Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Doctor Who Series 5 Discussion (BBC)

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-10, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts
Re: Doctor Who Series 5 Discussion (BBC)

Originally Posted by Slumbering Fist
I still think he is more or less being guided into playing the same Doc we've seen in the rebooting. Doubtful he'll get more wacky, moody, or generally different by the end.
What does that even mean? I certainly didn't feel like Tennant was playing the same act that Eccleston was for his run.

Since these were the first two filmed, I'm hoping we'll see more range and development over the next 4 episodes before we get to the final run.

Also a thought on the Doctor wearing the jacket when he came 'back' to talk to Amy. Didn't the Doctor (10) previously say that you can't travel back over your own timeline for fear of messing soemthing up (e.g. Father's Day)? Or if he has done so, does that lend itself to writing/re-writing time?

Are we to assume that the actions at the end of Waters of Mars had no consequences? I assumed the crack was a result of that, but it may be that somebody/thing is behind it.
Old 05-04-10, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07
What does that even mean? I certainly didn't feel like Tennant was playing the same act that Eccleston was for his run.
Really? To me, he was different but only slightly so. More smiley and spazzy, sure. I'll grant, the one season run of Eccleston necessitated that there not be a huge change-up in personality like the Troughton-Pertwee or Baker-Davison eras. But still, tell me there was as drastic a difference as in the past regenerations, and I'll respectfully disagree. I just dont think they want to go that route for the time being and are sticky closely to a Doc-type that current audiences like.

Thats okay, I guess, but it sorta' takes some of the fun out of it. I mean, if I want a Doc that will karate chop or judo toss I guy, you run straight to Pertwee and no one else. You want a Doc thats a bit nutty, you zoom to Tom Baker. An asshole, Colin Baker. A worrywart Troughton. And so on... But the way the current three Docs behave in times of action or drama, IMO, is more or less the same.

Last edited by Slumbering Fist; 05-04-10 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05-04-10, 04:17 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Also a thought on the Doctor wearing the jacket when he came 'back' to talk to Amy. Didn't the Doctor (10) previously say that you can't travel back over your own timeline for fear of messing soemthing up (e.g. Father's Day)? Or if he has done so, does that lend itself to writing/re-writing time?
Remember what The Doctor says at the end of this episode: "Time can be re-written."
Old 05-04-10, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really? To me, he was different but only slightly so. More smiley and spazzy, sure. I'll grant, the one season run of Eccleston necessitated that there not be a huge change-up in personality like the Troughton-Pertwee or Baker-Davison eras. But still, tell me there was as drastic a difference as in the past regenerations, and I'll respectfully disagree. I just dont think they want to go that route for the time being and are sticky closely to a Doc-type that current audiences like.

Thats okay, I guess, but it sorta' takes some of the fun out of it. I mean, if I want a Doc that will karate chop or judo toss I guy, you run straight to Pertwee and no one else. You want a Doc thats a bit nutty, you zoom to Tom Baker. An asshole, Colin Baker. A worrywart Troughton. And so on... But the way the current three Docs behave in times of action or drama, IMO, is more or less the same.
I had only gotten into Doctor Who around the time the McGann movie came around, but I completely agree with you after watching a lot of the early Who episodes through the years, and quite a few recently.

If you look past the last 3 actors all of the Doctor's character traits are pretty much the same. With the whole changing of the guard I expected Smith's Doctor to be of a completely different cut than Eccleston and Tennant, but that hasn't happened yet. I'm hopeful he'll become his "own" Doctor, but like you said they will have to stray away from the current character formula.

I like Smith, but I still wish they had gone with someone older, that has a little more screen presence.
Old 05-05-10, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Eccleston was more ...spikey. And according to RTD, he was still suffering from survivor's guilt from the Time War. All of that washed away (supposedly) after he travelled with Rose and regenerated into Tennant.

Eccleston was also a bit more standoff-ish, looking distinctly uncomfortable whenever he had to deal with Rose's mum and boyfriend, yet Tennant sat down to Christmas dinner with them.

And the trademark comments...you may think "Fantastic!" is a boring trademark, but I'll take it any day over "Allons-y!" or timey fucking wimey.

And I take issue with calling Colin's Doc an asshole He's my second favorite Doctor! I've always thought that Eccleston's Doctor was just the sixth Doctor, but with a northern accent and without the stupid coat. No, seriously. Doc 6 was always putting down humans in general and in his very first episode, Doc 9 was calling humans "stupid apes".
Old 05-08-10, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Just saw the Venice episode, the Doctor, Amy and her fiance, Rory travel to 1580 and discover something fishy about a local girls boarding school. After two fairly heavy and scary shows, "Vampires in Venice" takes a slightly more light-hearted bend. After a brief 1580 prologue, we are treated to the Doctor crashing Rory's bachelor party in an unusual way, and it pretty much sets the tone for the rest of the episode. There are some fun bits, and Amy and Rory are game for joining the Doctor in what needs to be done. Overall, a minor episode, although I can see its resolution having some implications down the line, plus a little more about the cracks and the Silence. 3 out of 5 from me.
Old 05-08-10, 08:45 PM

Yeah, it seemed like a throw-away episode but then the Boss Lady started telling the Doctor about the cracks and silence so it turned into one of those "pay attention now" moments.

Rory coming along was fun but I kept thinking how much more fun it would have been if it was Jeff instead.
Old 05-08-10, 08:50 PM

I thought the Doctor's picture ID on the psychic paper was a funny little throwaway gag.
Old 05-09-10, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I could nitpick the hell out of this episode, but it wasn't that bad overall. A little fillerish, but it had some good visuals with the vampire motif and Venice setting.
Old 05-09-10, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Total filler episode. Next week's episode looks really good tho.
Old 05-09-10, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought it was a fun episode. Something is very off about Amy though and I can't figure out what's going on.

I feel bad for the father and daughter. She goes through all that and is 1 step away from getting away. Then of course he was just devastated.

I liked the actress that played the countess. I feel like I've seen her somewhere before (MI-5?), but can't place my finger on it. Very prophetic perhaps that she speaks to the Doctor about being responsible for the death of two races. Speaking of which, if Gallifrey is/was outside of time, then how is it that some people hear about the Time Lords as myths, while others know they are gone?

Was that supposed to be a crack in the keyhole of the Tardis, or just a nifty transition to the trailer?
Old 05-09-10, 09:50 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

The Countess looked like she could be Anna Friel's sister (she's not, there's just a strong resemblance).

I thought this was a very strong episode. Witty script, nice pacing, and an interesting story. Much better than the similarly-themed "Witches" episode from Season 3.

I'm not liking how Rory's basically a carbon clone of Mickey Smith, but the actor is likable and his reaction to the TARDIS was good too.
Old 05-10-10, 05:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Good episode. Much better than the space whale and Dalek episodes.

Venice and vampires were a good mix and Rory should be a nice addition. Funny how the episode could have been titled Dr. Who vs. the Space Fish.
Old 05-10-10, 09:41 AM

Speaking of which, if Gallifrey is/was outside of time, then how is it that some people hear about the Time Lords as myths, while others know they are gone??
The war itself was time locked, so you couldn't come back again and again or re-do something that had taken place already. That was to avoid the Time Lords going back in time and the Daleks with their temporal shifts.

Gallifrey itself, up to that point, wasn't outside of time. They policed the universe. In a way...
Old 05-10-10, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I didn't care for the episode very much. Actually I'm not caring for this season very much.
Old 05-10-10, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
I didn't care for the episode very much. Actually I'm not caring for this season very much.
I'm having the same reaction. I like the cast, but something's not clicking for me. The angel episodes came the closest, but so far this season just hasn't been very engaging. But I still have hopes that it will find it's groove somehow.
Old 05-10-10, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Agreed. Setting was great but instead of soaking in the atmosphere and making a horrorish ep, it was more of the same run-and-blab business. I mean, the Doc was in a cavern with a torch and besieged by "vamps" yet the spooky meter was on zero. How the Hell does that happen?

I have no idea what to make of the next ep, which in previews looks weird and creepy (kudos to casting Toby Jones!), but, God knows, it will probably be more running around and wisecracking.

I guess Doctor Who has always gone through tonal phases, times when it had a more action bent, a more high concept sci fi bent, a more horror bent. But one of my problems with the revamp is like this last ep, where a story seemingly suited for a different feel ends up the same jokes/drama/run around mishmash.
Old 05-10-10, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Different strokes, I loved this episode. It might be my favorite of this season so far. I see a lot of people call this filler, but I thought it was an incredibly fun hour. Who is a lot of things, but I think the biggest draw for me is the fun adventure aspect of the show, and this had that. Also, I thought there were a lot of really nice character beats that add to the overall tapestry of these travelers.

Things I adored:

-the silly face Amy makes when taking the picture
-the conversation between the dude and the Doctor about people trying to impress the Doctor
-the conversation between the Doctor and the Countess (chemistry like whoa!)
-the Doctor's overall excitement about the situation

I'm going to watch this episode again. Also, to be a show that isn't know for effects, I thought Venice looked remarkable.
Old 05-10-10, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You mean Croatia?
http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Vampires_in_Venice
Old 05-10-10, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think that Moffat has a very large plan for the season laid out in his head. I think we are gradually getting glimpses of that as S5 unfolds. In the Davies era this would normally take place in the last 5 minutes of the penultimate episode, only to have everything resolved in that last hour. I hope that by Moffat taking this approach we'll get more of a reward at the end of S5. If the series does unfold in that manner I think it will have more rewatchability, whereas past series such focus was on individual episodes.
Old 05-11-10, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just caught up by watching the second angels episode and the Venice one.

Some excellent casting, episode ideas, sets, and somehow it just doesn't draw me in. That thing about 'I kept my courage' was awesome, the dialogue by the headmistress of the Venice school was terrific, the angels are awesome, but somehow it's just not clicking.

The new doctor seems to be almost flat, not able to 'scale it up and then get serious' like Tennant.
Old 05-12-10, 06:30 AM

I think some of the things that happened in "Venice" will play a larger part in an overall series arc. Hasn't it been something like 25 years since the Doctor been put on trial and held accountable for his part in the extinction of entire races?
Old 05-16-10, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Amy's Choice - May 15, 2010

AMY'S CHOICE - MAY 15, 2010

Really enjoyed this week's episode. The main characters really shined in this one.

I'll wait 'til others have seen it to say more. Good episode IMO!
Old 05-16-10, 07:07 AM

Interesting episode, Amy's Choice. I've read elsewhere who the Dream Lord really is, which was supported by a reflection the Doctor saw in the TARDIS console at the end of the ep. Rory continues to be an interesting character, and pregnant Pond was a hoot. Were the aliens Doc and the companions ran into in the village real, or just part of the dream? Pretty creepy making grandma the monster this time around.
Old 05-16-10, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by N2DVD
Interesting episode, Amy's Choice. I've read elsewhere who the Dream Lord really is, which was supported by a reflection the Doctor saw in the TARDIS console at the end of the ep...
What? Aside from that shot, the Doc pretty much explained in gobbledygook detail who "The Dream Lord" was. That was the only problem with the ep (well, aside from "Amy's Choice" being a lame title). The ending and explanation seemed unnecessary and tacked on. Everything else, the concept and interaction, really sung. Its a shame the ep had to end like it did. Rather than be mysterious and continue the eps esoteric tone, "The Dream Lord" is quickly explained away in the end. Otherwise I loved it. Best episode of the season thus far.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.