Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Doctor Who Series 5 Discussion (BBC)

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-10, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
Re: Doctor Who Series 5 Discussion (BBC)

The Angels ep is the one everyone has been waiting for, a knockout. And the preview looked like the the followup will be just as good or better.

The precredit opening was classic, Amy's video encounter was a complete creepfest, and the sudden realization of just how much danger they were in reminded me of several of my favorite sci-fi action movies.
Old 04-25-10, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now that was a good episode.

Spoiler:
"There one's thing you never put in a trap- me."
Old 04-25-10, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is what I've been waiting for this season. The pacing, character moments... everything was spot on.
Old 04-25-10, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Best episode of the season so far. Some genuinely creepy moments and loved the banter between The Doctor, Amy and River.
Old 04-26-10, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have been liking the series. Many of my friends are still not sold on Matt. I think he is doing fine.
Old 04-26-10, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

I hate to say this, but I'm starting to get let down by this season. I enjoyed the 11th Hour a lot, but between seeing the Dalek's again and then this episode I'm losing some faith in Moffat. I enjoyed his stories greatly in the past, but this Angel's episode felt like a retreat of a lot of his previous work.

How are talking Angels different than the Vashta Narada?
Why are we seeing the Angels again so soon?

The episode had a lot of good moments, but overall I felt like the old was more obious than the new. I will say that the scene with TV was pretty creepy.

I do think Matt is doing a good job and settling into the role nicely. Interesting that this was the first episode filmed as well.
Old 04-27-10, 03:53 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I love River Song, she's a great addition to the whole Who mythology. Her conversation about piloting the TARDIS was great (especially the "leaving on the brakes" bit -- even if it does retcon earlier stories). And who taught her, I wonder?

I also thought poor Bob as the voice of the Angels was a great turn as well. He maintains a bit of his personality throughout his conversations with the Doctor.
Old 04-27-10, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nth Power
...loved the banter between The Doctor, Amy and River.
Yeah. They had a great chemistry together. I already love the dynamic between Amy and the Doctor, and River fit in nicely. I'm also so glad it doesn't seem like Amy is going to be falling for the Doctor, so like Donna, she's ribbing him all the time. If the Donna/Doctor dynamic was that of Big sister/little brother, the Amy/Doctor dynamic feels more like college buddies. It's refreshing.

This was the closest episode to a total homerun this season, but I've enjoyed all the eps so far. I feel like a nugget for worrying about Matt Smith's ability to play the role, as I already thing he's great. I can't wait to see him get some more material that lets him shine, as this season has been pretty lite.
Old 04-28-10, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

if there's a villain in Who that creeps me out, it is a Weeping Angel. I was glued to the TV watching this episode. They just totally freak me out.... not being able to take your eye off an angel.
Old 04-28-10, 03:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nth Power
Best episode of the season so far. Some genuinely creepy moments and loved the banter between The Doctor, Amy and River.
Which continues my feeling about companions: the idea of companion works best when there are more then one companion traveling with the Doctor.
Old 04-28-10, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Groucho
I love River Song, she's a great addition to the whole Who mythology. Her conversation about piloting the TARDIS was great (especially the "leaving on the brakes" bit -- even if it does retcon earlier stories). And who taught her, I wonder?
??? Okay, one of the most iconic features of the show, the sound of the TARDIS cutting through the fabric of time and space, is now a mistake, the equivalent of the Doctor behaving like my grandmother driving with the parking brake on?... FUCK THAT.

I'm sorry, its maybe a minor quibble to most, but it just smacks to me as one of those things that is canon within a series that there was no need to rewrite and the reason for it is confusing, like turning The Force from something universal/metaphysical into a genetic anomaly. The fact that it served as a dig at the Doc by Moffats sassy cougar River Song just further annoys me. Its a dumb change and one that only serves the writers wannabe cool character, therefore I find it annoying.

Oh yeah, apparently that means The Master doesn't know how to properly drive his TARDIS either because his made the same noise.

Originally Posted by Superman07
...I enjoyed his stories greatly in the past, but this Angel's episode felt like a retreat of a lot of his previous work...
Overall I thought the ep was okay, of course its still only halfway through, so it could go down or uphill. Moffat does like to sort of repeat some themes, but I guess all writers do. I was a tad more irked that he had the Doc call the Angels the "most evolved, perfect, blah, blah, blah" threat ever. For Christs sake, pimp your own creation much. Even Terry Nation let a few serials go by before he went there.

Last edited by Slumbering Fist; 04-28-10 at 10:04 AM.
Old 04-28-10, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Slumbering Fist
??? Okay, one of the most iconic features of the show, the sound of the TARDIS cutting through the fabric of time and space, is now a mistake, the equivalent of the Doctor behaving like my grandmother driving with the parking brake on?... FUCK THAT.

I'm sorry, its maybe a minor quibble to most, but it just smacks to me as one of those things that is canon within a series that there was no need to rewrite and the reason for it is confusing, like turning The Force from something universal/metaphysical into a genetic anomaly. The fact that it served as a dig at the Doc by Moffats sassy cougar River Song just further annoys me. Its a dumb change and one that only serves the writers wannabe cool character, therefore I find it annoying.
I'm not an old Who fan so it didn't bother me. In fact, it felt consistent with other points that have been made about the Tardis being an old model and everything not working properly.

Plus her knowing how to do things that the Doctor doesn't/didn't are in line with his character. He's very cavalier, so I don't see him as the type to sit down and read the instruction manual that came with the Tardis.
Old 04-28-10, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As an old Who fan it didn't bother me either. They already did the same gag when Romana joined the Doctor in the late-70's.
Old 04-28-10, 09:42 AM

I love the gag even more now that I see Internet People™ getting worked up over it.

I guess I can understand the anger, since this is the first time there's ever been a continuity error or inconsistency in the 46+ years the show's been on the air.
Old 04-28-10, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by wmansir
As an old Who fan it didn't bother me either. They already did the same gag when Romana joined the Doctor in the late-70's.
Yeah, I remember that, but I bought the dynamic, the contrast of Tom Baker's oddball Doc and Romana's preen. Here it just served to make him look dumb and River look farty-superior.

Originally Posted by Groucho
I love the gag even more now that I see Internet People™ getting worked up over it.

I guess I can understand the anger, since this is the first time there's ever been a continuity error or inconsistency in the 46+ years the show's been on the air.
Yeah, yeah, yeah... internet whine, silly scifi continuity, whatever. I have no problem if the gag/change works, but in this case I just don't see it. I guess it has mostly to do with me not totally buying the River character... and when you dont like a character who is smug that just amplifies the annoyance. Ask Colin Baker.
Old 04-28-10, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, I remember that, but I bought the dynamic, the contrast of Tom Baker's oddball Doc and Romana's preen. Here it just served to make him look dumb and River look farty-superior.

Yeah, yeah, yeah... internet whine, silly scifi continuity, whatever. I have no problem if the gag/change works, but in this case I just don't see it. I guess it has mostly to do with me not totally buying the River character... and when you dont like a character who is smug that just amplifies the annoyance. Ask Colin Baker.
Well how do you know she knows what she was doing. She only talked about the blue stabalizer pully. Maybe she got lucky and doesn't really know it's the parking break. What if there really is no parking break.

I just hope that who/whatever she turns out to be is a surprise twist that doesn't come off as too obvious and really uninteresting.
Old 04-28-10, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gee, I loved that part of the episode. Actually, the whole episode was great. Loved it.
Old 04-28-10, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

I can't remember... did The Mater's TARDIS make a sound like the Doctor's TARDIS? (I'm thinking it did, but I could be misremembering.)

I'm thinking back to the classic era of Doctor Who here... I remember when the Anthony Ainley Master had a newer model TARDIS with a working chameleon circuit... and he could make his look like a column or a grandfather clock, and one time, even made his TARDIS look like a police box identical to the Doctor's and landed it inside the Doctor's TARDIS and made an infinite recursion loop.
Old 04-30-10, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Other TARDISes have been shown to make that noise, but dematerialize much faster, so usually you only hear the noise once.

God I think that was the nerdiest thing I've ever written.
Old 04-30-10, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Shazam
Other TARDISes have been shown to make that noise, but dematerialize much faster, so usually you only hear the noise once.

God I think that was the nerdiest thing I've ever written.
The nerdiest thing I've ever written is...you're wrong.

Any time a TARDIS sound effect was heard in the 'classic' series, it always lasted a few seconds. The Rani's and the Master's TARDIS sound effect was slightly distorted sounding, but they generally lasted the same length.

To further kibosh the hand brake theory, there was a Jon Pertwee episode where a Time Lord messenger materialized in front of the Doctor. The same sound effect was heard there, but no TARDIS was present.
Old 04-30-10, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh god, this must be what I sound like to other people when I talk about Star Trek.

Old 04-30-10, 02:34 PM

Are the Daleks a species?
Old 04-30-10, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Meglos
The nerdiest thing I've ever written is...you're wrong.

Any time a TARDIS sound effect was heard in the 'classic' series, it always lasted a few seconds. The Rani's and the Master's TARDIS sound effect was slightly distorted sounding, but they generally lasted the same length.

To further kibosh the hand brake theory, there was a Jon Pertwee episode where a Time Lord messenger materialized in front of the Doctor. The same sound effect was heard there, but no TARDIS was present.
Really? I swear they were shorter.

I'll defer to the nerd master though
Old 04-30-10, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I liked this episode.

The Angels are cool.
Old 05-01-10, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I enjoyed the 2nd part. They are really playing up the relevance of River. It'll be interesting to see who she is.

Spoiler:
So River may kill the Doctor in the future/past? Hmm...

I liked that they finally showed the angels actually moving.

The ending with Amy throwing herself at the Doctor was pretty funny.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.