

At the end of "Children of Earth" Torchwood was destroyed, so when we pick up in our world the need for Torchwood arises again. A lot of this story takes place in the U.S. as well with several characters that are in the U.S. intelligence forces and end up teaming up with Gwen and Captain Jack to deal with the situation at hand.

The Hollywood Reporter also spoke to Russell T Davies:
It's very much the next step. It's not a new version, it's not a reboot. We're simply moving countries. The show was previously a format show -- monster of the week. The breakthrough was "Children of Earth" and that it became one long story. It's not going to be 'Lost' and take 20 years to find out what's going on. It's going to have a most remarkable conclusion after 10 episodes.

We're simply going to tell a good story. I wrote the pilot 7 months ago irregardless of network. BBC1 is a prime-time channel, but a brave channel. I don't worry about content.

No date for production and eventual broadcast for the series has been announced, though some media sources have suggested it premiering during Summer 2011.
Old 06-07-10, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts

^ as I said in the other thread, good news. Let's hope it's as good as CoE. Given the discussion in here on the non-Davies Who era it will be interesting to see how that is accepted in a years time.

As for the Vincent episode, I thought it was so-so. I enjoyed the bits with the man himself, but I felt the part with the monster was rather boring. Might have been more interesting if we had never seen it at all. More imagination and all.

I would have been interested to see the Tardis through his eyes as well. I will say the starry night was a nice effect. I'm curious, despite having an observation about Amy and what really happened he had nothing to say about the Doctor himself.
Old 06-08-10, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It seems like this season is a bit polarizing, but for my money it's really as strong as any of the other seasons have been. This season hasn't had the highs of some of the past seasons, but it also hasn't had the lows either. For my money, this series might be the most consistent of all of the new seasons.

Amy Pond reminds me a lot of Donna, which is why she's so likable.
Old 06-08-10, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish Amy would treat just one thing seriously at some point. I mean, tied up by lizard people and being threatened with death isn't the time to be cheeky. She seems way too confident for someone who has such a troubled background.
Old 06-08-10, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just look at that as how she deals with things. She's confident, sure, but she's like the companion Spider-man. Cracking wise to stay sane.
Old 06-08-10, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckd21
I wish Amy would treat just one thing seriously at some point. I mean, tied up by lizard people and being threatened with death isn't the time to be cheeky. She seems way too confident for someone who has such a troubled background.
Plus in that Lizard ep when that didn't work and they started to gas the chamber she banged on the lid to get her the heck out of it. It's in moments like those that you see how freaked out she can be by it all.

I did find her comment about "Not being the marrying sort." interesting.
Old 06-08-10, 11:30 AM

The Vincent Van Gogh episode was definitely my favorite of the season so far, and probably in my top 10 of the new series. Tony Curran was great. Who knew that "evil Russian sidekick #2" from earlier this season on 24 could pull that off? The Doctor and Amy were both a lot of fun as well.

I didn't mind the invisible monster that much--it was just there to provide some action, plus it led to some fun moments, which gave the episode a good balance. Also, I liked the way that it worked van Gogh's
depression into the plot.

William Hartnell sure is getting a lot of face time this season.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.