Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Harper's Island -- Series Finale -- "Gasp/Sigh" -- 7/11/09

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who will be revealed as the 2nd killer?
Abby
5.26%
Henry
89.47%
Shea
0%
Trish
0%
Jimmy
5.26%
Christopher
0%
Danny
0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-09, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Harper's Island

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

John Wakefield continues his murderous rampage on the island, as the survivors attempt to find and kill him before he wipes them all out.

R.I.P. going into final 2 episodes:

Spoiler:

Ben (Trish's cousin)
Uncle Marty (Henry's Uncle)
Reverend Fain
Kelly (the outcast)
Lucy (the blonde bridesmaide)
Hunter (Trish's ex)
Joel (Henry's friend-accidental death)
Thomas (Trish's father)
Richard (Trish's brother in law)
Malcolm (Henry's friend)
JD (Henry's brother)
Cole Harkin
Deputy Garrett
Beth
Katherine (Trish's Step Mom)
Sheriff Mills (Abby's Dad)
Maggie (the wedding planner)
Officer Red Shirt #1
Officer Red Shirt #2
Cal (the British Guy)
Chloe (the flirt)
Nikki (the bartender)
Shane (the Townie)
Deputy Lillis

Old 07-11-09, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Harper's Island -- Series Finale -- "Gasp/Sigh" -- 7/11/09

Looking forward to the conclusion.

Shouldn't there have been an option for Other, as it would be in keeping with an Agatha Christie style to have someone not be dead?

Doug
Old 07-11-09, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cdoug57
Looking forward to the conclusion.

Shouldn't there have been an option for Other, as it would be in keeping with an Agatha Christie style to have someone not be dead?

Doug
That's what I've been thinking for a long time. It's so "And Then there Were None" which this vastly inferior work seems to be so ever loosely based on (or inspired by).

Still, I'll be watching tonight.
Old 07-11-09, 08:43 PM

Old 07-11-09, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^You were right. That was my guess in the above poll. Sorta wish they had gone with another individual as I thought the motivation was weak, "I was adopted and my parents never told me."

Really lame motivation as far as I was concerned.

Still and all, a good summer series that was very entertaining with some rather suspenseful moments. Really hated Danny's ending. Taken from The Dark Knight maybe. Had already pegged the key handoff in the jail cell.

If the dvd set is cheap enough and the extras substantial, this might be a purchase.

Doug
Old 07-11-09, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

^You were right. That was my guess in the above poll. Sorta wish they had gone with another individual as I thought the motivation was weak, "I was adopted and my parents never told me."

Still and all, a good summer series that was very entertaining with some rather suspenseful moments. Really hated Danny's ending. Taken from The Dark Knight maybe. Had already pegged the key handoff in the jail cell.

If the dvd set is cheap enough and the extras substantial, this might be a purchase.

Doug
The final episode was pretty abysmal.

I agree; weak motive. I really wish the producers had chosen another path. I had pegged Jimmy as the killer for a while, but it became a bit obvious that it was Henry. Oh well. It was a fun diversion, but nothing more.

Elaine Cassidy is adorable, though.
Old 07-11-09, 11:11 PM

For awhile there I was hoping for a really big twist with Sully being Wakefield's son. He was still in the running when they were down to 3 white guys.

Maybe in about 10 years we'll get a sequel, with Madison as the hero/villain.
Old 07-11-09, 11:16 PM

Doug
Originally Posted by awil1026
The final episode was pretty abysmal.

I agree; weak motive. I really wish the producers had chosen another path. I had pegged Jimmy as the killer for a while, but it became a bit obvious that it was Henry. Oh well. It was a fun diversion, but nothing more.

Elaine Cassidy is adorable, though.
I agree the motive was pretty weak and I also another person had been the killer. I also hope Elaine Cassidy breaks into more roles here in the U.S.
Old 07-11-09, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm glad that Jimmy and Abby got away, in the end. I had a feeling for a few weeks that it was Henry, which I hated, because I liked his character. Damn, that wedding video at the end was kind of a fucked up way to end the series.
Old 07-12-09, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 154 Posts

Unfortunately, it was kind of obvious for a few weeks that it had to be Henry. Still, I agree with everyone that it was pretty weak motivation to murder pretty much everyone you've ever known. He was killing people he'd literally been friends with for decades. I think if you had a friend that was that wacked out you'd probably know.

All those people die, and Jimmy lives. Really? I thought Jimmy was horribly annoying from episode one, and unlike characters like Sully and Danny I never grew to like him. Though I knew it was coming as soon as she put the wedding dress on I was disappointed that Trish had to die. I liked Trish.

As for the wedding video, I thought it was kind of odd that we heard from Cal, but we didn't see Beth or Lucy. They were bridemaids after all.
Old 07-12-09, 12:20 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really wish they had added an extra element to Henry's back story. For instance, if they had suggested his adopted father sexually abused him or something, that would at least have added a level of believability to his vengeance. Instead, his story just ends up as "boo hoo, poor Henry", just like Sully said.

The thing I did like was that the story took that "let's live together forever" swerve in the last half hour instead of just running it out a prolonged chase scene.
Old 07-12-09, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

That whole episode was ridiculously bad.
Old 07-12-09, 01:41 AM

All in all a pretty enjoyable series, not perfect, but at least they tried something different.

I think it should have only gone 9 episodes, instead of 13.

This would be fun viewing over 1 day with a group of people who have never seen it before.

Chris
Old 07-12-09, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I enjoyed the last two episode but also thought that Henry's motivation was a bit out there.
Old 07-12-09, 04:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

You're looking at his motivation from the perspective of a sane person, which Henry clearly was not thanks to his father being a crazed murderer.

Wakefield went on a killing spree the first time around because he got dumped, and found out his son was dumped as well. Henry found out his whole life is a lie. He finds out his boyhood crush is really his sister, getting to live the life that he felt entitled to.

While he certainly went overboard, he followed his genetics, and acted in the way his father did.
Old 07-12-09, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKing
You're looking at his motivation from the perspective of a sane person, which Henry clearly was not thanks to his father being a crazed murderer.

Wakefield went on a killing spree the first time around because he got dumped, and found out his son was dumped as well. Henry found out his whole life is a lie. He finds out his boyhood crush is really his sister, getting to live the life that he felt entitled to.

While he certainly went overboard, he followed his genetics, and acted in the way his father did.
I was going to say something like this. Crazy people by definition are different in many ways, including motivation, than sane people.

What seems off to me is that, with the reveal of how crazy Henry was, he was able to cover it up so well for 11 episodes and all that came before.
Old 07-12-09, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 154 Posts

So what ever happened to Lucy's dog?
Old 07-12-09, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The "genetic serial-killer" angle was one of the few things I liked about the plot wrap-up. When Henry said that learning his father was Wakefield explained many of his urges, it made a lot of sense to me.

What I really didn't like, was after going through all that with Wakefield, he turned on him pretty suddenly. I didn't buy that it was solely to protect Abby, and I really hated the whole "living alone on the island together" coda. For one thing, where were they hiding while all the crime scene investigators were combing the island for bodies and stuff? (That part when she woke up reminded me of the ending of AI Artificial Intelligence for some reason.)

I thought it would have been more believable for Henry to turn on Wakefield, if after he stabbed Trish she said she was pregnant and he realized that Wakefield made him kill his child. That would have been a more believable twist.

And it really didn't make sense that Henry kept Jimmy alive just so he could "confess". What would Henry do with such a confession?
Old 07-12-09, 11:01 AM

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

I really enjoyed the finale. I was kind of worried the ending would suck, but it didn't. I thought Henry's motivation was fine. He killed everyone he knows. It's not like he's NOT going to be a psycho.
Old 07-12-09, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Who kidnapped Madison?
I thought she said that it wasn't the Sheriff but she was told to say that is was.
Was it Wakefield? HENRY?
Old 07-12-09, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Septemberbaby
Who kidnapped Madison?
I thought she said that it wasn't the Sheriff but she was told to say that is was.
Was it Wakefield? HENRY?
It was revealed that it was Wakefield. Henry was the one bringing them food and such (which Madison didn't know). Wakefield told her to lie and say it was the Sheriff.
Old 07-12-09, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jadzia
The "genetic serial-killer" angle was one of the few things I liked about the plot wrap-up. When Henry said that learning his father was Wakefield explained many of his urges, it made a lot of sense to me.

What I really didn't like, was after going through all that with Wakefield, he turned on him pretty suddenly. I didn't buy that it was solely to protect Abby, and I really hated the whole "living alone on the island together" coda. For one thing, where were they hiding while all the crime scene investigators were combing the island for bodies and stuff? (That part when she woke up reminded me of the ending of AI Artificial Intelligence for some reason.)

I thought it would have been more believable for Henry to turn on Wakefield, if after he stabbed Trish she said she was pregnant and he realized that Wakefield made him kill his child. That would have been a more believable twist.

And it really didn't make sense that Henry kept Jimmy alive just so he could "confess". What would Henry do with such a confession?
As far as them hiding, I think the island was so big that it was feasible that they could have hidden somewhere. I don't know. The Jimmy being kept alive thing was obviously for a happy ending for the viewers, and they had to explain it away somehow. I thought the way they went about it was kind of weak, as you said, but I don't know how they could have done it better. I mean, they already believed Henry and Abby were dead in the church fire, and presumably Jimmy too. So I'm not 100% sure who would have come looking for them, which is what Henry said Jimmy signing the confession would prevent. He said something about Madison and Shea getting off the island being the reason, but the FBI (or whoever that was) told them they all died, and they really had no reason not to believe that.
Old 07-12-09, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Quake1028
I'm glad that Jimmy and Abby got away, in the end. I had a feeling for a few weeks that it was Henry, which I hated, because I liked his character. Damn, that wedding video at the end was kind of a fucked up way to end the series.
I agree with all of this. I had the killer pegged as Henry for awhile so no big surprise there. I also had a feeling that it had to do with him being in love with Abby the whole time, I didn't really think of the Wakefield's son angle.

As the show went on there were characters that I started to like. Danny, Sully, Cal and Chloe for sure. I liked Trish the whole way through and it was sad to see her go the way she did, especially with the wedding dress on.

The wedding video at the end was a great way to end it.

I'm sure the whole series is riddled with plot holes but I would enjoy seeing this again from the beginning sometime down the line. And for Netflix users: This show is available on instant viewing.

In the end, the show could have been much better but I did enjoy it. I'd look forward to another season of this but it looks like that won't happen with the dismal ratings the show got.

Edit: And I thought the ending would have been fantastic if it just ended with the FBI telling Shay that everyone had died in the church. Just like it was told originally that Wakefield had died after the first rampage it would be a good way to end it being told that Wakefield's son died after the second rampage without us actually seeing it happen. Thus leading us to believe that Henry threw Jimmy, Wakefield and Abby in the church and got away. Then cut to the wedding video.

Last edited by Goat3001; 07-12-09 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07-12-09, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I pegged Henry 5 minutes into the pilot, but then nixed the idea since he couldn't have physically been at the first couple of murders. I stopped watching after episode 3 then discover in this forum that there were, in fact, two killers and it was Henry all along. Glad I didn't commit to this weekly, or I might have thrown a brick through my TV. Caught the last 15 minutes of the finale, and that was some of the worst acting I've seen in prime time in a while.

It's a shame, becuase this was a pretty good premise for a TV show - too bad they turned it into Murder 90210 - it could have been cool.
Old 07-12-09, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by mwbmis
So what ever happened to Lucy's dog?
I thought the dog would have turned up later. Also Lucy's burned corpse was never found unless Henry put it in the church.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.