DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Cleveland Show -- Family Guy spinoff (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/557667-cleveland-show-family-guy-spinoff.html)

mrpayroll 02-29-08 11:30 AM

"Cleveland" on map as "Family Guy" spin-off

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080229/...familyguy_dc_1

By Kimberly Nordyke and Nellie Andreeva

Fri Feb 29, 2:17 AM ET

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - "Family Guy's" henpecked husband Cleveland Brown might be getting his own show.

The Fox network and the show's producer, 20th Century Fox TV, are developing a spin-off from their hit animated series centered on Peter Griffin's bathtub-accident-prone neighbor, sources said.

The project, tentatively titled "Cleveland," is being written by "Family Guy" creator Seth MacFarlane, Mike Henry -- a writer/producer who voices Cleveland -- and Rich Appel, an executive producer on MacFarlane's other Fox cartoon, "American Dad."

Cleveland, who plays off black stereotypes, is the most levelheaded among Griffin's trio of friends. He's also pushed around by his wife.

Once canceled by Fox, "Family Guy" triumphantly returned on the network in 2005. It is Fox's top-rated comedy and has grown into a $1 billion franchise with red-hot DVD and merchandise sales.

Fox executives have made it a priority to find another hit animated comedy to complement their Sunday comedy lineup. They have several cartoons in the works, including an animated version of the 2003 short-lived live-action comedy "The Pitts." In addition to "Cleveland," Fox is also developing a spin-off of the drama series "Prison Break," set at a female prison.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter
Chris

Deftones 02-29-08 11:45 AM

Hmmmm. I'll reserve judgment, but I'm not sure how this is going to work out. Could be great (with all the good FG cameos) or could be terrible.

magiccmom 02-29-08 11:54 AM

Who did Cleveland have to sleep with to land this deal?

mrpayroll 02-29-08 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by magiccmom
Who did Cleveland have to sleep with to land this deal?

http://students.washington.edu/uwisa...y/quagmire.jpg

Chris

rfduncan 02-29-08 12:53 PM

Cleveland, who plays off black stereotypes, is the most levelheaded among Griffin's trio of friends. He's also pushed around by his wife.
... who he divorced two seasons ago. What the hell?!?!

Charlie Goose 02-29-08 01:15 PM

Still waiting for Chief Wiggum P.I.

milo bloom 02-29-08 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Still waiting for Chief Wiggum P.I.

"Look Big Daddy, it's regular daddy!"

Yeah, Cleveland is best as a supporting character, don't see this as working out too well.

What was The Pitts about?

DeputyDave 02-29-08 02:02 PM

I'm a big Family Guy fan (sucker), but I can't see this working.

CPA-ESQ. 02-29-08 02:21 PM

They have several cartoons in the works, including an animated version of the 2003 short-lived live-action comedy "The Pitts."
:hairpull: like the first time around wasn't bad enough - This was the worst F-ing show I ever laid eyes on - why would they want to bring it back - Why????

Shannon Nutt 02-29-08 02:21 PM

Calling a show "Cleveland" is kind of a recipe for failure, isn't it? :)

dhmac 02-29-08 02:34 PM

:lol:

Honestly, though, instead of Cleveland, Quagmire is the character who should get a spin-off show.

NiCK Crush 02-29-08 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Calling a show "Cleveland" is kind of a recipe for failure, isn't it? :)

Cleveland Rocks. And i'm being serious. Love the town.

-NiCK

mrpayroll 02-29-08 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush

-NiCK

Oh, I get it.

The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame is in Cleveland, Cleveland Rocks! ;)

Chris

magiccmom 02-29-08 04:02 PM

I just dont think Cleveland has the acting chops to pull this off.

nateman 02-29-08 05:55 PM

So this pretty much means that "King of the Hill" is getting cancelled? :(

MartinBlank 02-29-08 06:38 PM

I knew Fox was stupid, but holy shit -ohbfrank-

Michael Ballack 02-29-08 10:04 PM

I'd rather see a Quagmire or even a Joe spin off myself.

Ph8te 02-29-08 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by dhmac
:lol:

Honestly, though, instead of Cleveland, Quagmire is the character who should get a spin-off show.

+1 Quagmire would be an "interesting" one to show. I like Cleveland, but I just dont see this becoming successful IMO.

Gizmo 02-29-08 11:59 PM

So is it eventually going to be a Family Guy Sunday lineup? Family Guy, American Dad, and Cleveland? Oh, and the Simpsons! Oh vey.

Cusm 03-01-08 01:22 AM

Hell I would be more interested in an Ollie Williams spin off.

Anubis2005X 03-01-08 02:55 AM

Wow, Fox is even dumber than I gave them credit for...

NiCK Crush 03-01-08 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by mrpayroll
Oh, I get it.

The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame is in Cleveland, Cleveland Rocks! ;)

Chris

Also, i remember finding the coolest quartz and stones on the playground growing up...

-NiCK

dhmac 03-01-08 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush

-NiCK

"Cleveland Rocks" was the theme of "The Drew Carey Show" at some point, wasn't it?

magiccmom 03-01-08 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by dhmac
"Cleveland Rocks" was the theme of "The Drew Carey Show" at some point, wasn't it?

You are correct sir.

NitroJMS 03-01-08 12:34 PM

They'd be better off stealing the old "World of Springfield" concept that was kicked around for a Simpsons spin-off. In that idea, the show would have been more of an anthology series focusing on different supporting characters each week and rarely feature the Simpsons. It might actually even work better for Family Guy since they've spent less time fleshing out the other characters beyond the Griffins and the Spooner St. familes (Joe, Cleveland, Quagmire, Herbert).