Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Pawn Stars on History Channel

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-10, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Pawn Stars on History Channel

It is fun to watch greedy people getting screwed and others attempt a bargain after finding out the actual value of their junk
Old 07-08-10, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
The expert will say something like, "This will most likely sell at auction for $15,000" and then Rick makes an offer for a fraction of that and the guy takes it!

Now that you know exactly how much your item is worth, why not take it out and at least TRY to sell it yourself for close to the asking price?! Hell, they were given an appraisal for free. Might as well take advantage of it. It's not like the pawn shop isn't going to be there if you realize you can't sell it for more.

I guess most people who use pawn shops need cash NOW but it still irks me.
If you have BBC America, try to watch some episodes of Cash in the Attic. Just because an expert appraises something for $500, doesn't mean it'll actually get $500 at auction. If there are two or more people who really want an object, it could go for well over the estimate, but it's just as likely, especially with a specialized item, that no one will want it or the bids won't meet the reserve. The experts are right on average, but you never know if your object is an outlier.
Old 07-08-10, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bob_Bobbson
Seriously though, I can't believe I'm one of the only people here that likes the show. All three of the owners seem to have great knowlege of history and a lot of the items that come in are really interesting.
The old guy seems to have genuine knowledge. The bald guy, however, usually sounds like he googled the subject off camera and is repeating whatever he found.
Old 07-08-10, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ronnie1776
It is fun to watch greedy people getting screwed and others attempt a bargain after finding out the actual value of their junk
it's more fun when the pawn shop guys get screwed, happens occasionally
Old 07-08-10, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I just saw the episode where they bought the, The Who Woodstock contract for Rick.

I was laughing as soon as I saw it come in the store. My family didn't understand so I went and pulled my copy out of my Live at Leeds LP to show them.

Seriously, I have no idea how those guys couldn't tell that all the handwritten stuff was printed on it. It's a pretty obvious reproduction
Old 07-09-10, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by nateman
Rick does get pretty cheap sometimes, though. I think the customer shouldn't think for a minute he or she is going to get what the item is valued at but sometimes Rick offers the person with the item basically nothing and you might as well just keep the item.
Yeah, the art of the negotiation is fun to watch, even though you can tell Rick hates to part with his money.

I mentioned that sometimes Rick seems like he's trying to get over on the deal, but what about the customers who do the same. It's funny to see a customer try to pump up the item, like the guy who came in with a championship ring. He tried to sell it was player's ring, but Rick called him out letting him know it was a ring for a trainer and detailed why. If I'm remembering correctly the guy walked out, then came back later.

Rick does let the customer know up front that he has to make a profit too, but I wonder if he should let them know how long it would take and how uncertain it would be to take the item to auction.

That being said, if I had something to sell, I'd probably want the old man to do business with me.
Old 07-09-10, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
Anyone catch "American Pickers"? Two absolute losers drive around going thru peoples shit looking for antiques. They are about the two dorkiest dudes I've ever seen on television...
its funny cause when i read this the other day i thought "why does he think they are dorky?". well i had just started watching season one. i just finished catching up to the newest episode. and wow these guys got pretty dorky as the episodes went on. especially this season.. not really sure why they are losers though. they have a business and work hard...not really losers in my eyes.

i really like pawn stars but im actually more of a fan of american pickers now. i find it very interesting to see all the people they meet and to get a look at all the stuff they have.

as for chumly. i wanna hate him...but he is pretty damn funny. i just hope they dont start focusing on him like they did with the extremely unfunny mikey on american choppers.

also the dad whatever his name is, annoys me with his laugh.

come to think of it i dont like anyone on pawn stars except chumly. then again i only watch for the stuff. i could care less about the people.
Old 07-09-10, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by iggystar
Rick does let the customer know up front that he has to make a profit too, but I wonder if he should let them know how long it would take and how uncertain it would be to take the item to auction.
I hate when he has a customer name a price, then laughs in their face because it's too high. I'd give him a slap.
Old 07-09-10, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

American Pickers filmed an episode in my hometown that just aired and I gotta say it's pretty neat seeing a very close family friend on there (I have known Johnny Walker my entire life)
Old 07-10-10, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by JJE-187
American Pickers filmed an episode in my hometown that just aired and I gotta say it's pretty neat seeing a very close family friend on there (I have known Johnny Walker my entire life)
nice. just watched that one. he seems like a real cool guy.
Old 07-10-10, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bd...?
My dad happened to drive by there twice on business and said the parking lot is always packed. Trying to get on TV I guess
My gf and I drove by it when we were in Vegas last month. Line wrapped around the block, and the front has huge signage reminding everyone that it's from the TV show.
Old 07-10-10, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by chino77
nice. just watched that one. he seems like a real cool guy.
He is a really cool guy, My uncle works for him and he is the one that found that Cross that they bought.
Old 08-25-10, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

After watching Hardcore Pawn on TruTV I have a new appriciation of Pawn Stars.
Old 08-25-10, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
After watching Hardcore Pawn on TruTV I have a new appriciation of Pawn Stars.
100000000000000000000000000000000000% agree
Old 08-26-10, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Pawn Stars
Hardcore Pawn

Will we soon get a show about a store specializing in used toys called Kiddie Pawn?
Old 08-26-10, 10:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

The gambler's kit that guy brought in last week's episode(Ace in the Hole) was awesome!
Old 08-26-10, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 907 Likes on 669 Posts

Originally Posted by Setzer
The gambler's kit that guy brought in last week's episode(Ace in the Hole) was awesome!
Yeah it was. And I don't blame the guy for not selling it. He'd have no problem getting full value for it on his own.
Old 08-26-10, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

yeah. that was one of the few people smart enough to realize what he had. personally, i'd feel weird selling an item appraised by a guy who is friend's with the person buying said object. not that they are pulling a scam, but an independent assessment seems prudent when you have a valuable item.
Old 08-26-10, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Hardcore Pawn is growing on me a bit, a much different show than 'Pawn Stars' - that's for sure! Hell, it's something nice and quick to watch until 'Rehab - Party in Vegas' comes back on next month...mmm, booooobies
Old 12-07-10, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Pawn Stars and American Pickers are back. Interesting both episodes had "I better give this person more money since I am being filmed" moments.

I would love to have that lobby card display that Mike found.
Old 12-07-10, 07:25 AM

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Pawn Stars and American Pickers are back. Interesting both episodes had "I better give this person more money since I am being filmed" moments.

I would love to have that lobby card display that Mike found.
I thought it was cool when those guys from AP went back and gave the guy half of their profits from those side-show banners - but then again, maybe they felt like they "had to" or else they'd look like shit for profiting off of the poor guy with the destroyed fairground!

And as for Pawn Stars and AP, one thing I don't care much for on these reality shows is the "fake" plot lines and forced banter.

And Chumlee from Pawn Stars is either a complete moron, or putting on an act. His "stupid" act is getting a bit tiresome now - altho they seem to be milking it for all it's worth for entertainment on the show.
Old 12-07-10, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

I knew as soon as they got the $10 grand for the posters, they were gonna give that guy some of the money, but really $5000 was a bit much. So the guy was gonna fixup one ride? That park looked like it needed about $1 million dollars of repairs.
Old 12-07-10, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So it just occurred to me last night as I was watching Pawn Stars- is this shop ACTUALLY a Pawn shop? I believe that real Pawn shops actually take things with, at least the "premise" of the item being collateral on a loan. None of these people seem to be under any illusion that they're going to be buying the stuff back- they're just dumping stuff to make money on it. Am I missing something here?

-jason
Old 12-07-10, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by fuzzbox
So it just occurred to me last night as I was watching Pawn Stars- is this shop ACTUALLY a Pawn shop? I believe that real Pawn shops actually take things with, at least the "premise" of the item being collateral on a loan. None of these people seem to be under any illusion that they're going to be buying the stuff back- they're just dumping stuff to make money on it. Am I missing something here?

-jason
They often ask "so what are you looking to do with it?", which means pawn or sell. They'll do either but the majority of the people coming in on the show have been looking to sell. I recall a guy who pawned his tractor trailer but, like I said, the majority have been sales.
Old 12-07-10, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fuzzbox

-jason
They have a back room full of pawned stuff, they were cleaning it out when I was watching it over the weekend. I take it most people just sell their stuff, but those who do pawn have like 100 days to pay them back with interest or the pawn shop can sell the item.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.