Pawn Stars on History Channel

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-10, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Pawn Stars on History Channel

Originally Posted by ytrez
"so what are you looking to do with it?"
Ah- didn't realize there was Pawnshop lingo ;-)

-jason
Old 12-14-10, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Storage Wars, anyone?

Also Danielle out of the office was great.
Old 12-15-10, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Storage Wars, anyone?

Also Danielle out of the office was great.
Storage Wars is pretty good - so far. I never realized how much those folks actually pay for each of those lockers!

I don't like Danielle too much on AP. She thinks a bit too high of herself. I've never liked that about people.
Old 12-15-10, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

Storage Wars is pretty good, but I like Auction Hunters on Spike TV a little better.

Pawn Stars and American Pickers repeats are now on Lifetime at night as well.
Old 12-15-10, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For some reason I keep seeing Old Man at the supermarket. He seems to like to play video poker machines in the lobby (it is Las Vegas after all).
Old 12-16-10, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

The GF and I are addicted to Pawn Stars. I own both seasons on DVD, and for some strange reason they are so rewatchable to us. A lot of nights we'll have it on as just background noise, because we've seen all the episodes so many times

There is also a great drinking game I discovered on the Internet. Because every episode is pretty much the same, you're guaranteed to get drunk!

"If this thing turns out to be real, it could be worth BIG MONEY"
Old 12-17-10, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In a similar vein, I like Auction Wars on Discovery.
Old 12-17-10, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone seen the SciFi Channel version about an auction house that specializes in movie memorabilia? I find it a lot more interesting because they send people out to find stuff instead of waiting for it to walk in. Plus, finding what happened to Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (the producer gave it to a crewmember in lieu of money), or that Veruca Salt still has her golden ticket is real fun.
Old 12-17-10, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
Anyone seen the SciFi Channel version about an auction house that specializes in movie memorabilia? I find it a lot more interesting because they send people out to find stuff instead of waiting for it to walk in. Plus, finding what happened to Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (the producer gave it to a crewmember in lieu of money), or that Veruca Salt still has her golden ticket is real fun.
Yep, Hollywood Treasure. I've watched a few episodes and enjoyed it. They had Christopher Judge on one episode to authenticate a helmet that was claimed to be his from SG-1. Some of the stuff they auction off is pretty amazing.
Old 12-17-10, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I need to see this show asap
Old 12-17-10, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Hollywood Treasure

I watch that show and I really like it.

It's amazing how much people will pay for some of this stuff (I'm looking at you, Stargate SG1 props).
Old 12-17-10, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SethDLH
I need to see this show asap
Found a few episodes on demand! I love it, its basically all the things I like about the shows similar to it but with items much more to my interest.
Old 01-12-11, 05:20 AM

I watch this show all the time for some reason. I guess I like the exchange between the owner and customers.

But I saw the best last night. Woman brought in a Fabrege brooch. She had no idea the value. She asked for $2000. The guy said he had a conscience and offered her $15,000. She was stunned and then had the balls to ask for $17,000. He declined. Then she offered $16,000. He declined. Then she offered $15,500. He declined. Are you freaking kidding me lady!!??

Then another brought in a coin made by Paul Revere and wanted $150,000. Sure guy, you really think a pawn shop is going to pay you that much? Turns out it was fake anyway.
Old 01-12-11, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

fabrerge issued a statement that it was probably not one of their designs.
http://personalmoneystore.com/moneyb...spider-brooch/
Old 01-12-11, 08:02 AM

The article states, "Tatiana Zherebkina, spokeswoman for the company, called the reports of a Faberge spider brooch “untrue and unfounded,” claiming an eight-legged brooch does “not fit into the luxury jeweler’s creative vision.”

That to me says they just do not want to be associated with it now, not that they have any evidence or real reason to believe it is not from Faberge.

For something parallel, look at Coca-Cola. You will not find any official literature that acknowledge it was once made with cocaine and in some cases spokespersons for the company have outright denied it was ever used even though this ingredient is well documented. Nor will you find the CC swastika watch fobs created in 1925 or advertising using the swastika in the Coke museum.

Both of these were not bad to use in their time (cocaine was seen as medicinal and the swastika was a good luck token before being adopted by the Nazi party), but evidently they do not fit with Coca-Cola's "vision".

So, the Pawn Stars, using their knowledge and resources, probably did make a good, well informed purchase.

Sorry if that is long, but I am snowed in in Atlanta and have a lot of time on my hands.
Old 01-12-11, 11:59 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by greg613
sorry if that is long, but i am snowed in in atlanta and have a lot of time on my hands.
4"?
Old 01-12-11, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Greg613
So, the Pawn Stars, using their knowledge and resources, probably did make a good, well informed purchase.
not that im doubting the rest of your statement because that does seem plausable but you do know that the many parts of the show is extremely fake and set up dont you?
Old 01-12-11, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like watching Pawn Stars but a lot of it is scripted and fake definitely.

Chumlee is definitely smarter than he appears on the show. It's an act to make it funny and it works.
Old 01-12-11, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
4"?
Yea, we got just over four at our house, but a lot of it has since melted and then refrozen. But, I have been able to get caught up on a few from my unwatched pile.

Originally Posted by chino77
not that im doubting the rest of your statement because that does seem plausable but you do know that the many parts of the show is extremely fake and set up dont you?
I always thought the items and stories were real, but the conversations with the sellers and experts were set up. For high dollar items, you never see them do any research, but if it were something you weren't familiar with you could probably jump on google and eBay to find out how much to offer without asking an "expert" to come in. Although if you are getting something authenticated, it would be good to bring in someone knowledgeable.
Old 01-17-11, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by statcat
I like watching Pawn Stars but a lot of it is scripted and fake definitely.
^
This

When I randomly catch the show it pains me to watch how dick-like people get when it comes to money. Especially when it's something they didn't pay a dime for.

Also it's funny how much trouble the Pawn Stars "experts" get them in. Giving lots of new/random information plus an inflated price to desperate people? Oh my.
Old 01-18-11, 12:00 AM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

I love the guy that wanted $75,000 for Sammy Davis Jr's VHS tape collection. Blank videos with recorded episodes of Hill Street Blues.

Old 01-18-11, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

The article states, "Tatiana Zherebkina, spokeswoman for the company, called the reports of a Faberge spider brooch “untrue and unfounded,” claiming an eight-legged brooch does “not fit into the luxury jeweler’s creative vision.”

That to me says they just do not want to be associated with it now, not that they have any evidence or real reason to believe it is not from Faberge.

For something parallel, look at Coca-Cola. You will not find any official literature that acknowledge it was once made with cocaine and in some cases spokespersons for the company have outright denied it was ever used even though this ingredient is well documented. Nor will you find the CC swastika watch fobs created in 1925 or advertising using the swastika in the Coke museum.

Both of these were not bad to use in their time (cocaine was seen as medicinal and the swastika was a good luck token before being adopted by the Nazi party), but evidently they do not fit with Coca-Cola's "vision".

Sorry if that is long, but I am snowed in in Atlanta and have a lot of time on my hands.
Coca-cola is STILL made with cocaine. A company imports coca leaves for coca-cola and bleaches out the cocaine before selling them to Coca Cola. But the process is not 100% effective so coca cola still has minute traces of cocaine as well as alcohol because of the bleaching process.
Old 01-18-11, 08:22 AM

I always thought the items and stories were real,
there is a episode where a guy comes in with a vintage les paul. i forget the actual story but the guy who brought it in works at the experts shop that came in to look at it. theres other stories of people being given items by producers to take in to sell and act like they are theirs. weed through the imdb boards and you will see some proof there.

same goes with american pickers...its all set up. antique archeology wasnt even a real shop until the show started. mike was a vintage bike salesman and frank had his own business. i still enjoy them both though.

Last edited by chino77; 01-18-11 at 01:48 PM.
Old 01-18-11, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ever notice how in the promos the Pawn Stars store is full of people and on the shows it's empty? I realize there needs to be staging but it almost seems scripted as well.

Love American Pickers. Storage wars is interesting but they are playing for the cameras, not unlike Cops. I guess this is out new "History". Wonder what our ancesters will think of us?
Old 01-18-11, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by kayak99
Storage wars is interesting but they are playing for the cameras, not unlike Cops.
i was on a forum for storage owners and they were all talking about how fake it is. they were happy that since the show started people keep calling about the auctions thinking they are going to get rich. when in reality you dont really find stuff like they show on the show. its usually bags of old clothes and stained up couches.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.